PDA

View Full Version : Official tMP London & Southern Counties Regional 2007 thread

Pages : 1 [2]

NeilW
21.03.2007, 14:06
Hi folks,

Anyone know where I can get a recording of us (Stonesfield) doing our distinguished rendition of the Wayfarer in the First Section on Saturday. I really want to know if we were as **** as "Mantovani" Childs seemed to think!

I know there were recordings for sale on the day, but are they still available?
And if so, where from?

Cheers

Dave

The CD notes are on Doyen paper, so you could contact them. I think the "selling" bit was being done by World of Brass (wasn't it - it was in the programme...) so they might be worth an email too... On the day you had to buy a number of copies, but that might not be true after the event...

Certainly our recording is somewhat over-echo'd - but at least we can hear it (it was the "easy listening" on the coach back home :cool: )

Neil.

dbate
21.03.2007, 14:16
Well done mate. Are you down from your cloud yet? :-)

Dave

This one was aimed at Steve Taylor from Chalgrove, by the way! I assumed everyone would know who I meant!

NeilW
21.03.2007, 14:21
I am sorry to hear that Ian Graves is a really nice guy. Having said that it is no surprise we as conductors are always in the firing line if things are not going well.

Yes, Ian is a nice guy. I've known him for years.

You just don't want to behind him when he's leading a march - he takes HUGE strides! Even worse if you're one of the less tall players (which I'm not!). I marched behind him in a massed military / amateur band on something called "Cavalry Day" a few years ago in Hyde Park.

Neil.

Lawrencediana
21.03.2007, 14:34

You just don't want to behind him when he's leading a march - he takes HUGE strides! Even worse if you're one of the less tall players (which I'm not!). I marched behind him in a massed military / amateur band on something called "Cavalry Day" a few years ago in Hyde Park.

Neil.

He is a little on the tall side isn't he, still I wish him well for his next venture

Andrew R
21.03.2007, 18:24
I'm sure Melvin will enjoy being called a dinosaur. :biggrin:

Not my terminology at all!

Luckily he will (I hope!) appreciate my poor attempt at levity in describing the vast experience he brings - it certainly came through in our performance.

Time to change subject before I'm sacked or worse get asked to play euph again!

Lawrencediana
21.03.2007, 18:34
Not my terminology at all!

Luckily he will (I hope!) appreciate my poor attempt at levity in describing the vast experience he brings - it certainly came through in our performance.

Time to change subject before I'm sacked or worse get asked to play euph again!

I'm sure he will see the funny side. It was good to see he was back on stage. He gave us all a bit of a scare. Congrats to you all and best of luck at the RAH .

Texus
21.03.2007, 19:03
I am sure that he has rather thick skin - protected by the ego of so many successes!

I am reliably informed that this sounds like a cheap shot! Not so - mearly a veiled congrats to Mr White's success across the years. Tinged with a little jealousy! Congrats to all qualifers!

supersplit
21.03.2007, 23:59
She said that 'most' of the audience had Aveley 1st ond Zone One 2nd.

Ipswich trom
22.03.2007, 11:43

Who is "She"? So did she ask a majority of those that listened to all bands as I certainly wasn't asked. Could it have been that Aveley and Zone 1 had more followers in the hall because judging by the cheering that is what it seemed like. Going on the loudest cheering Zone 1 walked it. :biggrin:

ed_the_euph
22.03.2007, 12:53

Neil.

Here here... although i never marched behind him, ive played in brass bands with him. and 'Gravy' is still used as a term to describe the epitome of smartness and professionalism within the cavalry.. Best of luck Ian in your next venture! p.s Cavalry SUNday... (gripper)

Andrew R
22.03.2007, 13:10

It's probably just as well that we don't have "one man one vote" in the audience then!

I didn't catch Z1 myself but did hear from other "gurus" in the bar that they were unlucky not to qualify.....who knows eh?....we will get the views of the 4br retro shortly and we all know that is the absolute truth!

Luckily for us Dr Childs was very clear in his own mind.

Will the Sec
22.03.2007, 13:12
I had Redbridge first and Haverhill second. But I did only hear those two bands. :rolleyes:

TromMan
22.03.2007, 16:09
Here here... although i never marched behind him, ive played in brass bands with him. and 'Gravy' is still used as a term to describe the epitome of smartness and professionalism within the cavalry.. Best of luck Ian in your next venture! p.s Cavalry SUNday... (gripper)

I agree wholeheartedly with all the quotes about Ian Graves..'tall, smart and a thoroughly decent bloke' etc...but what is equally important is the fact that he is not only a top class cornet player and 'posthornist' but also an excellent musician with a wealth of brass and military band experience, quite a catch as MD for any band worthy of his services.

It takes time to build a band and Ian has not had that opportunity. I must admit that the only time I have heard Hitchin was at the qualifiers this year apart from helping them out for one gig on Trombone in 1983 and in my humble opinion Ian did the very best he could with what was available to him :clap:.

I have had a long musical association with Ian to date both as a conductor and when he has helped out Denham Hendon Brass on the front row on numerous occasions and I believe Hitchin band have made a grave error of judgement in this case but the good news is that he is available for another band to snap up :D .

Gordon Davies
MD Denham Hendon Brass

Chunky
22.03.2007, 16:44
Anybody got any idea why the 4barsrest retrospectives are taking so long to be put up?

Owen S
22.03.2007, 16:52
Anybody got any idea why the 4barsrest retrospectives are taking so long to be put up?
I think last week's went up on Thursday too. I guess they have to wait until they've been written, then add in photos (hopefully), then check them. Add to that the huge comments mailbag for the last few weeks, plus all the press releases to be reprinted verbatim in their news section, and 4barsrest have an awful lot to do this week.

Ipswich trom
22.03.2007, 17:29

What's up mate, not happy with Phil Harper's comments? I told you that you were good too! :biggrin:

Chunky
22.03.2007, 17:46
What's up mate, not happy with Phil Harper's comments? I told you that you were good too! :biggrin:

Very happy with Mr Harpers comments, especially his comment about the bass section!

Ok I admit I just want to see if 4br say we are wonderful too!

Texus
22.03.2007, 17:49
Just want to read 4BR to find out how truly wonderful Redbridge are!!!

MoominDave
22.03.2007, 19:06
They're up! But not linked at the top of the 4br index page - scroll down to the bottom, and play amongst the links there...

Postcard (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2007/art695e.asp)
Championship section (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2007/art695d.asp)
1st section (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2007/art695c.asp)
2nd section (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2007/art695b.asp)
3rd section (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2007/art695a.asp)
4th section (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2007/art695.asp)

Their version of the Championship section:
1 ZOB
2 A&N
3 Redbridge
4 Kidlington
5 Wantage
6 Friary Guildford
7 Haverhill
8 Clacton
9 Welwyn
10 Soham

All phrased very politely indeed. A bit of a charm offensive after Mr Fox's plain offensive comments on the WoE last week.

the fish
22.03.2007, 19:07
Retro's now on 4barsrest, not on the main page yet you need to click on articles.

Regards

Julian

the fish
22.03.2007, 19:10
They're up! But not linked at the top of the 4br index page - scroll down to the bottom, and play amongst the links there...

Postcard (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2007/art695e.asp)
Championship section (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2007/art695d.asp)
1st section (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2007/art695c.asp)
2nd section (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2007/art695b.asp)
3rd section (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2007/art695a.asp)
4th section (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2007/art695.asp)

Their version of the Championship section:
1 ZOB
2 A&N
3 Redbridge
4 Kidlington
5 Wantage
6 Friary Guildford
7 Haverhill
8 Clacton
9 Welwyn
10 Soham

All phrased very politely indeed. A bit of a charm offensive after Mr Fox's plain offensive comments on the WoE last week.

Doh!!!

You just beat me to it Dave, just like the results on Sunday!!

Well done again by the way mate.

Regards

Julian

MoominDave
22.03.2007, 19:18
Cheers! I hope WSB are properly proud of their performance and result - hopefully scotching the notion that some people, both inside and outside of the organisation, have often put about that life in the 1st section, let alone the Championship section, is a bit too heady for them. It's been a pleasure to watch WSB's amazing organisation finally achieve some of the potential that its superb background setup merits - are we next to be steamrollered under their juggernaut of ever-improving contest results?!

Owen S
22.03.2007, 19:25
Paul Fensom really isn't going to be best amused.

The first section has a photo saying "A stylish win: Brosely's MD grabs the cup". The only problem is, it's underneath a photo of Gareth, clutching the cup for the conductor of the winning second section band.

Superb.

GJG
22.03.2007, 19:28
Paul Fensom really isn't going to be best amused.

The first section has a photo saying "A stylish win: Brosely's MD grabs the cup". The only problem is, it's underneath a photo of Gareth, clutching the cup for the conductor of the winning second section band.

Superb.

I'm only returning the favour; he's depped for me a couple of times ...

PeterBale
22.03.2007, 19:34

I've just rung Iwan after spotting that, Gareth, so hopefully your picture will be moved ointo its right slot in the 2nd Section soon ;)

Owen S
22.03.2007, 19:36
Well, just as long as he doesn't demand the cup as well.

GJG
22.03.2007, 19:52
I've just rung Iwan after spotting that, Gareth, so hopefully your picture will be moved ointo its right slot in the 2nd Section soon ;)
OK, thanks, Peter. As it happens I'd already sent him an e-mail as well, but no harm in "belt & braces" ...

GJG
22.03.2007, 21:09

So now my picture's in the right place, however I've apparently been re-christened ... :confused:

Regards,

Chris Green

2nd trom virtuoso
22.03.2007, 22:56
Have to agree with 4br, ZOB deserved to win by a mile, such classy playing. Suppose the fact that their principle players are very much orchestral players as well and so the depth and tone did seem slightly different but it didn't detract.

Still gutted at coming last of course and shocked :( thats banding, atleast our soloists got some very much earned praise, and I did get the feeling the trombone section being at the back didn't help things, we were basically playing into the horn players backs! But the intention was there from the m.d to bring out our parts, just didn't come off :(:(:(

Very nicely reviewed though 4BR and Mr Richardson!

MartinT
23.03.2007, 00:20
... are we next to be steamrollered under their juggernaut of ever-improving contest results?!

Oh, almost certainly! :)

Seriously, though, your comments are much appreciated - the cheque's in the post (and a square meal always available in Faringdon if the toast and cereal get too much over the next couple of weeks).

MoominDave
23.03.2007, 08:29
I'll see if things come to that desparate state... ;)

Have to agree with 4br, ZOB deserved to win by a mile, such classy playing. Suppose the fact that their principle players are very much orchestral players as well and so the depth and tone did seem slightly different but it didn't detract.

I'm not sure who the other principals were, but the euph was Anthony Somerville (I am told second-hand), who is enough of a bando to have helped out at the tMP Hadleigh event a few years ago. How did you feel that the depth and tone of who was different? What effect do you feel that primarily playing in a orchestra has on a "bander's" sound? I ask because I'm curious, and did not hear them play - I do a lot of both types of playing, and know many able players who can produce the appropriate sound for either setting (mostly a matter of vib, and brilliance of tone). You have to be good to get into the RCM (where ZOB is loosely based), so if there was a difference of style, I imagine that it came very deliberately from the man in the middle, Paul Archibald (whose brass band history I am not aware of). It's an interesting point.

Chunky
23.03.2007, 09:53
So now my picture's in the right place, however I've apparently been re-christened ... :confused:

Regards,

Chris Green

Could have been worse, Chris, they might have called you Hughie :wink:

andywooler
23.03.2007, 10:37
Nice to have been noticed by 4br - shame that being one of only 2 bands that dealt with the difficult opening didn't count for much in the final placings.
We were certainly the best band I heard all day.(and the only one btw ;) )

PeterBale
23.03.2007, 12:44

I'm not sure who the other principals were, but the euph was Anthony Somerville (I am told second-hand), who is enough of a bando to have helped out at the tMP Hadleigh event a few years ago. How did you feel that the depth and tone of who was different? What effect do you feel that primarily playing in a orchestra has on a "bander's" sound? I ask because I'm curious, and did not hear them play - I do a lot of both types of playing, and know many able players who can produce the appropriate sound for either setting (mostly a matter of vib, and brilliance of tone). You have to be good to get into the RCM (where ZOB is loosely based), so if there was a difference of style, I imagine that it came very deliberately from the man in the middle, Paul Archibald (whose brass band history I am not aware of). It's an interesting point.

Having heard Zone 1 on several occasions - they have done a couple of shared concerts at Hadleigh with Thundersley Brass - I always felt they are a band with great potential, if only they can schedule sufficient rehearsal time. I recall a conversation at the Areas with Simon Dobson, where he confessed that particular year (then in 1st section) they had only managed three practices!

Anthony was playing euph (he's one of our Hadleigh bandsmen, and also in the Grenadiers), but I'm not sure if he played principal. Principal cornet is Craig Bennet, who is an excellent piccolo trumpet player, and he recently moved into the principal cornet position from having played sop for a while. Can't help with any other names off-hand, but I know they usually have a pretty impressive trombone section, and some handy bass players.

I reckon if Paul Archibald - who comes originally from an SA background - sticks with them, things could get quite competitive in L&SC.

PS: Keith Schroeter, Thundersley's MD, is in the horn section.

2nd trom virtuoso
23.03.2007, 12:50
How did you feel that the depth and tone of who was different? What effect do you feel that primarily playing in a orchestra has on a "bander's" sound? I ask because I'm curious, and did not hear them play - I do a lot of both types of playing, and know many able players who can produce the appropriate sound for either setting (mostly a matter of vib, and brilliance of tone). You have to be good to get into the RCM (where ZOB is loosely based), so if there was a difference of style, I imagine that it came very deliberately from the man in the middle, Paul Archibald (whose brass band history I am not aware of). It's an interesting point.
All of the players in ZOB are outstanding and to even get into the RCM you have to be extremely talented. The thing I only slightly picked up on was some of the cornet tones...extremely trumpet like but it wasn't a bad thing at all its just the mellowness and in some cases vib wasn't there. A friend of mine tried getting into the RCM at the end of last year, they had space for trumpet players. He is very much a cornet player at heart but played on the trumpet, he played brilliantly but they were after players with specific trumpet like tones with no sign of brass bandy mellowness or vib I beleive so he didn't quite make it through.

In all fairness ZOB's performances was barely effected at all by this but it was only slightly noticable (and I mean slightly). They are a brilliant band, deserved a qualification place in my opinion!

MoominDave
23.03.2007, 13:17
Anthony was playing euph (he's one of our Hadleigh bandsmen, and also in the Grenadiers), but I'm not sure if he played principal.

The info (from my partner, who used to play for them, and spent some time chatting to them in the bar) was that he did...

andywooler
23.03.2007, 13:18
What effect do you feel that primarily playing in a orchestra has on a "bander's" sound?
It all depends - I have done litle real brass band playing in the last 5 years and only recently came out of retirement to play Sop with Brighton & Hove. My main playing in this time has been Orchestral.
I don't believe it hindered my sound on Soprano particularly - although others may disagree. I am quite comfortable in switching between the two.

MoominDave
23.03.2007, 13:36
Which I think adds to the point quite nicely. For someone who takes the time to appreciate the way different styles work, the transition is not hard.

For myself, I find that the main effect of spending some time away from bands (not that I have ever spent very long away from them) is that my distaste for the 'cure-all' indiscriminately applied lip vibrato tends to increase...
I wonder if Matt's cornet/trumpet friend suggested to the RCM auditioners (either explicitly, or through their playing) that they couldn't/didn't/wouldn't play without a bandy vib, which is utterly inappropriate for most of the non-brass-band repertoire (and a fair bit of band music too, but that's not the issue here ;) ). A lot of what you learn at music college is the minutiae of stylistic points for all the various schools of repertoire and ensembles, and showing up with a total ignorance of that kind of thing must convey a bad message. Then again, if your friend was talented enough, I'm sure the auditioners would have reasoned that they could teach them other styles easily enough. It would be interesting to see the exact reasoning.

MartinT
23.03.2007, 14:18

You think you've got problems, Wantage B's Sam Chapman has become Simon...:eek:

Jasonp
23.03.2007, 18:48
Anthony was playing euph (he's one of our Hadleigh bandsmen, and also in the Grenadiers), but I'm not sure if he played principal.

I can confirm that Tony did indeed play principal.

quantumq4
30.03.2007, 14:24
Just had a message from Ian Graves saying that he resigned and was not sacked from Hitchin. Appologies to all concerned and I will correct the people who orginally told me.