Draw : 13:00
Play Commences : 14:30 (approx)

Participating Bands :

1. Bon-Accord Silver Band : Richard Evans
2. Broxburn & Livingston Band : Kevin Price
3. Dalmellington : A.K. Hutchison
4. Kingdom Brass : Craig Anderson
5. Kirkintilloch : Nigel Boddice
6. Kirkintilloch Kelvin Brass : Alastair Orr.
7. Scottish Co-op Band : Allan Ramsay
8. Unison Kinneil : Colin McKenzie
9. Whitburn : Philip McCann

Section : First
Date : Sunday 11th March
Test Piece : Sinfonietta for Brass Band, ‘The Wayfarer’ (Eric Ball)
Adjudicators : Roger Webster & Chris Wormald
Draw : 09:00
Play Commences : 10:30

Participating Bands :

1. Arbroath Instrumental : Michael Robertson
2. Barrhead Burgh : Chris Bradley
3. Bathgate : Paul Drury
4. Bo'ness & Carriden : Michael Marzella
5. City of Discovery Brass : Bruce Fraser
6. Clackmannan District Brass : Raymond Tennant
7. Dunaskin Doon : John Boax
8. Johnstone Band : Mr C Keenan
9. Lochgelly : Tony Swainson
10. Newmilns & Galston : Jim Smith

Section : Second
Date : Saturday 10th March
Test Piece : Carnival (Helen Perkin)
Adjudicators : Kevin Wadsworth & Roger Webster
Draw : 15:30
Play Commences : 17:00 (approx)

Participating Bands :

1. Annan Town (APD) Band : David Shanks.
2. Broxburn Silver : Colin McKenzie
3. Clydebank Burgh : David Hamilton
4. Croy Band : Jim Anderson
5. Dalkeith & Monktonhall Colliery : James Chamberlain
6. Granite City Brass : Tom Paulin.
7. Jedforest Instrumental : Alan Fernie
8. Kilmarnock Concert Brass : Andrew Keachie
9. Selkirk Silver: Richard Duff
10. Shotts St Patrick's Brass : Alan Duguid
11. St Ronan's Silver : Alex Knox
12. Tullis Russell Mills Band : Gavin Lyndsay

Section : Third
Test Piece : Prelude & Jubilate (Darrol Barry)
Adjudicators : Richard Evans & Stephen Roberts
Draw : 11:15
Play Commences : 12:45 (approx)

Participating Bands :

1. Campbeltown Brass : Craig Anderson
2. Coalburn Silver : Gareth Bowman
3. Dunfermline Town : DAVID NEIL
4. Irvine & Dreghorn Brass : David McKellar
5. MacTaggart Scott : Alan Fernie
6. Newland Concert : Stephen Baird
7. Peebles Burgh : Derek Broadbent
8. Perthshire Brass : George Annan
9. Bon-Accord Silver 'B' Band : Bruce Wallace
10. Tayport Instrumental : Frank Culross
11. Turriff Silver : Frank Cranna
12. St David's Brass : John Dickson

Section : Fourth
Test Piece : The Seasons, Suite for Brass Band (Philip Wilby)
Adjudicators : Kevin Wadsworth & Richard Evans
Draw : 08:30
Play Commences : 10:00

Participating Bands :

1. Brass Sounds Inverclyde : Alistair G McCorkell
2. Buckhaven & Methil : Bob McDonald
3. Dundee Instrumental (St Margaret's) : James Tonner
4. Penicuik Silver : Terry Johns
5. Queensferry Community Brass Band : James Anderson
6. Renfrew Burgh : David Hutchison

TheMusicMan
25.02.2007, 15:09
Just so you all know - the tMP Predictogizmatron is up and running. Get your votes in!!!

Here's the announcement : http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26781

See link at top of page

AlanD
25.02.2007, 17:15
The SBBA website has a good write up about the contest and the bands taken part.

http://www.sbba.org.uk/scottish_2007/index.html

Souter
26.02.2007, 00:56
Missing Info

Conductor of Selkirk Silver is Richard Duff.

Broxburn Silver have withdrawn from the Second Section

TheMusicMan
26.02.2007, 01:03
Missing Info

Conductor of Selkirk Silver is Richard Duff.

Broxburn Silver have withdrawn from the Second SectionMany thanks.

bassmittens
02.03.2007, 16:40
The SBBA website has a good write up about the contest and the bands taken part.

http://www.sbba.org.uk/scottish_2007/index.html

That is a good set of articles!

Other regions can learn a lot from sbba methinks!

Good luck to all the bands but especially to Barrhead and also to "JB" and Dunaskin in the 1st section!

:tup

Col
05.03.2007, 17:45
Good Luck to all Bands but as a Greenock boy it must be a special mention to Brass Sounds Inverclyde. Now living in the heart of Brass Band Country in Huddersfield and have the joy of supporting Innovate Skelmanthorpe and Innovate Skelmanthorpe B who qualified for Harrogate at the weekend.

Hope you all have an enjoyable time with the test pieces.

Colin:clap: :clap: :clap:

madandcrazytromboneguy
07.03.2007, 04:06
i could be wrong here but didnt newtongrange have a pretty good band once? can't even see them listed!

was going to say can any band split up the big 4 this year but looks like a big 3 now, good luck to my former college tutors richard evans and alan fernie, both MD'ing this year in the scottish region

BbBill
07.03.2007, 13:50
Newtongrange withdrew early February, due to not having a full band.
Hopefully they'll rebuild strongly in the next couple of months and be back up there.

Hunnybun_hannah
07.03.2007, 16:28
i could be wrong here but didnt newtongrange have a pretty good band once? can't even see them listed!

was going to say can any band split up the big 4 this year but looks like a big 3 now, good luck to my former college tutors richard evans and alan fernie, both MD'ing this year in the scottish region

We had a fab band but then everyone had to leave - jobs, marriage, babies, its such a shame but unfortunately couldnt be helped (just so you know i'm one of the people that left - i started teaching this year.)

Hannah

Craigsav83
07.03.2007, 21:37
I hope Newtongrange can get the band required for the Senior Cup, its a pity they had to withdraw, just unfortunate everyone had jobs, marriages and babies at the same time!

Anyway, good luck to my old bands Dalmellington, who are back in the top section where they belong, and to Dunfermline - hope to see you in Harrogate ;-)

madandcrazytromboneguy
08.03.2007, 06:39
im sorry to hear that hannah, hope every1s commitments are going OK whether it be the jobs, kids, men n wives etc :D

good luck to the band and hope you get up and runnin again soon!

Moy
08.03.2007, 22:50
Good luck to Turriff Silver and Bon Accord B Band (3rd section) both bands I have conducted in the past.
Also good luck to the 2 bands I have played for - Granite City (2nd section) and Bon Accord Silver (Championship section)
Looking forward to listening to some bands on the Sunday - weird not to be playing but will enjoy my day nervously listening ;)

ABERDEEN LOON
09.03.2007, 14:51
Good luck to Turriff Silver and Bon Accord B Band (3rd section) both bands I have conducted in the past.
Also good luck to the 2 bands I have played for - Granite City (2nd section) and Bon Accord Silver (Championship section)
Looking forward to listening to some bands on the Sunday - weird not to be playing but will enjoy my day nervously listening ;)

Cheers Moira, but I think that it is going to take a lot more than luck this year :redface: . Are you popping down this year? Maybe see you tomorrow. Hope you are well.

Andrew

Moy
09.03.2007, 23:21
Ta for the message Andrew.
Sorry will not manage Saturday but intending being there on Sunday.
I am well thanks and I hope all at Turriff are well also.
You have a young bunch there - be patient it will come again.

SOCK IT TO THEM.;)

Pass on my good wishes please.

iainculross
10.03.2007, 02:16
just a wee word to say best of luck to everyone at the scottish this year, but of course particularly to tayport, whom my dad is conducting, also city of discovery, with whom my mum and my dad are playing. also best of luck to all the lads and lasses at kinneil, and of course to allan ramsay and scottish coop. i really wish i was back up for a listen, especially as its in my hame-toon..;) hope everyone has a great weekend :D

eckyboy
10.03.2007, 02:49
That looks like a Co-op waistcoat Iain but you had longer hair then.:eek:
Well done on your new appointment by the way, I'm sure you will be an asset to YBS:clap:

Kerwintootle
10.03.2007, 05:22
Good luck to the 'co and to Shotts

Di
10.03.2007, 12:18
Scottish Region : Fourth Section Draw

1 Buckhaven & Methil : Bob McDonald
2 Brass Sounds Inverclyde : Alistair G McCorkell
3 Renfrew Burgh : David Hutchison
4 Penicuik Silver : Terry Johns
5 Queensferry Community Brass Band : James Anderson
6 Dundee Instrumental (St Margaret's) : James Tonner

postie
10.03.2007, 16:25
4th section result courtesy of 4bars rest:

Adjudicators: Kevin Wadsworth & Richard Evans
Draw: 8.30am
Commences: 10.00am

Results:

1. Buckhaven & Methil, R. McDonald, 1, 180
2. Dundee Instrumental (St. Margaret's), J. Tonner, 6, 179
3. Renfrew Burgh, D. Hutchinson, 5, 178
4. Queensferry Community Brass, J. Anderson, 3, 176
5. Brass Sounds Inverclyde, A. McCorkell, 2, 175
6. Penicuik Silver, T. Johns, 4, 173

Top 2 qualify

Youngest Bass Player:
Graham Deacon, Renfrew Burgh

Best instrumentalist:
Brian McCabe, Buckhaven & Methil

iainculross
10.03.2007, 16:46
well done to jimmy and "the maggies" aka dundee instrumental ;) great to see them get a result!! :D and of course well done bob and buckhaven

MRSH
10.03.2007, 20:39
Section 3

Adjudicators: Richard Evans & Stephen Roberts
Draw: 11.15am
Commences: following 4th Section results

Bands

1. Campbeltown Brass C. Anderson, 7, 185
2. Perthshire Brass, G. Annan, 1, 184
3. Coalburn Silver, G. Bowman, 9, 183
4. St. David's Brass, J. Dickson, 5, 181
5. Dunfermline Town, D. Neil, 4, 179
6. Tayport Instrumental, F. Culross, 12, 178
7. MacTaggart Scott, A. Fernie, 3, 177
8. Turriff Silver, F. Cranna, 6, 176
9. Irvine & Dreghorn Brass, D. McKellar, 10, 175
10. Newland Concert, S. Baird, 8, 174
11. Bon-Accord Silver 'B', B. Wallace, 2, 173
12. Peebles Burgh, D. Broadbent, 11, 172

Top 2 qualify

Best instrumentalist:
Stuart Dickson, St. David's Brass

Courtesy 4barsrest (http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=5223)

MRSH
10.03.2007, 22:11
Section 2

Adjudicators: Kevin Wadsworth & Roger Webster
Draw: 3.30pm
Commences: following 3rd Section results

Results:

1. St. Ronan's Silver, A. Knox, 6, 182
2. Granite City Brass, T. Paulin, 7, 181
3. Selkirk Silver, R. Duff, 5, 180
4. Tullis Russell Mills, G. Lindsay, 9, 178
5. Jedforest Instrumental, A. Fernie, 11, 177
6. Croy, J. Anderson, 8, 176
7. Clydebank Burgh, D. Hamilton, 2, 174
8. Kilmarnock Concert Brass, A. Keachie, 4, 173
9. Dalkeith & Monktonhall Colliery, J. Chamberlain, 10, 172
10. Shotts St. Patrick's Brass, A. Duguid, 1, 171
11. Annan Town (APD), D. Shanks, 3, 170
Broxburn Silver, C. McKenzie, w,

Top 2 bands qualify

Best instrumentalist:
Soprano, St. Ronan's Silver

Courtesy of 4barsrest (http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=5223)

Moy
10.03.2007, 22:23
Well done to Tom and Granite City on their 2nd place and promotion back to the 1st section.
:clap:

Alan Fernie
11.03.2007, 07:35
Hmmm.... not our best day at the office! I thought McTaggarts might've been a wee bit higher, but the things that did go wrong, namely tuning and a bit of nerves in the middle section, have been highlighted without mercy!!I think we're safe from relegation though, just!! Well done to the excellent Campbeltown, and also to Stuart from St. David's - a class act. Jedforest just didn't show up today - drawn in the "graveyard shift", a lot of really daft individual errors, leading to a general sense of unease overall - no complaints with our placing. A huge "well done" to St.Ronan's and also to Selkirk, making it a pretty good day for the Borders; we're only sorry we couldn't join the party! Really do hope that Dalkeith stay up! Well done also to Buckhaven - too good for section 4! A "splendid" day in Dundee was compounded by me spending half the day driving around the city's archaic and confusing road system, avoiding, without success, some cracking traffic jams, looking for a parking place, and including an enforced and unexpected trip over the bridge to Fife! This was all topped off nicely by me leaving not only my wallet, but my phone as well in Pizza Hut. Only got them back as they were locking up!!! Not a great day at all!

AlanD
11.03.2007, 12:46
From my calculations (which may not be right) Dalkeith are safe Alan and are Mctaggerts. I have Broxburn and Anna going down in 2nd section and Pebbles and Newlands in the 3rd section.

Great day out well done to all the winners.

Just about to head back up to Dundee now to see how the "big boys" are getting on.

bassmittens
11.03.2007, 18:17
Section 1

Adjudicators: Roger Webster & Chris Wormald
Draw: 9.00am
Commences: 10.30am

Bands

1. Newmilns & Galston, J. Smith, 10, 187
2. Dunaskin Doon, J. Boax, 1, 186
3. Clackmannan District Brass, R. Tennant, 9, 185
4. Bo'ness & Carriden, M. Marzella, 5, 184
5. Lochgelly, A. Swainson, 2, 183
6. Arbroath Instrumental, M. Robertson, 3, 182
7. Bathgate, P. Drury, 6, 181
8. Barrhead Burgh, C. Bradley, 7, 180
9. Johnstone, C. Keenan, 4, 179
10. City of Discovery Brass, B. Fraser, 8, 178

Best instrumentalist:
Solo Cornet, Bo'ness & Carriden

bassmittens
11.03.2007, 18:19
Just want to say a big well done to Dunaskin for coming 2nd!!:clap: A brilliant result that is well deserved after a very good year.

Good to see the band with JB at the helm, back where they belong! I am very pleased for you all and wish you all very bad headaches in the morning!

Congrats to all prize winners.

Aardvark
11.03.2007, 19:18
Champ section results - received by text !

1. Kirkintilloch
2.Whitburn
3.Scottish Co-Op
4.Kingdom

6.Unison Kinneil

Sorry don't know the points etc !

johnmartin
11.03.2007, 21:26
Full results at the SBBA website (http://www.sbba.org.uk/results.php?contest=Scottish%20Championships&year=2007&Submit=Show)

Souter
11.03.2007, 21:28
From my calculations (which may not be right) Dalkeith are safe Alan and are Mctaggerts. I have Broxburn and Anna going down in 2nd section and Pebbles and Newlands in the 3rd section.

Sorry Alan you never have managed to work these out properly!!

Using the grading tables the relegations are as follows :-

3rd to 4th
Newlands - 25pts and Irvine - 28pts

2nd to 3rd
Annan and Dalkeith both 26pts

1st to 2nd
City of Discovery 21 pts and Johnstone 20pts

Champs to 1st
Kirkie Kelvin 22 1/2pts and Broxburn and Livingston 20pts. (Kinneil have 20pts also but stay up on the better result this year).

Huge well done to St. Ronans in the second section. We are a wee bit gutted at being 3rd again!!

bbg
11.03.2007, 23:26
Big congratulations to all who made it through to Harrogate - particularly to Bob McDonald and "Buckhind" , commiserations to Groovy and her Clacks bandmates on just missing out....

Needless to say we at Perthshire are over the proverbial moon after securing a first trip south since 1993, great performance off No1 draw to add to our 2nd in the Challenge Cup. Personally, especially pleased for our 2nd chair euph, Tom Stewart, who came back on board only 3 weeks or so before the contest. Tom is "over 70" and hadn't played seriously for a good while but class cannot be hidden - the man is a Perthshire Brass legend.

Souter - you can perhaps settle tonight's bandroom discussion re gradings -
are we up into "2nd section for finishing 2nd, or do we stay down on countback (ie last 2 years 7th and 7th so 16 points overall)?

Tubby the Tuba
11.03.2007, 23:37
Congratulaions to Newmilns and Galston and Dunaskin Doon Bands on their fantastic results, Hope you enjoy Harrogate !

3 Ayrshire bands in Championship section next year, we (Dalmellington) pleased we managed a decent result on our first year back with the big guns, hope we can build on this for next year.

When was the last time there were three Ayrsire bands in the Champinship section ?

Souter
11.03.2007, 23:37
Hi BBG - automatically up as in first 2.

Well done on result.

bbg
12.03.2007, 00:03
Thanks for quick reply!

As said earlier, it's been a long time in 3rd Section for us....

Sorry that your own band just missed out - all the more appreciative that you take time to answer someone else's query.

regards

B

Alan Fernie
12.03.2007, 01:05
Message to Alans (Souter/Tullisboy) from Alan! re Dalkeith/Monktonhall; doesn't the "no-show" from Broxburn Silver count in any relegation issue? Just a bit concerned about DM being in the third section next year - they're too good for that!, as are Johnstone in section 2 - that can't be right??

Wasn't there today - hiding under my duvet!! - but good to see big Nigel at the top with Kirky - that combination was brilliant at the Carnegie in April, and it's clearly still a winner.

BbBill
12.03.2007, 03:06
What a weekend, am still over the moon at our result in the 3rd section!! Between 3 of us, we nearly managed to finish the 2 litres of voddie on our 6 hour bus journey home on sat nite!!! Still managed to travel back to Dundee this morn to see the great playing in the top section!

Well done to Perthshire and all the other bands in our section on a tricky but very good piece, I was disappointed for Gareth and Coalburn as understood they played a belter too, but were unlucky.

With 21 players of our band all under the age of 16 playing yesterday, I cant believe the performance they put in, Im so proud of them all! With 6 kids playing at their 1st Scottish Championships, and 3 of them appearing at their very 1st contest ever, what a start to their banding careers!!! We were also a BBb Bass and cornet short, so we filled out the band with an extra 2nd bari and 2nd trombone and I was left to honk out BBb Bass myself as usual!!

Id just like to say a huge personal thanks to our conductor Craig Anderson for all the hard work that he has put in, and also to the other tutors that have helped the kids achieve a great result that the band has been wanting for such a long time.

floral_dance
12.03.2007, 10:12
[quote=Alan Fernie;519165]Message to Alans (Souter/Tullisboy) from Alan! re Dalkeith/Monktonhall; doesn't the "no-show" from Broxburn Silver count in any relegation issue? Just a bit concerned about DM being in the third section next year - they're too good for that!, as are Johnstone in section 2 - that can't be right??

Unfortunately it is true, we will be going down to 2nd section, we all know contests are a bit of a lottery and you have to put up with the bad results as well as the good ones. We will come back fighting though;)

Souter
12.03.2007, 10:23
Message to Alans (Souter/Tullisboy) from Alan! re Dalkeith/Monktonhall; doesn't the "no-show" from Broxburn Silver count in any relegation issue? Just a bit concerned about DM being in the third section next year - they're too good for that!, as are Johnstone in section 2 - that can't be right??

Hi Alan

Per Sbba rule book Broxburn score 12 points but are not automatically relegated (same position with Nitten in the championship).

Both Johnstone and Dalkieth could appeal though.

The accumulated points for each section after this year would be:-

Champs
Co-op, Whitburn and Kirkie on 7
Kingdom 14
Dalmellington 16
Newtongrange 17
Bon accord 18
Kinneil 20
B & L 20 R
KKB 22 1/2 R

1st
Newmilns 10 P
Clackmannan 12
Dunaskin 15 P
Bo'ness 15
Bathgate 15
Lochgelly 16
Arbroath 19
Barrhead 19
Johnston 20 R
Discovery 21 R

2nd
Selkirk 12 1/2
Jed 15
Granite City 15 P
Tullis 17
Croy 17
St Ronans 19 P
Kilmarnock 21
Clydebank 21
Shotts 21 1/2
Broxburn Silver 25
Annan 26 R
Dalkeith 26 R

3rd
Campbeltown 11 P
Coalburn 12 1/2
Perthshire 16 P
St. Davids 17
Tayport 19
Dunfermline 19
Turriff 21
Peebles 23
Bon Accord B 24
MacTaggarts 24
Newlands 25 R
Irvine 28 R

Correct me if I'm wrong with these someone!

johnmartin
12.03.2007, 10:38
Alan, as previously mentioned by Souter, Broxburn will accumulate 12 points for their no show. A band is only automatically relegated if they have two consecutive no shows at the Scottish Championships.

Tubah
12.03.2007, 11:05
Well done to all concerned at Dundee this weekend. Especially Kirkie and Campbelltown who were both overdue their results.

On a personal note big up to both Newmilns and Galston and Dunaskin Doon bands for 2 very high standard performances on Sunday morning. Special mention to both conductors Jim Smith and John Boax for a great day at the office.

Bring on the Ayrshire threesome next year.

:cool:

AlanD
12.03.2007, 12:19
Is this really fair that two good bands go down but the two bands who withdraw stay up???

Lauradoll
12.03.2007, 12:22
Yea I think this is a bit unfair- at least they made the effort to turn up and fare their chances on the day. Perhaps there should be more of an incentive not to withdraw, especially if it means you can stay up when others who make the effort go down.

Well done to all my pals who played at the weekend, good to see Whitburn returning to London this year, and well done to Kingdom, surely they must be one of the most consistent bands in Scotland at the moment!

Craigsav83
12.03.2007, 13:37
Is this really fair that two good bands go down but the two bands who withdraw stay up???

Yes - the bands have had good results in the past. If you are in this situation, (and I have been in more than one occasion) its really demoralising if you dont have a full band, often, withdrawing is the best option for the band. The system may not be perfect, but its the best one we have!

Bear in mind both these bands in question are very likely to be relegated the following year unless they gain a qualifying spot for the nationals.

scotchgirl
12.03.2007, 14:47
Congratulations to Dundee Instrumental!!! Fantastic!! Will probably even make an effort and come and see you at Harrogate later this year...

Nicky

PS Also big Congratulations to Kirkintilloch and Nigel Boddice - will see you in London!! (if only Steve could see us now eh?? 8-))

wittig
12.03.2007, 14:50
It's a real shame that it looks as though Dalkeith and Monktonhall will drop to the third section. I watched bands 7-11 in the second section and I feel that they were the one band that stood apart as having a more experienced sound and approach. The first and third movements really stood apart as being tighter and having a wider dynamic range than the other bands I heard. A real shame, but I am sure they will return straight to the second section next year.

Arrived early in Dundee and caught the end of the third section contest. Thanks to Coalburn for a very musical performance and some assured solo playing.

groovy
12.03.2007, 15:11
Big congratulations to all who made it through to Harrogate - particularly to Bob McDonald and "Buckhind" , commiserations to Groovy and her Clacks bandmates on just missing out....

Needless to say we at Perthshire are over the proverbial moon after securing a first trip south since 1993, great performance off No1 draw to add to our 2nd in the Challenge Cup. Personally, especially pleased for our 2nd chair euph, Tom Stewart, who came back on board only 3 weeks or so before the contest. Tom is "over 70" and hadn't played seriously for a good while but class cannot be hidden - the man is a Perthshire Brass legend.

Souter - you can perhaps settle tonight's bandroom discussion re gradings -
are we up into "2nd section for finishing 2nd, or do we stay down on countback (ie last 2 years 7th and 7th so 16 points overall)?
Hi Uncle Bri! Nice to see you are as big a band geek as I am. Congrats on your Saturday result, Harrogate & second section and about time too. We were chuffed with 3rd, just missed the trip to the nationals but think we are happy to have another year in the 1st section and we gave a good performance so no complaints. We got a nice big trophy too even though we were only 3rd :D
Great result for Kirky, they were my winners after hearing the 'big 3', in fact think I agreed with all the adjudicators said and their individual prizes. What a piece Isiah 40 is as well.
Oh and well done to Ross on getting best soloist in the 2nd section and St Ronans on winning! And Buckhaven for winning 4th section, nice one :tup

McChambo
12.03.2007, 17:37
It's a real shame that it looks as though Dalkeith and Monktonhall will drop to the third section. I watched bands 7-11 in the second section and I feel that they were the one band that stood apart as having a more experienced sound and approach. The first and third movements really stood apart as being tighter and having a wider dynamic range than the other bands I heard. A real shame, but I am sure they will return straight to the second section next year.

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm just glad that at least one person in the hall liked it. I knew it wasn't a winning performance after our Pavane went off the rails, but to come 9th was not what I had in mind...............

I only heard bands 2, 3 and 4. I thought band 3 (Annan) were the best of those three bands by some distance. Despite a few slips, I thought it was a good, sensible performance, but they ended up in last place!!

Congratulations to St Ronan's and Granite City though, and to Ross for winning the solo prize.

Alisop
12.03.2007, 19:05
'I only heard bands 2, 3 and 4. I thought band 3 (Annan) were the best of those three bands by some distance. Despite a few slips, I thought it was a good, sensible performance, but they ended up in last place!!'

Thank you! we were very dissapointed to come last as we felt that it had gone well and we did on stage what we had been rehearsing in the bandroom. Unfortunately the adjudicators comments didn't give us much to go on either.

Oh well such is life

brianatb
12.03.2007, 19:07
Thanks for your thoughts on our performance (Annan).We were disappointed with the result,but that's banding for you.We now look forward to our next contest. Brianatb.

flugelboy
13.03.2007, 00:25
hard lines to jed for the weekend i know that it had been going great in the run up and am a bit gutted for yas but these things happen.I know you will be back strong as evr next year

bbg
13.03.2007, 23:13
Thanks for your post Groovy - just like to make it clear that I am not young Miss Anderson's real "uncle", just an affectionate(?) nickname dating back to our Czech Republic tour a coule of years back!

Our band are coming to terms with our result, thoughts already turning to Harrogate when we would hope to put on a decent show with whatever piece is set.

Very interesting set of results overall, with some bands coming through into placings where not perhaps expected, and a good few hard luck stories , but that's the beauty of contesting. No doubt we'll all regroup and come out ready to entertain at Dunfermline, Forfar and the rest - when all is said and done I'm sure that the majority of us play for the enjoyment and the bandroom banter, let's not fall into a "win at all costs" mentality.

DMBabe
14.03.2007, 06:28

Wasn't there today - hiding under my duvet!! - but good to see big Nigel at the top with Kirky - that combination was brilliant at the Carnegie in April, and it's clearly still a winner.
Hiya Alan.

Nightshift again as you'll see by the time this was posted! Many thanks for your continuing support! 3rd Section seems definite and its more than a bit depressing. Sucks that everything relates to the Scottish and nothing else. Seems that if in doubt don't turn up and u'll get to stay where u are! Lets hope we get something interesting to play but I won't hold my breath. Well done to Jed after playing at ungodly o'clock (admittedly only slightly later than us but more buslag involved!!)

XXX

DMBabe
14.03.2007, 06:35

Arrived early in Dundee and caught the end of the third section contest. Thanks to Coalburn for a very musical performance and some assured solo playing.
Thank you! You must be one of the 10 people in the audience at that time of night! Bit depressed about it but life goes on and so does work! (Check the time, yes I am at work at 5:30am! So wrong!!). Am I the only person who thinks it is evil to make lower section bands play in a hall the size of the Caird when u can't even see where the box is and all you see is a sea of empty chairs? As if anyone was gonna hang about to watch the later bands on the saturday (unless they had to)?? SBBA had the right idea at Glasgow Royal Concert Hall in November where halls to suit the standard of the bands were used. Something kinder about an audience of 20 in a hall that holds 150 than one that takes 2000? At least u've got an outside chance of seeing our supporters without binoculars (or should that be opera glasses??).

Anonymous_user
14.03.2007, 16:55
Thank you! You must be one of the 10 people in the audience at that time of night! As if anyone was gonna hang about to watch the later bands on the saturday (unless they had to)?? .

Bit of a sweeping statement. I had no affiliation to any 2nd section bands but I stayed to listen and support the bands for making the effort and heard some very good playing. Had D & M placed 3rd behind St Ronan's and Granite City.

wittig
15.03.2007, 10:28
Bit of a sweeping statement. I had no affiliation to any 2nd section bands but I stayed to listen and support the bands for making the effort and heard some very good playing. Had D & M placed 3rd behind St Ronan's and Granite City.

Fair enough rosolino, you were one of the few though. The hall was VERY sparcely populated however. It was similarly empty when my band played earlier in the draw. You have just taken a selected part of DM babe's post. The general sentiment was that there were very few people in the hall, it was not a criticism of the people that were actually there listening.

I heard some good playing later on in the draw, however I had Granite City last out of the bands 7-11. The only inspiring playing I heard was the first and third movements of D & M's performance. Everyone is entitled, and rightly so, to their opinion, and yourself and the adjudicators must have identified something in the Granite City performance that you/they were specifically looking for. Congratulations to them and good luck in the nationals in Harrogate.

johnmartin
15.03.2007, 11:32
Fair enough rosolino, you were one of the few though. The hall was VERY sparcely populated however. It was similarly empty when my band played earlier in the draw.Given the complaints from 4th section bands after Motherwell last year it would have been a bit unfair to put the smallest section on the graveyard shift again. With twelve bands in your section there should still have been a sizeable number of people milling about the hall. Where were they all???

I believe it is right that the sections are rotated each year such that no one section always has to get the late nighter. Next year it will probably be the third sections turn.

wewizrobbed
15.03.2007, 11:49
John, why is championship always the Sunday though? Can we not play on the Saturday once in a while?

johnmartin
15.03.2007, 12:27
John, why is championship always the Sunday though? Can we not play on the Saturday once in a while?There's no hard and fast rule on this. It's probably because it is seen as the flagship event and you want to end the Championship weekend with that.

Lauradoll
15.03.2007, 12:57
I personally would rather play on a Saturday than a Sunday- means you don't have to go to work on the Monday still half cut or abstain from the festivities so you can get home at a sensible time and manage work fine the next day, something I need to decide before our contest on Sunday. Boo!

wewizrobbed
15.03.2007, 18:05
half cut is the way forward Laura! x

DMBabe
16.03.2007, 02:53
Yea I think this is a bit unfair- at least they made the effort to turn up and fare their chances on the day. Perhaps there should be more of an incentive not to withdraw, especially if it means you can stay up when others who make the effort go down.

Well done to all my pals who played at the weekend, good to see Whitburn returning to London this year, and well done to Kingdom, surely they must be one of the most consistent bands in Scotland at the moment!
Hello Laura,
How r ye?
Indeed we did turn up and now we're going down! Life sucks but nice to know that some people agree that its unfair to almost give incentives to bands who withdraw. Especially considering the expense involved in attending the contest. We could have saved ourselves a healthy wad of cash by just withdrawing in the first place. But u never know how things will go do you???

DMBabe
16.03.2007, 03:10
Given the complaints from 4th section bands after Motherwell last year it would have been a bit unfair to put the smallest section on the graveyard shift again. With twelve bands in your section there should still have been a sizeable number of people milling about the hall. Where were they all???

I believe it is right that the sections are rotated each year such that no one section always has to get the late nighter. Next year it will probably be the third sections turn.
From my experience the middle sections have the hardest time bringing an audience because in the most part the age range is less so you have less parents and siblings in tow if your youngest players are well into their teens than if they are younger. Our younger players have reached the age when they would freak if their family came to a contest with them (unless they're already in the band) cos it would be so uncool!!!.

In Dundee when we came off stage the bar, cafe and trade stands had long since closed down for the day so people had less incentive to stay around the hall. Not much incentive to bring friends and family to that! It was a bit like the Marie- Celeste generally, the only people hanging about outside the auditorium was the contracted photographer and the regular SBBA Stewards. Looked the contest had ended hours before and the late bands were an afterthought? admittedly there was only one band after us but we had to find food from somewhere and had to go elsewhere to get it. Unless we're supposed to fill up with stodge before we play and roll onto stage?

Something that maybe needs addressed perhaps??

DMBabe
16.03.2007, 03:29
Didn't mean any offence cos trust me I'm grateful for any audience at that time of night but if you read my other post the statement might make more sense?

Cheers!

Souter
16.03.2007, 10:16
If it is any consolation when we played at No.5 you could also count the audience numbers on 2 hands.

As for bringing supporters with us - bear in mind that the bus did not return home to Selkirk until 1.30 in the morning and that was leaving at 12 noon to get to Dundee. A long day for all concerned.

Whilst I do applaud SBBA decision to use Dundee - great venue and great hall I personally think that the geographical location of the bands playing in each section should be taken into consideration when a) choosing the venue and b) choosing the order in which the sections play.

However we are in a difficult position geographically for Dundee as last time when it was held their it did mean an overnight stay before the contest.

Mind you - poor Campbeltown in that respect!!!

johnmartin
16.03.2007, 10:28
Indeed we did turn up and now we're going down! Life sucks but nice to know that some people agree that its unfair to almost give incentives to bands who withdraw.Sorry to disagree here but given a quick look at the gradings table on the SBBA website if your band had withdrawn then you would almost certainly have gone down with the points added on. There's no point in arguing after the fact, when the rules are set before the contest and by the act of entering you are making a de facto acceptance of those rules. Broxburn were lucky to survive the drop, this time. Your band unfortunately weren't. Please explain how, by placing Broxburn last and awarding then 12 grading points, it can be seen as an incentive not to turn up? Had your band finished even one place higher then Broxburn would have gone down in your place. Not much of an incentive then is it.

johnmartin
16.03.2007, 10:31
poor Campbeltown in that respect!!!Poor Campbeltown regardless of where the contest is held :) . They are a shining example to all other bands and well deserving of their success.

Souter
16.03.2007, 10:35
Poor Campbeltown regardless of where the contest is held :) . They are a shining example to all other bands and well deserving of their success.

Completely agree John :-)

Good result for Lochgelly on Sunday :-)

Lauradoll
16.03.2007, 11:31
Hello Laura,
How r ye?
Indeed we did turn up and now we're going down! Life sucks but nice to know that some people agree that its unfair to almost give incentives to bands who withdraw. Especially considering the expense involved in attending the contest. We could have saved ourselves a healthy wad of cash by just withdrawing in the first place. But u never know how things will go do you???

Is that you Diane? I'm fine ta, hope all is well with you up there.

BbBill
16.03.2007, 13:38
Poor Campbeltown regardless of where the contest is held :) . They are a shining example to all other bands and well deserving of their success.

Thanks John!

Yeh, every 1 of the 6 six contests we do every year requires at least a 300 mile round trip with overnight hotel accomodation, so a hefty bus and hotel bill every year!! Gone are the days we used to sleep in our sleeping bags, on the mats in Polmont's Community Centre the night before contests, for 10 each!!!

For last weekend, we left Campbeltown at 4:30pm on Friday, and got to Dundee at 10:45pm, stayed the night, played contest, left 6pm and arrived home at midnight!! Altho I was still staggering about the town's Main St at 3am, still in full band uniform!!

God knows what time we'll be leaving for the Nationals, as its 140miles to Glasgow before we even get on a motorway to start heading south for Harrogate!!! Altho we'll be heading down to Saddleworth for Whit Friday before that, so another big bus journey, but bring it on!!! :D

johnmartin
16.03.2007, 13:43
It's a pity Campbeltown don't get "bus miles" :(

BbBill
16.03.2007, 13:46
You can claim for milage at Pontins, which was great last year, saved us about 300!!!

You'll need to put that to the SBBA John.....!!!! ;)

BbBill
16.03.2007, 13:47
I think its a bit shame for Johnstone heading down into the 2nd section, 2 relegations in 2 years, is that right? Especially after winnning the Scottish Sheild in Nov, bet theyre feeling gutted. :(

floral_dance
16.03.2007, 19:39
I think its a bit shame for Johnstone heading down into the 2nd section, 2 relegations in 2 years, is that right? Especially after winnning the Scottish Sheild in Nov, bet theyre feeling gutted. :(

Yes feeling gutted, we came into contest with 11 points and finishing 9th means we drop to second section. We will come back fighting. It could happen to any band really if they are relegated into a section then get a poor result, have to take the bad with the good :rolleyes:

Being philosophical about it really sucks lol;)

floral_dance
16.03.2007, 19:42
John (Martin) you might be able to answer this question, why did Johnstone only get 5.5 points for 2005 when they one the contest, I know we got 5.5 for last years contest in the Championship section because we came last and if add those together we get 11 points. So why 5.5 for winning and 5.5 for loosing?

johnmartin
17.03.2007, 00:57
The points are the mean for the section for the preceding two years. As there are 10 bands in the first section, if you add up all the placings from 1 to 10 you get 55; then divide by the number of bands (10) to get a mean of 5.5. The points you earned in the first section 2 years ago don't count because you were promoted.

A band moving section always gets given the average points when they first enter the section.

See paragraph (g) of the grading rules on the SBBA website (http://www.sbba.org.uk/rulebook/rules24.html)

floral_dance
17.03.2007, 15:27
Thanks for clearing that up John, well done on your result by the way, the band must be well chuffed

johnmartin
17.03.2007, 18:29
Thanks for clearing that up John, well done on your result by the way, the band must be well chuffedBand are well pleased. We were targeting top five to stay safe and we just made it in there.