PDA

View Full Version : Children in Need - Sponsorship Form

Roger Thorne
04.11.2003, 22:04
Hi Folks,

As the event is now well and truly under way we have now made available a
Sponsorhip Form for those taking part in the Event.

In the original post it was stated that all participants would be expected to have a minimum sponsorship of £10 (the bigger sponsorship the better!).

Once you've collected the money from all your sponsors could you please send a cheque made payable to: The Mouthpiece.com to:

Roger Thorne
18 Sundorne Crescent
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
SY1 4JE

All cheques will be handed to John and he will then donate the total sum to Children in Need on behalf of The Mouthpiece.com

So please download the Sponsorship Form from the link below and get collecting!

SPONSORSHIP FORM (http://www.thornesmusic.freeserve.co.uk/The%20Mouthpiece.com%20Sponsorship%20Form.pdf)

:wink:

Euph-Bari
05.11.2003, 23:08
i've downloaded this form and when i opened it all i got was a load of symbols (and no not the musical kind :lol:)

Hilary Mateer
05.11.2003, 23:10
I have just taken a sponsorship form round my wind band and they wanted to know what exactly they were sponsoring me to do so I wondered if we could have an official sheet of information to send round with the sponsorship form.
Another point is that lots of sponsorship forms I have seen recently have a box to tick if you are a tax payer and space to fill in your address. This is so tax can be claimed back. Is it worth doing a form like this as when I send it round work it will add up to a considerable amount extra

Kernewek Den
05.11.2003, 23:32
Yeah your right, you need to get the donees permsion to gift aid their contribution. As long as they are a UK resident and a tax payer Children in Need can reclaim the tax.

It's worth doing.

Kernewek Den
05.11.2003, 23:34
Also, is it possible for TMP to take donations by paypal for us who can't take part?

It's a bit far to travel from Cornwall!!

dyl
05.11.2003, 23:38
Also, is it possible for TMP to take donations by paypal for us who can't take part?
This facility has been approved by the powers-that-be at CIN, and should be available via the eShop within a few days.

neiltwist
05.11.2003, 23:45
can I get sponsored and then pay by paypal instead of the cheque method?

TheMusicMan
06.11.2003, 00:18

Yup Neal - no problem with this. Just one thing people need to understand with PayPal though and is why I wanted this cleared with the BBC 1st is that PayPal take out there % commission from any payment made. So, if you pay tMP CiN Appeal £10.00 - we willonly receive £9.70 something i.e. your £10.00 minus PayPal commission.

Please note - tMP WILL NOT BE TAKING ANY CHARGE at all out of this amount, only PayPal will do this.

As long as you are OK with this (& the BBC are :) ) then this is fine by me. Look out for the link to be set up tomorrow...

Oh and Neil... many thanks for this offer... :D

neiltwist
06.11.2003, 00:31

Yup Neal - no problem with this. Just one thing people need to understand with PayPal though and is why I wanted this cleared with the BBC 1st is that PayPal take out there % commission from any payment made. So, if you pay tMP CiN Appeal £10.00 - we willonly receive £9.70 something i.e. your £10.00 minus PayPal commission.

Please note - tMP WILL NOT BE TAKING ANY CHARGE at all out of this amount, only PayPal will do this.

As long as you are OK with this (& the BBC are :) ) then this is fine by me. Look out for the link to be set up tomorrow...

Oh and Neil... many thanks for this offer... :D

I'm going to pay the 'commision' already have an account, so shouldn't be a problem

TheMusicMan
06.11.2003, 00:36
I'm going to pay the 'commision' already have an account, so shouldn't be a problem

Nice one Neil... thanks for this, very generous of you ... how come you can't make it then?

neiltwist
06.11.2003, 00:40
I can, but it said to post a cheque to roger on the sponsorship form...

did I get it wrong :(

Kernewek Den
06.11.2003, 00:45
Paypal charges are nothing compared to the tax that could be reclaimed if you add a gift aid tick box to the sponsor form!

Check it out with CIN if you like but if you phone them up to donate they will ask if you want to gift aid your pledge wich means Tony will add 22% to your donation. CHANGE THE FORM!

TheMusicMan
06.11.2003, 00:47
Nope you didn't get it wrong Neil - my fault.

Great that you're gonna be there - can buy you a pint then (or you to me) :)

I think we need to clarify this with everyone so they understand that they can either do that (i.e. send a cheque to RT) or donate their sponsorship (atendance at the event or no attendance at the event) online at the tMP e-Shop once the link is set up tomorrow.

Thanks for spotting that one... :wink:

TheMusicMan
06.11.2003, 00:47
Paypal charges are nothing compared to the tax that could be reclaimed if you add a gift aid tick box to the sponsor form!

Check it out with CIN if you like but if you phone them up to donate they will ask if you want to gift aid your pledge wich means Tony will add 22% to your donation. CHANGE THE FORM!

We are going to do this - thanks for pointing it out... :D

neiltwist
06.11.2003, 00:48
can it still be claimed back if we pay through paypal? with production of the sponsorship form of course?

TheMusicMan
06.11.2003, 00:50
can it still be claimed back if we pay through paypal? with production of the sponsorship form of course?

I'm hoping so - but don't know enough about this just yet. Will speak to BBC tomorrow as part of my now daily telephone calls with them... :roll:

Dyl is also looking into this for us tomorrow.

There's a lot going on to get the tMP CiN Event going behind the scenes folks, thanks for your support and anticipated generosity for our donation to CiN... :)

Kernewek Den
06.11.2003, 00:54
As long as the sponsor has the donees consent to 'gift aid' their donation it doesn't matter how its paid. I will check it out tomorrow and post again to make sure I've got the facts right as tax law is always more complex on the internet!

It keeps me in a job!

TheMusicMan
06.11.2003, 00:55
As long as the sponsor has the donees consent to 'gift aid' their donation it doesn't matter how its paid. I will check it out tomorrow and post again to make sure I've got the facts right as tax law is always more complex on the internet!

It keeps me in a job!

... much appreciated.... you can PM me with the details if required....

John

Kernewek Den
06.11.2003, 01:01
Will do - Its a complex area and easily got wrong if the wording on forms etc isn't exact!

PeterBale
06.11.2003, 09:18
Regarding Gift Aid, I believe that may not be possible if people are donating via theMouthPiece as we are not a registered charity ourselves, even though all the money raised is going to be passed on to Children in Need. When we have clarification on this we shall post further details.

Kernewek Den
06.11.2003, 09:35
I've sent a PM to John but for anyone who's interested!

Declarations linked to sponsored events
3.15.5 The money raised from a sponsored event does not belong to the individual who has
been sponsored and is not his or hers to give as a Gift Aid payment. However, it is
possible for the individual amount raised from each sponsor to count as a Gift Aid
donation from that sponsor.

3.15.6 The person being sponsored may ask the sponsors to make a separate declaration to
the charity for which he or she is raising the money – this is likely to be on a one-off
donation type of declaration supplied to the participant by the charity.

3.15.7 Alternatively, it is possible for charities to design a sponsorship form that can also be
used as a joint declaration form. The suggested format is for the declaration to be
placed at the head of each sheet, with each sponsor being able to opt to have his or her
sponsorship money paid to the charity as a Gift Aid donation by, for example, ticking a
box. The recommended method is to have the following boxes below the declaration for
each sponsor to complete:
• Sponsor’s full name
• Home address, including post code
• Amount pledged
• Amount collected
• Date collected
• Tick box to have amount treated as a Gift Aid donation.
The date when the sums collected were handed over to the charity should also be
entered on the form. A copy of a model Gift Aid sponsored event form can be found at
Appendix B2.

3.15.8 The details outlined in the first three bullets above would be collected from the sponsors
by the participant prior to the event, with the other details being entered on the form
when the money is collected. Where a sponsor form is being passed around a
workplace some donors may be reluctant to give their full home address. In these
circumstances we are prepared to accept that the home address has been provided if
donors enter, as a minimum, the name and number of their home, and their postcode.

3.15.9 The participant will need to ensure, if the money collected is banked in his/her own
account before a cheque is sent to the charity, that the sum on the cheque matches the
amount collected on the sponsorship forms so that the charity is provided with a clear
audit trail.

Di B
06.11.2003, 09:46
I have changed my form so instead of having two columns of sponsors it only has one but with enough room for an 'address' box and a 'claim tax relief' box.

Hope this is okay to do....

Di B
06.11.2003, 11:03
Another question.... we need to bring the money with us on the day?

I have already gone around my office and it has been stated that 'money usually doesn't change hands until after the event' so I am not sure what to say or do. Should we suggest we are collecting donations rather than being sponsored??

super_sop
06.11.2003, 17:56
I have already gone around my office and it has been stated that 'money usually doesn't change hands until after the event' so I am not sure what to say or do. Should we suggest we are collecting donations rather than being sponsored??

This was a bit of a problem for me to, most people so far have give the money up front, and others will be giving it nearer the date.
I just explained what we were doing, what we are doing it for, and that a check would be given to CiN on the day. this seemed to satisfy everyone.
I also printed of the post that Roger posted last night, about the etails of the day, and took that around wih me.

Di
07.11.2003, 14:35
Just so as I know, are you going to re-do the official form with a Gift Box or do we need to adapt our own like Di B?

Keppler
07.11.2003, 14:43
as of this moment, we don't think we'll be putting the gift-aid box. There's a bunch of legalities and red-tape, and we're no experts on that (yet)

We'd also encourage you not to alter the form.

more anon..

Di
07.11.2003, 15:00
Okie dokie, just that folks at work were asking.
Ta.

Di B
07.11.2003, 15:22
as of this moment, we don't think we'll be putting the gift-aid box. There's a bunch of legalities and red-tape, and we're no experts on that (yet)

We'd also encourage you not to alter the form.

more anon..

Now you tell me! :roll:

I am an accountant (dogsbody!) by trade and understand a lot of the details with personal taxation anyway, so I think the form is suitable to claim gift aid.... IMHO I don't think it will hurt to try - at the end of the day the money is still being collected.

I assume it isn't a problem now to use the adapted forms? I am halfway down mine and I know Kirstie is using the same form as myself....

Not wanting to encourage others to do it, but I assume that although not perfect, the form is still valid and will not be a problem with CiN will it?

If it will, please do answer asap as I don't want to have to ask all my sponsors to re-sponsor unless necessary if you know what I mean!!

I'll stop trying to be clever from now on.... it hurt using my one brain cell anyway..... :idea: :wink:

Keppler
07.11.2003, 15:27
Sorry about that Di..
Just that you were so quick off the mark..

Kudos for the ideas, it's a great one - but I think the main problem is that tMP is not a registerd charity, and the scheme in question only works for direct-to-charity contributions. The thoughts of trying to keep track of all the tax numbers etc etc are a nightmare.

anyway - carry on with the form for now.. I'm sure one of the resident experts will pipe up if there's a problem with it..

but, anyone else, please don't alter the form..

Di B
07.11.2003, 17:52
Thanks for that I know its usually the guys who are quick! :lol: :lol:

If the sponsor form is given to Children in Need with a cheque to Children in Need though it *might* be acceptable - not too sure about the third party cheque situation though (ie me-tMP-CiN)

Whatever, as long as I can keep collecting its fine by me! :lol:

Cheers

lynchie
07.11.2003, 21:06
If you collect all the money in, can you not just claim gift aid on the cheque you send off to CiN?

Euph-Bari
07.11.2003, 23:07
i'm having real problems downloading the sponsership form - well i can downlaod it just comes out with weird symbols - can anyone help?

neiltwist
08.11.2003, 00:58
i'm having real problems downloading the sponsership form - well i can downlaod it just comes out with weird symbols - can anyone help?

you need acrobat.

TheMusicMan
08.11.2003, 01:00
you need acrobat.

.. which can be downloaded free from here -> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

J

neiltwist
08.11.2003, 01:12
you need acrobat.

.. which can be downloaded free from here -> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

J

didn't you try but had trouble?

TheMusicMan
08.11.2003, 01:19
... not me Neil..? or are you asking someone else?

It is a whapping 15MB though so you might like to look on some of those old CD's you have obtained free with PC Buyer, Computer Shopper etc.. Adobe Acrobat Reader is often found on those CD's.

John

neiltwist
08.11.2003, 01:25
... not me Neil..? or are you asking someone else?

It is a whapping 15MB though so you might like to look on some of those old CD's you have obtained free with PC Buyer, Computer Shopper etc.. Adobe Acrobat Reader is often found on those CD's.

John

sorry meant euph bari, apparently it said it had been corrupted when it was unpacking after the download

PeterBale
08.11.2003, 09:43
If you collect all the money in, can you not just claim gift aid on the cheque you send off to CiN?

I'm no expert, but the Gift Aid pledge is an arrangement between the donor and the tax authorities, although the example posted asked for endorsement by the receiving charity. This is one of the difficulties when acting through a third party. Equally, there can be majoir problems if an individual ticks the Gift Aid option but has not paid sufficient tax - they are personally liable for any redress by Inland Revenue.

As we said, it's complicated :!:

Euph-Bari
08.11.2003, 09:44
hey
thanks , i've sorted it out with dyl now - he sent me it in a different format or sumthing (i havn't a clue)

cheers