PDA

View Full Version : Why Now

Terrible Timp
11.02.2007, 15:10
Why is it now the ashes have gone back to the aussies do our cricket team decide its about time we turned up and played close to our best form ?
We wrapped up the one day series today and although we did loose some of the matches in the series overall we played well but why ?? Personally other than Collingwood batting brilliantly and Freddie bowling well i cant see how we were able to dominate (well the last two games anyway), are we generally just better in the shorter version of the game or was it a case of just re-establishing some hurt pride ??

Belfast Barman
11.02.2007, 15:33
I think you got it spot on - there was a lot of hurt pride there.....
However, it's the first time since the 1986-87 Ashes series that we have won a one-day tournament in Australia, and 14 years since Australia lost a one-day series at home.
That said, if I were told I could have the chance of a month in the West Indies just for clobbering a corky ball about or throwing it at some sticks, I would try that lickle bit harder!

Andy, watching the rain

Sharpy
11.02.2007, 22:38
To be fair, according to the World Rankings England are 2nd behind Australia in Test Cricket and in One dayers Australia are top with England in 7th place. So I think was a lot more to do with pride than England being better at One day cricket!!!

Belfast Barman
12.02.2007, 19:49
To be fair, according to the World Rankings England are 2nd behind Australia in Test Cricket and in One dayers Australia are top with England in 7th place. So I think was a lot more to do with pride than England being better at One day cricket!!!

England win 4 one-dayers on the bounce and thats it, we are getting talked up for the World Cup!
Although New Zealand won't be much trouble, I can see us having problems with Canada and Kenya in our group - remember how much trouble we had with Namibia last time out?

Andy