PDA

View Full Version : American football

Just Crazy
06.02.2007, 12:42
So now thats its been announced that American Football is coming to London this October, Having looked into the date a bit further ive got it as the same weekend as pontins!!!!!!!

Which brings me to my dilema

American Football

or

Pontins

What do i do?????????????

DannyCollin
06.02.2007, 13:09
So now thats its been announced that American Football is coming to London this October, Having looked into the date a bit further ive got it as the same weekend as pontins!!!!!!!

Which brings me to my dilema

American Football

or

Pontins

What do i do?????????????

Just out of curiosity, why do they call it ''football''. seeing as the ball rarely touches a foot :biggrin:

johnmartin
06.02.2007, 13:37
Because like most ball games it originated from football via rugby football into the sport we know today. Apparently the Rugby part of the name was dropped because it had colonial connotations.

DublinBass
06.02.2007, 14:16
American Football or Pontins What do i do?????????????

Pontins...you can always catch the game on the tele.

dyl
06.02.2007, 20:22
Oops - sorry. Thought this was the Liverpool thread! ;)

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet
07.02.2007, 07:16
Oops - sorry. Thought this was the Liverpool thread! ;)
Nope, can't be the Liverpool thread, Perky hasn't plastered it with smilies - not yet:clap:

dyl
07.02.2007, 12:04
Haha! I knew there was something missing!

SuperMosh
07.02.2007, 18:32
Football - two teams of 11 players kick a ball and try to score goals - the team that scores the most wins.

Cricket - two teams of 11 players stand in front of three bits of wood and try to knock a ball away from said wood to score runs - the team that score the most runs wins.

And so on.

Could someone please explain American Football in simple terms as above. And while you're at it, why do the Americans have a World Series baseball when only US teams compete?

DublinBass
07.02.2007, 19:15
Football - two teams of 11 players kick a ball and try to score goals - the team that scores the most wins.

Cricket - two teams of 11 players stand in front of three bits of wood and try to knock a ball away from said wood to score runs - the team that score the most runs wins.

And so on.

Could someone please explain American Football in simple terms as above. And while you're at it, why do the Americans have a World Series baseball when only US teams compete?

Q1: American Football - one team of 11 players tries to get the ball across a line or through some posts, whilst the other team of 11 tries to stop them. then they switch sides.

Q2: Because we are the center of the universe. Don't you know the winner of our brass band championships is also declared world champion brass band?

:p

johnmartin
07.02.2007, 19:28
Cricket - two teams of 11 players stand in front of three bits of wood and try to knock a ball away from said wood to score runs - the team that score the most runs wins.Trying to compare the simple rules of American footbal to this game. LOL :)

SuperMosh
07.02.2007, 21:31
Q1: American Football - one team of 11 players tries to get the ball across a line or through some posts, whilst the other team of 11 tries to stop them. then they switch sides.

Q2: Because we are the center of the universe. Don't you know the winner of our brass band championships is also declared world champion brass band?

:p

U! S! A! lol

Didn't know that one to be fair. Mind you, doesn't surprise me. Next thing we know, American Foreign Policy will demonstrate pax american and they will be a World Superpower....

DublinBass
07.02.2007, 22:35
U! S! A! lol

Didn't know that one to be fair. Mind you, doesn't surprise me. Next thing we know, American Foreign Policy will demonstrate pax american and they will be a World Superpower....

Actually that was a bit tongue-in-cheek. But really, I think the U.S. calls the baseball, basketball and American Football world champions (although I don't think they do for hockey), because they believe they get the best players from around the world to play in the U.S.

It would be quite similar to calling the UEFA Champions League champions world Champions...they probably are the best league in the world, with talent from around the world that comes to play in Europe and the winners could arguably call themselves that...however, there are a few south american sides that might not like it.

dyl
07.02.2007, 23:46
...however, there are a few south american sides that might not like it.
Yup - particularly the two who've won the last 2 Fifa Club World Championships! ;)

Andy Moore
08.02.2007, 12:20
Pontins. American football is an appalling sport.

2nd man down
11.02.2007, 14:30
Did anyone stay up to watch the Pro Bowl last night?

Ended up being quite a good game for an exibition match.

AFC won it with a last second 22yd field goal 31-28.