PDA

View Full Version : First Aiders!

Roger Thorne
08.01.2003, 09:12
I have just read an article on 4-Bars Rest about Elland Silver Band's unfortunate incident involving a guest player falling at a concert and knocking himself out. Fortunately he was given first aid treatment on the spot, taken to the local A&E department and eventually drove himself home. But the incident prompted Elland Silver Band to realise that they did not have a regisitered First Aider within the ranks of the Band.

How many other Bands are in this position?

My own band have two trained First Aiders within the ranks, both available at Senior rehearsals and one available at Junior rehearsals, and have a 'standard' first aid kit in the bandroom which is also taken to engagements and social events etc. We also organise support from the local Red Cross for our bigger concerts and regularly undertake "Risk Assessments" of our Bandroom and Concert Hall to try and eliminate any potential hazards that might easily cause an accident.

It would be interesting to hear your views and comments on this topic.

(PS: Any information regarding the contents of a First Aid Box can be obtained from your local branch of the Red Cross).

Wonky_Baton
08.01.2003, 13:12
Its something I have never thought about. A lad had a heart attack in one of my bands a few years back at Blackpool. Luckily another band from the north east were at our hotel with 2 first aiders from the pit and the lad recovered.

Legally I dont think there is an obligation to provide first aiders but with the upturn in compensation cases in England generally where should we head for? There may be a need to do risk assessments for H & S at concerts etc. as the band could be liable for any accidents to players or audience.

There isn't a problem at present but the way things are progressing it may not be long before a band gets sued. We could do with a insurance scheme purely for brass bands to protect everyones interests. :?

hornblower
08.01.2003, 13:16
Wonky, I have emergency first aid training, which I have to do through work... I'm sure others will too... maybe it's worth asking in other bands as you don't know what peoples requirements are for jobs.....

satchmo shaz
08.01.2003, 18:20
luckily our band have 2 registered nurses and a st johns ambulance person.......... just what you need on a weekend away !! :lol:

Raspberry
09.01.2003, 00:15
We've got a Doctor in our band fortunately!

see Bestwood's site for more info

www.bestwoodblackdiamonds.org.uk

Roger Thorne
09.01.2003, 03:08
Raspberry wrote:

So Have Black Dyke and Cory's now . . . :lol:

The only prescription you'll get off these two doctors is to practise 3 times a day after meals.

cornetgirl
09.01.2003, 19:29

I suppose I could be classed as the band medic for Harrogate - I'm a dentist and we have to do a year's medical training as part of the course. I've even acquired a few patients within the band (causing much concern when I start dragging people into the storeroom to have their teeth checked!). Luckily, despite a series of "near-fatal shootings" (!) in the run-up to Christmas, my services haven't been required...yet.... :)

Wonky_Baton
09.01.2003, 20:43
I found out that Hornblower and Timmy the Tuba are both first aid trained at Dunston. I hope its Hornblower thats on duty if I cark it. Timmy the Tuba sticking his tongue down my throat doesn't bare thinking about - even if I was dead. :roll:

Aidan
09.01.2003, 22:04
we had a nearly-doctor... does that count!?
our ex-sop player just graduated with a PHD in Astrophysics!!!!!!

Aidan

Straightmute
10.01.2003, 00:42
We have a dentist, a fireman and a part-time undertaker, so I reckon we're pretty well covered.

Incidentally, when a borrowed player had an epileptic fit in front of the gathered members of St John Ambulance at their Annual Conference a couple of years ago, none of the b****rs got out of their seats to help!

D

satchmo shaz
10.01.2003, 00:44
weve got a docter from cambridge (Phd in natural science) and 2 doctors in astro physics!!! (I think) thats besides the 2 "proper " nurses and one st john ambulance one !.... we also have another " DR" as from next year!!! and I passed ALL my "O" levels !! :lol:

Singapore Northern Lass
10.01.2003, 08:08
Well done Shaz!!!

Singapore Northern Lass
10.01.2003, 08:08
Well done Shaz!!! :wink:

asteria
10.01.2003, 12:05
Aidan,

Would you trust Clive to do the right thing if you collapsed?! (No offence intended Clive :) )

And what do you mean "spammer of emails", you spammer of texts!

Helen

Di B
10.01.2003, 15:47
Its something I have never thought about. A lad had a heart attack in one of my bands a few years back at Blackpool. Luckily another band from the north east were at our hotel with 2 first aiders from the pit and the lad recovered.

Legally I dont think there is an obligation to provide first aiders but with the upturn in compensation cases in England generally where should we head for? There may be a need to do risk assessments for H & S at concerts etc. as the band could be liable for any accidents to players or audience.

There isn't a problem at present but the way things are progressing it may not be long before a band gets sued. We could do with a insurance scheme purely for brass bands to protect everyones interests. :?

Not so long ago a guest player had an accident when helping us out on a concert. Usually the items you use belong to the organiser not the band and so they are liable not the band. (IE chairs/marquees etc)

However, if someone ran over your toe with a timp..... I would assume the band may be liable? I *think* bands have liability insurance anyway.

As for first aiders.... we needed one at Pontins and fortunatly one of our players has done first aid at work and assisted. (We could have done with a CPR unit for the player who ran halfway across Pontins to get an ambulance tho! lol!) Maybe bands should consider paying for a St Johns Ambulance course on first aid just in case?

The thought about first aid box is important..... will double check if we have one - thanks!

hornblower
14.01.2003, 17:12
cheers wonky....... :shock: :shock: :shock: doesn't bear thinking about........

Mr Smiler
31.01.2003, 17:11
I'm replying with my professional hat on as a Health and Safety Inspector.

The Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 do not make any specific requirements for voluntary organisations to provide first aid facilities or personnel. Places of entertainment, such as concert halls have a duty to protect non-employees (the public and artistes) and should have the necessary facilities (hence St Johns or others). The minimum requirement for employers is to provide an "Appointed Person" and this may be something as simple as someone appointed to call an ambulance in an emergency.

Health and Safety law is often quite vague and is often difficult to interpret. As I said there is no legal requirement under the Health and Safety at Work Act to do this, but it may be deemed wise to have at least some basic provision in place to look after the people who you do have a responsibility for.

cornetgirl
01.02.2003, 15:22
Health and Safety law is often quite vague and is often difficult to interpret. As I said there is no legal requirement under the Health and Safety at Work Act to do this, but it may be deemed wise to have at least some basic provision in place to look after the people who you do have a responsibility for.

Tell me about it...just been updating our H&S file at work.

For our band's tour I'm travelling as the "official" person - more for my own peace of mind as if someone did decide to collapse I'm ethically bound to treat them so I'd quite like to have the correct kit!

I do want a crash helmet with a little flashing blue light though!

Rach x

Aidan
01.02.2003, 19:48
Aidan,

Would you trust Clive to do the right thing if you collapsed?! (No offence intended Clive :) )

And what do you mean "spammer of emails", you spammer of texts!

Helen

well... no :D
and i didnt spam texts at all granny!

stopher
02.02.2003, 16:47
My band is pretty lucky - the Bass Trom is a recently retired paediatrician and the Chairperson is another Doctor. Two of the mums are nurses and we even have a vicar on the committee in case things go extremely wrong and the last rites are needed.

Saying all that, we probably have Britains Brainiest Bass Section!!! One is a Prof at the University, another has a P.H.D, another is studying for a P.H.D and the last one leads the lifestyle of a student!

Chris

Menai Bridge Band

PeterBale
03.02.2003, 10:00
There certainly do seem to be some anomalies regarding the position of First Aiders, and the public perception of what they can and can't do. In a previous employment we needed to have a member of staff trained as a First Aider, but were amazed at the restrictions placed upon him, at risk of losing his First Aider status - he was not allowed, for example, to dispense a sticking plaster!

Sarahjo
22.02.2003, 15:08
we have two nurses within our ranks including me, so we're ok if an incident occurs!!

geordiecolin
27.11.2003, 13:11
thought i'd dredge out some old topics!

I remember Ovington Tynedale used to have a St. John's Instructor playing BBb Bass (he's actually on here as Prudhoe_bass but never posts). I wasn't there, but apparently he once had to perform CPR on a contest organiser!!

Alas though it always seemed to be him getting into difficulty;

1) Cracked Rib suffered when large percussionist sat on him on the buson the way to National Finals
2) Severe Anaphylatic shock when he swigged a pint with a wasp in it. Ended up drifting in and out of consiousness whilst instructing a student nurse in the band how to use the oxygen kit out of his car!
3) Bizarre Angina attack type thing on the way back from Whitehaven Contest. Spiked drinks were apparently the cause. Me and my big sis ended up doing first aid (it was him who taught us!)and my dad ended telling the rest of the band (v.drunk) in a very loud voice that Hexham General Hospital was neither a pub nor a toilet stop!!

Lauradoll
28.11.2003, 14:10
Well Heln, you and the rest of the BT mob can breathe easy since I went on a first aid course last year and (somehow) passed it. What a pleasant thought eh. Just having lunch and practising my shakers.........

Railybobs
29.11.2003, 20:23
Tyldesley has a police officer and countless engineers. Sure one of them would know what to do.

But you do have a point that it isn't something we have an action plan for.

Bandsmen seem to get so Pi**ed that anything could happen and they wouldn't be able to do anything.

Lauradoll
30.11.2003, 17:53
Yeah my mate fell over at the Carnegie contest last year and broke her thumb but because she was so rangooned, they couldn't operate till the next day. She ended up with a pin in her thumb for a couple of months. Nice. And those stairs at the ladies toilets in the Winter Gardens in Blackpool are lethal after a few shandies!!!!

BrassNeil
30.11.2003, 21:43
Nasty accident a few years ago at Carnegie, when BBb Bass player (Ian) from Johnstone tripped through a doorway, tuba in one hand beer in other (didnt spill a drop, a true tuba genius). Fortunately one of their band was on hand with some medical experience, as i was about to be sick due to the unatural shape of his now broken arm. It mended up fine though, so perhaps a good first aid knowledge is not a bad thing to have in the band.

Trom41821
30.11.2003, 22:19
Well with only 5 to look after I'm OK. I'm also a First Aid assessor......yes that nasty person that puts you through your paces after a long weeks slog on your course!!!!!!!!