PDA

View Full Version : Sports Personality

Pythagoras
24.11.2006, 11:42
Who do you think should/will win.

Will it be someone who has done very well in less popular sports (Beth Tweddle, Nicole Cooke, Zara Phillips) or someone who has done OK in a big sport (Monty Panesar, Andy Murray), or even a comedian who achieved an impressive athletic achievement but wasn't in a sport.

WoodenFlugel
25.11.2006, 00:15
Well now lets see...

Footballers - rubbish.
Rugby Union players - equally rubbish (sorry I don't "do" league).
Track athletics team - very disappointing.
Cricketers - after the ashes success last year, which they were rightly praised for, are now geting an absolute spanking down under. Its early days, but the signs don't look good...

but on a positive note:

Jenson Button won his first F1 race, our swimmers were quite good (apparently), Beth Tweddle won a gold medal somewhere, Zara Phillips also won something. But at the end of the day - and no disrespect meant - these are minority sports (apart from F1 - and winning a race is hardly worthy of SPotY) so I guess the votes will be spread across all of the nominations. I dunno - Zara Phillips and Beth Tweddle....I guess both are equally worthy of it.

...and then there is young Mr Walliams - a comedian who did fantastically well to swim the channel in the time he did. He must be a contender, which says a lot about UK sport this year I think. So could one of our most coveted sporting awards go to a non-sportsman? Unless the BBC do something to prevent voting for him, I wouldn't bet against it.

brassneck
25.11.2006, 17:59
I think Bob Cooper (http://www.worldrps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=297&Itemid=62) deserves the accolade! ;)

David Pegram
25.11.2006, 18:11
Should be Tony McCoy has been at the top of his sport for years.

dyl
25.11.2006, 21:02
Should be Tony McCoy has been at the top of his sport for years.
And his crisps are the best around!

Laserbeam bass
26.11.2006, 19:16
Therer is no real competition this year as Darren Clarke is guaranteed it. I know he went through a lot in his personal life, and came back to play Golf, but does this make him a sporting personality?

If you are looking for a personality, something that the BBC and the general public have failed to do on more than occassion, then IMHO it should go to Monty Panesar. As well as developing into a fine cricketer, he has a character amd a personality.

Stan Van Der Lager
27.11.2006, 19:14
And his crisps are the best around!

Especially the Mexican Chilli ones which I only discovered last week.

Ahhh Mudhauden Panesar that good ol' English name along with the other Englishman in the ashes squad Sajid Mahmood. They must go nicely along side the fella in the England Rugby union squad from Saturday's game Mark Van Gisbergen...

Darth_Tuba
27.11.2006, 20:26

Ahhh Mudhauden Panesar that good ol' English name ...

He was born in Luton, Bedfordshire. What does his name have to do with anything?

2nd man down
28.11.2006, 12:34
Kevin Blackwell. What a guy. :biggrin:

Ipswich trom
28.11.2006, 13:28

Ahhh Mudhauden Panesar that good ol' English name along with the other Englishman in the ashes squad Sajid Mahmood. They must go nicely along side the fella in the England Rugby union squad from Saturday's game Mark Van Gisbergen...

And don't forget our resident South Africans, Strauss and Pietersen and our token "not good enough for them" Aussie, Geraint Jones.

dyl
29.11.2006, 10:23
I'd vote for Joe Calzaghe if it wasn't for his non-British surname. ;) :rolleyes:

Pythagoras
29.11.2006, 11:22
I'd vote for Joe Calzaghe if it wasn't for his non-British surname. ;) :rolleyes:

Made himself look like a really arrogant person with his comments in the press last week, which won't help his cause.

dyl
29.11.2006, 12:13
Made himself look like a really arrogant person with his comments in the press last week, which won't help his cause.
Ah well, he's a boxer! He has to be arrogant! ;)

2nd man down
29.11.2006, 13:00

What did he say?

Arrogant or not (and I suppose when you make a living trying to beat the bejeezus out of people you need to be a little on the arrogant side), Joe gets my proper vote.

Pythagoras
29.11.2006, 14:26
What did he say?

Arrogant or not (and I suppose when you make a living trying to beat the bejeezus out of people you need to be a little on the arrogant side), Joe gets my proper vote.

He said that the BBC always pick losers, so he wouldn't win. (Kelly Holmes, Steve Redgrave, Andrew Flintoff?)

dyl
29.11.2006, 14:31
He said that the BBC always pick losers, so he wouldn't win. (Kelly Holmes, Steve Redgrave, Andrew Flintoff?)

1997: Greg Rusedski
1990: Paul Gascoigne

;)

jmb83
29.11.2006, 18:39
1997: Greg Rusedski
1990: Paul Gascoigne

;)

Damon Hill 1996 - how can you win Sports PERSONALITY without any?!!
same for Nigel Mansell.

For me i'd like Calzaghe, or Beth Tweddle (but doubt she'd get a look in because of the minority sport issue.) or Jenson Button.
I know he's only won the one race, but he's shown guts and determination and a lot of personality to get through the team trouble - constanly failing Honda engines for instance.

My votes is Beth Tweddle tho

Bungle
29.11.2006, 22:47
I think my vote would go for Amir Khan (don't think he's won before) seams a nice lad and soo good for his age

madandcrazytromboneguy
30.11.2006, 01:32
Kevin Blackwell. What a guy. :biggrin:

watch your mouth!, he's your next manager if you sacko jacko ;) !

madandcrazytromboneguy
30.11.2006, 01:38
how about readings manager steve coppell?

he's guided a steady reading side to destroying the championship, with limited money, kept a team who have mostly played together since about the 2000/01 season, then when gaining promotion, again hardly bought anyone in, and plays with an 80% british team every week, and have hardly been in the bottom half all season!

he's done a collective effort all year, and the bloke should be awarded for it

the prize shouldn't always go to a big star like rooney or rooney, or even that evertonian mancherish striker called rooney

give it some1 who has worked hard with limited resources! (and been successfull in the process!)

Heather
30.11.2006, 21:32
It would be great if Beth Tweddle did win....especially as she's local to me....and she is one of the few people who actually deserve it this year.

BigHorn
30.11.2006, 21:59
Joe Calzaghe for me too.

Don't forget that really impressive world title unification victory against Jeff Lacy earlier in the year.

Bungle
04.12.2006, 13:44
Just looking at the nominations from the the UK papers on the BBC web site http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/6157540.stm and the scottish paper 'The Daily Record' nominated Sven. Ha Ha very funny

tinytimp
04.12.2006, 14:44

He's half way there....won the BBC Wales Sports Personality of the Year last night.

Nicole Cook 2nd, Ryan Giggs 3rd
Welsh Team of the Year: Commonwealth Games medallists

brassneck
10.12.2006, 21:01
Zara Phillips won! :clap: or is it :eek: ?

WoodenFlugel
10.12.2006, 21:14
Well I think that was a pretty fair result really. She is after all the World and European Champion, so fair do's really.

dyl
10.12.2006, 22:25
And the award goes to, someone who lets a horse do the work, someone who has been given the best facilities, coaches, horses, etc. throughout her career, due to being part of the Royal Family - so many sacrifices to endure eh?

Congratulations and all that!

Pythagoras
11.12.2006, 08:35
And the award goes to, someone who lets a horse do the work, someone who has been given the best facilities, coaches, horses, etc. throughout her career, due to being part of the Royal Family - so many sacrifices to endure eh?

Congratulations and all that!

That's a bit harsh. If she hadn't been any good, she wouldn't have had decent horses. I'm not a fan of the royal family, but I'm not going to knock somebody who has actually achieved something.

Are you saying that only people from poor backgrounds should be considered?

dyl
11.12.2006, 10:24
Are you saying that only people from poor backgrounds should be considered?
Not at all, just that she seems to have been given a huge helping hand along the way. Fair do's, she's a double champion, but she's not an Olympic champion - which I'm led to believe is the pinancle of that particular 'sport'. Anyway, I'm not really that bothered - this 'award' lost any credibility it may have had, ages ago.

An interesting stat today is that Zara Phillips polled nealry a third of all votes last night - I wonder how much the Darren Clarke story/non-story in the tabloids yesterday hurt his chances of winning?

Pythagoras
11.12.2006, 12:07
Not at all, just that she seems to have been given a huge helping hand along the way. Fair do's, she's a double champion, but she's not an Olympic champion - which I'm led to believe is the pinancle of that particular 'sport'. Anyway, I'm not really that bothered - this 'award' lost any credibility it may have had, ages ago.

An interesting stat today is that Zara Phillips polled nealry a third of all votes last night - I wonder how much the Darren Clarke story/non-story in the tabloids yesterday hurt his chances of winning?

What story was that?

brassneck
11.12.2006, 12:16
What story was that?

- maybe this (http://darren-clarke-news.newslib.com/story/1938-3078449/) one? :confused:

2nd man down
11.12.2006, 12:19
Would that be the alleged whisperings that despite his apparent immense grief and the consequential outpouring of public support he may already have another woman in tow? Don't know, I didn't read it, it's just what I heard someone in work say today. Would be a real shame if a typically tabloid sensationalist story like that ruined his chances.

Well done to the Zara, wonder which trophy will take pride of place, hers or her mums?