PDA

View Full Version : Gloucestershire Brass Band Association Contest

Kiz7
20.11.2006, 14:52
So, which bands are going? Anyone know the full line up and adjudicator's?

I looked on the GBBA website last night but no list of bands entered which is a shame. (In fact, the site hasn't been updated since October which is a bit odd when you consider the contest is the biggest event in the GBBA calendar)

If you are a GBBA band and aren't going, why not? This contest seems to be struggling a bit now and I am curious as to why bands are choosing not to enter.

davethehorny
20.11.2006, 17:12
Competing bands are as follows: -

Section D - Unregistered (2 entries) Draw 12.15pm Commences 1.00pm
Lydbrook Training
Usk Youth

Section C - (7 entries) Draw 12.45pm Commences 1.30pm
A W Parker (Drybrook)
Bream Silver
Chalford Academy
Marshfield
Midsomer Norton & Radstock
Nailsworth Silver
Phoenix Brass

Section B (2 entries) Draw 3.00pm Commences 4.15pm
Pillowell Silver
Bream Silver

Section A (3 entries) Draw 5.00pm Commences 5.00pm
Cinderford
Forest of Dean Brass
Lydbrook

Should be a good days contesting with most local bands managing to be there. It will be nice to meet a few old friends and renew some old rivalries.

Look forward to seeing you there Kiz7!

davethehorny
20.11.2006, 17:19
Forgot to add - the adjudicator is Philip Harper fresh from taking Polysteel Band at Brass In Concert last weekend.

GingerMaestro
20.11.2006, 17:23
Are Bream doing both Sections. Good Luck to them and fair play (Why Not)

Good Luck to Drybrook as well

davethehorny
20.11.2006, 17:30
Yes- Bream Silver are entering both sections.

I am assuming that they are playing a different test piece and march in each section (I can't quite remember the rules about playing in more than one section, but I think they can't play the same piece twice).

Whatever happens, I hear they are playing well and will be stiff competition for us in Section C and for Pillowell in Section B.

I can't wait to get on that stage.

Kiz7
20.11.2006, 18:29
Are Bream doing both Sections. Good Luck to them and fair play (Why Not)

Good Luck to Drybrook as well

Yes, they are Martin. Playing different pieces in both sections. But I'll give you a little hint - Mod edit: sorry, not allowed!

Kiz7
21.11.2006, 17:00
Yes, they are Martin. Playing different pieces in both sections. But I'll give you a little hint - Mod edit: sorry, not allowed!

sorry, Mods. Thought it would be okay as I wasn't actually saying what they are playing.

Shame there are not more bands in the sections though, would make it more of a contest

jim
21.11.2006, 17:53
Im gonna pop along as Im hoping a few others from Polysteel, always try and support this contest if possable and will be there supporting Phil Harper, Mike James the chairman of the gbba ect, were are bands like Lydney ect?

alks
21.11.2006, 18:19
Ill be there with Marshfield band in the 4th section. This will be the first time marshfield has competed as a registered band in 10 years!. It will also be the first time ive played as a registered player! Previously we had competed in the unregistered section. We are also going to the areas next year, so its all been quite frantic at band recently!

Ive got a few exposed duets so i expect ill be really nervous on the day.

Not sure where all the bands are, but i know that the wessex band association moved thier contest to the same day, perhaps some bands are playing there instead? if its allwowed?

Good luck to everyone.

Alks

Chunky
21.11.2006, 18:27
Good Luck to Bream!!

Forest Gump
21.11.2006, 19:29
after a bit of confusion and a rule change and sadly a funeral,we did'nt quite manage to get a band for the contest,would of loved to have gone but we'll be there next year.good luck to the forest bands,stuart berry hill band.
p.s
its a bit far to travel

Hann
21.11.2006, 19:44
Sad to say that Chalford won't be going either - still recovering from our recent capers in Prestatyn! Also, have been preparing for couple of concerts, but some of us will be out in force to support our training band, Chalford Academy (and to have a few drinks, meet up with friends, etc..) See you all down there!

Kiz7
21.11.2006, 22:58
Sad to say that Chalford won't be going either - still recovering from our recent capers in Prestatyn! Also, have been preparing for couple of concerts, but some of us will be out in force to support our training band, Chalford Academy (and to have a few drinks, meet up with friends, etc..) See you all down there!

Disappointed that Chalford aren't going, would have been good to hear the Pontins winners and would have made the sections a bit more competitive.

Lydney aren't quite at full strength just yet as their Principal Cornet has recently left and there a few other small gaps at the moment. I think they are aiming to be out contesting early in the new year.

Shame the likes of Portishead aren't competing too, as they have recently taken part in the SWBBA contest so should be fairly in form.

Never mind, will be an interesting day nonetheless.

jim
22.11.2006, 19:01
I may not be going know may need a lift, as I have had a car accident. Dont feel to bad but may need a lift.

Han fancy making a detor from stroad?!!

Forest Gump
25.11.2006, 10:00
just noticed the forest area will not have anybody in the 4th section next year

davethehorny
25.11.2006, 10:28

Unfortunately wrong on this occasion - Bream Silver will still be in the Fourth Section next year even though they qualified for the National Finals this year. They were relegated back to the Fourth Section in 2005 where they finished in 14th place. That will mean they will need another good placing in 2007 to be promoted back up.

Having said that, the way they are playing at the moment I am sure they will be back up very soon.

Kiz7
25.11.2006, 10:38

Bream will be in the 4th section next year as they didn't get promoted this year.

Forest Gump
25.11.2006, 10:40
after there good results i just thought they were going up,i would put my morgage on them doing it next year.
good luck dave and i'll be listening

Kiz7
25.11.2006, 23:54
Competing bands are as follows: -

Section D - Unregistered (2 entries) Draw 12.15pm Commences 1.00pm
Lydbrook Training
Usk Youth

Section C - (7 entries) Draw 12.45pm Commences 1.30pm
A W Parker (Drybrook)
Bream Silver
Chalford Academy
Marshfield
Midsomer Norton & Radstock
Nailsworth Silver
Phoenix Brass

Section B (2 entries) Draw 3.00pm Commences 4.15pm
Pillowell Silver
Bream Silver

Section A (3 entries) Draw 5.00pm Commences 5.00pm
Cinderford
Forest of Dean Brass
Lydbrook

Should be a good days contesting with most local bands managing to be there. It will be nice to meet a few old friends and renew some old rivalries.

Look forward to seeing you there Kiz7!

Can't quite see how Section C can start at 1.30 to be honest as both section D bands will have to play a march (3 minutes?) & test piece (at least 10 minutes I'd guess?) so this will mean they will have to get on and off stage and have the results in about 4 minutes! In section B the timings seem to allow 45 minutes for 2 bands. Perhaps the unregistered section will have to play faster!!

davethehorny
26.11.2006, 10:53
Can't quite see how Section C can start at 1.30 to be honest as both section D bands will have to play a march (3 minutes?) & test piece (at least 10 minutes I'd guess?) so this will mean they will have to get on and off stage and have the results in about 4 minutes! In section B the timings seem to allow 45 minutes for 2 bands. Perhaps the unregistered section will have to play faster!!

Are the Section D results being given after Section C as there are only two bands in Section D?

Forest Gump
26.11.2006, 20:37
anybody know the results from sections b and a

Kiz7
26.11.2006, 21:32
FULL RESULTS:

Section D: training, youth and unregistered bands (2 entries)

March:
1st: Lydbrook Training

Test piece:
1st: Usk Youth
2nd: Lydbrook Training

Best Instrumentalist: Euphonium, Usk Youth (Jamie)
Graham Watkins Memorial Trophy for the Conductor of the winning band : Jeff Jones

Section C: Fourth Section Bands (7 entries)

March:
1st: Drybrook 79pts
2nd: Bream 78pts
3rd: Chalford Academy 76pts

Test piece:
1st: Bream 83pts
2nd: Drybrook 82pts
3rd: Chalford Academy 76pts

Best Instrumentalist: Eb Bass, Drybrook (Andy Kear)
Best Trombone Section: Drybrook

Pheonix Brass Withdrew

Section B: Third and Second Section Bands (2 entries)

March:
1st: Bream 83pts
2nd: Pillowell 77pts

Test piece:
1st: Pillowell 88pts
2nd: Bream 81pts

Best Instrumentalist: Cornet, Pillowell (Kate Smith)

Section A: First and Championship Section Bands (3 entries)

March:
1st: Lydbrook 88pts
2nd: Forest of Dean Brass 86pts
3rd: Cinderford 84pts

Test piece:
1st: Lydbrook 93pts
2nd: Forest od Dean Brass 92pts
3rd: Cinderford 89pts

Best Instrumentalist: Cornet, Forest of Dean Brass (Craig Wintle)
James Whitson Trophy for the Conductor of the Winning Band: Steve Sykes

Special Awards:

Band with the most players under the age of 14: Nailsworth
Best Horn Section: Forest of Dean Brass
Best Bass Section: Cinderford
Best Percussion Section: Lydbrook
Best Cornet Player: Forest of Dean Brass (Craig Wintle)
Best Flugel Player: Lydbrook (Marie Pearce)
Best Euphonium Player: Forest of Dean Brass (Merv)
Best Instrumentalist of the Day: Cornet player of Forest of Dean Brass (Craig Wintle)

Kiz7
26.11.2006, 21:33
Apologies to any of the bands if I have got any of the points wrong in the results above, and to the soloists who I didn't know their surnames!

Forest Gump
26.11.2006, 21:37
thanks for that had to leave after sec c,good to see craig done well

GingerMaestro
27.11.2006, 10:29
Where are all the other association bands. I know about Lydney and why they are not in attendance but on average 3 per section is a bit of a poor show. I know there have been some issues with rule changes but what about the likes of Polysteel, City of Bristol, Wotton under Edge Portishead etc. Your local Association is work hard for you as an organiseation and by not supporting your association contest must seem like a kick in the guts to them.

Is it the lack of prize money, the venue, or just the contest itself. I am sure if you let someone know on the committee they could work to improving the contest. In the 20+ years I have played at the contest I have always enjoyed the day if not always the result and it would be a shame to see the event die out, which is what will happen if the member band fail to support it

Tuba Dave
27.11.2006, 11:38
I'm talking from a personal point of view here and this is no way reflective of wotton band, but the problem of the GBBA contest for me is the venue, its in the middle of nowhere, the bar/ restaurant closes quite early and theres very minimal trade stands.

Forest Gump
27.11.2006, 11:44
for some bands it was to close to other contests [pontins and brass in concert],others say it to close to xmas,i think in the forest there are a lot of bands, and not enouth players to go round this is why there's a percentage of bands that are unable to get people to fill all the seats.
also where were the welsh bands ?

GingerMaestro
27.11.2006, 11:54
I aprheciate what you are saying :tup but these are the sorts of things that need to be brought up with the GBBA committee. This is your contest and if things mentoned above reflect on you going or not then they need to be addressed

Forest Gump
27.11.2006, 12:14
so i've been told the reason it is in the middle of the wonderfull forest of dean [not nowhere] 1,where most compeating bands are from.
2,the stewards and people doing refresments are local to the venue could they get people in other areas to do it.
3,in the past they have attracted many welsh bands due to the location.
4,it has been moved in the past which was'nt sucsessfull

MissBraz
27.11.2006, 12:27
I dont know about other bands but for chalford senior it was just after pontins and we had been working hard on the test piece (god job as well as it did us good) but as pontins has been moved back a week it is even closer to the GBBA. Also the adjudacator was the polysteel conductor...... That probably had something to do with why they was not there..............

jim
27.11.2006, 13:03
but what about the likes of Polysteel, City of Bristol, Wotton under Edge Portishead etc. Your local Association is work hard for you as an organiseation and by not supporting your association contest must seem like a kick in the guts to them.
[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to support this contest, but if you notice martin on the GBBA website Polysteel are no longer members of the GBBA (now iv probably opened up a big can of worms!) well were not in the listings on there!

Forest Gump
27.11.2006, 13:19
thats a bit sad are they to good to associate with other bands in there area, if not why is it

GingerMaestro
27.11.2006, 13:22
but what about the likes of Polysteel, City of Bristol, Wotton under Edge Portishead etc. Your local Association is work hard for you as an organiseation and by not supporting your association contest must seem like a kick in the guts to them.

It would be nice to support this contest, but if you notice martin on the GBBA website Polysteel are no longer members of the GBBA (now iv probably opened up a big can of worms!) well were not in the listings on there![/quote]

I would like to make one thing clear about my comments

I am not having a go at the band s who do not attend the contest but merely sugesting if there is a reason why a band does not appear and maybe the GBBA could do something to sort it out then it is worth asking the question

jim
27.11.2006, 17:47
Unofrtantly im in no postion to say (aspecially on a forum) why Polysteel are not in the assotiation anymore, but maby the fact that very feiw people actully new that the the band wasnt in it, is a shock.

davethehorny
28.11.2006, 14:11
Where are all the other association bands

Firstly may I say what a great contest it was on Sunday and what a good job Phil Harper did in adjudicating. As yet I have yet to hear any grumbles about the results. Is this is a first among Brass Band Contests? My own band were happy that the comments made both on stage and on the written remarks were a fair reflection of our days playing.

There are approximately 40 member bands in the GBBA some of which are non competitive. I am sure that most bands have reasons for attending or not attending the GBBA Contest, be it location, timing or lack of players.

The GBBA Executive Committee are always willing to discuss these issues so that we can ensure that as many bands as possible compete in our contest. Should anyone have any ideas on how to ensure a higher turn out of competing bands then the executive would welcome input from any member band or individual.

We are open to listen to any ideas that would further enhance what is always considered an enjoyable contest. We would also welcome more bands attending the GBBA AGM in 2007 so that these points may be discussed more fully in a positive manner.

The GBBA is an organisation set up to represent member bands in the area and if you are not happy with any part of the organisation please let us know.

Should anyone wish to make any points with regard to last weeks contest, have any suggestions to improve it or wish to help in the running of the contest please PM me and I will be happy to bring up suggestions at the next Executive Committee meeting.

davethehorny
28.11.2006, 14:21
It would be nice to support this contest, but if you notice martin on the GBBA website Polysteel are no longer members of the GBBA (now iv probably opened up a big can of worms!) well were not in the listings on there!

Correct - Polysteel Band have decided that they currently see no benefit to being a member of the GBBA. A shame really as the membership cost is only minimal.

It would be unfair however not to point out that their Band Manager, Mike James, is GBBA Chairman, represents the GBBA in the West of England Area meetings and also is one of our representatives on the BFBB. All of which he does in his own time and without the self interest of representing his band.

Forest Gump
28.11.2006, 14:46
i do think that polysteel being the strongest band in the area should think again,my band berry hill could have the same view,we're not currently in a position to attend contest but would love too,finacially i'm sure they are better off than we are and as you said dave it is a small fee.
its a good job other bands have shown more loyalty when they see no benefit

MissBraz
28.11.2006, 17:28
Stuart545 why are you getting on to polysteel so much?!!?
One band does not make a contest!

Forest Gump
28.11.2006, 19:32
i was'nt that worried that they did'nt go to the contest,i just think everbody in the area should support the gbba.
we would be far worse off with out them.

Kiz7
28.11.2006, 22:15
i was'nt that worried that they did'nt go to the contest,i just think everbody in the area should support the gbba.
we would be far worse off with out them.

It could be argued that Polysteel did more to support the contest than other member bands as both their Conductor (who was adjudicating) and their band manager (chairman of the GBBA) were present all day and were instrumental (forgive the pun) in the success of the contest. Even if they were currently a member band its highly unlikely that they would have competed as the were at Brass in Concert last weekend.

Kiz7
28.11.2006, 22:18
Correct - Polysteel Band have decided that they currently see no benefit to being a member of the GBBA.

Dave - do you actually know for sure that this is the reason behind their decision? If not, then perhaps it would be best not to make assumptions as it could influence other people's opinions regarding the issue.

Congratulations on Drybrook's results.

K

Chris Hicks
28.11.2006, 22:50
I think polysteel have enough on there hands as it is with out going to another contest! And besides they would have had no conductor anyway!

jackocorn
28.11.2006, 23:35
Enter - then they'd get accused of easy "pot hunting"?

weenie
29.11.2006, 01:36
It is at the end of the day a question of timing with Brass In Concert so near the date every year, plus additional gigs, also the prize money at the GBBA leaves a lot to be desired! You get the same amount (100) given to each band at BIC just for entering it, which I think is roughly the same amount which used to be given to the winning band at the GBBA a few years back. So with that in mind, it's going to cost the band a lot of money what with the hire of a coach (as a lot of players live quite a way from Coleford, i.e. Leicester, Reading, Oxford). It's not that the band are cash hunters, it just does not add up financially for the band. Also, when the band does turn up, we can sometimes be accused of so called easy 'pot hunting', so we can't win either way! I'm sure that in the very near future, the band WILL show it's support, not only to the Assosiation but also the Gloucestershire Youth Brass Band in some other way.

davethehorny
01.12.2006, 13:09
Dave - do you actually know for sure that this is the reason behind their decision? If not, then perhaps it would be best not to make assumptions as it could influence other people's opinions regarding the issue.

Yes - I know this for sure. Remember I do sit on the Executive Committee.

If I did not know this for sure then I would not have written it.

alks
01.12.2006, 15:31
I quite enjoyed the contest and wasn't as nervous as i thought i'd be.

I think we finished 5th ? in the 4th section, after a very average performance brought on by nerves and few problems with a key cornet player unable to attend at the last minute and our sop player coming straight of stage conducting the previous band then instantly having to play sop with us with no break. For a number of players it was their first ever contest also. And sadly we coudn't get our new percusion player registered in time either !! arrgg

All good experence and we are looking forward to the Entertainments on the 4th Feb, then the areas on the 10th, actually we ran through the area test piece the other night and the dury's out.........(my rep part didnt seam that hard?)

who else is going to the gbba entertainments?

alks

Kiz7
01.12.2006, 17:52
Yes - I know this for sure. Remember I do sit on the Executive Committee.

If I did not know this for sure then I would not have written it.

Sorry Dave - forgot how important you are

davethehorny
01.12.2006, 17:55
Sorry Dave - forgot how important you are

This is hardly the forum - just pointing out the facts.

Kiz7
01.12.2006, 18:04
This is hardly the forum - just pointing out the facts.

Huh? I don't understand. I was being genuine. I meant, forgot how important you are so wouldn't post it if you didn't know for sure. What are you on about?

dyl
01.12.2006, 19:01
Ok folks - we think that's enough. This is a thread for discussing the recent GBBA contest. If people have any issues with any particular band's non-appearance, or their membership status of any association, then can we suggest yo utake it up with the management team of the band in question?

Back to the contest please...................

davethehorny
01.12.2006, 19:11

OK mods - we do genuinely wish to hear from anyone with positive suggestions with how to improve the contest be it date, location or how to get even more entries.

Please pm me with any thoughts as they will be taken forward to the next meeting.

QAD
01.12.2006, 20:53
Wish that were true, but Bream will still be in the fourth section next year - and its going to take us a good result above our nearest competition in the regionals to get out of the fourth section....
Oh well, on to Mr Wilbys seaons...

Kiz7
02.12.2006, 00:46
Ok folks - we think that's enough. This is a thread for discussing the recent GBBA contest. If people have any issues with any particular band's non-appearance, or their membership status of any association, then can we suggest yo utake it up with the management team of the band in question?

Spot on Dyl - I wholeheartedly agree.

I enjoyed the day and thought that Phil Harper (the adjudicator) did an excellent job. The remarks I read were encouraging, balanced and totally reflected the way the band had played. Not often we can say that eh?
Mr Harper also made some bold decisions with some rather large points gaps in some of the sections. Good to see an adjudicator who truly believes in their decision and with the strength of character to allow the points to reflect this. Well Done Phil!

Kiz7
02.12.2006, 00:49
OK mods - we do genuinely wish to hear from anyone with positive suggestions with how to improve the contest be it date, location or how to get even more entries.

Please pm me with any thoughts as they will be taken forward to the next meeting.

Or alternatively, you can contact them via the GBBA website which is www.gbbaonline.co.uk

DaveR
02.12.2006, 00:58
Or alternatively, you can contact them via the GBBA website which is www.gbbaonline.co.uk (http://www.gbbaonline.co.uk)

Actually, www.gbbaonline.org ;)

Kiz7
02.12.2006, 01:01
Actually, www.gbbaonline.org ;)

You are SO right *holds head in shame*

QAD
02.12.2006, 21:43
Spot on Dyl - I wholeheartedly agree.

I enjoyed the day and thought that Phil Harper (the adjudicator) did an excellent job. The remarks I read were encouraging, balanced and totally reflected the way the band had played. Not often we can say that eh?
Mr Harper also made some bold decisions with some rather large points gaps in some of the sections. Good to see an adjudicator who truly believes in their decision and with the strength of character to allow the points to reflect this. Well Done Phil!

I agree that Phil did an excellent job and its good to see local people who have musically done well putting a lot back into the association, however, I do feel that the prolonged tea-break before each of the results did the association itself no favours. Whilst Phill fully deserved refreshment, a long delay before the results does nothing but fuel speculation.
Let me be clear here, I have worked with Phil a great deal in past and I am not having a dig in any way at his integrety or that of the GBBA, but I feel that the long delay in delivering the results could have been eaily mis-interpreted...
PS I try to be very impartial regardless of any results

Kiz7
02.12.2006, 21:56
The mix-up with the announcement of the Section A results made things interesting for a moment! Even Phil looked surprised.

QAD
02.12.2006, 23:54
The mix-up with the announcement of the Section A results made things interesting for a moment! Even Phil looked surprised.
Exactly