PDA

View Full Version : How does it feel?

Band Goose
04.01.2003, 23:02
I'm very new to the banding scene and as a consequence my playing standard is still low! What I want to know is how does it feel to walk onto the contest stage and play with a championship section band? :shock:

davidsait
05.01.2003, 09:25
I'd been playing with 4/3/2nd section bands for 5 years before I walked on stage with a Championship Section band. It didn't feel any different. Sorry to disappoint :)

Dave Sait

satchmo shaz
05.01.2003, 17:43
no doesnt feel any different and winning is just as good whatever section !

Di B
06.01.2003, 10:05
Think it depends on the attitude of the band and the MD rather than the section of the band. I have been on stage with a band and you could feel the presence and dedication of all the players around you... you looked up and it seemed as if the MD was standing just a foot away as he commanded your attention so well.... I had never played with so much effort....

Also been with other top section bands on stage and nothing... not a jot....

Ask about solos however and you have a different story! That can get a huge variety of feelings... depending on how difficult you find it to play and the performance you give!

Aidan
06.01.2003, 20:21
i spose it depends which contest stage you are walking out onto :P
i have to say that walking out into the Ballroom at Pontins is quite a different feeling than walking out to the Symphony Hall or Royal Albert!!!!!!

amgray
07.01.2003, 14:52
The bigger name the band the more pressure there is.
There is a great expectation from audiences when the likes of Dyke, B&R, YBS, Faireys, Grimethorpe etc walk out to play. There is an even greater expectation from within the band itself.
You are only as good as your last contest performance and a really bad one can end your time with that band without mercy.
Championship banding at the very highest level is not for the faint hearted.

Heather
07.01.2003, 16:07
Band Goose,
Dream about playing in a Championship Band and if it happens you've deserved it and well done but in the meantime enjoy your time in the lower sections.
That's where you will learn the true meaning of banding and meet people you will be friends with forever.
Good luck. I hope you become successful and do realise the dream but be content with what you've got at the moment and enjoy it.

Roger Thorne
07.01.2003, 16:41
Heather wrote:

Dream about playing in a Championship Band and if it happens you've deserved it and well done but in the meantime enjoy your time in the lower sections.
That's where you will learn the true meaning of banding and meet people you will be friends with forever.
Good luck. I hope you become successful and do realise the dream but be content with what you've got at the moment and enjoy it.

Well said Heather, I couldn't agree more.

:D