PDA

View Full Version : Salvation Army Bandsmen&women Past&present

Bassbones
23.10.2003, 11:23
New thread time,Noticed Peter Bale & one or two other Salvation Army Bandmen doing stirling work on the forums.Just wondered how many SA & ex SA players are TMP'ers?I was the Basstrom at Liverpool Walton & also played with the Liverpool & North wales Divisional youth band.Now at Yorkshire Co-op band. :D

johnflugel
23.10.2003, 11:34
Bassbones

I am guess I am a young SA Bandsman (23) who indulges himself in the deep, dark sordid world that is contesting! I go to Castleford Cit Corps.

John
Rothwell Temps

Maestro
23.10.2003, 11:38
I am ex-SA from Sheringham.
Obviously not there anymore.

Cantonian
23.10.2003, 12:33
Bassbones

I am guess I am a young SA Bandsman (23)

I am a young SA bandsman as well (46)! As the signature says, at Cardiff Canton

Bariman
23.10.2003, 13:00
Bassbones

I am guess I am a young SA Bandsman (23)

I am a young SA bandsman as well (46)! As the signature says, at Cardiff Canton

I'm the same age as Mike so I guess I'm young as well.

I'm at Chelmsford.

Railybobs
23.10.2003, 13:52
I am 23. I used to go to The Tyldesley Corps. But i came out of uniform when it closed. I still go to the army in civvies. Both my wife and i attend the Bolton Citadel corps.

I married an officers' daughter. in total we have been together for 7 yearsnow. all thanx to the army.

Jules Cornet
23.10.2003, 15:24
Well a first post on TMP for me.

I am a lifelong Salvationist bandsman now playing cornet in Peterborough Citadel Band.

Cantonian
23.10.2003, 15:59
Congratulations on your first post. Is this Mr Bright?

Jules Cornet
23.10.2003, 17:36
Yes indeed. Good detective work.

Best Regards

Julian Bright

carlwoodman
23.10.2003, 17:57
About time we heard from you Julian!

Shommusic
23.10.2003, 18:56
Guilty, your honour!! :roll:

Solo Horn, Ilford SA Band.

I would never have guessed you're 46, John!!!!!!!!!! You wear it well!

Morghoven
23.10.2003, 19:24
Ex-SA, guilty as charged! Kidderminster Corps, now with The Staffordshire Band.

Dave

Moy
23.10.2003, 21:01
We have a few in our band who either past SA or still SA.
MD- David James, Solo Cornet - Graeme Park, 1st Horn - Clark Wallace, EEb Bass - Peter Still, BBb Bass - David Catto.
Hope I haven't missed anyone...... :)

timold
23.10.2003, 23:39
I started playing with the Malton Salvation Army Band........left the Army for 15 years (but you NEVER leave!!!) and have now being back in uniform for 14 months and soilder at Scarborough Citadel (and Guisborough). The best thing I could of done was to go back!!

Is there still problems with SA Bandsmen playing with outside bands

I have a number of Salvationist in my band, (Langbarugh brass) they enjoy the contesting so much, but they do get some stick from certain SA bandmasters, I can't understand that, can anyone tell me why? at the end of the day, an outside band and a SA band is two completly different things, but I feel they both help each other.........You can never "POACH" a Army Bandsmen, because they do not go to the SA to simply play, there is something of greater than that............So tell me fellow SA bansmen what is the problem - Always the best for the highest!!!!!

Tim Oldroyd
Scarborough Citadel
MD Langbaurgh Brass

Maestro
24.10.2003, 07:45
Perhaps the reason why some Army bandsmen/women have a problem with playing in contests is because quite a few contests are on a Sunday, and I believe that is their busiest day.

BassTromBeast
24.10.2003, 13:46
Current SA man and Bass Trombone at Peterborough Citadel. Also play in the Anglia Youth Band of the Sally Army.

The main issue with being in both Army and 'outside' bands as I see it is in the priority issue? Something comes up on the same date for both bands then who would you pick?

In my case it would be the Army band because playing my trombone is part of my service and thanksgiving to a God who gave me the ability to play in the first place and being able to share in that service with a group of similar minded men and women is a privilege I wouldn't want to swap for anything.

So apologies for all those Championship sections bands lining me up for next years Championships!!!!! :lol:

Jules Cornet
24.10.2003, 13:53
Good one Bass Trom Beast

NAS
24.10.2003, 14:37
Well... seeing as it is my big brother that started this thread I thought I had better leave a posting too :D I was also a member of the senior band at Liverpool Walton (although only just as I left the corps at 16!). When I was 14 I joined the BT band and no-one at the corps approved at all. When I stood up to play a solo in an SA band practice one or two of the band were heard to say "I wonder how much he is charging for this". I sometimes think that people need to be aware of life outside the Army too(although a lot of them are already aware of this when they go to the pub :shock: ). I love the Army to bits and have a lot to be grateful for...
Since leaving the Army I've played with BT (3 stints), Besses O'Th Barn, Wingates, and have just finished a 2 and a half year spell with the Leyland band... on top of this I have freelanced with bands such as Imps, B&R, Fairey, and Fodens (and sometmes still do). Currently I am directig the Rainford Silver Band who are a 3rd/2nd section band :D (fingers crossed for Pontins everybody :wink: ).

Neil Samuel.

PS Hope I've not offended any Salvationists with the pub comment but... its perfectly true. One Army officer (who was the DYO) asked me why I didn't come back into uniform after attending a few services... my sarcastic reply was "I like a drink" and laughed. They soon wiped the smile off my face by replying "the army wouldn't care about you drinking... its your faith they care for"... not sure William Booth would agree totally with that :?

beard_4b
24.10.2003, 14:53
In my case it would be the Army band because playing my trombone is part of my service and thanksgiving to a God who gave me the ability to play in the first place and being able to share in that service with a group of similar minded men and women is a privilege I wouldn't want to swap for anything.

what a guy, totally agree! :wink:

johnflugel
24.10.2003, 14:58
[quote="NAS"]When I stood up to play a solo in an SA band practice one or two of the band were heard to say "I wonder how much he is charging for this". I sometimes think that people need to be aware of life outside the Army too(although a lot of them are already aware of this when they go to the pub :shock: ). I love the Army to bits and have a lot to be grateful for...
quote]

As a young SA Bandsman, I can sympathise with some of the things Neil has said. I get very frustrated when I hear and experience things like this. However, the type of narrow minded comments you experienced when you stood up to play your solo are not confined to the SA, that sort of silly attitude is alive on all different types of organisations. With regards to your pub comments...no offence taken :) Those comments & actions are representation of the individual, not of the Salvation Army as a whole.

What the officer said is right in a sense, when it comes down to it, it's not their playing ability, drinking habits or uniform wearing that matters, it is the individual.

Good to see your contesting career is alive and well, all the best for Pontins!

John
Rothwell Temps

P.s If anyone wants to follow this up, get in touch :)

Bariman
24.10.2003, 15:30
I would never have guessed you're 46, John!!!!!!!!!! You wear it well!

I try not to think about it!

Bassbones
24.10.2003, 18:22
When I starting contesting & playing with with the corp band the bandmaster at the time.A chap named Gordon Elliot was very supportive of me & my wish to improve as a player I couldn't have wished for a more encouraging mentor.I never had a conflict of interests,missing no comitments with either band & totally enjoyed my time doing both.In my case as my brother Neil I found the problem to be a few individuals who struggled to adjust to the new rule.But all of that said nobodys perfect,& I still attend occasionally as most of my family are still soldiers. See you all at pontins folks :D

fingers
25.10.2003, 00:26
I originally soldiered at Hastings with the rest of the family and was YPBL then went on to do many happy years banding as Solo Horn & Songster secretary and laterly bumper at Worthing SA - did 2 CD's with them and 3 tours. Then a divorce and I parted company with my uniform...but you never truly leave. Its always there and however much I've loved my contesting and playing in many "outside" bands (Oh how I love that expression) I still prefer listening to Army CD's and if i could only get my head off the pillow on a Sunday morning I would probably enjoy going along to meetings.

Now I'm front row at Friary Guildford (Championship Section) and do love my banding and if I'm honest I certainly don't miss the enormous comittment of every Sunday.....3 open airs....I obviously have a lot of time for the Army but is it really the right thing to do to go round the streeets with a band at 10AM on a Sunday morning ??

Looking back as well it could be said that many corps are a bit clicky - run by 2 or 3 big famalies who don't always think about the best interests of the whole corps or the wider community they are serving for God.

God bless William Booth but unless the SA changes there ways in the UK I'm afraid ex SA's is all there will be !

Razor
25.10.2003, 02:01
Ex-SA and until very recently also ex-player!!

Played Bass Trombone in Govan SA (Allan Ramsay) until Dec 2000, at which point due to personal circumstances my playing completely ceased.

My time with Govan included a very successful tour of Canada, one of a number of highlights of playing within the SA. Another was attending the SA UK Territorial Music School for a few years and having the opportunity to play alongside some superb SA players under the direction of Steve Cobb, Richard Phillips and in particular Don Jenkins.

Very recently resumed playing again in a contesting band of which the MD is SA, 4 players are current SA bandsmen and 3(including myself) are Ex SA.

Ray Collins

floral_dance
25.10.2003, 22:31
I am ex SA, was an officer for a few years but left when I met my husband who was not. I played with my local SA band as a teenager and then with the training college band in Denmarkhill as well as corps bands when I was an officer. My home non salvation army band was led by a salvationist for a bid SA family. He did not play with SA band because he conducted town band. He imposed a lot of his beliefs onto the players such as no drinking or smoking at contests and we all obeyed because we had great respect for this guy, I still do.

However, I have discovered that his band over the past few years have dropped from championship section and are now in 2nd section have to work their way from lower sections because the area contes for champ section was changed from Sat to Sunday and he would not conduct or compete on a Sunday and did not allow the band to. While this is his opinions I do not think that the band should have had to pay for it, another conductor could have been brought in to conduct the band. I suppose this is an example of the conflict sometimes faced by players or conductors involved in the SA and "outside bands".

Gosh think this is the longest post I have made, sorry for rambling on and no I do not play in this band any more.

Railybobs
26.10.2003, 08:46
You can never "POACH" a Army Bandsmen, because they do not go to the SA to simply play, there is something of greater than that............So tell me fellow SA bansmen what is the problem - Always the best for the highest!!!!!

I have always said that the atrmy is in your blood and there ain't nothin you can do about it.

It is also worth remembering that the late Roy Castle started in the army.

The Late Eric Ball was army.

Shall I Go on?

sparx
27.10.2003, 16:23
Welcome back Tim Oldroyed! ........ Ted Sparks, Agincourt Temple Band, Toronto Canada

John Brooks
27.10.2003, 21:51
I too am ex-S.A. Many years ago I was at Penge; then emigrated to Canada in 1966 and spent a long time at Brantford. Ended up with a great bunch at Hamilton Temple. Now go to a Baptist Church but never forget my heritage or my friends.

BottyBurp
28.10.2003, 08:22
Me too. I'm ex-SA from Sutton (in Surrey). I was "asked to leave" when I was 16 (I was a bit of a rebel :wink: , but who wasn't?). I'm very grateful to the Army for the musical upbringing I had. I now play for Jaguar where there are quite a few ex-SA players. Still play a lot of SA music with the band, brings back some good memories...

PeterBale
28.10.2003, 09:15
Still catching up on things after a busy weekend! I suppose I am a little unusual in that, although coming from an SA background on my father's side of the family, I personally came into contact and later joined the Army whilst in the forces and sharing a flat with a Salvationist (George Percival, originally from Sheffield Citadel). Also greatly helped in the early days by Kevin Leach (Brighton Congress Hall), who was band librarian in the Coldstream, and went to great lengths to look after salvationists who had joined the band and were often away from home for the first time.

Following on from previous comments, I'm glad that, in most cases, SA attitudes are more enlightened than in the past. There can still be conflict over loyalties when people are involved in various groups - both within the Army and outside - but these can usually be resolved with a little common sense on both sides.

As for the comment about SA bands not "poaching" players, it may not be as blatant but there certainly are instances where players are encouraged to transfer to fill particular positions, either in playing or leadership that can cause resentment both from the corps they choose to leave and from existing personnel who may feel their gifts have not been fully recognised. I know when I was younger that my Gran got very disheartened because she knew that there were bandsmen driving past her corps to sit in another corps' meetings, waiting for a vacancy to occur in their band.

As I've posted previously, banding in the SA is a complex issue, and involves far more than simply playing an instrument. There are often family considerations to take into account, and this may be a factor when someone decides, often quite reluctantly, to move from a small corps to a larger one. There are also instances where people drift into the band more or less because it is expected of them, rather from any prime commitment to banding per se.

I think the opening up of SA music restrictions, both regarding playing in other musical groups and regarding the music side, has been a good thing, and long overdue. May we continue to share our banding experiences and music in the coming days.

Waterboy
25.11.2003, 16:25
I am a salvationist still playing with both SA band and Other band. I must say i only attend a few of the SA practices because of a clash of practice nights. I dont enjoy my SA playing as much now adays and have often felt like leaving the band. I currently play with Yorkshire Imps and enjoy every moment of it. Especially seeing all the Leeds West Hunslet crew at contests. now with dyke are lee skipsey and paul woodward. so its quite nice. even though it costs a lot of money i will never give up contesting now.

Matt Fearn
Yorkshire Imperial
Bolton SA

Chippy_Cornet
26.11.2003, 10:12
I am a Salvationist playing with my Corps band at Sheffield Citadel, I also play with the Salvation Army's Household Troops Band.

Great to see so many people I know in the brass band community on the forum, (probably a few more hiding behind aliases) have been reading tMP for a while but only just got around to registering!!!!!!

Simon Rowney

BobRalston
26.11.2003, 13:14
I am a Salvationist playing with my Corps band at Sheffield Citadel, I also play with the Salvation Army's Household Troops Band.

Great to see so many people I know in the brass band community on the forum, (probably a few more hiding behind aliases) have been reading tMP for a while but only just got around to registering!!!!!!

Simon Rowney

Aliases! Whatever can you mean Chippy? :?

Jonathan W. Corry
26.11.2003, 13:47
I too am a Salvationist and this is my first entry on this website. Currently I'm at the RNCM studying trumpet under John Dickinson and conducting Besses O'th Barn brass band. I enjoy my contest banding and my SA banding too, I get a different kind of warmth playing in an SA band than I do if I'm depping in Black Dyke, something that can't be put into words. They are 2 very different worlds and I would like to see them closer as I believe it will be advantagous to both movements.
For those of you interested have a look at www.fuocobrass.com and await the inaugural recording from this composite band made up of SA bandsmen.
Cheers

BreadOfHeaven
26.11.2003, 13:55
Currently Flugel Horn at Govan SA Band and YP Bandleader. Also play in same contesting band as Razor. Army banding is very special to me and I can't see the day where I would gladly give it up. However we cannot be narrow-minded and I enjoy many things about contesting, not only because it offers up a far wider range of musical expression.

Try to improve, give my best and achieve higher standards in both bands.

Mr Corry you have no shame at all! :lol: Put me down for one btw :D

PeterBale
26.11.2003, 13:57
Good to have you on theMouthPiece, Jonathan. Your recording looks to have a good spread of music, and has already been the subject of some discussion on the forum, particularly over the supposed hijacking of "Golden Slippers" by Brett Baker :wink:

Jonathan W. Corry
26.11.2003, 14:14
Where would I find that discussion on the fuoco CD and Golden Slippers?
It actually works very well with band and the whole CD sounds excellent (even if I may say so myself!!!)
Good to be onboard "bread of heaven"

Keppler
26.11.2003, 14:27
Hey JWC - good to have another Irish person on here! Was sorry to hear of the folding of the 55th OB, but I'm sure you'll be happy to know that the basses and baritones have found a good home.

Welcome and look forward to reading your views

PeterBale
26.11.2003, 14:32

One of our welsh cornet players, user name beard_4b, took exception to this, and it has become a bit of a standing joke. It had started when he put forward "Golden Slippers" as the best cornet solo, but also cropped up in discussions about the best cornet and trombone players. I've just tried to find the first reference, but it was a little time ago now, and was not so much an orderly discussion as a series of one-off remarks.

Tpascoe
26.11.2003, 20:09
I am also a Salvationist in the U.S. Grew up in the SA and learned to play in the army band. There were no non-SA bands in northern Minnesota so my non-SA playing was in the jazz bands and wind ensembles. To bad, I would have enjoyed more brass opportunities. Served as a bandsmen, bandmaster, and am now a corps officer in the Chicago area. Glad to see so many SA players using their talents both in and out of the corps. My grandfather played in the Camborne Town Band in the late forties was not allowed to play at the corps. This always was a sore spot in my family. Glad for the opportunities today and look for even more opportunities for the SA and other groups to share.

muppet
26.11.2003, 23:23
Beat this for Sally Army players...Here at The Travelsphere Holidays Band (Ex GUS & Rigid) our line up around the Open in September who were or still are Sallys was;

Gary Fountain (sop) Kettering Cit and ISB
Matt Baker (Cornet) Enfield
Dave Wilkinson (Cornet) Enfield
Graeme Smith (Cornet) Wellingborough
Karl Hobbs (cornet) Kettering Cit
Kathy Fountain (Cornet) Kettering Cit
Michael Barrat (Flug) Kettering Cit
Paul Baker (Euph) Enfield
Geoff Love (Horn) Kettering Cit
Jon Mott (Bass) Kettering Cit
Graham Patterson (Bass) Enfield
Nigel Love (Trom) Kettering Cit
Clive Wears (Perc) Kettering Cit
Llyod Shipp (Bar) I think he was out in the fens somewhere, perhaps Haverhill

Muppet

markhall
27.11.2003, 09:11
I am also a Salvationist - although a relatively recent one. I have been attending the Army for years now but only this year decided to go into uniform at Maidstone. Banding is awkward because Maidstone band rehearse on the same night as my other band so I have to alternate rehearsels!

BobRalston
27.11.2003, 13:15
I too am a Salvationist and this is my first entry on this website. Currently I'm at the RNCM studying trumpet under John Dickinson and conducting Besses O'th Barn brass band. I enjoy my contest banding and my SA banding too, I get a different kind of warmth playing in an SA band than I do if I'm depping in Black Dyke, something that can't be put into words. They are 2 very different worlds and I would like to see them closer as I believe it will be advantagous to both movements.
For those of you interested have a look at www.fuocobrass.com and await the inaugural recording from this composite band made up of SA bandsmen.
Cheers

Welcome Jonathan (alias MANGO!)

Jonathan W. Corry
27.11.2003, 18:05
Who has told you about that nickname??

Mr Smiler
27.11.2003, 22:46
Interested to see a number of views expressed by SA and ex-SA players. I am a serving Salvationist at Northampton East, formerly Dep. B/M at Kettering Citadel and now I conduct a 2nd Section contesting band. Although I'm not a regular bandsman, I'm usually roped in to play something or other at the corps every Sunday.

What occurs to me is that the Army has suffered (particularly in the larger corps, dare I say) from the band and songsters being the be-all-and-end-all of corps life. The Army is going through a huge sea-change in attitude and approach and it seems to be that Army corps are thriving where the Worship is at the centre of corps life, supported by the sections and not overwhelmed by them.

BobRalston
28.11.2003, 12:39
Who has told you about that nickname??

No one needed to tell me, I have called (and sung) it on many occasions!

Coley
04.12.2003, 14:47
Hi there, SA Percussionist for Bristol Easton Band and recently joined the ISB! Nathan

Jonathan W. Corry
04.12.2003, 14:49
Good to have you on board mate! Have you heard of this fuoco brass??

Bassbones
04.12.2003, 22:10
Hey Coley good to have you on board please say hi to my cousin Nick for me.He plays on the same section as you in the ISB think he's at Enfield now although Railybobs probably knows better than me I tend to lose touch a bit :oops:

Coley
13.12.2003, 12:28
Yes of course I will say hi to Nick for you. Interesting discussing SA players now with contest bands. I think that it is a shame that we have lost many good players from the army ranks. Unfortunatley you not only lose them as band comraides but from personal experience the friendships can also become compromised. I only hope that we can encourage our 'lost' bandsmen to find reward in returning to SA banding, of which despite several comments is alive and well! Friends of mine at Hendon comment on the fantastic future they have at their corps. I would say that Bristol Easton is also alive and well, having recently taken on the YP Band I find it an enormous encouragement to see so many keen young players! (and singers!) I know from personal experience doing both SA and contest banding can be done (if time permits!) All the best, Nathan Cole (Bristol Easton & ISB).

Chief L. Basso De Blower
14.12.2003, 22:35
I'm a past SA (Great Yarmouth Corps) - left at age 14 (I recall a previous post mentioning being a rebel?? :oops: ) ....me too, then..........they didn't like me smoking - they asked to leave!

Since then I have played with many bands in Norfolk (Gt Yarmouth Silver, Wrentham and Drayton Bands) and currently playing Eb Bass for Wem Jubilee Band.

I'm very glad for the experience i gained - taught the basics and given the opportunity to get better.

The thing I miss about the band was the annual prayer week at Butlins Holday Camp at Bognor Regis! A 200-strong band playing together every night (rehearsals during the day). 20 Eb basses, with 9 Bb! :) 30 solo cornets :D WOW :D :D :D

I haven't experienced anything like it since - what a wonderful massed band!

Waterboy
26.12.2003, 21:55
Just thought it be nice if we could make a long list of ex salvationist and current salvationists playing with a contesting band. At least then we can see how much of an impact the army has made on the contesting scene. so if you have any of these people in your band please list them.

Yorkshire Imps

Me Principal 3rd Cornet
Jeremy Belton Solo Baritone
Nick Hudson Solo Trom
Stuart Peacock Percussionist

i do know of others

Black Dyke

Ben Rapp (Rep)
Paul Woodward 2nd Trom
Lee Skipsey Percussion

Yorkshire Coop

Daz Samuel
Austin *****

and sure there are many more,

lets see how long we can make our list

Matt Fearn
Yorkshire Imps
Bolton Cit

NAS
27.12.2003, 00:12
MATT!!!! You missed me :shock: . He he... At Faireys theres only me and Brian Taylor as far as I know. Theres also my infamous cousin at Dyke... Paul Lovatt Cooper.

Brian Kelly
27.12.2003, 15:16
MATTHEW!!! You forgot about me as well! :cry:

As far as I know, there is no-one else at Flixton with SA connections.

Best wishes for 2004.

lynchie
28.12.2003, 00:38
As far as I know, there is no-one else at Flixton with SA connections.

Although, if anyone wants to change that I'm sure we'd be more than happy!!

JamesResurgam
28.12.2003, 11:11
Iím ex-SA (Skewen Corps) and had to leave aged ten because I was a member of the NYBBGB (I believed this was educational). I must state that I had my own teacher from the very beginning aged five, a gentleman called Haydn Morgan who was an ex-member of the Cory Band. I became a reasonable player, and eventually principal cornet with the NYBBGB, earning my living as a trumpet player. I conducted a few good bands, was privileged to help a number of players, and wouldnít change a second of a very privileged life.
Memories from my SA existence; getting into trouble fighting with Peter Wise in Sunday School; my Dadís trombone playing (he was the solo trombone); and Sunday Evening Services years later as a visitor with my parents and my own family, being asked what I thought of the band and having to lie through my teeth having just left the hall. Happy Memories!!

DJ

stevetrom
28.12.2003, 14:41
Another ex-SA member here. MNy parents were officers so the corps i went to were :-

Selby, Stratford-upon-Avon, Droitwich, Nuneaton, Gt Yarmouth, Rugby, Banbury and Cambridge.

I have been playing with Brackley for 10 years now and we have another ex-SA conductor - Jason Glynn.

I'm sure i saw a post from someone at Ilford - you must know my auntie Margaret (Brangwyn) then ?

Stu-ton
28.12.2003, 21:01
I am in Salvationist, play solo cornet in Port Glasgow band (20). Also looking for other band to play in ie contest.

Aussie Tuba
29.12.2003, 09:17
Hi
I am currently playing with Bundamba Citadel Band near brisbane in Australia , I started SA playing at Birmingham Sparkhill in the Yong Peoples Band in 1972 and then Senior Band in 76 . I also played at Redditch and the Birmingham Divisional Youth Band and at the National School of music at Cobham hall in 84 and 85 , Movesd to Aus in 86 where I have played Army and non Army

Any others out there been at any of the above , would be good to catch up

Shommusic
30.12.2003, 00:13
I'm sure i saw a post from someone at Ilford - you must know my auntie Margaret (Brangwyn) then ?

I know her very well, in fact I'm married to her daughter!!!! :lol:

Hi Steve! Love to the family, etc!

David & Claire (& bump!) xx

Railybobs
30.12.2003, 07:29
Hey Coley good to have you on board please say hi to my cousin Nick for me.He plays on the same section as you in the ISB think he's at Enfield now although Railybobs probably knows better than me I tend to lose touch a bit :oops:

Nick Samuel is at Enfield Cit and i have heard he does some conducting for contesting bands too.

johnflugel
30.12.2003, 10:05
To make a list of SA/Contesting players would be quite a feat - I would suggest most of the Championship bands I know have ex SA players amongst them, not to mention the lower sections. A great example is Travelsphere - I would take a bold guess that 75% of them are ex SA players.

When I did some conducting work with a 'lesser-known' championship band recently, I got chatting to one of the players who said 'I used to play in the Sally Army you know' ....we are all over the place! :shock:

John
Flugel - Rothwell Temps

NAS
30.12.2003, 14:53
He he... reading this thread ive been thinking how funny it would be to try and get all the TMP users (that have Salvation Army links) together for a concert. Would be a giggle... could always have a few cokes after :roll: :wink: :oops: .

Razor
30.12.2003, 17:48
In the contesting band I currently play with we have the following players that are either current or former SA players -

Soprano
2 Solo Cornets
Flugel Horn
1st Trombone
Bass Trombone
Eb Bass
1 Percussion

The MD is also a Salvationist.

Sonor
08.01.2004, 18:58
Guilty Too I'm affraid!!!!!!

I think that all those that have put postings on this thread have a lot to thank the Army for. I know I do.

I started at to learn the cornet at the Northampton Central Corps but when the family moved to Bedford I was handed a drum by Bandmaster Richard Robinson as there were no other instruments and the rest is history.

After growing up at Bedford and joining the Senior Band there as well as playing in the East Midlands Youth Band I moved to Wellingborough but left the Army at the age of 23. Since then I've gone on to play with Desford, Dyke, Cory, Travelsphere and most recently Leyland along with a host of other Bands as a dep............ and all because of the Army.

And I will be forever grateful for that. :lol:

redheadn
15.04.2004, 21:47
I am an SA bandswoman at the Sale Corps and a member of the ISB

Bariman
16.04.2004, 13:33
The thing I miss about the band was the annual prayer week at Butlins Holday Camp at Bognor Regis! A 200-strong band playing together every night (rehearsals during the day). 20 Eb basses, with 9 Bb! :) 30 solo cornets :D WOW :D :D :D

I haven't experienced anything like it since - what a wonderful massed band!

The SA is back at Bognor again this year at the beginning of September. Why not go along :?: :D

craigster
16.04.2004, 23:15
Just found this thread and have found it very interesting to see some of the names (legends and otherwise).

Not a lot of non-SA brass band playing opportunities here in Canada, but Intrada Brass (of which I have played and recorded with off and on since its inception) was formed by Bram Gregson with about 95% SA players. That is now down to less than 50% active SA, but still a strong connection. Intrada appealed to alot of us SA bandsmen over here because it gave us a shot to play non-SA repertoire.

The one professional (yes, they get paid union wages) band in Toronto - Hannaford Street Silver Band - has roughly five or six former staff bandsmen in its ranks.

Every once in a while we dream about putting together a pick up band of active SA players in the Toronto area to take a run at the North American championships.

Craig Lewis
Principal Trom - Canadian Staff Band, Mississauga Temple Band

Razor
16.04.2004, 23:55
Every once in a while we dream about putting together a pick up band of active SA players in the Toronto area to take a run at the North American championships.

Craig Lewis
Principal Trom - Canadian Staff Band, Mississauga Temple Band

And why not Craig?

You have some cracking SA players in that part of the world as evidenced by the CSB Alumni, Intrada Brass and Hannaford SA personnel, corps bands at Mississagua, London etc.......

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Go for it!!!!

MrMustard
18.04.2004, 00:58
Small world!
The conductor of my school band was a guy called Barry Cheshire - an ex Salvationist. Anyone remember him, a great trombone player?
Some years later I married a girl who had been in the Manchester Star Hall band in the sixties. I never been in myself but I would recommend the book of 8 cornet solos -album 29,published by Salvationist Publishing,some good stuff in there.

beard_4b
20.04.2004, 11:45

One of our welsh cornet players, user name beard_4b, took exception to this, and it has become a bit of a standing joke. It had started when he put forward "Golden Slippers" as the best cornet solo, but also cropped up in discussions about the best cornet and trombone players. I've just tried to find the first reference, but it was a little time ago now, and was not so much an orderly discussion as a series of one-off remarks.

ha ha :lol:

anothergorgieboy
21.04.2004, 12:57
I am a Salvationist and a member of our corps band at Edinburgh Gorgie. A few of the people who play in the band have played in or are currently playing in non SA bands.

AJR
22.04.2004, 00:07
Thought it was about time I joined this!

A former Salvationist (but watch this space!) and Bandmaster of Govan Citadel Band, I also played with CWS Glasgow, and conducted the Kirkintilloch Band, and now the Unison Kinneil Band.

Interestingly enough, of the CWS Glasgow Band who won the 1990 Nationals (English Heritage!) 5 of the principal players were existing or ex-Salvationist bandsmen

Principal Cornet - Myself
" Horn - Ron Wotherspoon
" Trombone Brian Deans
" Eb Bass Willie Young
Flugel Craig Anderson

Great times, but I still say you can't beat SA Banding.....but only when it's done right!

barry toan
22.04.2004, 17:04
A former Salvationist (but watch this space!)

So the rumours that we're hearing about you may be correct?..... IE moving a little bit more southernly!!!????...... :lol:

AJR
22.04.2004, 17:53
IE moving a little bit more southernly!!!????......

Well I've moved house to Hamilton and have been attending the corps there, which is on the road, south from Glasgow!

Sent you a PM

littlemisshorns
23.04.2004, 13:39
I am a Salvationist (part-time at the moment) in Aberdeen, and I'm hoping to move towards civilisation at the summer to hopefully play in anothergorgieboy's band if he'll let me.

timjones
23.04.2004, 19:28
If Mike (Cantonian) and John (Bariman) are "young bandsmen" then I am still on the cradle roll...

Rootus Maximus
25.04.2004, 02:23
Glad to hear that you may be making the move to edinburgh littlemisshorns. I moved over this year from Ireland and its been magic!!

It was really important for me to find an army band quickly when I moved - luckily gorgie has made me feel really at home.

Bariman
27.04.2004, 23:21
If Mike (Cantonian) and John (Bariman) are "young bandsmen" then I am still on the cradle roll...

Just watch what you're saying - it's a long walk back from Cardiff :D

Gorgie boy
27.04.2004, 23:47
I am a Salvationist (part-time at the moment) in Aberdeen, and I'm hoping to move towards civilisation at the summer to hopefully play in anothergorgieboy's band if he'll let me.

Hey :!: :!: :!: I've just twigged who you are !!!

Great to hear you might be moving down. We're in real need of someone to carry the flag....................

Paul Drury

Cantonian
28.04.2004, 13:27

Just watch what you're saying - it's a long walk back from Cardiff :D

No, please don't leave him with us!! Only joking Tim :wink:

timjones
28.04.2004, 22:40
Hmm... Walk back to London or stay in the Land of My Fathers (family, probably... we are called Jones remember)? No choice really!
Looking forward to being back to my banding home, even if it is on 2nd Baritone :?

cujo_134
08.01.2005, 04:46
Bandsman for 2 years, Peterborough Temple, Canada, - 2nd Baritone - Age 16

BigMal
08.01.2005, 13:42
Ex Sa Bandsman from the then South Shields Citadel Corps (29years ago) now with Murton Colliery

Red Elvis
09.01.2005, 01:19
Its an old thread this - I may have posted already , but am happy to do so again.
Ex SA me ( Officer Candidate at one point ). YPBL and Dep SL at Colchester Citadel , Euph and Trombone. Left as a result of my own actions but always grateful for the background , still an avid collector of SA recordings and attending Regent Hall in civvies when work allows - other posters are right - you never really leave!!
Now 1st Baritone for Becontree Brass. Not done a year yet of "outside" (what a horrible term!!) banding - very enjoyable but different type of music entirely to the army.Would really love to see the SA as a force again in this country but am concerned about its decline and an apparent lurch towards pentecostalism / charismatic theology and attendant politics.

kiwiposaune
02.02.2005, 02:21
I was an SA bandsman and bandmaster (Canada and the US) for almost 20 years. My demise came when I had the temerity to move the flugel player (of about 40 years) to the back row of the cornet section. Funny, I'd never noticed that his car number plate was Flugel 1. I didn't mind taking a bit of **** over it but when my wife started to cop it in the Songster room I decided that maybe it was time to move on. We still attend the Army as often as my orchestra job allows (Wellington City in NZ) but all of my banding is done outside the Army.

David Chaulk
MD
Pelorus Trust Wellington Brass (NZ)

John Brooks
02.02.2005, 03:22
Funny, I'd never noticed that his car number plate was Flugel 1.

And still is. It's sad how these things can happen; that same flugel player was responsible for my return to the SA after a few years away. That was in 1985.

No doubt you both lost something over that situation. Unfortunately I had moved to Cambridge just before you arrived and missed the opportunity of playing under you. Too bad that!

As an aside, I really like your "Variations on Wellington City"; that's a piece that should be heard more. I also have your recording of euphonium solo's called "Variants" - excellent.

Glad you're enjoying NZ.

skippy
15.11.2005, 14:32
thought i would say hello too, started at the rink, went to the training college with my mum and dad, went to loads of corps before ending up at Leeds West Hunslet. sat principal cornet at the west yorkshire music school , One the top player award playing percussion at the northern music school, played for the ISS the 3 Sops and a hole load of army bands. Been a dep bandmaster, YP bandleader and a full time youth worker. LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. Found some of the rules hard to stick to so left, now play for Black Dyke. Lee Skipsey.

vonny
15.11.2005, 14:46
I played in the YP band when i was younger at Rochdale Citadal:biggrin:. My sister and her hubby still attend the SA in Oldham :)

David Mann
15.11.2005, 22:40
I was brought up and taught to play at Hollinwood (Manchester Division), Later played for William Davis. We used to call ourselves William Davis Citadel sometimes as we had 10+ ex-SA players and Keith Wilkinson conducting. It was strange to play Pressing Onward and The Kingdom Triumphant at Leicester Castle. I started to go back to church this year and play bass guitar in a praise group. We have a rota so we typically have 4-5 musicians and 40-50 congregation, which is a good ratio. I remember sometimes being in a meeting with 20 in the band and 30 in the congregation. I suppose it taught them how to sing loudly!

jingleram
15.11.2005, 23:31
Wahay good thread! Am SA myself, play 1st baritone in the senior band at Croydon Citadel, and euphonium in the yp band! To skippy, when did you last go to west yorkshire music school? I have been going there for 4 years now and love it there! Had a brilliant audition this year and did well in the week where i was placed in the band!

1st cornet superstar!
20.11.2005, 21:39
I started off at Milton Keynes Central corps, stayed there till I was 17, and have since transferred to Dunstable corps. although I'm more of a part timer now,due to bf being at uni in london and me goin to see him, but his mum's an army officer and is getting more persuasive at wanting me to be a *good influence* and make him go to meetings!lol I've played in the Milton Keynes bands and central south division band and youth chorus. (although haven't been to the band in a while due to transport):D

Chris Hicks
20.11.2005, 21:55
I was at Hadleigh till about 4 years ago then transfered to enfield and now live in the bristol area but playing in a non SA band
now

MartinBen
21.11.2005, 21:27
Well I learned to play at Cowes Corp on the Isle of Wight many years ago before moving up to Twickenham where I played Euph. under Mark Bearcroft (Norman's son) before he went into training to become an officer. Had some great times and laughs as Mark would often bring some manuscript scribbles along to practice for us to have a blow at to see how it sounded.

Left Twickenham after Mark went into training and then moved to Northampton and guess who got appointed as the officer? None other than Mark ! :p

He and his wife, Tracey have now gone 'down under' so I'm playing in a local band instead.

flower girl
22.11.2005, 19:43
i'm in the Mirfield Salvation Army

RonBarnes
22.11.2005, 22:58
I learned to play trombone in Rugby YP band as soon as I could lift the instrument (dad was a bass trombone player!)
Spent some time after National Service at Hendon, Luton and Kirkwall (where??) and am now still playing bass trom at Epsom & Ewell, and approaching 70 too quickly.
Ron Barnes

stevetrom
23.11.2005, 09:21
I learned to play trombone in Rugby YP band as soon as I could lift the instrument (dad was a bass trombone player!)
Spent some time after National Service at Hendon, Luton and Kirkwall (where??) and am now still playing bass trom at Epsom & Ewell, and approaching 70 too quickly.
Ron Barnes

I spent some time in Rugby YP Band (a little while after yourself I think - late '70s), do you remember Eddie Dytham?

He was BM when I was there and I got the impression he had been ther forever!

stevetrom
23.11.2005, 09:22
Kirkwall (where??)

Orkney ?

sharpnote
23.11.2005, 11:39
I started in Bangor SA, N. Ireland, playing i the YP band then my family moved to Sydenham Corp near Belfast. I left at 15 and joined Laganvale Band who are current NI champions and since moving to England 3 years ago I've played with Desford, Black Dyke, Ransomes, Thoresby and I am now principal euph for Carlton Main Frickley. I've also freelanced for some top British bands and also with the Ulster Orchestra.

My mum goes to Gainsborough Corps where my grandfather Terry Young was bandmaster for 25 years and before his death a few years ago, he was solo horn with Foss Dyke and also lead the youth band. While he was bandmaster his 4 sons, including my dad, were all in the band, 3 of which still attend.

I will always believe that if I hadn't started my playing career with the SA then I wouldn't be where I am today, and I don't think I'd drink as much! lol

Paul Gorman
23.11.2005, 15:49
I started playing in the Grimsby Citadel Salvation Band in 1968 and moved a few years leter to the nearby Victoria Corps. I then had a long break from the Army and played for 17 years in the Humberside Police Band before I retired from the service in 2002. Shortly after that I returned to the Army as a cornet player in the Staines Salvation Army Band. A wonderful band and corps that has given me so much. At present, however, I am working in the Kingdom of Bahrain but thanks to the kindness of Bandmaster Alan Martin, I am always welcomed back to the Corps and Band when on leave.

Kind regards,

Paul Gorman

stephan
17.02.2006, 16:28
i was bandsman in the zutphen band in the Netherlands from 1984 till 1992 my father (dolf ) en my ungle (Ben) where both principal cornet players in the Amsterdam staff bansd during the '60 and 70.

PeterBale
17.02.2006, 17:24
i was bandsman in the zutphen band in the Netherlands from 1984 till 1992 my father (dolf ) en my ungle (Ben) where both principal cornet players in the Amsterdam staff bansd during the '60 and 70.

Hi Stephan,

Good to have you on board! We visited Holland at Easter 2003 and had a great time. We also had the Amsterdam Staff Songsters over to Hadleigh last October.

We'll look forward to hearing more from you, and why don't you put a post in the "Introduce Yourself" section to tell us more about yourself?

:hi

Communicator
18.02.2006, 09:47
Hello all,

I'm an ex-Salvation Army bandsman myself. Started playing at the age of 7 (as I think most do) With Doncaster Citadel YP Band. Started on cornet then after a while went on to horn. Went in to the senior band and quickly moved along the horn row. Became YP band Sergeant and at the same time covered the Eb bass part with the YP hand Solo Horn with the Senior band. Eventually moved on to Eb bass with the senior band also. Also played with South Yorkshire divisional youth band and went to the S/Yorks music school for a number of years.

Only stopped playing after a disagreement in the senior band.

Hadn't played for about 15 years then joined South Yorkshire Police Band this January. Now on 2nd Baritone with them and loving it.

Agree with a lot of the previous comments about the army being in your blood. Or is that it's in your soul?

Having now experienced both sides of 'the fence' I can see a lot of similarities. The fun and games when not playing ( and sometimes while playing ) for one.

Best wishes to all.

stephan
24.02.2006, 21:11
Hi Stephan,

Good to have you on board! We visited Holland at Easter 2003 and had a great time. We also had the Amsterdam Staff Songsters over to Hadleigh last October.

We'll look forward to hearing more from you, and why don't you put a post in the "Introduce Yourself" section to tell us more about yourself?

:hithanks Peter for your warm welcome :)

ekimmort
24.02.2006, 22:44
Started to play with Hull East YP Band under YP Bandleaders Eddie Lee, moved to trombone by YP Band Leader Keith Darlington (what a player he was)Moved into Senior Band under BM Sam Goldspink. after a few enjoyable years left the Army in 1967 because I found I was going for the wrong reasons. After a while away from bands started to play again in 1988 and have had great enjoyment ever since. Still play with two ex members of both YP and Senior Bands. Now go to church for the right reasons.:oops:

johnflugel
18.03.2006, 11:56
anymore?

pegleg
18.03.2006, 13:03
I had to check back through the thread and discovered that I haven't yet responded.:redface:
I played in Woodstock for 11 years, then London Citadel Band for about 20 years (mainly on EEb Bass) and attended Westminster Park in London for about 4 years, at which time I was the Bandmaster. Have now played in the Ontario Great Lakes Seniors Band for the past 3 years; Trombone (2 years), Euphonium (6 months) and now Baritone.
Who knows, I might even make it back to Soprano (which I played for the first 11 years).

Charmed
18.03.2006, 13:05
I had to check back through the thread and discovered that I haven't yet responded.:redface:

If there is a tick at the side of the thread, then you have posted. Easier than looking right through. ;)

brasscrest
18.03.2006, 13:21
If there is a tick at the side of the thread, then you have posted. Easier than looking right through. ;)
Actually, if there is a tick at the side of the thread title, you have subscribed to the thread. Depending on your settings, you might be automatically subscribed to every thread you post in (that's what I do, and apparently Charmed does too). But someone with a different setting might not see the tick mark on every thread they've ever replied on, and it is possible to subscribe to a thread without posting in it.

You can also see all of your subscribed threads in the User CP.

JollySalvo
01.09.2008, 16:34
I too am guilty of being an "ex" Sally bandsman. I started off on Eb Bass at Oakengates back in '97 then went BBb in '99 and remained in that seat till I left in 2001. I had 5 years away from the Army but during this time I had moved to Wolverhampton and played with City of Wolverhampton for around 2 years or so in 2004-2006. From here i started back in the Army at Willenhall as a civvy moving from Willenhall to Birmingham Citadel, then to Bromsgrove finally settling in Redditch and meeting my current Officer who some of you may know from his many years in contesting bands and during his time at Sheffield Citadel. I'm happy to announce that Major Steve Whittingham enrolled me as an adherent back in december and is allowing me to play my BBb bass in our corps band.

bbg
01.09.2008, 20:28
Hadn't come accross this thread until now as the last post before JollySalvo's above predates my tMP days. As listed in my "playing experience" bit, started off at Kirkcaldy Sinclairtown, YP Band to Senior Band progression, before moving to Falkirk when we married in 1982. Was deputy BM there when a job move took us to live in Dumfries. Sadly, the welcome at the small corps there was some way short of warm, so we headed down to Carlisle Citadel one Sunday. Carlisle band had visited Falkirk a couple of years previously, we received a lovely welcome and thus started on our five year period of regular 70 mile round trips, not only on Sundays but midweek as well for band/songster rehearsals. The folks could not have been nicer, welcoming us (with a baby son to start with, a 5 year old and 2 year old by the time we left) and providing Sunday lunch on a rota basis. The travelling, along with some health issues which curtailed my driving for a time, led us to make a clean break in 1990 rather than get into a situation of erratic attendances - we left on very amicable terms and I am still delighted that I remain on the Citadel band's mailing list.
We settled into a Church of Scotland congregation in Dumfries, continued when moving on again to Langholm and now after 14 years in Perth I am a church elder in a large city centre congregation - as i type, my wife is at a choral rehearsal in the church, using her Army-acquired accompanist skills.
Would agree that you never really "leave" the Army deep down - both sets of parents are still active, my sister is a serving CO in Yorkshire. Will always treasure the influence that so many folks had on me throughout my Army service, and will always remember some of the special moments at local and national level, from "everyday" meetings to the likes of two Cobham Hall attendances......."The Call of the Righteous", Don Jenkins Band 1983, never to be forgotten.

Aussie Tuba
01.09.2008, 21:06
I havn't been on this thread yet, or at least I don't think I have. I was in Birmingham Spark hill from a junior and moved to Redditch in 79 and back to Sparkhill in 83
I was in the Don Jenkins Band at Cobham in 84 we played Laudate Dominum by Gregson, And the "A" Band in 85 where we played Romans 8 a Brass Celebration by Ray Steadman Allen

SAEEbAusBoy
02.09.2008, 06:50
Romans 8 is pretty intense. We played it a while ago.

But yes, I too am a Salvationist, but since international travel isn't my thing I can't say I've competed in England. Nor have I been to England. Or out of Australia. But I felt like posting, who's going to stop me? :D

Also, is there a way to stop automatically subscribing to a thread when you post? My e-mail inbox is filling up fast :(

Gorgie boy
02.09.2008, 15:37
I havn't been on this thread yet, or at least I don't think I have. I was in Birmingham Spark hill from a junior and moved to Redditch in 79 and back to Sparkhill in 83
I was in the Don Jenkins Band at Cobham in 84 we played Laudate Dominum by Gregson, And the "A" Band in 85 where we played Romans 8 a Brass Celebration by Ray Steadman Allen

small world. I sat next to you in Don Jenkins' band in '84 playing Eb. As for me, a soldier at Edinburgh Gorgie where I have soldiered since moving to Edinburgh in October 1984. Prior to this I was a bandsman at Dundee Central (my home corps).

Still a uniformed soldier but not a bandsman at present due to the fact that one of the bands I am involved in rehearse on the SA band night. It upsets me but hopefully I will be back playing sometime soon in the SA Band. Currently MD at Lochgelly Band and Resident Conductor at Kirkintilloch Band.

Aussie Tuba
02.09.2008, 20:26
small world. I sat next to you in Don Jenkins' band in '84 playing Eb. As for me, a soldier at Edinburgh Gorgie where I have soldiered since moving to Edinburgh in October 1984. Prior to this I was a bandsman at Dundee Central (my home corps).

Still a uniformed soldier but not a bandsman at present due to the fact that one of the bands I am involved in rehearse on the SA band night. It upsets me but hopefully I will be back playing sometime soon in the SA Band. Currently MD at Lochgelly Band and Resident Conductor at Kirkintilloch Band.

Good to hear From you, yes It is a Small world, I have Been in Aus for 22 Years and have done some Outside Banding . I Played with Geelong West and played some contest's with them. before Moving up to Queensland.
But I remember The Playing in Don's Band in 84 as some of the Best In My Past, It would be good to hear from more of the players from The Band if they are on this site.

no2taz
02.09.2008, 21:49
I was at Hadleigh till about 4 years ago then transfered to enfield and now live in the bristol area but playing in a non SA band
now

Alreit Chris I remember you saying where you used to play but could not remember.... Im ex Cardiff Grangetown player. Still play on ocasions as part of the now felowship band that my father is Band master of. Like many i tribute my playing in contesting bands today to my SA brass band grounding....

PeterBale
02.09.2008, 23:47
But I remember The Playing in Don's Band in 84 as some of the Best In My Past, It would be good to hear from more of the players from The Band if they are on this site.

You may be interested to hear that Don's still going strong, both playing and conducting. A couple of years back he put a trombone ensemble together for an evening at Regent Hall and he's also appeared as soloist for us at Hadleigh. He conducted our band at Colchester on Good Friday two years ago when our BM was away and it was a joy to play under him. (even if he kept telling me I was too loud :mad:;):oops:)

Aussie Tuba
02.09.2008, 23:52
You may be interested to hear that Don's still going strong, both playing and conducting. A couple of years back he put a trombone ensemble together for an evening at Regent Hall and he's also appeared as soloist for us at Hadleigh. He conducted our band at Colchester on Good Friday two years ago when our BM was away and it was a joy to play under him. (even if he kept telling me I was too loud :mad:;):oops:)

I only played under him for the week, But have the uttmost respect for him as a conductor and player
as I said was one of the best weeks playing of my life

bbg
03.09.2008, 14:48
My week in the '83 Don Jenkins band was great - I recall him as a down-to-earth gentleman, no "big and bright citadel" attitude even though Easton were a major Army "name" band, in fact he was particularly encouraging to those in his band who were from "smaller" corps bands.
He produced a set of woven Army crest "blazer badges" at the end of the week as mementoes, apparently made for him by an easton friend. He was also very keen to have the band reunited for a weekend at Easton later in the same year - for various logistical / administrative reasons that never happened, but was it not from a later National School of Music reunion of this type that the Household Troops band was re-formed?
My previous visit to Cobham Hall had my name read out as being allocated to two bands - off I headed to the first of these, under James Williams, only to be "sent for" half an hour later as Don Manning was short of a "Scottish chap who was supposed to be on solo horn"! Fantastic memories all round , great instruction from dedicated and talented people.

daveredhead
03.09.2008, 20:32
I am proud to join the above band of salvationists, I started In Halifax Citidal, and started on tenor horn, which i could never get a note out of, I moved on and progressed to Sop, but i am thankful for the basic ground work started by "The Army"

Gorgie boy
04.09.2008, 00:08
I only played under him for the week, But have the uttmost respect for him as a conductor and player
as I said was one of the best weeks playing of my life

As far as I remember, some of the band that week included Mark Saywer, now TYS I believe, Phil Wall, before he stopped being into bands, Major Graeme Wood (then of Hanwell), Andrea Miller (nee Wears) at Kettering, who is a Facebook friend now, Andrew Holden on Bass Trombone, ex of Chelmsford and Norwich, Nigel Love on tormbone (ex of Kettering SA and Rigid Containers/GUS) and a host of others I can't remember! Happy days................

T Winch
04.09.2008, 09:00
It's about time I added myself to this list. I started playing cornet in Sherburn Hill YP Band in Co. Durham before moving to Sunderland Millfield then on to Norwich Citadel. I also spent a short time at Regent Hall although not in the band. I often wonder where I would be playing now if I had taken advantage of all the playing opportunities the Army presented.

Rodney
05.09.2008, 00:38
It's about time I added my name to this list too.

Grew up in a SA family and went to Bristol Citadel as a boy - then we moved to Gosport. When I came to Oz, I joined Camberwell Citadel, had a falling out with the bandmaster and stayed away for 25 years. Have now joined an 'outside' band (Hmm, why do we call them that???) and love it.

Hooroo

kjm
05.09.2008, 13:10
Life long member of Leigh on Sea SA, play Euph in both the corps band and Becontree Brass (LSC).

chill
05.09.2008, 17:01
Attended Maidenhead SA until my early 20's. In early 40's now, but still go from time to time in order to support my wife and kids. 2 of my 3 children play in the YP band.

Always played Bb cornet until 4 months ago when I switched to Sop.
Trouble with learning in the SA is that I can play a slow melody solo until the cows come home. Can I play jazz / swing style... not a flaming chance... I think I am brain washed by all of those hymn tunes :-) - lol

half sharp
08.09.2008, 10:20
What occurs to me is that the Army has suffered (particularly in the larger corps, dare I say) from the band and songsters being the be-all-and-end-all of corps life. The Army is going through a huge sea-change in attitude and approach and it seems to be that Army corps are thriving where the Worship is at the centre of corps life, supported by the sections and not overwhelmed by them.[/quote]

You are oh so right Mr Smiler, I wish other SA musicians were so enlightened. From Worship comes service. Service before Worship is Idolatry.

Tubby
10.09.2008, 12:34
My name is Marcus this is my banding history

aged 7 my granddad Joe Smith ( R I P ) bandmaster of Stockport Heaton Norris taught me to play Baritone and had me in the YP band with 3 weeks of lessons.

I remained there until the aged of 11 where I moved with my parents to Stockport Citadel.

Aged 15 I joined the senior band on BBb after my first music school.

In 1997 I moved to Sheringham Norfolk where I played in the band and also started to get into the contesting scene. I played for Kings Lynn town band and also Matthews Norfolk brass.

In 2000 I moved to Norwich Citadel but didn't play in the band until 2004 after a time out of uniform and away from the Army.

I started again in 2004 on BBb and then in 2007 I was moved onto EEb where I have been for the last 18 months.

My next move well who knows but I have aspirations of either the ISB or the Household Troops, if a position became available.

Sorry it's long winded but there you go.

half sharp
10.09.2008, 15:05
Dear MR Smiler. Having returned to uniform after many years I have been attempting to quantify the changes that have occurred during that time. Your 2nd paragraph crystalises my thoughts entirely. In my younger days it appeared to me that practically everyone was in uniform. Nobody who was not in uniform ever spoke from the platform or had any input with Worship or Corps life whatsoever. These days, thankfully, that has now changed, with non uniformed people involved in all aspects of Corps Worship. Unfortunately some of my brothers and sisters especially in the band/songsters do not seem to have moved on and seem to view the SA purely as their own Church. As a consequence one of the reasons amongst others that I have not become a commisioned bandsman was knowing the contempt in which I would have been held by non uniformed people within the Corps. I appreciate that there are faults on either side but as a friend of mine is constantly reminding me we need to change or die.

Many thanks for your insight.

Mike Farrow.

steve sizeland
10.09.2008, 16:51
Also guilty - Ex Chalk Farm (under Michael Clack), now at Brackley (Northants)
Steve Sizeland

trumpetbabe
15.08.2009, 17:45
New thread time,Noticed Peter Bale & one or two other Salvation Army Bandmen doing stirling work on the forums.Just wondered how many SA & ex SA players are TMP'ers?I was the Basstrom at Liverpool Walton & also played with the Liverpool & North wales Divisional youth band.Now at Yorkshire Co-op band. :D

Hi all, I have just discovererd this site, hence the lateness of my message....:oops: I am also ex SA; I used to attend Luton Citadel, & was a member of both the songsters & band. In fact, I think was one of the 1st female band member in the N. London area back in the late '70's! How times have changed! I have ploughed my way through some of the threads; what an interesting thread! :tup
I gave up playing in 'outside' bands when I became an SA band memebr (I think it was enough that I was female at that time!!). I am sooo glad that the SA has changed it's viewpoint on other bands. It's also great to see SA music 'out there'. If any of you think you may remember me, I would love to hear from you! Oh, you can chech out one of teh bands I now play in; www.minnesotastate (http://www.minnesotastate) band.org..........enjoy!

MrsDoyle
15.08.2009, 18:29
I am current SA, of the Coedpoeth Corps in the North-Western Division. I play Solo Horn for their band.

jrshimmon
16.08.2009, 18:20
I've checked the whole of this thread and I can't believe I have not declared my Red Yellow and Blue blood.

I recognise the names on several name on this tread and even a couple are friends from facebook. Hi Guys!

still learnin
16.08.2009, 22:18
Another ex SA player here. Left 40 years ago but still enjoy listening to SA music, also grateful for the start I got in banding when I was 7 but never really got into the spiritual side of things. Played in several bands since leaving and enjoy contesting and playing challenging music, including SA Cornet Solos. Surprised that nobody mentioned "Tucker" in the recent thread re difficult solos.

Hman1
17.08.2009, 16:32
Hi Mark, I didn't realise that was the case, I thought you'd left Maidstone. Why don't you give BAE Systems in Rochester a try instead ? - they rehearse on Monday evenings.

Martin
17.08.2009, 20:51
I started life in the SA at Barnstaple (N. Devon) and learned to play the cornet. I worked my way up through the YP band and into the senior band. Tommy Saunders was our principal at the time. The Bandmaster was Maurice Denny (now sadly passed on) and he was succeeded by Derek Hould. My father, Gordon, was the YP band Leader for many years. My aunty (Rosemary Sheppard) was an officer and was corps CO at places such as Buckingham, Southall, Southampton (can't remember which corps), Swansea, as well as being DYS for South Wales Division at one point.

People that I grew up alongside include:

Andrew Hould (Bb Bass) I believe he is still living in Staines and has remained a practising salvationist.
Chris Hould (Tenor Horn) now a military musician (although I'm not sure where he is currently serving).
Kevin Hould (Cornet) not sure where he has settled.
Andrew (my brother) (Trombone) no longer in SA, but still living in Barnstaple.
Teresa Harris (Euphonium) now the corps officer at Winchester.

Already mentioned in an earlier post were the Holiday Plus Fellowship weeks at Butlin's Bogner Regis. These were a highlight to me. Coming from a relatively small corps, to play in a band that size was a real treat.

My practising SA days sort of faded away after I joined the RAF Police in 1978. Although, I still follow what's going on in SA music.

trumpetbabe
17.08.2009, 21:50
I remember the Butlins camp band; I played [flugel] in it in the early '80's! Fun times indeed......I never thought that I would ever play in a brass band which contained so many flugelists, but now I am playing in a brass group of 28, four of whom are flugels! :biggrin: 'Tis an amazing group. Does anyone else out there have memories of Butlins, or of flugels en-masse?

Aussie Tuba
17.08.2009, 22:33
I remember those Butlins Days now long gone,
I played EEb Bass and on the youth march was the only Bass player in a band numbering more than I could count in the time alloted. But it sure was big. The only Help on Bass came from My Mate Lyndon On Bass Trom. We gave it our all that day.

trumpetbabe
17.08.2009, 22:44
I have to admit, I never played in gthe youth group! Shame on me!! I just played in the 'big' band in the concert room (sorry, I don't remember the name of it!). I do remember the loong 'walk-about' (is that really an Aussie term?) you guys did though! Must have been tough with a Bass.....

Aussie Tuba
17.08.2009, 22:58
The concert room was the Gayitey Theater and I know it isn't spelt right.
Going Walkabout is an aborigional term.
was onlt 18 back then so it was a breeze. I hadn't moved to Australia then either, didn't move here until 1986

sbandsman
19.08.2009, 11:39
I was also a S.A bandsman/songster (Solo Cornet). My home of Stamford had until a few years ago both sections but now is using tapes/cds for backing as the musical sections have dissapeared. Although only playing with a small home band I have spent many hours playing under Mr. Woodmans father-in-law, Ray Maycock with Chatham band ( on BBb).
I now play in a contesting band in 3rd section midlands and thoroughly enjoy it. Also I have been able to play with other outfits, For any of you who would like to play with a "scratch" band on an informal basis the British Association of Christian Brass Bands meet a couple of time a year with rehearsal/concert. type dos. Always playing in Methodist Central hall on the morning after the Nationals for "the Bandsmans Service" with guest conductors etc.
Any one wanting info please PM. or if you know Trevor Austin (Rosehill music) contact him
:)

steve sizeland
19.08.2009, 15:08
I remember going to the first Butlins in the mid sixties - Clacton? Great fun had by all and then back the following weekend to councils at Clapton Congress Hall. Shame to think I've lost touch with the many friends made that week. Anybody else remember the first one?

jrshimmon
19.08.2009, 20:45
Those massed band gatherings at Butlins don't seem to happen any more. Butlins is on every year in Minehead these days but Roots conference in Southport appears to have largely replaced it. Shame really because those kind of things are happening less and less everywhere.

carlwoodman
19.08.2009, 22:28
Those massed band gatherings at Butlins don't seem to happen any more. Butlins is on every year in Minehead these days but Roots conference in Southport appears to have largely replaced it. Shame really because those kind of things are happening less and less everywhere.

Gosh, your information is a bit out of date.
The Butlins gathering still happens, it's called New Horizons, and in recent years has been held at Bognor Regis. The band is led by Kevin Ashman.

The Roots conference would, I suggest, cater for quite a different audience and wasn't held in 2009.

TORBAY BRASS BAND
20.08.2009, 13:03
Interesting comments re SA and contesting bands ,we have both current and ex SA players in our band here in Torbay. It can be a bit of a juggling act sometimes with band commitments but we seem to manage quite well.

Aussie Tuba
20.08.2009, 22:37
I was with a contesting Band for a while, Practising for contest on Sunday AM conflicted. would have been ok if it were Sunday arvo. Had Fun contesting and do miss it sometimes.

Par10
22.08.2009, 21:19
It's about time I added myself to this list. I started playing cornet in Sherburn Hill YP Band in Co. Durham before moving to Sunderland Millfield then on to Norwich Citadel. I also spent a short time at Regent Hall although not in the band. I often wonder where I would be playing now if I had taken advantage of all the playing opportunities the Army presented.

I also wonder where life would have taken me if I had taken advantage of the efforts expended in my direction by Bandmaster Dennis Taylor, Captain John White and, now, Major John Maslin, when I was a headstrong youngster just drifting through life whilst being a member of the Streatham Vale Corps band.

When you are in your young teens it is not always easy to see the wood from the trees, I came out of uniform when I was sixteen but came back to banding when I was thirty two and have enjoyed it ever since, but had I taken advantage of the help that was offerred me I feel sure that the pleasure that I get from playing now would be so much more enhanced.

We are all wise in hindsite!!!

jrshimmon
22.08.2009, 21:45
Gosh, your information is a bit out of date.
The Butlins gathering still happens, it's called New Horizons, and in recent years has been held at Bognor Regis. The band is led by Kevin Ashman.

The Roots conference would, I suggest, cater for quite a different audience and wasn't held in 2009.

I apologise for my in accurate information. But both Bognor Regis or Minehead are a good distance from both where I live now and also Yorkshire where I grew up. Since the Butlins week left Skegness which must be over 10 years ago now. I don't actually know anyone who goes.

It is nice however to know that Butlins is still alive and kicking for those that can get to it. Would be nice if it were closer.

It's a shame in some ways Roots doesn't acknowledge some of the SA's traditions more such as banding. I am not suggesting they accompany worship but maybe a worlds largest open air in 2010 or an after hours concert. Anyway that is really something for a different thread in a different forum.

That'll teach me to pay more attention and read the Salvationist more diligently anyway.