PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Bass Trombonist

Stuart Bentley
03.01.2003, 14:27
I'm a recent convert from Tenor to Bass Trombone - and they've given me a double trigger beast -

Now, I can find slide charts for single trigger - but not double -

Can anyone help out?

Fishsta
04.01.2003, 00:58
Stuart, how ironic!!! One of our players, who is called Stuart, is moving to Bass Trom!

He said he found info on both types, so I will send him an email and get him to either

a) join the forums and tell you himself
b) tell me, and I'll tell you

Good luck! And remember the only two dynamics you need on Bass Trombone are "On" and "Off"! :D

TheMusicMan
04.01.2003, 01:54
Fishsta... why not use the new 'E-Mail a friend' feature at the bottom right of this thread to inform your mate.... :wink:

Fishsta
04.01.2003, 02:19
Good thinking, Batman! Going to do it now! :)

Stuart Bentley
05.01.2003, 15:26
Thanks chaps :) - I look forward to the replies.

P.S. - Yeah - the bit about dymanics - very True :lol:

Although I suspect I may need a set of bellows to sit on.

Lizziejayne
05.01.2003, 17:52
:lol: Hi Stuart

I didn't think you needed any help with dynamics - especially loud!

See you at rehearsal

Stuart Bentley
05.01.2003, 18:54
Thanks awfully Lizzie Old Bean :)

Nice to know someone can hear me :)

bigcol
17.01.2003, 12:08
The 2nd valve when used with the 1st will give you a D or Db in open position. There's no hard and fast rules - it just depends on your make and model.

Bottom C is about 3rd/4th position, Bottom B a bit further out around 5. It's all about experimenting.

That's why there are no charts!

Colin.

Stuart Bentley
17.01.2003, 14:47
Thanks for that - was beginning to work it out myself - nice to know I'm not the only one who has to fiddle about.

Stuart

bigcol
17.01.2003, 14:55
Now if memory serves me right - if it's a D, you can pull out the valve's tuning slide to make it a Db if you have a piece with lots of Db/C/B's in it.

I'm referring to a Holton Bass Trom - massive beast with a great tone - which has a double trigger like this.

If the 2nd trigger is independent, it plays a G or Gb in open position (as opposed to F for the 1st trigger). The Holton wasn't, so I never used it.

Handy for lazy 5th position work, but not much else.

I once played the 1st trombone part for James Bond Collection on one of these beasts (up to top C (treble clef)). Interesting exercise!

Colin.

Stuart Bentley
17.01.2003, 15:01
You have the drop on me there mate - I'm not really upto that kind of standard as yet - but I'm working on it.

Btw - My beast is a King 2 trigger independant (I have been doing a little reading up an the subject)

My next task is to start player all the right notes - in something like the right order - that would be novel.

Boneman
20.01.2003, 13:37
I once played the 1st trombone part for James Bond Collection on one of these beasts (up to top C (treble clef)). Interesting exercise!

Colin.

I have played, and made a balls up, of that solo! - And that was on a normal tenor trombone! (i.e. one which only goes in and out - no valves or plugs or anything)

Simon.

bigcol
20.01.2003, 13:44
I have played, and made a balls up, of that solo! - And that was on a normal tenor trombone! (i.e. one which only goes in and out - no valves or plugs or anything)

I must say on the fateful day in question I acutally hit a top D (!) first, before getting the C, but I got away with it - must have sort of fit.

Now I'm on BBb bass there is as much chance of me getting the tune as there is of them picking a good piece for the Championship Section Nationals.

Boneman
20.01.2003, 15:25
I have to confess it was the top 'C' that caused me the problems, it all seemed to be going well until then, never mind I only had half of my family in the audience to watch - Never mind my Mum thought it was lovely!

Perhaps they'll pick Essence of Time next year - a cracking piece, plus a BBb Bass solo!