PDA

View Full Version : 12 into 11 won't go

Pythagoras
17.08.2006, 17:32
When Flintoff is fit what would your starting line up be for the ashes. Mine would be:

Strauss (Cap)
Trescothick
Cook
Pieterson
Bell
Flintoff
Read
Mahmood (or Jones if fit, or maybe Plunkett not sure)
Harmison
Hoggard
Panesar

Cantonian
18.08.2006, 09:11
Strauss (Capt)
Trescothick
Cook
Pieterson
Bell
Flintoff
Collingwood
Read (or Jones)
Hoggard
Panesar
Harmison

I would get Collingwood to work on his bowling before arriving in Australia and Flintoff and Collingwood 'floating' in the order as I do not think that Pieterson and Flintoff bat well together.

starperformer
18.08.2006, 10:55
i really worry about this, the hiding we have been giving pakistan is very flattering but we are a shadow of the side from last year. compared with the class that aus have in most positions i think this could be a very harrowing experience - back to earth with a bump.

Strauss - good bat but makes a rubbish captain and i think he has been worked out recently
Trescothick - hopelessly out of form, may not even start
Cook - can't play legspin and will get killed on tour
Pieterson - ok but too cavalier for most situations
Bell - i suspect he will get murdered on tour
Flintoff - overhyped and will be underprepared. also a very mediocre skipper
Read - can't bat, end of. good 'keeper though
Mahmood - all over the shop. fodder.
G. Jones - can't bat (at the moment) or catch
Plunkett - bowls short, gets tonked. it's a recurring thing
Harmison - awful away from home, can't be trusted
Hoggard - dependable but will be a bit toothless on aussie tracks
Panesar - can't field and will take stick. adds to long tail. love his bowling but its not the finished article

bigcol
18.08.2006, 10:56
Morning All - and my starting 11 for the first Ashes test is:

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pieterson
Collingwood
Freddie
Read
Broad
Hoggard
Harmison
Monty

Tresco needs to do a Go Jo and go and find some form and confidence. If the Pakistani medium pacers have sussed him out, what will messers McGrath and Lee do?

Additionally we need to take 20 wickets and protect Fred, so we must play 5 bowlers 3 + Fred is asking for trouble.

bigcol
18.08.2006, 10:59
Harmison - awful away from home, can't be trusted

Erm - West Indies 2004? 7-12?

starperformer
18.08.2006, 11:01
yeah, well i don't need to go back to 2004 to think of some terrible no-shows!

bigcol
18.08.2006, 11:06
Must admit he wasn't great in SA, but the WI pitches are similar to Australia so fingers crossed.

starperformer
18.08.2006, 11:10
the SA pitches are even more similar to australia, although thankfully i don't think the pitches were the main problem.

he is still far too inconsistent and his confidence obviously takes a massive hit when he can't unwind from a day of none-for-plenty with a newcy brown and a bag of scraps

Will the Sec
18.08.2006, 18:31
I'm available for the Ashes.

2nd man down
25.08.2006, 17:41
I'm available for the Ashes.

okaaaaaaaaay...

Belfast Barman
03.09.2006, 17:32
Trescothick
Cook
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Bell
Read
Broad
Harmison
Hoggard
Panesar

I wouldn't even bother taking Strauss - as has been mentioned previously, he has been found out as an international skipper, and as such, his batting has suffered. Also, my captain would be Trescothick, not Flintoff - just how much pressure do we want to put on him, seeing as though he ain't got enough, what with being our "go-to" bowler and batsman who will try to see the innings through.....
Antony Macgrath (Yorkshire) would be another useful addition - very similar to Collingwood, but can bat a touch better.....

Andy