PDA

View Full Version : Python Songs

tubatu
15.10.2003, 19:04
I'm sat at home watching Eric Idle singing Always Look on the Bright Side of Life on Top of the Pops 2, and I was wondering, were any of the Python songs ever arranged for Brass Band?
What is your favourite Python Song?

Fishsta
15.10.2003, 19:27
LOL!!!! :D

I'm a huge Python fan myself. I could see a Brass Band arrangement opening doors to all sorts of concert entertainment ideas.

My personal favourite song is the Lumberjack song, I can just imagine our conductor or percussionist coming out dressed as a Lumberjack or something, wielding a dead parrot. :D

"Spam" would be a bit boring, though, wouldn't it? :)

Sellers_Bird
15.10.2003, 20:16
"every sperm is sacred" does it for me every time! and the lumber jack song aswell :oops:

Jo Elson
15.10.2003, 21:01
You gotta love Monty Python. genius. Has me in stitches every time i watch one of the films, yet i find myself laughing before the funny part is said because i know what is coming next! :lol:

ploughboy
16.10.2003, 00:21
what a thread!!
wow!

All great songs,

Isn't it awfully nice to have a willy?
Sit on my face
Philosiphers song
All things Dull and Ugly (i'm sure that's been done for band)
I like Chineese

All fantastic fun songs, how about a medley? Mr Sparke are you following this??

Cornishwomble
16.10.2003, 07:57
NOthing would get the audience rocking more than the "Spam" song.
I could even see a band marching along at a carnival to the "Camelot" song from "The holy grail".

rutty
16.10.2003, 08:29
Liberty Bell? I always want to go "Fthhhhtuuuuppppp" after playing that...

Sit On My Face already has a Brass Band feel to it, that'd go down well as an arrangement.

beard_4b
16.10.2003, 08:52
Knights of the round table - the last line of which would make a great bass trom/Bb bass solo! :wink:

BigHorn
16.10.2003, 09:41
Dont forget the universe song. Brilliantly clever lyrics. I think this would make quite a good brass arrangement too.

Di B
16.10.2003, 09:43
Thought this might be of interest....

We got out an old piece called (I think!) the Three Musketeers....

Half way through one of the movements there is a nice bass line melody.

Two bars in I totally lost it and cracked up as it sounded like the lumberjack song and was thinking of our basses dressed in high heels and the rest!

Check the 'dusty' sections out in your libraries - if you're interested!

Fishsta
16.10.2003, 10:25

Sit On My Face already has a Brass Band feel to it, that'd go down well as an arrangement.

It's probably already been done, or maybe it's part of one of those "War songs" compilations... because the tune is "Sing as we go" by Gracie Fields.

Keppler
16.10.2003, 10:51
There is an arrangement of "always look on the bright side of life"

I can't remember the arranger or publisher now though. will try to find out

Aidan
16.10.2003, 12:45
Brave sir Robin :)

rutty
16.10.2003, 12:56

It's probably already been done, or maybe it's part of one of those "War songs" compilations... because the tune is "Sing as we go" by Gracie Fields.Good point. I think Python robbed a lot of their tunes

lynchie
16.10.2003, 13:17
could do something good with Eric the Half a Bee... And the theme from The Life of Brian would make a cracking opener!

timbloke
16.10.2003, 13:57
being a sad obsessed trombonist like i am and knowing the finer points of python....

"there are those who call me..... Tim"

i think the meaning of life theme would work well, as would the galaxy song.

although how about doing a bandsman version of the four yorkshiremen?

"in my day, used to have to play hand written music....!"
"hand written?!? ****** luxury! oooh how we longed for the days of hand written music, we had to guess the music..." etc etc..

Dave Payn
16.10.2003, 14:19
Sit on My Face is actually a far older song, originally called 'Sing As We Go' (from the film of the same name) written by Harry Parr-Davies, just with new (ahem!) lyrics added by the Python Team

Python songs which probably wouldn't work for brass....

I Like Traffic Lights
Finland, Finland, Finland

'And don't forget folks, if yer wanna arrange them, get permission first'.

That was a public information broadcast by some Goon from the PRS... :-)

Regards

cornetgirl
16.10.2003, 19:51
For me, it has to be Knights of the Round Table - and has anyone else got Holy Grail on DVD and seen the LEGO version? Mint!

So what would we all have in our essential Python band piece - I think I'll have a go at one if we can come to some general concensus!

Rach x

tewkeshorn
16.10.2003, 19:54
Well whatever is in it, would have to include 'Always look on the bright side of life' (with whistling) but that'd probably the trickiest one to get permission to use, and of course the Python selection wouldnt be Python without the Liberty Bell at the end :D

JessopSmythe
16.10.2003, 23:40
For me, it has to be Knights of the Round Table - and has anyone else got Holy Grail on DVD and seen the LEGO version? Mint!

Outstanding bit of animation. I keep watching it over and over and it's still funny.

MattB
17.10.2003, 08:28
Rach,

If you are going to arrange a Python medley, I would definately buy one! Imagine the skits that you could do with it! The audience participation..............!!!!

Nik_The_Insane
17.10.2003, 08:42
Hmmmm what bout the Philosophers Drinking Song?

Wouldn't that fint in more with a brass band??? :lol:

andyp
17.10.2003, 09:53
Hmmmm what bout the Philosophers Drinking Song?

Wouldn't that fint in more with a brass band??? :lol:

I reckon thatīd be great, get a couple of the guys dressed as Aussies, and an overhead projector for the words, and you could do it as it was done 'Live at the Hollywood bowl'.
Probably not suitable for a church concert, though....... :evil:

Mike Saville
17.10.2003, 10:02
Eric the half-a-bee has got to be the best Python song - for it's lyrical qualities alone ie:

ho ho ho he he he
eric the half a bee

a b c d e f g
eric the half a bee

fiddlee-dum fiddle-dee
eric the half a bee

. .. .. all time classic

lynchie
17.10.2003, 10:31
...cyril connelly...

beard_4b
17.10.2003, 13:27
'sit on my face' is quality

ps its my 500th post!!!!!

Moy
17.10.2003, 13:37
'sit on my face' is quality

ps its my 500th post!!!!!
Congratulations - I've a long way to go.

timbloke
17.10.2003, 14:24
Eric the half-a-bee has got to be the best Python song - for it's lyrical qualities alone..

surely the intro is the best bit?

"Half a bee, phil-ee-sophiclee.
Must ipso-facto half not be.

But can a bee, be said to be,
etc.. etc..

(must do work, will let others finsh it off)

lynchie
20.10.2003, 11:00
vizavee it's entity...