PDA

View Full Version : Huge disruption at all UK airports following terror plot!

TheMusicMan
10.08.2006, 13:02
Check out BBC.co.uk !!! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778575.stm

What on earth is the world coming to? A huge threat on an unimaginable scale to blow up to ten passenger airliners as they travel from the UK across the atlantic to the USA. Police ans security services had to act last night at 02:00 AM and have made 20 arrests.

Typical that Jen and my kids are right now in the USA... :(:(

A worried tMM...

DaveR
10.08.2006, 13:46

A worried tMM...
I know - not a time to be flying anywhere. Still it could be worse John, they could be at Heathrow! ;)

PeterBale
10.08.2006, 13:52
We're due to fly to Scotland on the Bank Holiday weekend for the SASWE visit to Clydebank, having planned to fit all we need into hand luggage to save time. After checking that the saxophone was the right dimensions to be taken in the overhead locker, it looks as if they may insist on it going in the hold, which I'm not really very happy about. Mind you, looking at the list of Easy Jet cancellations today, there's no telling whether the flights will operate anyway.

Big Twigge
10.08.2006, 13:57
Dad flew to Belfast this morning, it took him an hour and a half to get through security and he was only allowed to take his passport and wallet on with him(he wasn't even allowed his keys!). Personally I'd prefer they take these precautions!

Just heard that Easyjet have cancelled loads of flights....must find out who Dad was flying with - not sure he'll be back tonight somehow!

On a lighter note, Elin's (Twigglet) response was she wasn't sure what damage Jilly Copper could do!!

Ipswich trom
10.08.2006, 13:57
I was at Gatwick this morning to see off my sister on her way back to Canada. At 0610 it was chaos but by 09:00 when I left it was at a standstill and they had closed off the South terminal as it was completely full.

I heard one guy moaning at staff becuase he wasn't allowed to take his IPOD on the flight with him. Some people are just totally selfish!

My sister had to take her 1 year old on to 9 hour flight with no toys to amuse him, just a few essentials.

Also saw one woman with three children trying to explain that she had to take a speacial cooled bag on with her as it contained the insulin etc for her diabetic children. I don't know if she got on in the end but the staff were certainly not going to let them on at the time i was there.:mad:

DaveR
10.08.2006, 13:59
On a lighter note, Elin's (Twigglet) response was she wasn't sure what damage Jilly Copper could do!!

Anybody deranged enough to want to read Jilly Cooper is definitely a safety risk to everybody else ;) :tongue:

TheMusicMan
10.08.2006, 14:01
Latest: All flights re LHR are now cancelled for today.

Rapier
10.08.2006, 14:27
I'm flying to the USA on Monday. Hope they've got some decent films as I can't take any books. Still, better to be bored than scattered over the Atlantic. :)

timbloke
10.08.2006, 14:31
my mum flys back from Ethiopia to Heathrow tomorrow for a two week break from her two year VSO work. Not seen her since last May, I sincereley hope her plans aren'tt too disrupted by all this, but I suspect they may be.

ian perks
10.08.2006, 16:39
One of the lads at our work is going to Florida for his holiday in 2 weeks time and the family as been looking forward to it now this happens .
He is in 2 minds what to do.

TheMusicMan
10.08.2006, 16:42
He has to wait Ian. No decisions have been made but I am sure things will have eased off by then.

Veri
10.08.2006, 18:11
I am feeling most fortunate, because I arrived back at Gatwick from my hols only yesterday afternoon with BA - I wouldn't have fancied being stuck at Innsbruck airport for any length of time, there was nothing there and the seats were really uncomfortable. I feel really sorry for all the people who were hoping to go away today and who are stuck waiting in places, but it's good that they managed to take action etc rather than have 6 planes full blown up.

Rapier
10.08.2006, 18:18
One of the lads at our work is going to Florida for his holiday in 2 weeks time and the family as been looking forward to it now this happens .
He is in 2 minds what to do.

He should go. Hand luggage is a minor inconvenience not worth missing a holiday for. And I'm not even giving the 'bomb' aspect any thought at all. This is probably the safest time to fly. :)

SuperMosh
10.08.2006, 21:19
Check out BBC.co.uk !!! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778575.stm

What on earth is the world coming to? A huge threat on an unimaginable scale to blow up to ten passenger airliners as they travel from the UK across the atlantic to the USA. Police ans security services had to act last night at 02:00 AM and have made 20 arrests.

A worried tMM...

It is difficult when you see these things on news, my dad, step-mum and sister live near to Gatwick and I have found myself thinking all sorts. I can only begin to imagine what's in your head mate. Look on the bright side, they could be gone some time due to delayed flights so you could always throw a tMP party round your gaff. We won't tell your missus mate.

Pete :)

Charmed
10.08.2006, 21:49
Not being the sort of person who enjoys flying at the best of times, listening to the news today has made me rather paronoid. We're flying home tomorrow from Tenerife and although the airport we are landing at (Humberside) does not appear to be of concern re the current issue, my paronoia is taking over. I keep thinking while the security teams are focussing on the major airports and flights to and from the US, the 'cunning' terroists are actually planning a strike elsewhere! This has now spoiled my last night on holiday, all I can think about is the flight home tomorrow!

We have also got a holiday planned in November to Las Vegas and I have told hubbie he can cancel that as soon as we get back home. He has refused saying he is not letting 'them' win by cancelling the holiday. However, I think I would have to be in a coma to get on a plane once I land back safely in England (hopefully) tomorrow!

Big Twigge
10.08.2006, 22:38
Dad's return flight was cancelled and the first one he could get would be tomorrow evening, so instead he is getting a boat back to Liverpool at midnight! Apparently the boat is a lorry transporter...

Flutey
10.08.2006, 22:41
It is difficult when you see these things on news, my dad, step-mum and sister live near to Gatwick and I have found myself thinking all sorts. I can only begin to imagine what's in your head mate. Look on the bright side, they could be gone some time due to delayed flights so you could always throw a tMP party round your gaff. We won't tell your missus mate.

Pete :)
Are we close enough to be affected by it? I don't know these things, but you're right, we are close.

Seedhouse
11.08.2006, 02:29
Parents due to go on a 2 1/2 week trip to Canada (and around all it's cities) on Sat to celebrate their 25th Wedding anni., and have been looking forward to it for soooooooo long! Would be gutted if they didn't get to go... :(

baribari
11.08.2006, 04:14
What the hell are you all doing there?!

I left heathrow on Sunday to go to dubai and then NZ - it seems that they (MI5) have known about this for 5 days - meaning that I missed all this nonsense by a gnat's whisker!

Now in NZ - not coming back home until you've sorted it out!

johnflugel
11.08.2006, 13:18
I flew back from San Francisco yesterday morning into Heathrow - left 3am UK time and arrived at about midday. Avoided cancellation of my flight by a few hours it seems, so was very fortunate. Heathrow was bedlam. I had real sympathy for people on my flight who were connecting to European flights in Heathrow who just could not go anywhere. The departure was full of families with cases piled high and the baggage claim area was like a cattle market.

Anno Draconis
11.08.2006, 14:09
We have also got a holiday planned in November to Las Vegas and I have told hubbie he can cancel that as soon as we get back home. He has refused saying he is not letting 'them' win by cancelling the holiday.

Although it's obvious (and understandable) that you're worried, your hubby has a point. Why should you cancel your trip? My 2 months pregnant wife was due to fly to America on 6 October 2001, and after September 11 we wondered about cancelling her trip. We didn't, because we reasoned that actually immediately after a big terrorist alert is absolutely the safest time to fly (and flying is about the safest form of transport mile-for-mile anyway). All the ground staff and police are being extra cautious and careful, where they might have been a little bit on "auto-pilot" before.

For both of us, there was also a small element of defiance. Why should these evil b***ards govern when and where we are allowed to go? As a nation we survived 30 years of IRA terrorism (including the Manchester bomb in 1996, still AFAIK the biggest bomb ever detonated in peacetime UK) and we'll survive these scumbags :mad:

Charmed
11.08.2006, 21:51
Well, arrived back at home. No delays whatsoever. However, I did find it strange that there didn't seem to be much more security at the airport in Tenerife. People were getting on the plane with all their hand luggage, ie rucksacks, briefcases etc. Yet when we arrived at Humberside, the restrictions on hand luggage was the same as at the London airports, plastic bags with only the allowed items inside.

Anyway, good to be back on British soil, even though it is freezing!

Haven't quite made my mind up yet about the trip to the US in November, particularly as we are supposed to be flying with American Airlines :eek: . Maybe by then I will feel a bit safer getting on the plane. I understand what people are saying about not letting them rule our lives, but then if you're on a plane with a 'madman' then there is NO negotiation is there? And do I want to risk that for the sake of a week in Las Vegas? :confused:

Anno Draconis
11.08.2006, 21:57
However, I did find it strange that there didn't seem to be much more security at the airport in Tenerife. People were getting on the plane with all their hand luggage, ie rucksacks, briefcases etc. Yet when we arrived at Humberside, the restrictions on hand luggage was the same as at the London airports, plastic bags with only the allowed items inside.

AFAIK the intelligence was that the threat was going to originate from the UK and affect outbound flights, rather than inbound flights from elsewhere.

sugarandspice
11.08.2006, 22:15
Haven't quite made my mind up yet about the trip to the US in November, particularly as we are supposed to be flying with American Airlines :eek: . Maybe by then I will feel a bit safer getting on the plane. I understand what people are saying about not letting them rule our lives, but then if you're on a plane with a 'madman' then there is NO negotiation is there? And do I want to risk that for the sake of a week in Las Vegas? :confused:

But when you think about how many flights take off from Britian each day, it must be hundreds, times that by a year and you have a lot of flights! So therefore the chance of a "madman" on your flight becomes less!
Dont let it ruin your trip hun.

Roger Thorne
12.08.2006, 11:34
Flew back from Crete last night with minimal disruption. Airport security at Heraklion had been increased, but we were only delayed for about half an hour. Manchester Airport seemed to be very quiet though, which surprised me as I would have thought that with all the disruptions over the previous couple of days it would have been very busy. There didn't seem to be any 'noticeable' additional security measures in place either which I thought was odd.

;)