PDA

View Full Version : Twenty20 Cricket

LeDragon
30.06.2006, 21:49
Anybody else into this? I think it's brilliant!

Will the Sec
30.06.2006, 22:42
Yep, and as I'm not playing anymore, I'm getting to see some of it!

Shame it seems to be mostly overseas players starring at the moment, though....

IYOUNG
30.06.2006, 23:31
Just back from the 20/20 match at Lords seeing the Spitfires beat the Crusaders

Crowd of 20,000 marvellous stuff

Big Twigge
01.07.2006, 00:25
Going up to Headingley a week tomorrow to watch my first live 20/20 - can't wait!
wooooo!

bagpuss
01.07.2006, 02:23
Been watching it on the tele when the programme schedulers can manage to squeeze it in between hours of Big Brother, The Mint and dramas that no-one actually watches anymore. I think it's great. Also watched the 'classic' version the other day with ngland players like Chris Lewis, and Robin Smith amongst the lineup. Outstanding stuff.

Puss

TheMusicMan
01.07.2006, 10:23
Cricket does nothing for me I'm afraid, not even when we won the Ashes recently. Each to their own I guess.

@ Will: why not playing anymore? I thought this was the only thing above banding for ya?

ian perks
01.07.2006, 15:56
Cricket is a GREAT GAME full stop played it and was a member of Warwickshire County Cricket Club till 3 years ago till they put up the memebership some what by a large amount but go and see the odd sunday game if not out with band:clap:

tam-tam2
01.07.2006, 23:47
The Somerset v. Gloucester game on SKY the other day was awesome ! 250 in 20 overs, some super hitting.......two big scores from overseas batsmen!! :tup

LeDragon
01.07.2006, 23:51
The Somerset v. Gloucester game on SKY the other day was awesome ! 250 in 20 overs, some super hitting.......two big scores from overseas batsmen!! :tup

It was brilliant wasn't it - 118 from Cameron White I think - It was the highest ever 20/20 score by a team. If you were in that crowd you couldn't take your eye off the match for fear of getting a 6 shot in the head!!

tam-tam2
01.07.2006, 23:56
Justin Langer's innings really suprised me too, I'm not used to seeing him play like that!!

LeDragon
01.07.2006, 23:57
Yeah, he's not normally slogging them round like that is he!!

Will the Sec
02.07.2006, 00:22
Justin Langer started out as a biffer on a par with Darren Lehmann. He changed his style (and added an 'r' to his name so people pronounced his name right) when he realised there were six or seven people figiting for two spots in the Aussie line up. The change of style made him a candidate for an opening berth, and he made it his own.

I had no doubts that if put into a Twenty20 game his technique and experience would make him a worthy addition to any team.

Shame it seems to be mostly overseas players starring at the moment, though....

Having said that, Ronnie Irani's knock on Friday night should see him straight into the Twenty20 world cup team. Absoultely awestriking.

tam-tam2
02.07.2006, 00:49
Absoultely awestriking.

Is that a word? Some really good bowling in the Leicestershire v. Lancashire game the other day, what a supreb finish that was. Even Glamorgan seem to be doing ok with a bit of help from their Kiwi friends. It is a very viewer friendly form of the game and can only be good for the publicity of the game as a whole. :)

LeDragon
02.07.2006, 00:57
Having said that, Ronnie Irani's knock on Friday night should see him straight into the Twenty20 world cup team. Absoultely awestriking.

Too right :clap:

What I also like about Twenty20 is the way the commentators are linked up to the fielders and umpires and can speak to them individually when they want - definitely adds a different dimension to the game.

Will the Sec
02.07.2006, 00:58
Is that a word?

It is whenyour space barsuffers from intermittent effectiveness

LeDragon
02.07.2006, 00:58
Is that a word? Some really good bowling in the Leicestershire v. Lancashire game the other day, what a supreb finish that was. Even Glamorgan seem to be doing ok with a bit of help from their Kiwi friends. It is a very viewer friendly form of the game and can only be good for the publicity of the game as a whole. :)

Yeah, Lancs winning it on the last ball with a 6! Shame they've lost to Durham since then - that's two losses out of three for the tournament favourites!

tam-tam2
02.07.2006, 01:29
It is whenyour space barsuffers from intermittent effectiveness
:)

Pythagoras
03.07.2006, 08:58
Can't get interested in twenty-twenty. Much prefer 4 or 5 day matches. Think the introduction of things like international 20-20 is worrying as surely TV companies will put on pressure to have more of that and less tests.

tam-tam2
03.07.2006, 17:04
Glamorgan still going strong.......they can't be dreadful at every form of the game!!:) Suprised that Warwickshire beat Somerset though!!

jingleram
03.07.2006, 17:23
Can't get interested in twenty-twenty. Much prefer 4 or 5 day matches. Think the introduction of things like international 20-20 is worrying as surely TV companies will put on pressure to have more of that and less tests.
True, however, Twenty20 does make cricket more accessible to those who find watching cricket "like watching paint dry"

Flugelmahorn
06.07.2006, 17:23
The crowd numbers at all the matches for the last couple of seasons speak for themselves as to what a great success Twenty20 cup has been. I was at Lords the other week watching Kent beat Middlesex and it was a great atmosphere and a great evening's entertainment. Friends of mine who aren't even in to cricket were there and said how much they enjoyed it.

Been great to get back into cricket playing wise and watching wise since returning from Scotland... forgot how much I enjoy a trip to Lords...!!

tam-tam2
06.07.2006, 18:04
:( :( I went to the Glamorgan v. Warwickshire game last night to watch all of 17 balls bowled.......they have given us free tickets for Monday's game against Gloucestershire though!!:) Pretty good really as I didn't have to buy a ticket in the first place! Great atmosphere despite the rain!

LeDragon
06.07.2006, 21:33
I believe that the 'Roses' match at Old Trafford tomorrow is a sell out - that should be a cracker, weather permitting.

LeDragon
07.07.2006, 21:35
Have just watched the Lancs v Yorks match. I wasn't all that impressed with Yorkshire's Darren Lehman twice giving the middle finger to the crowd - didn't think I'd ever see stuff like that in a cricket match!

If this happened in a football match I'm sure there would be all hell up over it - I wonder if the cricket authorities will take any action against Lehman?

Belfast Barman
08.07.2006, 10:15
I've always loved cricket, being on Yorkshire's books a long time ago (I did what you would call nagging wrist spin!), and twenty/20 is the greatest innovation since Kerry Packer decided to go for entrance music, coloured clothing - basically the whole one-day shebang.
However, I absolutely LOVED last night's result, when we finally beat Lancashire at Old Trafford (first time ever in twenty/20), and in effect, cost them there red noses any hope they had of reaching the semi-final and final day.111 Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!:biggrin: :clap:

Andy, trying to perfect the doosra with an orange

Big Twigge
09.07.2006, 14:34
Well I am no longer a 20/20 virgin! It was quite good, not the most exciting match ever and Yorkshire lost:frown:, but it was still lots of fun.

Leicester had some cracking fielding moments. 2 amazing catches - one caught and bowled the other a one handed Jonty Rhodesesque catch (I can't remember who did these!)
I'd definitely go again though!

Will the Sec
11.08.2006, 18:31
C'mon Essex!

jcowensEb
30.10.2007, 22:32
yorkshire through and though, 20/20 is the best game,during cricket i play 20/20 twice a week,if i had 2 choose between cricket nd band,itll b close but band would win i think,