PDA

View Full Version : The answer to Penalty Shootouts???

2nd man down
19.06.2006, 16:34
So here's an interesting concept.

Was listening to this bloke rattling on on Radio 5 the other week about having a positive outlook on life, and among other things he came up with was a rather novel (and positive, which was the whole point of his philosophy on life) way of sorting out football matches without resorting to the nail biting and ultimately cardial arrest inducing penalty shootout.

He reckoned the way to do it was to keep a track of a certain statistic throughout the match and decide any tied games on it's total value.

And here it is...
the team who's goalkeeper touches the ball most times through the game (not including the keeper bouncing it to himself obviously) is deemed to be the loser (only in the event of a dead tie after extra time). This would not only encourage teams to have more shots on the oppositions goal, but would also discourage the boring "sit on a 1-0 lead by putting 11 men behind the ball" teams from passing back to the keeper (I can hear the Italians groaning from here!!).

I thought with a bit of thinking about it could actually work very well. You could have the running tally on the screen or scoreboard throughout the game...wouldn't half make the last 10 mins of a game interesting!

Any thoughts??

Andy Moore
19.06.2006, 16:59
Sorry, I don't like it, but I'm a fan of penalty shootouts anyway.

2nd man down
19.06.2006, 17:16
Sorry, I don't like it, but I'm a fan of penalty shootouts anyway.

Ooh!! A masochistic sadist! :rolleyes:

Cantonian
19.06.2006, 17:29
So here's an interesting concept.

Was listening to this bloke rattling on on Radio 5 the other week about having a positive outlook on life, and among other things he came up with was a rather novel (and positive, which was the whole point of his philosophy on life) way of sorting out football matches without resorting to the nail biting and ultimately cardial arrest inducing penalty shootout.

He reckoned the way to do it was to keep a track of a certain statistic throughout the match and decide any tied games on it's total value.

And here it is...
the team who's goalkeeper touches the ball most times through the game (not including the keeper bouncing it to himself obviously) is deemed to be the loser (only in the event of a dead tie after extra time). This would not only encourage teams to have more shots on the oppositions goal, but would also discourage the boring "sit on a 1-0 lead by putting 11 men behind the ball" teams from passing back to the keeper (I can hear the Italians groaning from here!!).

I thought with a bit of thinking about it could actually work very well. You could have the running tally on the screen or scoreboard throughout the game...wouldn't half make the last 10 mins of a game interesting!

Any thoughts??

This could be circumvented by defenders taking goal kicks and defenders smacking the ball into the crowd thirty yards down the pitch instead of passing back.

2nd man down
19.06.2006, 17:37
This could be circumvented by defenders taking goal kicks and defenders smacking the ball into the crowd thirty yards down the pitch instead of passing back.

Like I said, it would need to be properly thought through to iron out the loopholes.

Thirteen Ball
19.06.2006, 18:43
Anything's got to be better than penalties.

I'd suggest adding up the total number of shots on target, then the number of hits on the woodwork, then the number of corners either team has had, and subtracting the number of fouls they've made.

Not only would this encourage attacking football, but fair play as well.

Maestro
19.06.2006, 20:59
Why not use the 5-aside system that they adopted in Norfolk some years ago?

In the event of a draw, 4 points for a goal and 1 for a corner

Thirteen Ball
20.06.2006, 18:53
In the event of a draw, 4 points for a goal and 1 for a corner

Good idea, but in the event of a draw, aren't the number of goals normally equal both sides? ;)

Maestro
20.06.2006, 21:57
So one side forces more corners than the other, then they go through.

Janet Watkins
21.06.2006, 14:53
Not really an alternative to a penalty shoot out, but I once heard someone suggest that the penalty shoot out takes place before the game starts!

The teams would know in advance who would be the winners if the result was to be a draw!

jingleram
21.06.2006, 18:54
Not really an alternative to a penalty shoot out, but I once heard someone suggest that the penalty shoot out takes place before the game starts!

The teams would know in advance who would be the winners if the result was to be a draw!

Maybe a good idea, but then where is the motivation to win? Teams could then just throw everything into defence!

Thirteen Ball
21.06.2006, 18:59
Maybe a good idea, but then where is the motivation to win? Teams could then just throw everything into defence!

Exactly.

And with many of the teams in this world cup already employing the flat-back-nine formation to great effect, you'd just wind up with what happened in the euros all over again. Well organised but ultimately dull and unwatchable teams boring their way though better quality opposition by virtue of ultra-defensive strategy.

That isn't what we want to see is it?