PDA

View Full Version : Missing Music Parts - a Co-operative . . . .

Al
29.12.2002, 13:09
I was wondering if there was any mechanism whereby we were able to obtain missing music parts from each other. Where a single part has disappeared we could request a scanned copy via email, for example.

I realise that strictly speaking there may be copyright implications here.

However, I am sure that copyright holders would agree that it is better that their hard worked at music is played with a full band set.

TheMusicMan
29.12.2002, 14:03
I was wondering if there was any mechanism whereby we were able to obtain missing music parts from each other. Where a single part has disappeared we could request a scanned copy via email, for example.

However, I am sure that copyright holders would agree that it is better that their hard worked at music is played with a full band set.

... any music publishers reading this... :?: I think your opinion would be very much appreciated here. I would imagine there are significant copyright implications here.

Do any theMouthPiece.com members know anyone in music publishing they could ask on our behalf :?:

John

Roger Thorne
29.12.2002, 18:43
Al wrote:

My band actually sets aside an amount of money each year to purchase band sets that have become old or have parts missing. We have recently purchased 'Blaydon Races' and 'Radetsky March' which have over the years become rather tatty. And I will be purchasing a new set of 'Carnival Day' by Goff Richards because we have lost the Bb Bass parts.

There has also been talk on our committee about charging players for losing their music! It may also be worth asking your band members to have a good look for missing music at home or in the boot of their car!

As a publisher, I supply lost or missing parts at £1.50 each. So it might be worth contacting other Publishers to see whether or not you can obtain a single copy.

Although I am not an authority on photocopying/scanning of music I have supplied a few points that will be of interest and are usually applicable throughout the music industry.

COPYING PUBLISHED MATERIAL

The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, 1988 confers on individuals and institutions certain rights and imposes certain limitations in respect of copying material in copyright.

In permitted circumstances, all single copying is carried out under the provisions of the Copyright Act and all multiple copying is carried out under the terms of the licence.

It is usually common that users may make photocopies on condition that:
A single copy only is taken off a single original.
The copy is made for the purposes of research or private study only.
A copy of the same item has not previously been supplied to the user.
The copy made will never be transferredto the ownership of another individual.
The copying will not result ‘in copies of substantially the same material being provided to more than one person at substantially the same time and for substantially the same purpose’, commonly known as ‘systematic single copying’.
A copyright declaration form is completed if the copying is carried out by a third party on behalf of the user.

Readers should note that if they make copies which are not allowed under the Act, they are liable to be held personally responsible. Infringement of copyright is a serious offence.

I think that gives us the answer then! :cry:

TheMusicMan
29.12.2002, 18:47
1st class answer as usual Roger... thanks.

Al
30.12.2002, 22:22
Thanks for your reply Roger. You've made me think and I appreciate the feelings of composers/copright owners/publishers.

You own diligence is indeed admirable:

And I will be purchasing a new set of 'Carnival Day' by Goff Richards because we have lost the Bb Bass parts

perhaps this could be placed in the thread on Random Chat - Beyond The Call of Duty :)

Seriously though, copyright has always been a sensitive issue - perhaps all publishers could make it easier to obtain single copies, including all those out of print. In these days of computery I'm sure it could be done.

PS After reading this thread, I wonder if anyone will email you a scanned copy of the Bb bass part for Carnival Day by Goff Richards !

:o :) :)

Roger Thorne
31.12.2002, 00:46
If you don't ask, you don't get! :wink:

But I don't suppose any of us honest, hard working, law abiding Brass Bandy types would indulge in such skulduggery!

:lol:

Fishsta
31.12.2002, 01:38
Y'know, I'm actually quite surprised...

For example, take ELSPA's view on Computer software copyright... you are allowed to make a copy for backup purposes, and the copy is not used at the same time as the original.

I would have thought the same rules applied here... if you've bought the music, you've bought the right to own a copy of the music.

Seems not to be the case. :(

satchmo shaz
31.12.2002, 10:00
happy new year to all, my band Long Eaton are selling lots of spare music. these are duplicate sets that we have aquired over the years and are all originals. we are selling them for £3 a set and lots of them are now out of print. if anyone wants a list of what we;ve got please e mail me. It just might help out with those tatty and missing parts
cheers sharon