PDA

View Full Version : Worst ref so far?

Dave Payn
14.06.2006, 19:31
Graham Poll would have topped the poll for me up until yesterday (he had a shocker officiating S. Korea v Togo) but the officials at the Spain v Ukraine game today took the biscuit. No doubting the far better team won but in the first half, one particular linesman got four out of his five offside calls wrong (all for Ukraine) and the most blatant 'non penalty' I've ever seen given and the Ukrainian defender sent off to add insult to injury!

Who's your 'rough ref'?

madandcrazytromboneguy
15.06.2006, 02:22
that red card for ukraine did the damage, to be fair spain scored some good goals but it werent a fair penalty or sending off, theres been more clear cut penalties not given in the premiership, so if they dont warrant a spot kick then this 1 certainly did not.

to be fair to most of the refs, theres only been a small number of really harsh decisions made so far. the tv guys were commenting on how not many penalties had been given, and to be honest, after all the opening games, i dont think any should have been given, closest 1 for me was that hand ball which didnt get punished but that was hit at his hand pretty fast and it certainly didnt look deliberate!

Andy Moore
15.06.2006, 12:02
that red card for ukraine did the damage, to be fair spain scored some good goals but it werent a fair penalty or sending off, theres been more clear cut penalties not given in the premiership, so if they dont warrant a spot kick then this 1 certainly did not.

to be fair to most of the refs, theres only been a small number of really harsh decisions made so far. the tv guys were commenting on how not many penalties had been given, and to be honest, after all the opening games, i dont think any should have been given, closest 1 for me was that hand ball which didnt get punished but that was hit at his hand pretty fast and it certainly didnt look deliberate!

Video refs I say, a la Rugby League.

Cornishwomble
15.06.2006, 14:52
Video refs I say, a la Rugby League.

The rules of football are designed to be applicable whether you are at the World cup final or Hackney marshes, Video reffing would only create a further schism in football.

I thought the ref for the Spain Vs Ukraine match gave a shocking decision in giving that penalty, it may have been a totally different score had that not been given

Will the Sec
15.06.2006, 17:11
The rules of football are designed to be applicable whether you are at the World cup final or Hackney marshes, Video reffing would only create a further schism in football.

I though that about cricket, Roy, but it hasn't made that much difference. I get shocking decisions no matter WHAT level I play at!

Andy Moore
15.06.2006, 23:03
I just think that any chance of decreasing the amount of wrong decisions in a game would be a good step, expecially at the top lovels. It would also take the pressure off referees to get every decision exactly correct.

For what it's worth, I think the game would be much better off without the arguing with refs too. A cricket-type rule of losing match-fee/wages etc. would improve the standard of refereeing.

Cornishwomble
16.06.2006, 16:01
I just think that any chance of decreasing the amount of wrong decisions in a game would be a good step, expecially at the top lovels. It would also take the pressure off referees to get every decision exactly correct.

For what it's worth, I think the game would be much better off without the arguing with refs too. A cricket-type rule of losing match-fee/wages etc. would improve the standard of refereeing.
I personally don't agree with introducing technology as I think it would affect the purity of football but then when you watch your football in the Ryman premier as I do then these things don't affect my team.

However totally agree with the arguing with referee point. It's east to stop it, if anybody apart from the captain of a team approaches the ref when a decision is made then book them, there will be hell up to start with but within a couple of seasons it would stop. It's just down to whether FIFA are brave enough to make that call

Andy Moore
17.06.2006, 17:22
I personally don't agree with introducing technology as I think it would affect the purity of football but then when you watch your football in the Ryman premier as I do then these things don't affect my team.

However totally agree with the arguing with referee point. It's east to stop it, if anybody apart from the captain of a team approaches the ref when a decision is made then book them, there will be hell up to start with but within a couple of seasons it would stop. It's just down to whether FIFA are brave enough to make that call

There's no reason why they shouldn't IMO.

andywooler
23.06.2006, 16:55
Absolutely no contest now on this one!
You could of course create a POLL to find out what people think ;)

dyl
23.06.2006, 17:03
Absolutely no contest now on this one!
You could of course create a POLL to find out what people think ;)

Hehe! As long as you don't ask Poll himself to count the results! http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showpost.php?p=408203&postcount=6

dyl
25.06.2006, 23:21
Has to be the ref from the Portugal v Holland match. I'm guessing he's just had his birthday and had some new yellow and red cards to play with?

Straightmute
26.06.2006, 01:06
Has to be the ref from the Portugal v Holland match. I'm guessing he's just had his birthday and had some new yellow and red cards to play with?

Made Graham Poll look positively efficient. Hopefully the guy has made the next round slightly better for England...

2nd man down
26.06.2006, 13:11
I've never seen a game decend in to such a farce as much as the Holland v Portugal game did, and 99% of it down to the referee.

Another Muppet. That's kermit and Rolf we've got...any more?

andyp
26.06.2006, 13:26
There's no reason why they shouldn't IMO.

Hockey (definitely) and rugby union (I think) have had this system in for ages, you see it on the live rugby many times, ref calls captain over and says "any more of that and someone will go in the bin", result (usually) players calm down a bit. The level of abuse refs get in football has always amazed me, in hockey if you swore at the ref it'd be a straight yellow and 10 mins or more off the pitch, no messing. In fact I collected my only green card (warning) in 10 years of playing hockey for swearing at myself in frustration!