PDA

View Full Version : News from Wolverton Town Band

Chunky
07.06.2006, 14:47
Wolverton Town Band are currently enjoying themselves under new Musical Director Jonathan Mott. In March the band contested for the first time in a number of years and enjoyed so much are entered for the Wychavon contest later this year.

The band has also just returned from their first ever overseas visit to the Belgian town of Ploegsteert.

Ploegsteert is famous as a World War One site where a number of British servicemen died. The Ploegsteert Memorial commemorates more than 11,000 British and South African Servicemen who died in the area during the First World War who have no known grave.

One of these servicemen was a 16 year old from Wolverton called Albert French. Letters have recently been found and hence the link between Ploegsteert and Wolverton.

The band was invited by Wolverton & Greenleys Town Council to play at the commemorations.

So 27 members of Wolverton Town Band joined by 15 Wolverton residents and 10 Wolverton councillors set off to Ploegsteert for a night of music, celebrations and of course some Belgian Beer and dancing!

Upon arrival Wolverton marched through the town alongside their Belgian counterparts ‘The Ploegsteert Harmonies Brass Band’ to the sports hall where Wolverton played a 45 minute celebratory concert to cement the relationship. During this concert which was attended by local Belgian MP’s the Wolverton / Ploegsteert Twinning Charter was signed.

The friendship between the two bands will now continue, as the band from Ploegsteert will be travelling to the UK in 2007 to take part in Wolverton’s annual summer festival ‘Its In the Square’.

Lucy Bedford of Wolverton Band informs us that the weekend was ‘very uplifting and exhilarating weekend’

It seems Wolverton Band are very much a progressing band and have made many new friends this year. Like all bands they are looking for players, particularly trombones, cornets and percussion.

To see photos from the visit, vacancies and the band in general please visit www.wolvertontownband.co.uk or call 0845 225 0464

With thanks to Lucy Bedford.

steve_r
10.06.2006, 11:21
Hi

I was brought up in wolverton (although I am afraid I played for the opposition in Bradwell Silver) but its good to see the band picking up again and I hope they continue to progress.

I have sort of followed the Albert French story and if anyone wants more background it is here

http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/la/

Steve