PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Favourite Test Pieces - The CD!

dyl
01.06.2006, 00:19
Top 10 Favourite Test Pieces - The CD!

In addition to the main announcement on your 100 favourite test pieces, here (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21675), we would also like to announce an extremely exciting collaboration between tMP, the reigning National Champions of Great Britain, the Leyland Band under the musical direction of Russell Gray, and recording company, KMJ Recordings.

This collaboration brings together the views of banders from all over the world, the recording expertise of a renowned company and the professionalism and musicality of Russell Gray and Leyland, to give you the definitive brass band recording containing the Top 10 pieces from tMP's Favourite Test Piece poll of 2006.

To be released on two CD's, the first of which which will be recorded during September, for a release in time for Christmas, will see Leyland and Russell record the following ten pieces for the two CD set: Spectrum, Blitz, 'Harmony Music, Contest Music, Extreme Makeover, St Magnus, Resurgam, The Year of the Dragon, Paganini Variations and the favourite test piece as voted by tMP members for the last two surveys, Eric Ball's Journey Into Freedom.

Commenting on the project, Gary Westwood, Leyland Band's Chairman, says "The Band is thrilled about taking part with theMouthPiece.com in this exciting project. The pieces chosen as the Top Ten by tMP members contain music that has given Leyland Band success in the past, including a win at the 1991 North West Area Championship with the number one choice Journey Into Freedom, and we’re very much looking forward to working on new readings with our Musical Director, Russell Gray.”

Keith Johnson from KMJ Recordings adds “KMJ Recordings is delighted to announced that working alongside them for this exciting project is renowned Engineer, Iestyn Rees.

Mr Rees is well known in classical music recording, having recorded most of the major orchestras and leading performers in the World’s most prestigious venues – many of them led by the foremost Conductors. Amongst his client list are the Berlin Philharmonic, London Symphony and City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestras, Frank Lloyd (French horn), Julian Lloyd Webber (cello), Joshua Bell (violin), Claudio Abbado, Sir Simon Rattle and so on.

Amongst his arguably more famous projects, Mr Rees was involved in the recording of the Three Tenors at Wembley, along with the subsequent post-production for Classic FM’s radio broadcast 24 hours later. Additionally, he undertook similar tasks for the World Premieres of Karl Jenkins’ “Adiemus” and “The Armed Man” from London’s Royal Albert Hall.

Although much of Mr Rees’ output has been in the orchestral field (he has also made significant contributions in the rock and pop world as well with clients as diverse as All Saints, Fleetwood Mac and Robbie Williams!), he has been known to play both the tenor and French Horns – and thoroughly enjoyed his experience of Year of the Dragon on Rotary Valves!

It’s a great honour to be asked by John Burns to be involved with this recording that archives the views of the voting members of tMP. It’s also a great privilege to be working again with the superlative musicians of Leyland Band and Russell Gray, and I’m thrilled that Iestyn Rees has also agreed to work with KMJ Recordings on this release.”

John Burns, owner of tMP said "The tMP Top 100 Favourite Test Pieces poll from which these ten pieces have arisen has proven extremely popular, and to bring together the current National Champion Band and KMJ Recordings to turn a poll into a real, professional recording seemed absolutely the right thing to do. To have the opportunity to work with such professional people as Russell Gray and Leyland Band, together with Keith Johnson of KMJ Recordings is simply fantastic for theMouthPiece.com, and I am thrilled to be able to do this."

Everyone at tMP is extremely thrilled about this latest project, and we trust that you will all be as excited as we are and looking forward to hearing the results of this fabulous collaboration.

"tMP World's 100 Favourite Test Piece Poll" Copyright © 2006 - the MouthPiece.com - All Rights Reserved

MRSH
01.06.2006, 00:25
OMG:eek:. I'm speechless.

This is fantastic. What a brilliant idea and what a CD this is going to be.

I cannot wait.

And what a band to be involved. :clap:

PeterBale
01.06.2006, 01:45
That's quite a coup, and should be a recording worth having.

Now, if you want someone to review it . . . . . . ;)

tam-tam2
01.06.2006, 02:02
Hey, even I might buy that!! Although, if it had had Tournament for Brass on it I would have bought two!! Can I call for a recount Dyl? Only joking. Congratulations on the whole package, it has obviously taken a lot of hard work.

Liz Courts
01.06.2006, 08:38
Awww, cool! I'm definitely going to be buying it - I actually only have Spectrum as a recording at the moment, so it'll be well worth it! :D

Congratulations and good luck with it! :clap:

KMJ Recordings
01.06.2006, 08:42
Hey, even I might buy that!! Although, if it had had Tournament for Brass on it I would have bought two!! Can I call for a recount Dyl? Only joking. Congratulations on the whole package, it has obviously taken a lot of hard work.
Wasn't it a condition of signup that if this kind of thing happened, you had to buy four and distribute to (non-member) relatives during the festive season? ;) :biggrin:

Joking aside, it's a fantastic thing to be involved in - made even better by Blitz and Year of the Dragon being in the list!

Jan H
01.06.2006, 08:51
Fantastic idea John!
Is there already a planned release day? Will it be ready for the Christmas and New Year Holidays?

And it seams like the players of Leyland already know what they'll be doing during the summer... ;-)

KMJ Recordings
01.06.2006, 09:39
Fantastic idea John!
Is there already a planned release day? Will it be ready for the Christmas and New Year Holidays?

And it seams like the players of Leyland already know what they'll be doing during the summer... ;-)

There's no formal planned release date, yet, Jan, but it's our intention to try and make Volume 1 available for Christmas with Volume 2 being made available sometime in Q1 next year. This is purely down to available rehearsal time and availability of the Band (as you'll appreciate, recording CDs like this is a mammoth undertaking and due to it's nature, each of the volumes will be recorded in contiguous sessions, rather than tagging one piece onto another recording and putting them all together at the end).

As to which pieces will be on which Volume..... ;)

TheMusicMan
01.06.2006, 09:52
As long as Spectrum is on the 1st... more on that later!!

KMJ Recordings
01.06.2006, 09:56
I'll see what I can do ;)

jim
01.06.2006, 14:20
Wicked I wanna play on that one!! need a dep!

Matt-Trom939
01.06.2006, 14:44
Although i already have recordings of Spectrum, Extreme Makeover, Resurgam, The Year of the Dragon and Paganini Variations ill still get one.

Matt-Trom939
01.06.2006, 14:46
Oooo actually if u put all the ones i just said i had on one volume and the others on the other volume then i would just have to buy one of the volumes....think about it....

KMJ Recordings
01.06.2006, 14:54
Oooo actually if u put all the ones i just said i had on one volume and the others on the other volume then i would just have to buy one of the volumes....think about it....

Hmm. And my business motivation to cause you to want to buy only one of two would be...?

I've thought about it....No :biggrin: ;)

Actually, the musical and artistic decisions such as what goes on where are made collaboratively by the Producer(s) and the MD. The two main factors they've got to consider I guess are getting a balanced programme for each CD and secondly the technical feasibility of rehearsal and getting the material committed to tape in the available timescale.

TheMusicMan
01.06.2006, 15:00
The two main factors they've got to consider I guess are getting a balanced programme for each CD and secondly the technical feasibility of rehearsal and getting the material committed to tape in the available timescale.... and the fact that the sponsor wants Spectrum on the first CD... :):)

KMJ Recordings
01.06.2006, 15:08
Sorry, did somebody say something? :D

I'm sure the tracklist will be built around it ;)

stephenmrry
01.06.2006, 15:30
Hey that sounds like a great idea to have all those great pieces in one collaboration a fantastic idea! Well done all!!!

Cornishwomble
01.06.2006, 16:33
Whats' the chances of the CD being downloadable for those of us who don't buy CDs any more. And if it is downloadable would you be able to buy single tracks?

TheMusicMan
01.06.2006, 16:39
Whats' the chances of the CD being downloadable for those of us who don't buy CDs any more. And if it is downloadable would you be able to buy single tracks?The tMP Top Ten Favourite Test Pieces CD ©tmp 2006 will be available to purchase on tMP in the normal CD format and in MP3 downloadable format.

Unsure yet as to if individual tracks will be made available though. Quite possibly, but not 100% certain. I will advise as soon as we have more information. I am also likely to run a pre-order service too. More details will be forthcoming as I put the fine detail together.

Baritonedeaf
01.06.2006, 19:53
I want one!!!! :-D

KMJ Recordings
01.06.2006, 20:18
I want one!!!! :-D

Don't you mean 3 ;)

You'll be pleased to know it'll be the full blown (groan) bottle version of Extreme Makeover as well.

Matt-Trom939
01.06.2006, 22:01
=You'll be pleased to know it'll be the full blown (groan) bottle version of Extreme Makeover as well.

YES! Although i do already have two copies of this version. Oh well one more wont hurt...

Craigsav83
01.06.2006, 23:26
What a great idea - a helluva project though!

Oh, does anyone fancy doing the 11-20 placed pieces on volume two?? :-)

KMJ Recordings
01.06.2006, 23:31
That'll be volumes 3 & 4 Craig (5 pieces per Volume).

I'll accept applications now :D

Baritonedeaf
02.06.2006, 13:59
Don't you mean 3 ;)

You'll be pleased to know it'll be the full blown (groan) bottle version of Extreme Makeover as well.

Thank goodness for that! I look forward to hearing the good chaps in the Leyland percussion section tackle Extreme Makeover :-D

Steve Marcus
03.06.2006, 23:20
What will the price of the CDs be in $USD? Will they be ordered for shipment to the US from KMJ, World of Brass, tMP, or all of the above?

TheMusicMan
03.06.2006, 23:23
They will be available direct from tMP both in CD and downloadable MP3 format - and yes, I will ship to the US. We will perhaps also distribute via a few other vendors... ;) discussions are underway.

KMJ Recordings
06.06.2006, 14:52
A quick public word of thanks to Mr Sparke and Dr Wilby for their assistance behind the scenes this morning - it's much appreciated. :D

Redhorn
06.11.2006, 13:25
Is this project still happening? Will there be a release 'in time for Christmas'?..

Sopha
13.11.2006, 12:29
so what we talking about here??

Seedhouse
13.11.2006, 16:43
Dyl's extensive post on the first page of the thread pretty much explains it all... what else do you need to know!? :confused:

Any details on planned release etc? :D

Sopha
13.11.2006, 16:44
cant be bothered to read that TOO long!!!!!!!!!!

Redhorn
13.11.2006, 18:16
Much easier to spam, eh Sopha!!?? ;-)

Anyway, whats the news on this project? I assume by the silence its no longer happening???....

dyl
13.11.2006, 18:17
An update will be posted later...............

TheMusicMan
13.11.2006, 23:36
Update:

I would like to inform everyone that the tMP Top Ten Test Piece CD is most certainly still very much on the cards, and we are 100% committed to continuing with this project.

However, the logistics and detailed planning involved in embarking on such a massive undertaking have proven very difficult and time consuming - which essentially means... we need more time to ensure we do the professional and top class job you would all expect of us at tMP.

Many people here on tMP know me, and are perhaps aware of my enthusiasm and passion to get things done... but unfortunately, although enthusiasm is infectious - it doesn't always end up with these things actually getting done within the time-scales I initially had in mind. This is my fault entirely; too much enthusiasm and inexperience on my part in these matters I guess :) but you can't fault me for trying at least eh?

Anyway, we're still in discussions with the same good people, we are working with the same excellent and highly talented team, we have the same pieces et al (of course), but my sincere apologies, and especially to those good folk who I know were looking forward to such a compilation in time for Christmas '06 - unfortunately the CD won't be this side of the New Year I'm afraid.

All I can say right now is that 1st quarter '07 is the current anticipated plan for resumption of the project. We put a lot of effort into the compilation of the top ten test pieces poll, especially our very own Dyl to whom we are all very grateful, so please stay with us on this project and eventually I am certain you'll all be treated to an entertaining and exceptionally high standard test piece CD.

Ta....

timps
27.08.2009, 17:35
Did this ever happen?

KMJ Recordings
27.08.2009, 18:58
Did this ever happen?

Due to various logistcal reasons, unfortunately not.

I'd still like to do something along these lines...but having moved with the times we'd probably have to explore alternatives to those in the original post.

Independent Silver Band
27.08.2009, 19:23
I am not sure what all of this means about test pieces etc. but judging from the enthuisiasm generated by this thread, it must be a worthwhile project. My question is, what can those of us in the hinterlands do to help?

brassneck
28.08.2009, 16:33
I'd forgotten all about this ... what alternatives are being considered if the test piece option is on the back burner?

KMJ Recordings
28.08.2009, 17:00
We're more than happy to go with the test pieces, Tom

If we got a Band capable of delivering - and I mean that with the greatest of respect as performing these things would be no mean feat - and a venue in which to record them in, I'd put it in the first available slot...

brassneck
28.08.2009, 22:34
We're more than happy to go with the test pieces, Tom

If we got a Band capable of delivering - and I mean that with the greatest of respect as performing these things would be no mean feat - and a venue in which to record them in, I'd put it in the first available slot...

Arrange a charity recording ... with a little going to tMP ... comprising of top players who are willing to support the project ... maybe a local council would supply a venue for the cause?

KMJ Recordings
28.08.2009, 22:39
Thought about that one - the issue then becomes rehearsal time for the Band on pieces of such magnitude, and the commitment then becomes correspondingly much larger....I never discounted it completely, but I think it may prove difficult to co-ordinate.

brassneck
28.08.2009, 22:45
Thought about that one - the issue then becomes rehearsal time for the Band on pieces of such magnitude, and the commitment then becomes correspondingly much larger....I never discounted it completely, but I think it may prove difficult to co-ordinate.

Then how did the Virtuosi Band manage to get together as often as they did? :rolleyes:

KMJ Recordings
28.08.2009, 22:48
By having someone who knew what they were doing? :D

;)

brassneck
28.08.2009, 22:51
By having someone who knew what they were doing? :D

;)

... and they still rattled out a few major works at short notice! :wink:

KMJ Recordings
28.08.2009, 22:53
From 4BR, an example playlist reads:

1. Perseus, March, G. Hawkins, 2.36
2. Der Freischutz, Overture, Weber, arr. W. Hallowell, 9.09
3. Rusalka's Song to the Moon, Soprano Cornet Solo, Soloist: Brian Evans,
Dvorak, arr. S. Corbett, 6.35
4. Ballet Egyptien, Ballen Music, Luigini, arr. D. Rimmer, 13.41
5. Rondoletto for Two Euphoniums, Euphonium Duet, Soloists: Trevor Groom &
John Clough, F. Bryce, 3.46
6. A Moorside Suite, Symphonic Suite, G. Holst, 14.17
7. September Fantasy, Tenor Horn Solo, Soloist: Gordon Higginbottom, Eric
Ball, 7.04
8. The Middy, March, K. Alford, 2.52

which, IMHO, doesn't really read like the list that was on this thread ;)

KMJ Recordings
28.08.2009, 22:56
(granted that's a compilation I think)

brassneck
28.08.2009, 22:59
From 4BR, an example playlist reads:

which, IMHO, doesn't really read like the list that was on this thread ;)

The first album conducted by Eric Ball? Possibly what they thought was commercial at that time. They also added ditties such as L'Roy d'Ys, An Epic Symphony, Three Figures, Oliver Cromwell, Lorenzo etc. on the follow-up albums! :cool::tup

KMJ Recordings
28.08.2009, 23:02
I'll let you off then ;)

I really think there's mileage in some kind of recording of these pieces in one place and not being limited to one band does open up some interesting possibilities in itself.....more to think about....

brassneck
28.08.2009, 23:07
I'll let you off then ;)

I really think there's mileage in some kind of recording of these pieces in one place and not being limited to one band does open up some interesting possibilities in itself.....more to think about....

The only thing that caught me when I bought these albums back then was that they sounded like a scratch band, you know, a bit sterile!

KMJ Recordings
28.08.2009, 23:15
I guess that's what I was getting at - what I'd want to avoid is a recording of just the dots...in order to provide decent musical performances as well, I reckon some serious rehearsal time would be required...or we might end up with another recording by numbers that sounds well sight read, assembly line production rather than having substance...and I'd be anxious to avoid that as there are plenty of those already.

brassneck
28.08.2009, 23:21
I guess that's what I was getting at - what I'd want to avoid is a recording of just the dots...in order to provide decent musical performances as well, I reckon some serious rehearsal time would be required...or we might end up with another recording by numbers that sounds well sight read, assembly line production rather than having substance...and I'd be anxious to avoid that as there are plenty of those already.

That was then, Keith! Players today are more able to move seamlessly among ensemble types and music genres. In the top bands, less rehearsal time is needed for major contests as well. I would expect better performances now than back then.

KMJ Recordings
28.08.2009, 23:25
So would I...but I've got high expectations ;)

brassneck
28.08.2009, 23:32
So would I...but I've got high expectations ;)

So would most! I still think it would work, given that the players would already be familiar with the test-pieces. It's just finding a musical director who could quickly forge interpretation.