PDA

View Full Version : The Senior Trophy - live from Blackpool

TheMusicMan
13.05.2006, 11:22
tMP team interviews, gossip and discussion on the 4BR retrospective of each bands performance.

Keep watching!!

Alan Fernie
13.05.2006, 21:34
Great result for Craig Anderson and Kingdom Brass - a band full of excellent and experienced players, and a fine reward for years of consistency. Wasn't there - babysitting/Scottish Cup final (happy and relieved Jambo!), but brilliant news. Big Sandell will still be greeetin'!!

Andy_Euph
14.05.2006, 00:59
I think Mossley band can feel a bit hard done by, they played with a good sound on a day where a number of bands chose to razz their preverbials off (this approach doesn't work in the spanish hall), some very good playing and compared to some other performances I heard I didn't think it was that low down.

Well done to my mate John who played sop, he played a blinder.

Also well done to Chester le Street and Horden (both had some super euph playing, and in Horden's case the judges agreed :biggrin: )

PeterBale
14.05.2006, 02:49
Well done to all at Staines - I reckoned you would shake things up a bit, now roll on the Albert Hall!

JTKBrass
14.05.2006, 04:13
Great result for Craig Anderson and Kingdom Brass - a band full of excellent and experienced players, and a fine reward for years of consistency. Wasn't there - babysitting/Scottish Cup final (happy and relieved Jambo!), but brilliant news. Big Sandell will still be greeetin'!!

Cheers Alan, superb result for the band in a really strong field, and we can't give enough praise and credit to Craig for shaping the piece in only the handful of rehearsals we had after coming back from our German tour. The Trophy's sitting in my flat next to me now having been filled with various drinks on the way back up over the border.

Well done to the Jambo's too !

Heather
14.05.2006, 15:43
Bit surprised (and disappointed) at our 11th place!!
We thought we played really well and had lots of positive comments from the people who heard us.....the adjudicators comments were ok too (even us Baritones got a mention!!) AND we got good comments from 4barsrest!
In such a strong field of Bands we didn't necessarily expect to come in the frame ..but I thought 11th was harsh.

Anyway, well done to the top 4 and all the best next year in the Senior Cup.

dtb
14.05.2006, 15:59
Having just read the "live" crits on 4bars rest and been present through most of the Senior trophy contest I've got to say whoever was doing the crit must have spent a while in the galleon because most of the remarks were seriously off the mark. I thought Kingdom Brass were the best performance of the day by a fair margin and Staines a close second then BHK Horden and Laganvale following on from there. I was not too far from the Adjudicators thoughts, however it just proves that adjudication should be left to the professionals and not the self appointed. Well done to the top 4 in each contest.

Straightmute
14.05.2006, 16:21
We were pleased with sixth and the very positive feedback from the adjudicators and folks who had heard us, and of course it's great to know that we'll be back next year! 4barsrest thought we sounded tired by the end but Mr Gourlay said it was good that we 'saved the biggest sound for the end' and Mr Brownbill thought the ending was made up of 'impressive and imposing sounds' - funny how honest opinions of the same performance can differ so much!

We possibly took Essence a touch slower than most, for the sake of clarity and the overall shape of the piece, and apart from a couple of wobbly moments for the soloists it all ran according to plan and made a pleasing contrast after the disappointment of the area result.

Congratulations to all at Kingdom Brass. John T looked extremely emotional when I last saw him, walking diagonally across the foyer, but there was no danger of him dropping that trophy!

D

JTKBrass
14.05.2006, 16:32
Congratulations to all at Kingdom Brass. John T looked extremely emotional when I last saw him, walking diagonally across the foyer, but there was no danger of him dropping that trophy!

D

Haha cheers David, we were all very happy about that one yesterday. Band's put in some serious hard work over the past few years and that was it paying off at last.

I was emotional cos I had just got a pint when Craig Anderson starting screaming we had won, then it was just bedlam in the Galleon Bar and every last drop of it got split !!!!

Great day for Scotland though, lifting the Kirin Cup and the Senior Trophy :-)

eckyboy
14.05.2006, 16:43
Fantastic Result, I thought the standard was very high and was chuffed to bits when I heard the results.

HBB
14.05.2006, 17:44
Woooooooo! We were the worst band at the whole contest - go Welwyn! :)

satchmo shaz
14.05.2006, 18:48
we really tried hard to beat yer;)

megga
14.05.2006, 21:01
What a day, and what a fantastic result for Kingdom Brass and Craig Anderson. As has already been said, just reward I think for all the hard work that's been going on through an extremely busy few months for the band.
Roll on the next contest! Oh and by the way John, that pint you were on about went all over my jacket. Who cares, WE WON!

Charmed
15.05.2006, 07:14
Congratulations to Kingdom Brass, I never heard you play but you obviously gave what the audjudicators wanted. :clap:

What a day, and what a fantastic result for Kingdom Brass and Craig Anderson. As has already been said, just reward I think for all the hard work that's been going on through an extremely busy few months for the band.
Roll on the next contest! Oh and by the way John, that pint you were on about went all over my jacket. Who cares, WE WON!

If competitions were won on 'hard work' then 'just rewards' would be for every band to win, don't you think? ;)

megga
15.05.2006, 12:20
If competitions were won on 'hard work' then 'just rewards' would be for every band to win, don't you think? ;)

Aye, ok then! Point taken:rolleyes:

Lauradoll
15.05.2006, 12:59
What a great weekend. Was great to catch up with so many people. Yippy yippy.

Straightmute
15.05.2006, 20:18
...and why the anonimity at 4barsrest this year? They have always campaigned for openness and clarity so this seems a backwards step in my opinion.

Having said that, if I'd penned the following line about St Austell's performance:

"A mixed bag here. Untidy ensemble but the ensemble work is good"

I'd probably keep quiet about it too.

dtb
15.05.2006, 22:43
What a great weekend. Was great to catch up with so many people. Yippy yippy.'You know Laura, just once I'd like to have a conversation with you where at least one of us is sober!!!!:biggrin:

Tinkabell
15.05.2006, 23:05
we really tried hard to beat yer;)

Oh yes, and that was after our three circuits round the winter gardens trying to find the rest of the band!

bassinthebathroom
15.05.2006, 23:40
...and why the anonimity at 4barsrest this year? They have always campaigned for openness and clarity so this seems a backwards step in my opinion.

Having said that, if I'd penned the following line about St Austell's performance:

"A mixed bag here. Untidy ensemble but the ensemble work is good"

I'd probably keep quiet about it too.

Couldn't agree more David. I read this to my sister (Solo Horn) over the phone, and I think her response was something like "Shows how much attention they were paying by that point in the day then!" (They played last band on)
Perhaps it's one of those Welsh grammatical points? Does ensemble have two meanings that side of the border? :p

satchmo shaz
16.05.2006, 00:02
Oh yes, and that was after our three circuits round the winter gardens trying to find the rest of the band!
WISH WE HAD BEEN Sponsored, we'd have made a fortune for charity, I lost half a stone;) .......... honestly I have done longer marathons !!:biggrin:

Lauradoll
16.05.2006, 10:47
4barsrest said:

Bass drum goes bonkers to start and ruins what what could have been a good opening. It recovers with some good playing. This was careless.

James Gourlay said:

Very good opening, lots of detailed playing.

Malcolm Brownbill said:

Good opening supplying lots of clear detail.

What a difference that box must make eh!!

TheMusicMan
16.05.2006, 11:51
Whoever is in the box, whoever does other reviews, the comparitive results are always going to be this way Laura.

You will of course get some that match 100%, others that match 0%, with a healthy mixture in between. That is, unfortunately, what you will always get with an adjudication system that is absolutely, indisputably and entirely subjective. There can be no other way with such a system, as no human ear will hear the same thing in exactly the same way at the same time. There are too many variables.

Until there is some form of objective measurement in our adjudication system, such as the brilliant start at this Alan Morrisson has recently presented, perception of competition results will always be thus.

Lauradoll
16.05.2006, 12:50
I agree totally, and I'm not moaning, I just though it was funny to see such a massive contrast!

Anyway it was great to catch up with so many people, I was so pleased for Kingdom Brass, get in! I can't believe that only a wee while before the results I'd just said to Kerry and Carol "won't you feel silly if you win and you're not in the photo" because I was trying to get them to stay a bit longer and they said "Nah, like we're going to win like" before toddling off to the hotel......

Bungle
16.05.2006, 13:22

Until there is some form of objective measurement in our adjudication system, such as the brilliant start at this Alan Morrisson has recently presented, perception of competition results will always be thus.

Alan recently adjudicated the SCABA Hove contest and we assumed he would be following his criteria published in the article in the Bandsman (or was it brass band world). We were happy coming second in our section, but LGB and Sussex Brass may have something to say about the result.

We had his article read out to us at a rehearsal and the general gist was that you don't have to play to the exact tempo and dynamics as long as the detail and flow is still there. Which I think is a good thing.

Meg
16.05.2006, 18:51
I was pleased to see Thoresby promoted, not because I know anyone in the band (I don't!) but I heard them play and thought they gave a brilliant performance. Real hair-on-the-back-of-the-neck-stands-on-end stuff! Well done. Also well done to Staines.

Heather
16.05.2006, 22:03
I agree about Thoresby too. I heard 10 bands play altogether, before and after ourselves and thought Thoresby were the best I heard, closely followed by Marsden. I didn't hear Kingdom Brass so can't comment.

BOB
16.05.2006, 23:23
Heather and Meg,

Thank you so much for your positive comments about our performance - It's nice to hear fellow competitors being so complimentory. A personal thanks for our stand in principal cornet, Andrew Smith from Celynen Colliery (Newbridge)- top drawer performance despite severe exhaustion !!

Bob
Thoresby Colliery

Meg
17.05.2006, 19:16
Heather and Meg,

Thank you so much for your positive comments about our performance - It's nice to hear fellow competitors being so complimentory.

You're welcome (although I wasn't strictly a competitor as I was in the Cup but that's splitting hairs I guess)! Yours and Staines were the only performances I heard in the Trophy and thought both were very good, although I thought yours had the edge slightly, (more contrast in dynamics I think) but hey, what do I know?! Still pleased to see Staines promoted, as a fellow L&SC-er.

Best of luck in the Cup next year.