PDA

View Full Version : The Senior Cup - live from Blackpool

TheMusicMan
13.05.2006, 10:22
tMP team interviews, gossip and discussion on the 4BR retrospective of each bands performance.

Keep watching!!

ComputerBloke
13.05.2006, 21:04
Sounds like there were some really good efforts on a difficult piece.
I'm pleased with our result, I think it's pretty fair. ;)

Congrats to the winners, commiserations to the others, there's always another year :):):)

TheMusicMan
14.05.2006, 00:00
OK, so did you all agree with what was posted on 4Br regarding your performances? Let's have some feedback.

Seedhouse
14.05.2006, 17:57
Hi John, nice to meet you and Sparkly on Saturday! ;)
Thank you for the comments on Newstead, winning yesterday was absolutely fantastic- hopefully erase the controversy from the Area and prove that we're on top form this year!
Was good to read your balanced and fair views, hope this 4BR and tMP partnership continues to prosper, but pity about the lack of wireless activity! :D
Well done guys! ;)

TheMusicMan
14.05.2006, 18:27
Thanks Alex, you too. Glad you felt the comments on 4BR were fair and accurate.

Seedhouse
14.05.2006, 21:05
*whispers* My cheques in the post now then John... ;)
Nah, only joking! Hope you and Sparkly enjoyed your adjudicating experiences, seemed to be doing so when I saw you! Like I said before, hope you get chance for another collaboration with the 4BR team :D:tup

HUDDSBASSBONE
15.05.2006, 08:01
Well done to all for the contest on Saturday. Went along and watched several of the bands and there were a few good performances and more than a few poor performances. Yet againthough, I think they got the pieces the wrong way round - similar to around 3 or 4 years ago with Paganini and Tallis Variations. I think Harmony music is far harder than Whitsun Wakes, and judging by the performances I heard, it was certainly more than a test and a half for some bands.
Anyway, that aside, I'm surprised that Skelmanthorpe didn't come further up the results - thought they played very well, lots of detail (apart from the first couple of bars...) and a good overall sound. Same with Wingates - thought they played a good performance as well.

Well done to all who took part. Looking forward to next year!

P.S. Well done to the poor girl who had to keep correcting the signs after we'd had been changing the letters round to make rude words. You were a superstar!

paddo
15.05.2006, 09:21
Anyway, that aside, I'm surprised that Skelmanthorpe didn't come further up the results - thought they played very well, lots of detail (apart from the first couple of bars...) and a good overall sound.

cheers for the remarks, yes apart from the couple of bars at the opening we thought (including our MD John) that it was a good, well balanced performance. Not disapointed at all with the perorfmance.

We did think we may get a little higher but a good weekend had by all.

Well done to all bands that competed, although not sure why they have moved the contest forward again next year. As a wedding photographer with bookings in to 2008 the moving of some of these contests is proving to be a little bit of a nightmere!

well done all

Paddo

ComputerBloke
15.05.2006, 09:35
Yeah, I thought the comments were pretty fair - I didn't have an especially good day :(

But once the band got setlled down, I thought we were clear, controlled and exciting. As the comments said, the cadenzas and opening spoiled it for us.

I think the placing was pretty fair, although I didn't hear any of the other bands - I estimated about 7th for us based solely on how I thought we played (we got 8th in the end), so it was pretty close - that's banding for you :D

Ste69
15.05.2006, 11:41
Yeah - I was happy with our comments from 4BR. They painted a mostly accurate picture.
Loved the "sit back and enjoy" comment.:D

I think we came off stage knowing it could have been better than 6th but that's contesting
I guess. 19th draw makes it a long day also I suppose. See you all next year eh?:)

ps - loved the changing letters on the sign in the bar - genius!!!:clap:

cornetblower
15.05.2006, 12:14
4BR comments were spot on for us. Definitely not our best performance, but thats contesting. Well done to the winners.

yorkie19
15.05.2006, 12:50
Yeah - I was happy with our comments from 4BR. They painted a mostly accurate picture.
Loved the "sit back and enjoy" comment.:D

I think we came off stage knowing it could have been better than 6th but that's contesting
I guess. 19th draw makes it a long day also I suppose. See you all next year eh?:)

ps - loved the changing letters on the sign in the bar - genius!!!:clap:

Here, here. I appreciated the round of applause from Hatfield as well on Saturday morning after I finished packing the boot of the bus.

boover
15.05.2006, 13:14
Hope everyone liked my kerplunk interlude the middle of our perfomance, got a nice mention off both adjudicators in their comments...."percussion sticks solo not welcome!"(F.Renton). I think that mistake will haunt me for a while yet! Still nice to see it didn't distract from the great playing from the band......Grand shield next year...woohoo!!

blakeyboy
15.05.2006, 13:33
I agree with soe of the comments about the test pieces being the wrong way around (maybe) and yes it was evident in some performances, I only heard a few other bands. Well done to qualifiers. Unfortunately I missed the elation of hearing the results, darn! Too busy catching up with Shaz and Vicky in the bar and numerous other riddings and thoresby players (and Emma, ain't seen you in about 3 years, what a suprise!) numerous others too.

Thanks for all the lovely comments from the people I spoke to after we had played, guess they were right. 4bars comments were really good too, appreciated them a lot too, its about time.

Two wins on the trot eh, it's been a great start to the year.

Well done to everyone again on Harmony Music

See you in the Grand Shield :clap:

TheMusicMan
15.05.2006, 13:39
Glad to read you thought the 4BR comments were good Blake.

lewis
15.05.2006, 19:46
I think it's fair to say that the 4bars reporter had us a lot further down that 4th, but everybody is welcome to their opinions (and I promise I'm not being sarcastic).

aqua76
15.05.2006, 19:58
Cant comment on anyone elses remarks, but the band i was down with felt that the remarks from Frank Renton were extremely critical,very few comments of praise. This was in complete contrast to Stephen Mead who actually seemed to make very constructive remarks.

Maybe two completely different adjudicating styles but i know which one i prefered!!!

lewis
15.05.2006, 20:00
Ours were very similar. Maybe Frank got out the wrong side of bed on Saturday morning ;)

aqua76
15.05.2006, 20:05
Who knows, im not going to speculate though!!!

I just know the band were very disappointed, its an extremely difficult piece but to receive such adjudication just added to the disappointment of just missing out on a place in the Grand Shield.

Pierre
15.05.2006, 20:07
Snap!!!! Mr Mead positive and complimentary about some areas that Mr Renton was not impressed with! I wonder if they were both listening to us or did the comments get mixed up???

aqua76
15.05.2006, 21:10
It's a shame, i just wonder what the remarks were like for the bands a bit further down!!

Anyway, i suppose all the adjudicators have their own criteria, and areas for commenting on. It is nice to get constructive criticism so the band can go away and improve these areas, rather than remarks such as 'this p was mp....'

All over for another year, must say it was great to be spectating and adjudicating the cider rather than playing....woo hoo!!!

YorkshireBloke
15.05.2006, 21:26
Considering how difficult a year we had in 2005, we were pleased with our performance. Plenty to build on now that weve got a settled team again. Just a few clips, but Harmony Music is a real test for any band.

Thanks to Blackpool brass and Dave Hall for use of their bandroom for our rehearsal.

Enjoyed the day, the atmosphere was great, the football went down well in the Theatre Bar (even those who dont like football seemed to enjoy the match!!), and a good evening in the curry house to boot.

A great weekends banding! Well done to those who were promoted.

Paul
Innovate Skelmanthorpe

BOB
15.05.2006, 22:25
Just by chance, I heared Dalmelington playing Harmony Music on Saturday. Must say it was a very impressive performance. Solists were excellent, tempos spot on, and a fantasic trombone section. Didn't hear anyone else - but the bands above Dalmellington must have been exceptional.

Bob
Thoresby Colliery

Roger Thorne
16.05.2006, 06:22
Cant comment on anyone elses remarks, but the band i was down with felt that the remarks from Frank Renton were extremely critical,very few comments of praise. This was in complete contrast to Stephen Mead who actually seemed to make very constructive remarks.

Maybe two completely different adjudicating styles but i know which one i prefered!!!

Snap!!!! Mr Mead positive and complimentary about some areas that Mr Renton was not impressed with! I wonder if they were both listening to us or did the comments get mixed up???

Interesting comments here, but isn't this a typical scenerio of the adjudicating system? We are so often led to believe that both adjudicators have agreed a set criteria to work from? but the above comments, in my opinion, still seem to suggest otherwise! I do hope that in time we can persuade these adjudicators to make comments in public about there actions. We're not after blood, we just want an honest opinion from ordinary guys who unfortunately are members of an organisation that seem very reluctant to reveal the time of day, let alone their opinions on the criteria of adjudication.

;)

cornetblower
16.05.2006, 09:04
It's a shame, i just wonder what the remarks were like for the bands a bit further down!!

The same! Very positive from Mr Mead but Mr Renton unimpressed.

Ste69
16.05.2006, 10:33
I must say, it was also nice to hear Steven Mead give such a nice upbeat (and funny) summary before the results - a welcome departure from the usual "For God's sake, get on with it" type thing

blakeyboy
16.05.2006, 23:03
Are there going to be any retrospectives on 4bars?

928gscornetman
17.05.2006, 18:36
Our comments for Newstead were also less praising from Frank Renton but full of adulation from steven Mead !! - I suppose thats the two diferent styles for you !!

brassneck
17.05.2006, 19:22
So, are both sets of comments complimenting each other with respect to performance? Were both accurate in the feedback they gave?

DLogan
17.05.2006, 19:28
Just by chance, I heared Dalmelington playing Harmony Music on Saturday. Must say it was a very impressive performance. Solists were excellent, tempos spot on, and a fantasic trombone section. Didn't hear anyone else - but the bands above Dalmellington must have been exceptional.

Bob
Thoresby Colliery

Thanks very much for your kind comments. I didn't hear any of the bands above us either but we were well pleased with 5th - although 4th would have been nice!

Chris Hicks
17.05.2006, 21:29
Considering how difficult a year we had in 2005, we were pleased with our performance. Plenty to build on now that weve got a settled team again. Just a few clips, but Harmony Music is a real test for any band.

Thanks to Blackpool brass and Dave Hall for use of their bandroom for our rehearsal.

Enjoyed the day, the atmosphere was great, the football went down well in the Theatre Bar (even those who dont like football seemed to enjoy the match!!), and a good evening in the curry house to boot.

A great weekends banding! Well done to those who were promoted.

Paul
Innovate Skelmanthorpe

Could i ask what curry house did you go to!? Ours was soo good that we went to the effort to refuse to pay!!:tongue:

bassbone
18.05.2006, 11:35
Could i ask what curry house did you go to!? Ours was soo good that we went to the effort to refuse to pay!!:tongue:

As a medically recognised curry dependant I have suffered badly due to the lack of a single decent curry house in Blackpool. (4 years - still looking)

If anyone knows of one please don't keep it a secret.

New South Welshman
18.05.2006, 18:48
Greetings from a New South Welshman. It was an absolute pleasure to play with BTM in the cup. The band worked very hard in a disciplined manner during their preparation and are pleased to be going up to the shield. The comments on 4BR were appreciated and well-received by the band. Thank you for listening!

Mon1018
29.09.2007, 05:15
are there going to be any retrospectives on fourbars?

dyl
29.09.2007, 08:50
are there going to be any retrospectives on fourbars?

Errrm - I think you're a bit out of date here! This thread is for the 2006 Senior Cup............. :rolleyes:

Besides if you're after some 4barsrest stuff, why not try looking on 4barsrest.com - whatever you're looking for might be on there? ;)