PDA

View Full Version : New Bandsman, Got yours yet?

ploughboy
29.04.2006, 16:49
Hi folks,
Just collected my new look bandsman, well after a second trip to the cornet shop. In all the hype of full colour and minimun page count, no-one's mention the 25% price increase!! Still I guess 1.25 isn't the price of a pint yet!!!! Still it's made me think do I really need the old paper rag what with tMP and 4barsrest, i'm never short on a bandsnews fix!!

What do you think to the new format??

Garry

postie
29.04.2006, 16:56
A bit of shock when I first opened the envelope and saw the new look. Got used to now not too sure about the price increase though. But overall not too bad much better than the previous incarnation!!!

ploughboy
29.04.2006, 17:09
I don't know? did you find that much to read, The european stuff's great, but . . . there's loads of advertsing!!! 13 pages (near enough) are FULL of advertising, seems a lot to me, i know we live in times where everything must make a profit, plus you can add to that 2 of the article's are about business development!

Still it is a nice clean looking publication, and I suppose in need of a overhaul!

Garry

Di
29.04.2006, 18:20
I was a bit shocked at the 25% increase. OK its a nice new look, but like you say, with so much information available on line for free, I'm considering cancelling my subscription. :(

postie
29.04.2006, 18:26
I was a bit shocked at the 25% increase. OK its a nice new look, but like you say, with so much information available on line for free, I'm considering cancelling my subscription. :(

I would agree with you to be honest all the info is available on the net for free . I will be interested to see what the sale figures will be like for the new look.

robbie
29.04.2006, 18:39
I used to have the Bandsman for years... theres always good things in there to read, but I always found myself reading the same things on the internet that was in the magazine.... so I didn't bother with the bandsman no more.... Is the new format alot different from the old one?

Di
29.04.2006, 18:45
Glossy pages, full page adverts, few more big features. To be honest, there was that much and I was still reeling from the increase, I've not read it yet, just glanced through it.

ian perks
29.04.2006, 20:05
Well i think it is a waste of time i renewed my subscription last year looks like it will be for the last time as well.
I have found when you send news up it takes ages to get put in and when you send email you get the excuse from the editor i never recived it:confused: please send it agian and i will put it in, so i have now stopped sending news up about our band and send to 4bars rest and major news/press releases as well to THIS SUPER SITE AS WELL:clap: .
At least you can read it and no its been put on.
So:

MOUTHPIECE&4BARSREST :hammer

BRITISH BANDSMAN:(

Roger Thorne
29.04.2006, 20:15
Personally, the look of the magazine isn't the issue. The lack of 'fresh' content is. There's very little you can read in the BB that hasn't already been printed elsewhere on the internet over the preceeding days. Admittedly this weeks edition is covering the Europeans but I would imagine they are going to struggle to fill their 'promised' minimum 16 pages every week, unless of course they are intending to start featuring articles about (dare I say) the lower sections.

Oh, and the first broken promise - not every page was in colour :eek: (page 32)

;)

Di
29.04.2006, 20:20
Personally, the look of the magazine isn't the issue. The lack of 'fresh' content is. There's very little you can read in the BB that hasn't already been printed elsewhere on the internet over the preceeding days.
;)

Exactly. By the time I get mine on Friday (if i'm lucky and its been delivered to the shop, if not then its Monday), I've read it all anyway. :-?

PeterBale
30.04.2006, 01:46
As a subscriber, I hadn't noticed the price increase. Regarding the new format I think it will take a few weeks to come to any conclusions, and they've generally come up with a bumper edition for special weekends anyway.

I've enjoyed one or two recent in-depth articles, especially those by Philip Wilby and Rodney Newton, and I think that is the way forward, as they are offering something other than the news delivery that we get much quicker over the net. I'd also like to see an expansion in the letters column, but I don't know what the volume of letters submitted is.

With both BB & BBW undergoing change at the moment, it will be interesting to see how things develop.

imthemaddude
30.04.2006, 01:54
I would actually like to see more about the lower sections, after all they give up just as much of their time to banding and often have more achievements. Why does it all have to be about the top bands - after all we know loads about them anyway. Banding should encompass everyone from 4th section to Top.

Charmed
30.04.2006, 07:48
I stopped subscribing to The Bandsman about 7 years ago so can't really comment on the new look. However, reading some of the comments it appears that the reason I stopped subscribing is still there. Too many adverts, not enough coverage of the majority of bands and, apart from major contesting events, not nearly enough information about what, as interested band people, we want to read about.

KMJ Recordings
30.04.2006, 10:11
I stopped subscribing to The Bandsman about 7 years ago so can't really comment on the new look. However, reading some of the comments it appears that the reason I stopped subscribing is still there. Too many adverts, not enough coverage of the majority of bands and, apart from major contesting events, not nearly enough information about what, as interested band people, we want to read about.
I've not had it through the door since Peter Wilson left, and I don't think it was regular even then (I enjoyed playing in the Centeary Concert though ;) )

I think there's definitely a tendency twoards onlone sources - hence the recent upgrade to Brass Band World online.

It's not entirely beyond the bounds of possibility that they could introduce a paid online service, so you could still get the features (like the big interviews) that could be paid for individually as PDFs...etc etc.

Technology's great, innit? :D

cornishscot
01.05.2006, 01:42
Hi folks,
Just collected my new look bandsman, well after a second trip to the cornet shop.

What do you think to the new format??

Garry

Not sure I like it, particularly the Mast Head, which my other half thinks looks as if the Salvation Army connection the BB has is being infiltrated into this publication little by little. However, as he is the subscriber, not me and is a stickler for sticking with what he knows I doubt if he'll be cancelling his subscription just yet.

Tend to agree with comments other TMPers have made re. content in BB being a bit "stale" by the time the copy arrives but paper versions of Brassbandworld & Brass Herald are just as bad, if not worse. Also don't like format/look of Brass Band World's online WWW news anymore.

That's just my own opinion ........ for what it's worth.

Anonymous_user
01.05.2006, 11:03
Stopped getting Bandsman last year. Never any fresh news! but the odd article is ok. Sad to say not worth the money.

Seedhouse
01.05.2006, 11:47
I've always enjoyed getting BB when it has articles in that aren't replicated on the internet. Have to agree with the fact that half the news is on t'internet before it's even released, but it's the articles that keep me getting it! The new look was a bit of an intriguing shock, but I like the fact it's now in full colour! (Minus one page- well done Peter!) Just have to see how it pans out over the next few weeks! I'd suggest if anyone wanted any changes to BB, they should contact them directly instead of making comments on here- i'm not complaining about discussing it, but there aren't going to be many changes to improve it for our tastes if we don't voice our feelings! ;)

ian perks
05.05.2006, 20:47
Well two weeks into the new look Bandsman still:confused: asking myself questions .
Well what can they come up with next week as the last two weeks they have had the European to report on spent 2 weeks on it .
Now what i would like to see is more news about what the lower sections bands are doing as for the bandroom news page that went from once a week to 1 a fortnight now its when ever they feel like it by the time the news gets put in it OLD NEWS of about 4/5 weeks.
Bring Peter Wilson the only man who knew how a paper should be run each week a Letters Page, and a lot more news of lower section bands:clap:

brassneck
05.05.2006, 21:16
...Bring Peter Wilson the only man who knew how a paper should be run each week a Letters Page, and a lot more news of lower section bands:clap:

- not to sure about your view that Peter Wilson was the only one who knew how to run the Bandsman (... he had support from his staff as well!). I have every confidence that Kenny Crookston will transform it into a truly sleek and modern magazine that will compete with any oncomers. Your idea about a letters page featuring Peter Wilson using his vast experience of banding could be welcome, though! I would support that ... :cool: :tup

TIMBONE
06.05.2006, 00:48
I know where everyone is coming from on this one. I do however have three points to make.

1. Sometimes, when I want to sit back in an armchair with a nice cup of tea/coffee or maybe somethig stronger, it is nice to pick up BB and have a little scan.

2. I love putting it back into a brown envelope and posting it to my Dad.

3. We are internet users. Believe it or not, 60% of the population are not, so that includes quite a few brass band enthusiasts.

Anonymous_user
06.05.2006, 18:05
Regarding p32 of the first week's new look BB not being in colour - I always thought black was a colour. Maybe the nutters who slag this sort of thing want the text to be blue or red since black isn't perceived to be a colour. Not much chance of it being green methinks!

Old Blue Eyes (or are they?)

dyl
06.05.2006, 18:40
Maybe the nutters who slag this sort of thing

What a nice way to put your point across. :rolleyes:

MAW
06.05.2006, 18:41
I know where everyone is coming from on this one. I do however have three points to make.

1. Sometimes, when I want to sit back in an armchair with a nice cup of tea/coffee or maybe somethig stronger, it is nice to pick up BB and have a little scan.

2. I love putting it back into a brown envelope and posting it to my Dad.

3. We are internet users. Believe it or not, 60% of the population are not, so that includes quite a few brass band enthusiasts.

I like the new Bandsman and I don't mind the price increase but why in these days of recycling did they have to put in a plastic bag instead of the re-usable, reclyable brown envelope. :( Our librarian uses my old carefully opened envelopes to keep music in. I too re-use them.

ian perks
06.05.2006, 18:56
- not to sure about your view that Peter Wilson was the only one who knew how to run the Bandsman (... he had support from his staff :cool: :tup
I know that but he was the man who had the final say and you could always reply on him to put your news in when it got sent up but now you get all the excuses the new editor can think up some i have been told are:
Did not recive your letter can you send it again please.
Did not recive your email re send it
I was not in the office last week and seemed to have lost your letter
Another member of my team must have deleted the email you sent, by mistake

Now i dont call that encorageing to send any more news to the British Bandsman i will have to wait and see how this new bandsman shapes up before i send anymore news to the paper.

brassneck
06.05.2006, 19:24
- let's hope Kenny looks in and sees your complaint about customer service!

WoodenFlugel
07.05.2006, 02:14
In defence of Kenny Crookson - late last year we were kicked out of our bandroom. I submitted a standard press release to anyone I could think of BB, BBW, IBEW etc etc. Most publications chose to print it pretty much as it was (no problem there) but despite the fact we both had stuff going on and getting togethter for a couple of minutes was difficult, Kenny took the time to ring me, get the facts behind our situation, and wrote a great article which was on the front page of the Bandsman, linking our situation with the unfortunately similar situation of a couple of other bands.

I don't know Kenny - I sort of half met him at the finals last year, but even so, he made the time to ring me - more than once, and we spent something like half an hour discussing Wigston's situation. Unlike the conversations I had with our local press there was no BS, no leading questions to try and get me to say something contraversial or unwise. In short he was great - I was very impressed.

In the past I have been a critic of the bandsman - I've felt it is only really interested in the top 20 bands in the country. Talking to Kenny gave me a different perspective, and seeing our band name, and photo on the front of the Bandsman, in an hour of need, suggested that he does look beyond the "name" bands.

You can say what you will about BB, but they were there for us when we really needed publicity, and that for us was crucial.

DublinBass
07.05.2006, 02:25
I have to say, I have very much enjoyed the last two issues. We have gotten both on (or before) the listed date...which is not to bad seeing as how we are in the States.

I thought the articles and pictures were different than I have seen online and it was right nice finally seeing all the Whit Friday details in print this week.

DaveR
07.05.2006, 22:01
I like the new Bandsman and I don't mind the price increase but why in these days of recycling did they have to put in a plastic bag instead of the re-usable, reclyable brown envelope. :( Our librarian uses my old carefully opened envelopes to keep music in. I too re-use them.

Yes, I was disappointed this week to see a plastic bag wrapping my bandsman, rather than the brown envelope which used to either be reused or go into the paper recycling. Have they not heard of saving the environment? :rolleyes:

I do like the new format though :clap:

iancwilx
07.05.2006, 23:40
Stopped getting Bandsman last year. Never any fresh news! but the odd article is ok. Sad to say not worth the money.

Agreed - sad but a fact.

- Wilky

brassneck
07.05.2006, 23:52
Tim had a valid point to make earlier on about readers who don't have access to the internet and tMP (as well as other banding sites) ... the magazine has more information in a global sense than before. It has to be accountable for all bandspeople, and that includes us who may take the internet resources for granted!