PDA

View Full Version : tMP Goes Dedicated... From today a new super fast server powering tMP

TheMusicMan
27.03.2006, 11:26
http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/tmp_news_icon.giftMP Goes Dedicated... From 7th March - a new super fast server powering tMP

We're rocketing folks!!! From today - Monday 27th March - tMP has been moved onto our very own P4 2.8GHz dedicated server, and you should all see an immediate noticeable performance improvement.

Up until now we have been on a shared plan, allbeit a huge one, but with often > 250 users on tMP at any given time, the load this creates on the shared server is extremely high - sometimes in excess of 10. Now though with our very own dedicated machine we should all experience significant performance improvements, and tMP should fly and appear far more responsive. The only www sites located on the server are tMP and all of my hosted client sites.

tMP continues to grow, and in recent months we have seen a huge rise of the number of people online and using the site - which generates masses of activity. As such, I will always support tMP and help in any way I am able to. I hope you all find this a further improvement to the free service we offer for all brass enthusiasts and music lovers... wherever you are. (doesn't mean you can't help if you want to though :) more on that at another time)

I hope you continue to enjoy tMP!:tup

Rapier
27.03.2006, 11:41
Well done John. Just one question, why differentiate between Brass enthusiasts and Music lovers? :D A plumber could be a brass enthusiast but not a music lover, I suppose. ;)

Matthew
27.03.2006, 12:47
Nice John, that will benefit everyone, thanks. :) So, you'll need more coffers in the pot to help pay for this improvement I expect? (dedicated servers aren't cheap) :)

davidwalton
27.03.2006, 13:08
Dedicated servers costs start from around 30 per month.

For anything half decent, from 50.

Yes, having your own server has a big impact compared to shared hosting. Nobody else using available Bandwidth or Server resources.

For Info, FastHost is a good source for Servers. Costs are reasonable, and being in the UK, support is there by phone.

TheMusicMan
27.03.2006, 13:18
Nice John, that will benefit everyone, thanks. :) So, you'll need more coffers in the pot to help pay for this improvement I expect? (dedicated servers aren't cheap) :)Certainly will Matthew... though a dedicated solution certainly provides much improved performance enhancements - these do come at a cost yes... I'll be making a post about this soon enough. Rest assured though, that tMP will always be free, and I am in no way going to start charging for what is currently available now on tMP for free...

Having said that... subscriptions, donations, sponsorship, banners and personal support et al are always appreciated though. :)

TheMusicMan
27.03.2006, 13:20
Dedicated servers costs start from around 30 per month.

For anything half decent, from 50.

Yes, having your own server has a big impact compared to shared hosting. Nobody else using available Bandwidth or Server resources.

For Info, FastHost is a good source for Servers. Costs are reasonable, and being in the UK, support is there by phone.I wouldn't pay 30 for a dedicated solution though David... you pats your money and you takes your choice in this game. Besides, you wouldn't get a very good spec'ed machine for that price, neither would it be fully managed. Expect to pay around the $180 - $280 / month for a quality, managed, high enough spec machine.

davidwalton
27.03.2006, 13:32
I wouldn't pay 30 for a dedicated solution though David... you pats your money and you takes your choice in this game. Besides, you wouldn't get a very good spec'ed machine for that price, neither would it be fully managed. Expect to pay around the $180 - $280 / month for a quality, managed, high enough spec machine.

Yes, but I manage my own Servers, so don't need to pay for someone to do that side. 30 is the start price though, which can get you a 2Ghz machine with 256mb RAM, and 20 to 40GB Hard disk.

As long as the Data Centre housing the servers is reliable.

I do pay 99 for one of my servers, but is dedicated to a single business, with another server at 50 for support services. Both are fully managed by us, and we installed the operating systems and did the setup. They just plugged it in. BTW- Prices exclude VAT :(

Obviously, the more you can do yourself, the cheaper things are.

vonny
27.03.2006, 13:34
Wow great stuff John - I'm all for a powerful tool ;)

Yvonne x

Cornishwomble
27.03.2006, 13:34
Rest assured though, that tMP will always be free, and I am in no way going to start charging for what is currently available now on tMP for free...

I appreciate that you've never forced anyone to pay for the site or put us on a guilt trip for not contributing.

However I also appreciate that it isn't free and does cost you and with what tmp has given to me over the last 3 years, I've now signed up as a supporter to show my gratitude

Steve
27.03.2006, 13:55
Yes, but I manage my own Servers, so don't need to pay for someone to do that side. 30 is the start price though, which can get you a 2Ghz machine with 256mb RAM, and 20 to 40GB Hard disk.

As long as the Data Centre housing the servers is reliable.

I do pay 99 for one of my servers, but is dedicated to a single business, with another server at 50 for support services. Both are fully managed by us, and we installed the operating systems and did the setup. They just plugged it in. BTW- Prices exclude VAT :(

Obviously, the more you can do yourself, the cheaper things are.

However much it costs, its still more than each members annual subscritpion fee ;)

Thanks John, and thanks Roy. Every little helps.

TheMusicMan
27.03.2006, 13:55
I appreciate that you've never forced anyone to pay for the site or put us on a guilt trip for not contributing.

However I also appreciate that it isn't free and does cost you and with what tmp has given to me over the last 3 years, I've now signed up as a supporter to show my gratitudeWOW - that's very generous of you Roy, thank you very much sir, I really appreciate the comments and the gesture. :tup

Cornishwomble
27.03.2006, 14:17
No worries, mind you also hoping it might speed up my 2005 live award banner :biggrin:

TheMusicMan
27.03.2006, 14:22
No worries, mind you also hoping it might speed up my 2005 live award banner :biggrin:In the words of a famous - though rather dull Dad...

"D'oh !!!".

Sorry Roy... I'll sort these for you ASAP.

super_sop
27.03.2006, 19:51
thats great john, its loading a heck of a lot faster:clap::tup

rutty
28.03.2006, 11:34
For Info, FastHost is a good source for Servers. Costs are reasonable, and being in the UK, support is there by phone.

I wouldn't touch Fasthosts with a bargepole. I've read too many horror stories about their customer service to even consider them, but then other people's experiences may differ. Maybe they've improved over the last few years.

I've noticed a considerable improvement in site speed John. Nice work. Let's hope you can get some more supporters to help pay for the improvements :)

TheMusicMan
28.03.2006, 12:51
Thanks Dave... it certainly seems to have improved performance yeah...:) Let's hope I can attract a few more voluntary subscribers which would certainly help offset the costs of these performance improvements. If we had only 1.5% of tMP members as subscribers - this would be a massive help to the coffers... :)

Enjoy...

Charmed
28.03.2006, 13:01
Must admit I haven't seen much difference on my computer at home, but now, on the works computer, wow, dont even have time to make a drink while its loading like before. Much better! Can 'irritate' much more in my half hour break now. :biggrin:

TheMusicMan
28.03.2006, 13:09
Must admit I haven't seen much difference on my computer at home, but now, on the works computer, wow, dont even have time to make a drink while its loading like before. Much better! Can 'irritate' much more in my half hour break now. :biggrin:That sounds good Susan, seems like your home internet connection has better contention for bandwidth but when in work, there are perhaps many more people after the same bandwidth which causes some degree of delay. A faster response from tMP server though would pop your request to the top of the pile and maybe this is why you are experiencing a performance improvement in work yet not when at home.

Glad it is helping though.:tup

Matthew
28.03.2006, 15:16
Let's hope I can attract a few more voluntary subscribers which would certainly help offset the costs of these performance improvements. If we had only 1.5% of tMP members as subscribers - this would be a massive help to the coffers... :)

Enjoy...

The speed is definitely much better. :)

Put your hands in your pockets, if you can and subscribe! It's only a few quid and well worth it after all. :D

persins
30.03.2006, 13:39
I've also noticed the improved performance!
I suppose you get what you paid for so I'm just about to sign up as a supporter too!!
Cheers John for this great service!!

TheMusicMan
30.03.2006, 13:47
Thank you very much Simon... your support is greatly appreciated and rest assured all contributions go towards the running costs of the dedicated server et al. I really do appreciate your support.

Thanks.

DaveR
31.03.2006, 00:24
So now that tMP has a sooper-dooper mega-fast, all singing and dancing server, does that mean you are going to be able to set up my webspace? ;)

I did pm you about it a few weeks ago but got ignored! :cry:

I'm trying to give you some money here! :biggrin:

TheMusicMan
31.03.2006, 10:17
Yup - will get all this sorted this weekend Dave... apologies - got overtaken by events....

:)

Matthew
14.05.2006, 20:54
Is the dedicated server experiencing connection/speed problems today? :(

I've been getting intermittent connections (none) and very slow speed problems most of today, when connecting to tMP.

Roger Thorne
14.05.2006, 21:01
Hi Matthew,

Yes, we have been experiencing problems today for reasons unknown to us! John is (as we speak) looking into the problems. Hopefully we can rectify this very soon.

;)

TheMusicMan
14.05.2006, 21:10
I am currently in conversation with my dedicated server provider who is looking into this for me. I will admit to recently becoming very frustrated with the performance issues we are experiencing, and can only apologise to everyone who suffers this poor performance.

This is simply not acceptable, but please be assured that I really am doing my utmost to bring stability in availbility and consistency in performance to tMP. I will also consider alternative support and service if required.

Matthew
14.05.2006, 21:19
Thanks John & Roger for your efforts, I'm sure it's appreciated. :)

Matthew
22.05.2006, 14:03
John, sorry to bring this up again... :(

But, is it me and my connection, or is tMP experiencing intermittent problems again? The server speed was awful (sorry) much of yesterday and today it just stops and starts, stops and....

AndyCat
22.05.2006, 14:06
I've recently got faster broadband (6.5mb downstream :-) ) but unfortunately tMP is still the slowest forum I visit. The increase in downstream speed hasn't affected the speed tMP loads, but has with every other site.

Andy

TheMusicMan
22.05.2006, 14:15
We are experiencing technical issue with our webhost at the moment and they assure me they are doing everything they can to rectify the poor performance we are experiencing. I am not a happy bunny at the moment and am very close to moving to a new webhost.

This has been going on for too long now and over the last few days seems to be occurring more frequently too. I am constantly upgrading the support ticket I have open with the webhost with more information about loads and slow performance, but we don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Time for me to open a dialogue with an alternate webhost. Maybe I shall ask on the site...?

Apologies all...:(

Matthew
22.05.2006, 14:54
Sounds frustrating John, but thanks for sorting it out. :)

TheMusicMan
22.05.2006, 15:13
Hi Matt

Yes indeed, it is frustrating, I only hope we get this sorted asap.