PDA

View Full Version : Official tMP L&SC Regional Thread 2006

Pages : [1] 2

dyl
04.03.2006, 10:18
This is the official tMP discussion thread for the London & Southern Counties Regional Contest of the forthcoming Regional Championships of Great Britain.

Feel free to discuss your thoughts and predictions for each section within the area - but don't forget to enter the tMP Predictions Competition- for your chance to contribute to the overall tMP Predictions. Details of the tMP Predictions Competition can be found here: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19589

We also ask that when the results for the various sections are announced, they are posted in this thread, and not posted as brand new threads - it has the potential to become extremely messy should this be the case. We will be creating and maintaining a complete set of results for viewing on the tMP Portal as they happen.

We do have one request though! Please remember, that when pasting directly from other sources, always credit the source please.

Saturday 18th March
Arts & Leisure Centre, Stevenage

3rd Section - Draw : 9am.
Adjuducator : Colin Hardy

Bradwell (C Johnston) - Chinnor (D Pegram) - Croydon (P Martin) - Enfield (Motor Museum & Potters and Bar) (S Groarke) - Epsom & Ewell (E Howard) - Fulham (P McLaughlin) - Hangleton (J Williams) - Hemel Hempstead (G Weeks) - Hilgay (A Clarke) - LBG (I Stewart) - Littleport (P Mead) - Norfolk Wherry (A Craze) - St Sebastian's (Wokingham) (D Richards) - Stantonbury (A Jenkin) - Woodbridge Excelsior (A Duguid)

2nd Section - Draw : 1pm
Adjudicator : Chris Wormald

Betteshanger Welfare (D Burridge) - Brighton & Hove City (J Williams) - Capital Concert (J Mirahan) - Cawston (C Swaep) - Denham Hendon (G Davies) - East London (D Shead) - Egham (G Green) - Epping Forest (M Easener) - Fairlop (K Jordan) - Grimsdyke (S Broughall) Hitchin Town (I Graves) - Jersey Premier (T Pritchard) - Tilbury (R Nunnery) - Ware (K Durbin) - Yiewsley & West Drayton (C Cole)

Sunday 19th March

4th Section - Draw : 9.30am
Adjudicator : Chris Wormald

Amersham (A Fawbert) - Battle Town (J Penton) - Bletchington (S Barwick) - Broseley Development MK (D Johnston) - Chalgrove ( M Pegram) - Charles Church Camberley ( R Cherry) - Cobham (D Rual) - Cottenham (G Watson) - Fakenham Town (D Wakefield) - Great Yarmouth (S Philpot) - Harwich RBL (A Sanders) - Haslemere Town (G Wade) - Hungerford Town (T Crouter) - Jubilee (Oxford) (C Sadler) - King's Lynn Town (S Ingham) - Letchworth Garden City (T Welch) - Loddon (J Knight) - Oxford Templars (J Davies) - Royston (S Jones) - Somersham Town (D Chambers) - Thundersley (K Schroeder) - Wantage B (D Dullforce) - Waterbeach (J Utting) - Watford (M France) - Wolverton Town (J Mott)

1st Section - Draw : ???
Adjudicator : David Horsfield

Alder Valley (S Chislett) - Becontree (G Sheldon) - Bedford Town (C Reeves) - Broseley MK - (P Fensome) - Chichester City (L Bulchart) - City of Cambridge (C Paterson) - Colchester (M Easener) - Crystal Palace (M Gray) - Haverhill (M Ager) - Horsham Borough (G Bacon) - KM Medway (G Wilson) - Regent (R Ward) - Sandhurst (R Burke) - St Alban's City (S Garman) - Stonesfield (T Brotherhood) - Wantage A (P Bailey)

Championship Section - Draw : ???
Adjudicator : Colin Hardy

Alliance Brass (J Clark) - Aveley and Newham (N Taken) - Clacton-on-Sea Co-operative (R Wiffin) - Friary Guildford (K Maxwell) - Ipswich & Norwich Co-op (R Norman) - Kidlington Concert (TBC) - Northfleet (A Caldon) - Redbridge (M White) - Soham Comrades (C King) - Staines (I McElligott) - Welywn Garden City (D Jones) - Zone One (S Dobson)

starperformer
07.03.2006, 18:23
London and southern counties can usually be relied upon to come up with the strongest talking and weakest playing. Where's all the hype this year? Don't tell me some of these bands are too busy rehearsing? Or maybe there's going to be a late charge of big talk in the next 2 weeks?

I think Staines, Bedford, Capital and Epping will be the success stories this year.

WhatSharp?
07.03.2006, 21:20
London and southern counties can usually be relied upon to come up with the strongest talking and weakest playing.
:-? wot?

... Ah.. just found a few earlier posts from you...

Here we go again.. :D

Mods, can we get an IGNORE button? :D

Simon_Horn
07.03.2006, 21:39
London and southern counties can usually be relied upon to come up with the strongest talking and weakest playing.

I agree with the first part....but weakest playing??? Everyone knows the LSC has held it's own in recent years. I'm sure this year will be no different.

In fact, according to 4barsrest.com, LSC have the highest number of entered bands (84 or so) of all the areas - that say something about how alive and kicking banding is dawn sawth.

brasscrest
07.03.2006, 21:42
Mods, can we get an IGNORE button?

It's in the User CP.

WhatSharp?
07.03.2006, 21:51
It's in the User CP.

Cheers! :oops:

Accidental
07.03.2006, 21:54
Starperformer... I assume you DON"T play for a L&SC band then? (hard to tell as you don't bother to identify yourself).
If you did, maybe you'd be equally p*ed off at the assumption that our bands aren't as good, you'd be aware of how well bands from our region have done at the lower sections finals recently, and you'd be proud of our top bands' ability to hold their own among bands from supposedly 'stronger' areas.

Simon_Horn
07.03.2006, 22:05
yeah!

DaveR
07.03.2006, 23:48
Actually, Mr StarPerformer does play for a L&SC band, and I suspect his post was to kick start this thread into life! Which it has done! :clap:

I've just had a traumatic experience at band this evening. I have carefully marked up my timpani music to remind myself which drum to hit, and when to kick the pedals to change the notes. Imagine my dismay when I discovered that we are only being provided with 3 timps, instead of the 4 I have been practicing on. :( Back to the drawing board with only about 6 rehearsals to go.

Still, at least I found out now, not on the stage at Stevenage I suppose. :(

Redhorn
08.03.2006, 00:09
Starperformer... I assume you DON"T play for a L&SC band then? (hard to tell as you don't bother to identify yourself).
If you did, maybe you'd be equally p*ed off at the assumption that our bands aren't as good, you'd be aware of how well bands from our region have done at the lower sections finals recently, and you'd be proud of our top bands' ability to hold their own among bands from supposedly 'stronger' areas.

I refer you to Mr S. Performers post from 14th Oct 05, in reference to predicting the results at the Nationals, RAH, in reference to Redbridge and A & N:

"judging from recent years' efforts, London and Pride just about sums up these bands' preparations

18th and 20th would be surprising, although maybe next year will be better, when one of the best bands in the area moves up into the top section"

So, firstly hes toilet at predicting! :oops: And secondly we can assume hes either linked to Clacton, or perhaps more probably Staines! ;)

James Yelland
08.03.2006, 08:32

My memory isn't great, but didn't a band from Potters Bar in Hertfordshire become National Champions a year or two ago? If they played weakly how poor was the northern opposition??!! I guess your defence is in the use of the word 'usually'..

Chris Kirk
08.03.2006, 08:33
Some interesting comments above. I believe that L&SC bands have been impressive in the finals in recent years. Staines and Potters Bars are just a couple. However, the seventh place by Redbridge last year just goes to show how much the standard is improving and that we cannot just be dismissed as not having the ability.

The Championship section should be very interesting, Redbridge on present form should win.

The battle will be for the next qualifying place and 3rd; anyone one of last years 2nd to 5th places could be in with a shout and Iím certainly not dismissing Staines.

vonny
08.03.2006, 08:45
Wow i like this thread, didn't know 'Southeners' could be so exciting :wink:
All the best to all who are taking part in the LSC contests

Yvonne x

P.S. I might take a wander as i am going to be in that 'neck of the woods' that weekend :)

James Yelland
08.03.2006, 10:17
However, the seventh place by Redbridge last year just goes to show how much the standard is improving and that we cannot just be dismissed as not having the ability.

Again, my memory isn't great, but in the days when I lived in London I rather fancy I remember the then Newham Band coming 5th at the National Championships (1988? 1989?) Around then, anyway. So there have been bands of a pretty good standard in the area for some time.

Redhorn
08.03.2006, 10:18
So, does anyone know anything about the adjudicators?....
Do they have REPUTATION? ;-)

WhatSharp?
08.03.2006, 11:03
Don't know about you guys but 2nd section is Chris Wormald (sp?) which I'm quite happy about. Though I'd be happier with 2 in the box, given the number of bands I cannot believe our regional comittee are THAT hard up!:mad:

starperformer
08.03.2006, 11:08
OK, fine, London bands are every bit as good as other areas, you're all quite right. A 7th and a 5th at the nationals in the last 2 decades is solid proof of that. My mistake.

Seriously though the 3rd and 4th section down here really are quite strong compared with other areas - the sheer number of bands in those sections is testament to (and partial explanation for) that. Yorkshire 3rd section was awful on Sunday, and they don't have that many bands - that's a national title we haven't lost before we start.

starperformer
08.03.2006, 11:11
Don't know about you guys but 2nd section is Chris Wormald (sp?) which I'm quite happy about. Though I'd be happier with 2 in the box, given the number of bands I cannot believe our regional comittee are THAT hard up!:mad:

see comments on Yorkshire thread (where he was also adjudicating 2nd)

(a) he had a definite preference for bands that took it well under tempo (and got it clean)

(b) 2 in the box can be a real mixed blessing - at least with one they will usually agree amongst themself and you get consistent results across the board

basherbaggie man
08.03.2006, 11:45
Come on then all you clever predictors, what about the 4th section, anybody good a prediction for L&SC?

Bungle
08.03.2006, 11:46
Don't forget there's alot of Northerners living daan souf (like me self). And bands can bring players in from Norway for contests just as easily as northern bands.

stevetrom
08.03.2006, 14:09
Come on then all you clever predictors, what about the 4th section, anybody good a prediction for L&SC?

I predict that almost every band will say that they were robbed, and there are too many bands in the section !!

Unless you happen to be one of the winners that is !

Good luck Steve (and all at Cholsey)

basherbaggie man
08.03.2006, 16:26
Steve, It's Chalgrove actually, but never mind, Good luck with your areas this week end

stevetrom
08.03.2006, 16:28
Steve, It's Chalgrove actually, but never mind, Good luck with your areas this week end

:oops: oops, sorry !

All these Oxfordshire villages get me confused.

Cornishwomble
08.03.2006, 17:29
Don't forget there's alot of Northerners living daan souf (like me self). And bands can bring players in from Norway for contests just as easily as northern bands.
What, are Southerners not as good then as Northerner and Norwegian players :confused:

starperformer
09.03.2006, 15:07
I'd be a bit surprised if Norwegians made a major difference to this contest. You never know though.

The real interest is always in what the various notorious rent-a-bands will come up with - they do seem to be a bit erratic, qualify one year, nowhere the next.

Cornishwomble
09.03.2006, 15:22
I did notice that when I played in that area a couple of years ago, lets just say that certain bands had so many army musicians in, at one point I wondered if I was at the areas or Trooping the Colour

Chunky
09.03.2006, 16:06
I did notice that when I played in that area a couple of years ago, lets just say that certain bands had so many army musicians in, at one point I wondered if I was at the areas or Trooping the Colour

lol!!! I hope now you are up North Roy you are not staining the integrity of the L & SC contest :wink:

Cornishwomble
09.03.2006, 16:16
lol!!! I hope now you are up North Roy you are not staining the integrity of the L & SC contest :wink:

Who me :redface:??

Chunky
09.03.2006, 16:24
Who me :redface:??

I know you would not do such a thing Roy, afterall I am sure no band in the London area would do that sort of thing on a regular basis.

Would also like to take this opportunity to point out that we at Cawston have no Norwegians playing for us on the day.

andywooler
09.03.2006, 16:27

Of course, a lot of our bands have to do this to replace the people we export up North to the music colleges and who never come back! ;)

snoromuoy
09.03.2006, 22:18

Why, oh why do we have to listen to this rubbish every year? Is there nothing more intresting going on in L&SC than people going on about army musicians, Trooping the Colour etc. BORING, BORING and MORE BORING - SNORE - YAWN - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lets not drag this years L&SC Area discussion down into the gutter again by slating individual bands and spoiling it for all.

And - Roy. "You noticed when you played in that area a couple of years ago, lets just say that certain bands had so many army musicians in"

You are a bit of a sharp tool ehh?? :clap: well done, and thanks for your "observations"

WhatSharp?
09.03.2006, 23:07
Personally I can't see what the fuss is all about. So long as their not getting paid as pro's. Whats the difference between having army bandsmen playing in the band to having students from music colleges? Lets face it with the huge shortage of players in london at the moment I don't think there will be many bands without at least one or two deps.

We've done pretty well this year with only 2 deps, 1 Bb bass (a regular helper outer) and a percussionist.

C'mon folks lets not start bitching before we've even played a note. Save that for after when we're whining about the results :biggrin:

DaveR
09.03.2006, 23:44

I'm not speaking on behalf of my band here, these are just my own thoughts. At Sandhurst, we have been accused of this several times over the last few years as we have been rising through the sections - usually by jealous rivals who we have just beaten at contests. I suppose this is inevitable coming (as we do) from an army town.

It is true, we do have a number of players who are in the army playing for us. However, we do not pay them as deps, or just wheel them in for contests - they pay subs to the band as full members, and they don't just turn out at contests, they do all rehearsals, concerts, carol jobs, fetes and anything else we do as a band. In fact, by and large in terms of commitment to the band they do far more for the band than I do, and I am not even in the army.

Many of them have played regularly for the band for much than longer than I have, and I've been there since 2001.

I fail to understand how Mr Cornishwomble can identify whether bands have musicians from the army or not, (after all, they do not come on stage with their bayonets) or indeed why this should be a problem. Are the good men (and women) of the British Army not allowed a hobby like everyone else? :confused: The implication of this post is that any band with Army musicians in it is automatically cheating or getting an unfair advantage, and that is not the case (at least, not in my band and I suspect not in any other band from the L&SC either). Any success we have had over recent years is entirely due to hard work and committment on behalf of the band (the vast majority of whom are not involved in the armed forces) and especially due to our extremely talented Musical Director who has shaped the band into the band we are today. :clap:

I'm sorry to drift off-topic Mods, and I emphasise once again that I am not speaking officially on behalf of my band; these are just my own personal opinions. I'm only jumping in on this because this is an accusation we have had hurled at us in the past, and whilst Cornishwomble doesn't mention any bands specifically I find this sort of accusation (no matter how generally worded) rather offensive.

Now, perhaps we should get back to the topic in hand.

Di
09.03.2006, 23:56
I'm sorry to drift off-topic Mods, and I emphasise once again that I am not speaking officially on behalf of my band; these are just my own personal opinions. I'm only jumping in on this because this is an accusation we have had hurled at us in the past, and whilst Cornishwomble doesn't mention any bands specifically I find this sort of accusation (no matter how generally worded) rather offensive.

Now, perhaps we should get back to the topic in hand.

Thanks for that Dave.

Now, as has been said, can we put this to rest and get back to looking forward to the area. Thank you. ;)

DaveR
10.03.2006, 00:16
Good luck with your areas this week end

I'd like to wish all member bands from the Oxford and District Brass Band Association (including Chalgrove, Hungerford, Wantage, Jubilee and any others I've missed!) the best of luck for the areas. I look forward to catching up with lots of you in the bar!

Accidental
10.03.2006, 08:25
I think Roy was joking everyone, chill out! :lol:

And lets face it, it IS true. I know of at least 5 bands, us included, with one or more army players signed up. The resource is there and the players want to be involved, so why not? Imo its no different from bands in the North West/Yorkshire using music students.

Anyway, good luck to everyone and hope to catch up with some of you in the bar.

Cornishwomble
10.03.2006, 09:11
Yes Roy was joking and actually there was only one band I was referring to (not Sandhurst by the way). At least Alex has the intelligence and wit to notice. But it would be wrong to mention them especially as it was a toungue in cheek post. Seeing as at the time I was in the Navy it was a kind of "in-joke" with my band!

Still Snoromuoy you couldn't have been that bored if you took the time to post something. And how can you criticise people for slating bands (even if no names were mentioned) if you think it's OK to slate individuals, bit hypocritical no? I see it's your first post I hope the rest won't be so ill-thought.

Bless

Chunky
10.03.2006, 09:34
Why, oh why do we have to listen to this rubbish every year? Is there nothing more intresting going on in L&SC than people going on about army musicians, Trooping the Colour etc. BORING, BORING and MORE BORING - SNORE - YAWN - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lets not drag this years L&SC Area discussion down into the gutter again by slating individual bands and spoiling it for all.

And - Roy. "You noticed when you played in that area a couple of years ago, lets just say that certain bands had so many army musicians in"

You are a bit of a sharp tool ehh?? :clap: well done, and thanks for your "observations"

Many thanks for your comments and using my post in your quotation. I am glad you found it interesting. However if you wish to use my quotations please DO NOT change the inference of my post by putting my words written in normal text into bold type. Thank you.

vonny
10.03.2006, 10:04
Ooooooooooooooooo Ian have you got out of the wrong side of the bed :)

starperformer
10.03.2006, 10:14
It's all very well bitching about the army - but being a member of H.M. forces does not make you any more or less legitimate as a contest player.

Does anyone have any concrete predictions for how the British army are actually going to fare in the results?
Anyone know how the Guildhall school of Music band are doing getting to grips with "Images of the Millenium"? I hope their lectures don't clash with paid work
Which bands are having trouble with the contest clashing with Saturday matinees their players may and may not have to work?

PeterBale
10.03.2006, 10:23
I think we've now said all that needs to be said on the subject of military musicians taking part, and we're running the risk of getting side-tracked and going round in circles. I suggest we leave it now, and concentrate on other issues surrounding next weekends contest.

Thank you. PB, Mod

CLAIRE SPONG
10.03.2006, 13:40
Good luck to both Wantage bands and Chalgrove!

andywooler
10.03.2006, 13:51
Whilst wishing all competitors well, good luck especially to friends in:

Friary Guildford (Accidental & Fingers)
LGB Brass - our local rivals but as we're not entering, I hope they win this one!
Brighton & Hove City Brass - may you fare better than the seagulls currently ;)
Horsham Borough & The Hangleton Band.

Also to David Hobbs and the team - I hope you have a trouble free day!
(Having worked with David, I know he will be doing his best to ensure the day works as well as possible for all bands).

DublinBass
10.03.2006, 14:47
My friend Sean and I will be there Sunday to hear some of the bands.

(Now all I have to do is get him signed up on tMP!! I'm sure John will make a good sales pitch though)

basherbaggie man
10.03.2006, 15:05
Good luck to all bands playing in the 4th section at Stevenage, but not too much, we want to come above you all, we dont get much chance to gloat!!!! Good luck to all ex Chalgrove players and conductors playing and conducting different bands all over the country.

IYOUNG
10.03.2006, 15:24
Good luck to all bands playing in the 4th section at Stevenage, but not too much, we want to come above you all, we dont get much chance to gloat!!!! Good luck to all ex Chalgrove players and conductors playing and conducting different bands all over the country.

Hi,

Best of luck to everyone at Chalgrove, i'll be there having a listen to you all, keep Steve under control and all will be fine!!!

Cheers

Ian

basherbaggie man
10.03.2006, 15:35
Thanks Mr Young, I resemble that remark I'll have you know my playing is well under control, Im scared to upset Mike, but no problems so far. Long live the pig skin basher at the back!!!!!!!

IYOUNG
10.03.2006, 16:03
Thanks Mr Young, I resemble that remark I'll have you know my playing is well under control, Im scared to upset Mike, but no problems so far. Long live the pig skin basher at the back!!!!!!!

Hee hee glad its going well Steve, i'll listen out especially...........

David Pegram
10.03.2006, 16:39
Good luck to you all Steve.Must be your best chance ever, now you have a good man at the helm.

basherbaggie man
10.03.2006, 17:06
Cheers Dave, yes your big broth is doing a fine job, this is our best chance for a long time, if we fail, it wont be for the lack of preparation. Good luck for your areas as well. Never Know we might be able to share a coach to Harrogate!!!!!!!

Redhorn
11.03.2006, 15:22
My memory isn't great, but didn't a band from Potters Bar in Hertfordshire become National Champions a year or two ago? If they played weakly how poor was the northern opposition??!! I guess your defence is in the use of the word 'usually'..

As WELL you would know, Mr S. Performer! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Laserbeam bass
11.03.2006, 20:20
Good luck to everyone in the L&SC 1st section this year, especially my band. What a pleasure it is to be in the theatre rather than the, ahem, Concert Hall (for the rest of this post read Gym for Concert Hall).

A very challenging piece of music that should show off the talents of the bands trying to make it into the top section.

starperformer
13.03.2006, 12:39
As WELL you would know, Mr S. Performer! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
you can call me the 'star' if you like.

any more word on "the alliance scandal"? i was looking forward to the latest episode this morning, only to find that it's all gone walkabout.

Redhorn
13.03.2006, 12:48
you can call me the 'star' if you like.

any more word on "the alliance scandal"? i was looking forward to the latest episode this morning, only to find that it's all gone walkabout.

I have NO IDEA as to what you are talking about! You've been imagining things again! :cool:
So, how are you finding the 3rd section test piece this year??..... ;)

starperformer
13.03.2006, 13:18
I have NO IDEA as to what you are talking about! You've been imagining things again! :cool:
So, how are you finding the 3rd section test piece this year??..... ;)

good change of subject! but the carpet ends up being very uneven if you have more stuff swept underneath it than on top. have you guys got a full band, or not? and have you smoothed things over or is there going to be a bit of needle at the contest?

the 3rd section piece this year is entertaining. you really can't beat a bit of Vinter, it's fabulous. it brings back happy memories for me of many a happy hour spent on other masterpieces of his - how challenging and yet relaxing that can be.

all rubbish puns intended - name the pieces for a bonus trivia point.

Redhorn
13.03.2006, 13:35
.... but the carpet ends up being very uneven if you have more stuff swept underneath it than on top.

What carpet???..... ;)

have you guys got a full band, or not?

Yes, we have a full band! :p (although we have a vacancy for soprano cornet, after the contest is finished! Not that our man is leaving- he normally plays flugel)

have you smoothed things over...or is there going to be a bit of needle at the contest?

Smoothed things over with whom??..... Whats 'a bit of needle'? (some sort of additional percussion instrument???!!!?? :confused: )

James Yelland
13.03.2006, 14:29
the 3rd section piece this year is entertaining. you really can't beat a bit of Vinter, it's fabulous. it brings back happy memories for me of many a happy hour spent on other masterpieces of his - how challenging and yet relaxing that can be.

all rubbish puns intended - name the pieces for a bonus trivia point.

So, you're planning to be triumphant in March and come out with all guns blazon, then?

Baritonedeaf
13.03.2006, 14:46
Good luck to the NMYBB old boys at Fulham! And our southern Youngsters too!

starperformer
13.03.2006, 16:33
So, you're planning to be triumphant in March and come out with all guns blazon, then?
well, if we can circumnavigate the technical obstacles, then anywhere above ninth gives us a good chance of going up. there'll be a wide variation in standard though, and it's hard to tell where we are in the spectrum of ability without hearing the oppo.

Simon_Horn
13.03.2006, 16:53
well, if we can circumnavigate the technical obstacles, then anywhere above ninth gives us a good chance of going up. there'll be a wide variation in standard though, and it's hard to tell where we are in the spectrum of ability without hearing the oppo.

Well, I expect there to be a symphony of marches directly to the bar - unless James Cook(s) a cake to celebrate the Triumphant Rhapsod(ic )victory which i'm sure your Epic Brass band will be anxious to have. I guess we should all really Salute to Youth bands that are ambitious enough to enter the 3rd section contest though for thier own Entertainment(s). Any Variation on 9th and you should be there or there abouts I guess. It's likely to be a Challenging Brass band contest across the whole Spectrum of sections. Anyway, gotta go and meet a Mr Viscaya about a dog!

Beat that Mr S Performer!

dyl
13.03.2006, 16:58
Can we keep this thread to discussing the forthcoming Regional contest please.

starperformer
13.03.2006, 17:15
Edit: off-topic.

Dave Payn
13.03.2006, 18:36
Good luck to all bands but particularly to those I have been involved in as a player or conductor and those who've been unfortunate enough to have had me dep for them! In no particular order...

Crystal Palace
Friary
Fulham
YWD
Becontree
Croydon? (Are they entered?)
Epsom and Ewell

And anyone else I might have forgotten (this island air plays havoc with the old memory banks, you know... ;))

HBB
13.03.2006, 18:38
Wish me luck Dave!!! :p

Dave Payn
13.03.2006, 18:41
Wish me luck Dave!!! :p

Good luck, Dave!

:) ;)

Redhorn
14.03.2006, 10:04
Does anyone know which bands have withdrawn from the 1st section?

We've heard rumours that one of them is St. Albans, and I presume City of Oxford (relegated from champ last year) no longer exist- so they must be another........

DaveR
14.03.2006, 12:08
City of Oxford (relegated from champ last year) no longer exist- so they must be another........

Just to correct this - City of Oxford do still exist, they just aren't contesting at the moment. So technically they haven't withdrawn, because they had no intention of entering this year! ;)

starperformer
14.03.2006, 12:41
I think he means that the city of Oxford itself no longer exists - the council have decided to level the whole city this week in order to provide a park and ride facility for the controversial Kidlington terminal 2 development

basherbaggie man
14.03.2006, 13:05
City of Oxford Training (known as Templars Brass) are entering the 4th section, I think a few favours have been called in!!!!!

WhatSharp?
14.03.2006, 13:10
not sure about St Albans (theres at least one member from there on here), I heard a rumour that Ware had pulled out of the Second Section. Can anyone shed any light?

ratley
14.03.2006, 13:59
We haven't withdrawn!

Redhorn
14.03.2006, 14:04
Sorry, Ratley- the brass band gossip shop had told us that you had! Best wishes to you and good luck!

DaveR
14.03.2006, 14:17
City of Oxford Training (known as Templars Brass) are entering the 4th section, I think a few favours have been called in!!!!!

Templars (although part of the COSB organisation) have always operated largely independently of COSB as I understand it. There may well have been a few favours called in, but I think they would probably have entered anyway :clap:

Owen S
14.03.2006, 14:30
Well, Images is finally starting to come together for us, and occasional bits are almost sounding musical. Unfortunately, even if we manage that on stage I'm not sure it'll come across in the Sports Barn. That venue is awful, even more for the players than for the audience.

I haven't heard of any definite withdrawals, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few in the second section.

basherbaggie man
14.03.2006, 15:13
Anybody know of any withdrawals in 4th section, or am I the only 4th section player on this thread?

little_miss
14.03.2006, 16:56
I know of a lot of Championship section bands that are struggling this year with 'Journey' and getting bums on seats! There has been talk, (or maybe it's called gossip?!), that it could be an interesting weekend as far as results go for this section. How is your band getting on with this piece? Where do you think your band will come? What have been your highs and lows so far?
This could be an interesting one!

starperformer
14.03.2006, 17:07
Journey will be far too hard a test at this level - it will be carnage.

Accidental
14.03.2006, 19:11
Thanks for the vote of confidence chaps!
I personally think Journey is less stretching and less risky than Tristan was a couple of years ago, and there's just as much chance bands coming a cropper in the other sections so why single out the championship?
Imo it doesn't matter whether the test pieces are nigh-on impossible or stupidly easy. The best bands should still sound like the best bands if they're playing out of Tune a Day!

Pitch Shifter
14.03.2006, 19:28
Templars (although part of the COSB organisation) have always operated largely independently of COSB as I understand it. There may well have been a few favours called in, but I think they would probably have entered anyway :clap:

Yes I believe this is the case.

I would like to wish them all the very best.

davidquinlan
14.03.2006, 20:47
Well, I expect there to be a symphony of marches directly to the bar - unless James Cook(s) a cake to celebrate the Triumphant Rhapsod(ic )victory which i'm sure your Epic Brass band will be anxious to have. I guess we should all really Salute to Youth bands that are ambitious enough to enter the 3rd section contest though for thier own Entertainment(s). Any Variation on 9th and you should be there or there abouts I guess. It's likely to be a Challenging Brass band contest across the whole Spectrum of sections. Anyway, gotta go and meet a Mr Viscaya about a dog!

Beat that Mr S Performer!

You guys have far too much time on your hands.... shouldn't you be rehearsing or something?

:)

See yis in Stevenage......

Best of luck to all bands competing at the weekend!

ratley
14.03.2006, 23:14
Sorry, Ratley- the brass band gossip shop had told us that you had! Best wishes to you and good luck!

Thanks bbbrec! I got a bit worried about the rumour that we had withdrawn - especially as I've been working my bits off over those opening bars (just ask Yoofman - he knows I can swear , but I've surpassed myself!)....

I hope things are sorted at Becontree.

Lets all us 1st sectioners go for it, just to show the other areas that we CAN do it and then have a pint in the bar afterwards!

:guiness

Redhorn
15.03.2006, 00:19
Thanks bbbrec! I got a bit worried about the rumour that we had withdrawn - especially as I've been working my bits off over those opening bars (just ask Yoofman - he knows I can swear , but I've surpassed myself!)....

I hope things are sorted at Becontree.

Lets all us 1st sectioners go for it, just to show the other areas that we CAN do it and then have a pint in the bar afterwards!

:guiness

Yeah things are sorted here, I think!!! I think it will be a good day of music on Sunday. Will be good if you lot and us can repeat our trip to Harrogate of 2 years ago!
One of your front row (ive forgotten his name!) has been to a few of our practices fairly recently, as he lives over this way. Will be good to renew acquainances at the weekend!
I think the L&SC is growing in strength, and our bands are up there with the rest of them now.
It has to be said- those opening cornet bars are a joke! What was he thinking of!?

lewis
15.03.2006, 01:29
I personally think starperformer should reveal himself, and then he would owe many pints this weekend. I don't want to set myself (or any other bands) up for a fall, but I really think most champ bands in London will cope with Journey. It is turning out to be quite a nice piece but not all that taxing and I'm sure most other bands feel the same.

Good luck to all this weekend.

DaveR
15.03.2006, 01:36
I personally think starperformer should reveal himself, and then he would owe many pints this weekend.

Well, he's not daft is he! Why do you think he hasn't revealed himself?! ;)

Good luck to all this weekend.

Same from me. I'm really looking forward to this weekend now, I finally feel like I almost know my part! :tongue:

satchmo shaz
15.03.2006, 09:30
I would like to wish all the London bands good luck for the weekend, especially my friends at Wellwyn Garden City!
Come on Chris and HBB:tup
Go for it!!

Rapier
15.03.2006, 12:43
I hope Becontree and Redbridge get in amongst the prizes!

(And good luck to TJ, married to the best looking cornet player I know!) ;)

PeterBale
15.03.2006, 12:50
I'd also add my best wishes to Becontree and Redbridge ( and I'd better add Alliance to that as well!)

Lastly, good luck to all at Staines - hope you manage to claim at least a couple of scalps on Sunday ;)

Redhorn
15.03.2006, 13:16
Looking forward to reading your retrospective on us, Peter! ;-)

Redhorn
15.03.2006, 13:23
I personally think starperformer should reveal himself.....

Yeah come on -d--r-, time to come out of the closet!:cool:
We know who you are! ;)
Its only a matter of time! :D

Accidental
15.03.2006, 14:46
to be honest, knowing who Starperformer is just makes his comments about standards even more baffling - especially in the lower sections.
Did I just imagine Potters Bar's winning at Harrogate a couple of years ago, or are you blaming it on dodgy adjudication? ;)

Redhorn
15.03.2006, 15:13
So true, Accidental! If he played for one of the big boys his comments would be almost understandable- but as we know this isnt the case!
Also interesting that in post number 2 on this thread he doesnt even support his own band! I also wonder if his own MD knows who he really is!?.... ;-)

PS I notice you're lurking on this thread, star! You gonna 'come out'?? :-)

dyl
15.03.2006, 15:25
Ok folks - members have every right to remain anonymous here on tMP, so please do not try and get them to 'come out' as some call it - it is their decision and its a decision that has to be respected - irrespective of whether you agree with his/her comments. However, anonymous members should also realise that when they do choose to remain 'hidden' then their comments can be interpreted in a different way than if they were to put their name behind their posts.

So can we all please bear this in mind, and get back to the topic at hand?

Redhorn
15.03.2006, 15:29
Spoilsport! :tongue: ;)

Anyone know anything about ticketing arrangements for Stevenage. I know they USUALLY tell us that we have to buy a ticket in order to watch the other bands- but does anyone actually do this?.... :confused:

Flugelmahorn
15.03.2006, 18:14
Good luck to.....

Stonesfield, Amersham, Chalgrove and Hemel Hempstead. Looking forward to hearing Woodbridge in the 3rd section armed with their "imported" conductor and likewise Becontree with their front row cornet player from north of the border.... good luck Alan..!

supersplit
15.03.2006, 18:19
Good luck Redbridge!
I'm sure you can make it 5 in a row!
Even without me!

Accidental
15.03.2006, 18:37
Anyone know anything about ticketing arrangements for Stevenage. I know they USUALLY tell us that we have to buy a ticket in order to watch the other bands- but does anyone actually do this?.... :confused:
Just checked - our bandsmen's tickets are for our own section only again. :( I've managed to sneak into other sections before though - depends how jobsworth the peeps on the door are!

Redhorn
15.03.2006, 18:41
At least, judging by what youre saying, we dont have to pay to watch our OWN section this year!
The people on the door normally seem to be quite 'flexible'!
Daff- you should be able to spot Alan, hes playing top man for us on Sunday! Woo hoo!

andyh
15.03.2006, 21:31
Good luck to.....

Stonesfield, Amersham, Chalgrove and Hemel Hempstead. Looking forward to hearing Woodbridge in the 3rd section armed with their "imported" conductor and likewise Becontree with their front row cornet player from north of the border.... good luck Alan..!

We'll try not to disappoint ! Alan has certainly worked wonders with Woodbridge since taking us on, long may that continue :-)

Good luck to all the L&SC bands this coming weekend - especially to Becontree! (we don't mind loaning our MD to you, honest ;) )

Andy
Woodbridge Excelsior Band

Pitch Shifter
16.03.2006, 13:37
Good luck to.....

Thanks Ali.

I think we'll do well this year as I've been taking lessons on how to improve my dump cycle.

starperformer
16.03.2006, 16:13
"This could be one of the most keenly fought Championship contests of the whole regional championships this year with a whole group of bands more than capable of winning or at least claiming a qualification place."

4barsrest, well researched as usual?!

HBB
16.03.2006, 16:23
To be fair, many championships bands after Redbridge and Aveley are quite capable of taking 3rd place!

So stop trying to cause Conflict

Simon_Horn
16.03.2006, 16:34
To be fair, many championships bands after Redbridge and Aveley are quite capable of taking 3rd place!

So stop trying to cause Conflict

Have to disagree Ben, Starperformer is correct on this occasion - only really Redbridge, A&N, Staines and possibly Alliance in the running for qualification....I guess, i will get the chance to eat my words after the weekend eh? (come on big boys - don't let me down on this one!!)

lewis
16.03.2006, 17:05
So apparently Redbridge coming 7th at the Nationals, Aveley & Newham winner Yeovil and Alliance winner both the Brass at the Guild and the Senior Trophy in the last couple of years doesn't give L&SCR any strong championship section bands??????

London bands are now showing that can mix it with other areas and these comments are now outdated.

As for Redbridge and Aveley being the only two that could possible win the area, have people on this site such short memories to forget that Alliance came 2nd in 2003 & 2004?

I'm not saying that a London band is going to win the Nationals or the Open in the next few years but results tell the truth, and we're not doing badly. Equally I'm not saying that Alliance will definately win on Sunday but to say that London is still only about two bands is unfair!

basherbaggie man
16.03.2006, 17:05
4Bars rest have predicted us coming 6th - kiss of death?

Redhorn
16.03.2006, 17:35
They havent predicted us in the top 6 this year, thankfully! ;-) It was the kiss of death last year!

In a way I agree with what StarPerformer is inferring- they do seem to be sitting on the fence slightly on 4br. According to them nearly every 1st Section band can win the thing!

(Lewis- A&N might argue with you! You were actually 2nd in 2003/04. Good luck this year!)

DaveR
16.03.2006, 18:01
Come on guys - in the Yorkshire thread people were complaining that 4BR was too direct! :biggrin: We can't have it both ways!

David Pegram
16.03.2006, 18:14
Good luck to.....

Thanks for your kind thoughts?

Simon_Horn
16.03.2006, 18:14
I'd be interested to know exactly how 4barsrest do their predictions ....what sources (apart from the result book) do they reference? i.e do they use TMP prediction contest, prior knowledge of style considered by adjudicator, word of mouth, websites ... how busy a band is with concerts or frequency of entering contests etc..? I sometimes think that there is a danger in using past results for groups that are always prone to change of personnel on both conductor and player levels within a short space of time. Statistical predication is fine for a football team with player contracts etc or even higher section bands where consistency is more stable....but can such do justice in predicting the outcome for lower and mid-table bands? I guess we will see....

For instance, I think for Butlins a call was placed to the sec of each band to ask them how they are doing ....of course, no band is going to say 'well, to be honest with you - we've not yet had a full band at rehearsals' or 'to put it simply, the band think it will be lucky to get in the top ten' etc.!!

...and I guess the question is: can anyone think of a more reliable (or entertaining!) way than that which the good folks at 4barsrest.com provide for free and with such enthusiastic professionalism.

Redhorn
16.03.2006, 18:15
True Dave!
Who writes those reports/predictions anyway? And what info is it based on???....

starperformer
16.03.2006, 18:17
You can think what you like about the fact that no band from the area has placed at the Nationals or appeared at the Open for 15 years (I would argue that the verdict "they can mix it with the best" is the one that's outdated, but let's agree to disagree)

However, this area is definitely the least competitive - the stats are not lying on this one

HBB
16.03.2006, 18:33
I don't think that we're less competitive - all the bands I know are really going for it, that's really unfair - we may not be the best, but we definately have the competitive spirit.

How many other sections have 26bands in the 4th section eh!

I think I'll be pleasantly surprised when SP says a nice word about the L&SC region!

lewis
16.03.2006, 18:40
"There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics..."

Statastics are fine and statistically Redbridge are heads and shoulders above anybody else at the areas, but surely anybody that has actually sat and listened to this contest over the last few years knows that that isn' really the case. I know quite a few players at Redbridge now, and they certainly have commented on this being the case, as do Avely, so it seems rather strange that people outside of this contest seem to have a different opinion.

Tuba Miriam
16.03.2006, 19:19
However, this area is definitely the least competitive - the stats are not lying on this one

Competitive in what sense: intra-regionally or inter-regionally?

In one sense, whether L&SC Champ bands have a realistic competitive chance on the national stage or not is irrelevent, as the Areas is as much about maintaining/improving one's position in the table and competing against local rivals. The time for national competition comes later in the year.

This is possibly the most competitive L&SC Champ section line-up in a while, with any one of the following bands being more than capable of winning it: Redbridge; Aveley & Newham; Alliance; Staines; Zone One. In that sense, it's every bit as competitive as any other region.

To think of it in another way, If Black Dyke were magically transported into the area then in an ironic sense the contest, at least temporarily, would become less competitive because it would be very difficult for any other band to realistically win the contest. It's the match of abilities that contributes to a tough competition, regardless of your opinion of the standard ...

Redhorn
16.03.2006, 19:19
So, Ed, perhaps you should just stick to talking about the 3rd section?!.... I'd also agree with HBB's comments, I think we're every bit as competitive as any other region! The numbers of bands participating is testament to this! And results nationally in all sections over the past few years show that this region is up there with the rest! At this rate its only a matter of time!...

starperformer
16.03.2006, 19:46
In some other contests, they have lots of good bands pushing the standard higher by striving to improve. That's what I would call competitive.

In this area, there is a mixture of try-hards trying to stay up, and then there is rent-a-band, poach-a-band, the army etc. who will be spending this week getting 25 players together ready to take the top placings.

After that, there'll be 51 weeks for all of us to boast to the world about how amazing we all are - on an internet forum, open to all. You can't blame me for questioning the system just this once, it encourages healthy debate.

Redhorn
16.03.2006, 20:21
In some other contests, they have lots of good bands pushing the standard higher by striving to improve. That's what I would call competitive.

In this area, there is a mixture of try-hards trying to stay up, and then there is rent-a-band, poach-a-band, the army etc. who will be spending this week getting 25 players together ready to take the top placings.

After that, there'll be 51 weeks for all of us to boast to the world about how amazing we all are - on an internet forum, open to all. You can't blame me for questioning the system just this once, it encourages healthy debate.

But isnt this also the case in all the other regions?....
I strongly believe that the likes of Redbridge ARE pushing the standard higher and higher- the other bands want to compete with them, so will also push themselves higher. Again, surely this is the case with all regions!
And who cares if its a 'rent a band' 'army' or whatever, as long as they produce the goods. Again, yawn, its not just this region that works like that. Besides, Im sure Redbridge (for example) have had 99% of the same players for about the last 5 years anyway!
In footballing terms you could argue that Chelsea (by fair means or foul) have upped the limits, and now everyone else is wanting to catch them. Some clubs will bring players through the ranks, others will go out and spend, horses for courses! If anything the Premiership is at its most healthy, pretty much anyone can beat anyone. Without suggesting that Alan Roberts is Roman Abramovich ;-), or Melvin White is Jose Mourinho ;-) - there could be comparisons formed between the two movements, when we notice how success (claimed in any way) spurs on competition.
We may be a relatively lesser known 1st section band, but we have BELIEF and we also know what we want to achieve. Every band should be the same if its going to do well!

starperformer
16.03.2006, 20:27
Interesting you raise the (usually overused) football analogy - I was going to do the same, for the opposite reason! I can't think of a season when the Premiership has been less competitive. The winners and losers of that were decided in September. In that world too, a lot of locals view it as "the best league in the world" etc. despite obvious factual evidence against.

Redhorn
16.03.2006, 20:41
Put it this way- I support at League 1 football club who every year are the bookies favourites to go down. We have the most decrepid ground in the whole league, we join in when the away end sing 'S**t ground, no fans!'
A few weeks ago we were top of the league, we're hoping to get into at least the play offs at the end of the season.
We also got Chelsea in the last round of the cup. I queued up for 3 hours in the freezing cold to get tickets- I didnt realistically think we'd win, but that didnt stop me!
If we go up to the Championship, the chances are we'll get mullered and come straight down again- but I dont care, i just want to see us up there. The manager and the players must have the same belief too.

Now, apply all the above into brass banding! Do you see what Im on about?... If all the lower league football teams stopped 'competing' as they knew they wouldnt cut it with the big guns then we'd be left with nothing! Same with bands! I want to get promoted with my band, I dont want to join a big band, we'd probably come straight down again-but i dont care, I'll know that ive worked flippin hard to get there and that we've given them some competition!

brittm
16.03.2006, 21:39
[In this area, there is a mixture of try-hards trying to stay up, and then there is rent-a-band, poach-a-band, the army etc. who will be spending this week getting 25 players together ready to take the top placings. ]

Are you for real... I've been sad enough whilst waiting for the Midland retrospectives to trawl the threads and you seemed to have set out specifically to hack off the readers in every area but Yorkshire. I'm sure you know more about the bands in this area than I do but I find your tone offensive.

Please fill me in.
1. who is rent a band
2. who is poach a band
and
3. who is .....army a band....

I suggest, unless I've mis-quoted you, that you think about making your posts both less inflamatory and better informed.

Martin Britt
Soprano, Desford Colliery

snoromuoy
16.03.2006, 22:06
[In this area, there is a mixture of try-hards trying to stay up, and then there is rent-a-band, poach-a-band, the army etc. who will be spending this week getting 25 players together ready to take the top placings. ]

Are you for real... I've been sad enough whilst waiting for the Midland retrospectives to trawl the threads and you seemed to have set out specifically to hack off the readers in every area but Yorkshire. I'm sure you know more about the bands in this area than I do but I find your tone offensive.

Please fill me in.
1. who is rent a band
2. who is poach a band
and

I suggest, unless I've mis-quoted you, that you think about making your posts both less inflamatory and better informed.

Martin Britt
Soprano, Desford Colliery

Well said..

brasscrest
16.03.2006, 22:18
All right, boys and girls. I have had to delete several posts in this thread because they were tending toward personal attack rather than advancing the discussion. Let's try to discuss things without acting in an inappropriate manner, please.

Owen S
16.03.2006, 22:23
You can think what you like about the fact that no band from the area has placed at the Nationals or appeared at the Open for 15 years (I would argue that the verdict "they can mix it with the best" is the one that's outdated, but let's agree to disagree)

No-one said that in this thread. Lewis said "mix it with other areas". The two are different things.

This is usually referred to as the "straw man" fallacy - attacking something that wasn't actually said.

James Yelland
16.03.2006, 22:57

Out of interest, which contests are you speaking of?

In this area, there is a mixture of try-hards trying to stay up, and then there is rent-a-band, poach-a-band, the army etc.

Is the importation of rented/poached/military players a good or bad thing, are you saying? And if the answer is 'a bad thing', do your principals permit you to play in such bands (I'm assuming you are a bandsman, of course).

Di
16.03.2006, 23:04
Several more off topic and unpleasant posts have been removed. Second time of asking, please can we discuss the upcoming event in a sportmanlike manner. Thank you.

HBB
16.03.2006, 23:14
Good Luck Everyone!!! :d:d

Redhorn
16.03.2006, 23:58
Darn- looks like i've missed all the fun again on here tonight! ;-)
I suppose the good thing about closed adjudication is that potentially anyone COULD win, if circumstances dictate. One thing i've never understood though- why at the end of competitions are we always told 'the adjudicators have gone away to have the results checked' etc, etc. In the interest of stopping any 'fixing' arguments- should they not be simply led from the tent to the stage and have the results read out immediately?

Simon_Horn
17.03.2006, 01:19
Please fill me in.
1. who is rent a band
2. who is poach a band
and

I could give you some names....but won't - in the interest of keeping the peace on this thread. I'm sorry to miss all the action earlier but had a bit of preparation to do for a small matter on the weekend.

Here's a question for you all:

Q. I wonder which thread always ends up with a mod saying 'right guys, that's the second time i've asked nicely - please can we calm this conversation down now'
A. The thread which SP involves himself/herself in of course!

There's a serious question to this mail though and it is this - why are people getting soooooo eat up over comments of individuals on this and other threads.....jesus! take a chill pill or something :)

Best of luck to everyone on the weekend....especially Epping, EMMPB, Capital Concert, Staines and erm.. oh yeah, Royston!

Simon

vonny
17.03.2006, 07:12
I could give you some names....but won't - in the interest of keeping the peace on this thread. I'm sorry to miss all the action earlier but had a bit of preparation to do for a small matter on the weekend.

Here's a question for you all:

Q. I wonder which thread always ends up with a mod saying 'right guys, that's the second time i've asked nicely - please can we calm this conversation down now'
A. The thread which SP involves himself/herself in of course!

There's a serious question to this mail though and it is this - why are people getting soooooo eat up over comments of individuals on this and other threads.....jesus! take a chill pill or something :)

Best of luck to everyone on the weekend....especially Epping, EMMPB, Capital Concert, Staines and erm.. oh yeah, Royston!

Simon

Simon this thread is to discuss matters relating to the L & SC contest, and although many are there are some who are using it for unrelated banter. It as got nothing to do with taking a chill pill, it's down to respect and encouraging one another as we engage in contests...

I wish all the bands taking part in the L&SC contest all the best

Simon_Horn
17.03.2006, 07:28
Simon this thread is to discuss matters relating to the L & SC contest, and although many are there are some who are using it for unrelated banter. It as got nothing to do with taking a chill pill, it's down to respect and encouraging one another as we engage in contests...

I wish all the bands taking part in the L&SC contest all the best

Yes, my comment was in relation to those posts discussing the L&SC contest - or else I would have posted the comments in another more appropriate thread??!

Unfortunately, I only logged on late last night so didn't see any unrelated posts that were subsequently deleted by mods and as such my comments did not relate to such perhaps 'off-topic' posts.

My comment about taking a 'chill pill' was to those on this thread that seemed to be getting upset over comments like "southern bands are rent-a-bands, poach-a-bands and army-a-bands!" which I didn't really finally offensive at all and just a good bit of banter which midly amused me!

If you feel that such comments are not related to the forthcoming area contest in Stevenage then obviously Iím on the wrong page since to my mind they are relevant to contesting in this area and it just so happens that the main yearly contest for this area i.e the 'areas' is this weekend!!

Not being pedantic but I believe in self regulation of open forums in the main and don't think that people busting blood vessels over sometimes outrageous and sometimes inaccurate comments is actually good for the development of this forum - so again I say to those who maybe should be getting blood pressure checked "CHILL OUT!!"

Note: Please let me emphasise that these comments only relate to those 'on-topic' posts and do not apply to any comments that were deleted before I veiwed them last night. If certain people start being offensive by personal attacks then I agree that they should be removed from the forum by mods.

Simon

starperformer
17.03.2006, 11:14
I'm really gutted to have missed out on any (rare!) excitement - if anyone has some offensive comments to make to me, please do pass them on by private message or in person, I promise I'll enjoy reading regardless of content, and keep it to myself. If I then believe you specifically have a genuine cause to take offence because of me, I'll buy you a pint in Stevenage.

Anyway I'm now a bit bored of the whole SP thing for this year [I'm obviously enduring a bit of a "vinter of discontent"?]. As the more astute of you will already know, it's only messin' - but it got the debate going, right? (well actually, maybe a bit too much! but the constant stream of bland good luck messages on other areas threads shows how boring they have it). Those who know me know that I actually hold very few of the views expressed here on this thread - but a healthy debate is one where you challenge your own views. It's always a lot more fun playing devil's advocate, until the inherent self-inconsistencies start to hurt you.

Best of luck to everyone in Stevenage, I'm sure it will be a great occasion, and I'll see you on the trade stands, where I for one will be having a quick blow through some tunez - I can promise you the muppet show theme.

brittm
17.03.2006, 11:15
My comment about taking a 'chill pill' was to those on this thread that seemed to be getting upset over comments like "southern bands are rent-a-bands, poach-a-bands and army-a-bands!" which I didn't really finally offensive at all and just a good bit of banter which midly amused me!

Simon... good for you, but I've been involved in a couple of bands that were written off as rent-a-bands and it's a tired old story that is based in jealousy. The comments were directed at every band in the London area writing them off as rubish or bought. If you don't mind being labelled as rubish or bought then that's great.

I don't actually play in the London area but I still get bored at the same old tacky jibes.

For clarity, I logged off after posting at 9ish last night (and my post is still there!) but would be interested in hearing about any comments directed towards me...

Martin Britt

Flugelmahorn
17.03.2006, 12:32
Thanks for your kind thoughts?

um..........?????.............thanks for the kind thoughts as in I did or I didn't....???

dyl
17.03.2006, 12:44
We'd just like to clarify things once and for all, before we request some sort of normality here!

If certain people start being offensive by personal attacks then I agree that they should be removed from the forum by mods.

Simon - that is exactly why posts were removed last night. Abusive and offensive personal attacks are not permitted on tMP. Period.

looks like i've missed all the fun again on here tonight

I'm really gutted to have missed out on any (rare!) excitement - if anyone has some offensive comments to make to me, please do pass them on by private message

Fun? Excitement? There was nothing funny or exciting about some of the abusive messages we had to deal with last night. We have far more important things to do than have to baby-sit a thread such as we had to do last night. And by the way, the tMP PM system must not be used to send offensive messages - the same rules apply to PMs that apply to normal messages - so please don't take it upon yourself to attract these sort of messages, otherwise we will have no option but to disable the PM system for certain members.

Ok, last night has been and gone. It wasn't nice, and to be totally honest it doesn't bode well for this thread once people have some actual results to disagree with! ;) So, this is a final request from the whole team, by all means discuss the topics raised within this thread, but please do so within the tMP Rules & Guidelines.

As has been suggested already, let's all take a chill pill, and best of luck to all bands competing at the L&SC and all other regional contests this weekend.

Yoofman
17.03.2006, 14:38
Put it this way- I support at League 1 football club who every year are the bookies favourites to go down. We have the most decrepid ground in the whole league, we join in when the away end sing 'S**t ground, no fans!'

Now, apply all the above into brass banding! Do you see what Im on about?... If all the lower league football teams stopped 'competing' as they knew they wouldnt cut it with the big guns then we'd be left with nothing! Same with bands! I want to get promoted with my band, I dont want to join a big band, we'd probably come straight down again-but i dont care, I'll know that ive worked flippin hard to get there and that we've given them some competition!

BBBRec - I completely agree with you! I too support a league one club that drew Charlton away in R5 of the FA Cup - and we get the same dedicated mad people turning up to watch us play every Saturday!

On the banding front I also agree. Sandhurst have worked very hard to get to where we are and we'll go into the contest on Sunday with a 'nothing to lose' attitude - since it's our first year in Section 1 - we'll do our best and hope that Mr. Horsfield likes the interpretation we give. If not, c'est la vie - that's contesting for you.:biggrin:

And re. Ratley's observations about the opening Semis in Voyage (see much earlier post), if I wrote exactly what she'd said on a rainy Sunday afternoon whilst trying (for the 53rd time) to get them right, the mods would chuck me off of here permanntly!!:D

Good luck to all in Section 1 this weekend, escpecially St. Albans City and Stuart. :p

Dave Payn
17.03.2006, 14:58
BBBRec - I completely agree with you! I too support a league one club that drew Charlton away in R5 of the FA Cup - and we get the same dedicated mad people turning up to watch us play every Saturday!

On the banding front I also agree. Sandhurst have worked very hard to get to where we are and we'll go into the contest on Sunday with a 'nothing to lose' attitude - since it's our first year in Section 1 - we'll do our best and hope that Mr. Horsfield likes the interpretation we give. If not, c'est la vie - that's contesting for you.:biggrin:

And re. Ratley's observations about the opening Semis in Voyage (see much earlier post), if I wrote exactly what she'd said on a rainy Sunday afternoon whilst trying (for the 53rd time) to get them right, the mods would chuck me off of here permanntly!!:D

Good luck to all in Section 1 this weekend, escpecially St. Albans City and Stuart. :p

Ah you've just reminded me. When I said good luck to all bands referring particularly to those I've had the pleasure of playing with or depping for, I omitted Sandhurst Silver! My apologies (Poor old Sandhurst booked me to play in a SCABA Entertainments contest on flugel a couple of years back where I attempted to play the solo from A Light Walk from memory standing up. Nailed it in the final rehearsal..... didn't quite happen come the contest! Ho hum!)

Nevertheless, good luck to Sandhurst Silver too! Please say hi to Roger Burke from me.

DaveR
17.03.2006, 15:55
Ah you've just reminded me. When I said good luck to all bands referring particularly to those I've had the pleasure of playing with or depping for, I omitted Sandhurst Silver! My apologies (Poor old Sandhurst booked me to play in a SCABA Entertainments contest on flugel a couple of years back where I attempted to play the solo from A Light Walk from memory standing up. Nailed it in the final rehearsal..... didn't quite happen come the contest! Ho hum!)

Nevertheless, good luck to Sandhurst Silver too! Please say hi to Roger Burke from me.

Thanks Dave! There's a lot of Sandhurst's players reading (lurking on!) this particular thread and I'm sure they'll all appreciate your good wishes!

I remember that contest, although I don't remember you not nailing the solo. I've either blanked it from my memory, or it wasn't as bad as you thought it was! ;) Or maybe I was just pre-occupied with the mess I was making of my own part! :biggrin:

IYOUNG
17.03.2006, 16:10
If I can add my best wishes to the guys at Sandhurst especially Humphrey and Derek play well and enjoy your section 1 debut

Ian

andywooler
17.03.2006, 17:05
Having just read the preview page on 4BR, I did notice that they need a geography lesson:

"there are regular contests from Great Yarmouth to Stevenage throughout the year"

emailk from disgusted of Hove already sent to them but if they don't know where contests are held down here, I don't hold out much hope for their predictions outside of the top section!

starperformer
17.03.2006, 17:21
4barsrest focus entirely on bands that they are interested in, i.e. ones that were good at the time they were playing. I often wonder why they even bother writing previews of areas from which they may never have even heard of the bands. They are just as clueless on the North. Can't really blame them though, why should they take notice.

Accidental
17.03.2006, 18:03
emailk from disgusted of Hove already sent to them but if they don't know where contests are held down here, I don't hold out much hope for their predictions outside of the top section!
Agreed Andy! A good case in point is their assessment of LGB as an unknown quantity when a cursory glance at the SCABA results archive would show what they're capable of. Good luck to Ian and co - give 'em hell!

Oh well, another 48 hours and it'll all be over for another year. Good luck to everyone who's tackling Journey, especially Alliance & Welwyn (see you in the bar Bunny?), but my money's on Melvyn and Redbridge making it 5 in a row and doing us proud at the RAH again come October.

HBB
17.03.2006, 18:10
Agreed Andy! A good case in point is their assessment of LGB as an unknown quantity when a cursory glance at the SCABA results archive would show what they're capable of. Good luck to Ian and co - give 'em hell!

Oh well, another 48 hours and it'll all be over for another year. Good luck to everyone who's tackling Journey, especially Alliance & Welwyn (see you in the bar Bunny?), but my money's on Melvyn and Redbridge making it 5 in a row and doing us proud at the RAH again come October.

Damn Right - you can byuy me a drink!!!

IanHeard
17.03.2006, 19:25
Good luck to `Sarf` London`s finest.........Mike Gray and Crystal Palace , their first appearance in the First Section for a long time.
Ian & Emma Heard.(CPB 1986-1997).
Soundhouse Brass.
Plymouth.

P.S Mike, check your flies!

Dave Payn
17.03.2006, 20:51
Good luck to `Sarf` London`s finest.........Mike Gray and Crystal Palace , their first appearance in the First Section for a long time.
Ian & Emma Heard.(CPB 1986-1997).
Soundhouse Brass.
Plymouth.

P.S Mike, check your flies!

In fact, Mike. Check you've actually got yer trousers on! ;) :)

Dave Payn
Crystal Palace Band 1979-99

ratley
18.03.2006, 14:48
Hmmm.....Interesting to note that it's now 1.45pm on Saturday afternoon and there are no orders of play on 4br for L&SC 3rd and 2nd Sections. I know the 4br boys can't be everywhere at once, but it seems that yet again we have been left off....Does anyone know what's going on or are all you tmpers at Stevenage? :-?

Will the Sec
18.03.2006, 16:16
Third Section Results

1 Norfolk Wherry 184
2 LBG 182
3 Chinnor 180
4 Epsom and Ewell 178
5 Fulham 177

Croydon came ninth... more when known.....

Laserbeam bass
18.03.2006, 16:25
Third Section Results

1 Norfolk Wherry 184
2 LBG 182
3 Chinnor 180
4 Epsom and Ewell 178
5 Fulham 177

Congrats to the qualifiers and especially Fulham :clap: Let's hope we can make it a family top 6 when my bands gets on stage tomorrow morning ;)

Flugelmahorn
18.03.2006, 16:39
Congrats to the qualifiers. Very unlucky David and Chinnor - had you guys down as a very close 2nd behind Norfolk. Thought the band played very well indeed.

Listened to the whole section and got the top 4 right - in a slightly different order....!

Dave Payn
18.03.2006, 18:53
Third Section Results

1 Norfolk Wherry 184
2 LBG 182
3 Chinnor 180
4 Epsom and Ewell 178
5 Fulham 177

First year in 3rd section.... so well done Fulham! Weh-hey!

Dave Payn
18.03.2006, 18:59
Hmmm.....Interesting to note that it's now 1.45pm on Saturday afternoon and there are no orders of play on 4br for L&SC 3rd and 2nd Sections. I know the 4br boys can't be everywhere at once, but it seems that yet again we have been left off....Does anyone know what's going on or are all you tmpers at Stevenage? :-?

And the third section results aren't even on there yet. However, the two sections completed in Wales have both the draws and the results. Still, it's only the L&SC so they don't matter, obviously.....

Dave Payn
18.03.2006, 19:06
And the third section results aren't even on there yet. However, the two sections completed in Wales have both the draws and the results. Still, it's only the L&SC so they don't matter, obviously.....

And they've got results in from the north of England.

Someone tell 'em there's a contest going on in Stevenage too, eh?

DaveR
18.03.2006, 19:24
First year in 3rd section.... so well done Fulham! Weh-hey!

Indeed - well done Paul, that's a great result. Hope you help us do as well tomorrow in our first year in the 1st section! ;)

Will the Sec
18.03.2006, 19:30
3rd Section L&SC
Norfolk Wherry 184
LGB 182
Chinnor 180
Epsom and Ewell 178
Fulham 177
Hangleton 176
Stantonbury 175
Woodbridge Excelsior 174
Croydon 173
St Sebastians 171
EMMPB 170
Littleport 169
Hemel Hempstead 167
Bradwell 166
Hilgay (Withdrew)

Will the Sec
18.03.2006, 19:38
Looks like Norfolk Wherry have been promoted again! An excellent achievement.

What odds on them being in the Championship Section within 5 years, I wonder?

andywooler
18.03.2006, 20:03
Well done to LGB - have just spoken with an ecstatic Ian Stewart - I wonder if 4br will manage to get their name right in the post contest review? ;)

Accidental
18.03.2006, 20:39
Fantastic result for LGB :clap: :clap: :clap:
lets hope Ian's luck works for us tomorrow too!

brassbailey
18.03.2006, 21:38
Anyone out there with the 2nd section results,have found 4BR totally useless as far as L&SC is concerned.
Thanks

lauren
18.03.2006, 21:39
Congratulations Norfolk Wherry, very well deserved, yet again im sure.
Hope to see you all again in the Summer.

lauren
18.03.2006, 21:41
Anyone out there with the 2nd section results,have found 4BR totally useless as far as L&SC is concerned.
Thanks

I think it's L&SC thats the problem, not 4barsrest.

brassbailey
18.03.2006, 21:43
I think it's L&SC thats the problem, not 4barsrest.

In what way??

lauren
18.03.2006, 21:45
In what way??

they are just very maticulous with their administration, and may take longer than other regions.

brassbailey
18.03.2006, 21:52
they are just very maticulous with their administration, and may take longer than other regions.

Fair enough, but the other regionals have had the draw,and now the results on at 4BR site the draw for most of the day except L&SC which I thought was nothing to do with the organisers but 4BR having representitives at each location sending the draws and results through the 'wire', there again I may be wrong in that assumption, who does the retrospectives then??

Will the Sec
18.03.2006, 21:53
It's more likely that it was a due to a lack of 4BR presence at Stevenage. I certainly didn't see anyone.

DaveR
18.03.2006, 21:55
Isn't our very own Mr Bale working for 4BR this weekend at Stevenage? Or is that just tomorrow?:confused:

brassbailey
18.03.2006, 21:57
It's more likely that it was a due to a lack of 4BR presence at Stevenage. I certainly didn't see anyone.

Thanks for that Will, that's the point I was making, did they turn up at all,from your comments if they were they were not in evidence

By the way Will good result ,, got that from TmP and NOT 4BR!!!!!!!!.

lauren
18.03.2006, 22:19
Still no 2nd section results then?

ryansonel
18.03.2006, 22:27
hey what were the results for third and second sections today at Stevenage?

Redhorn
18.03.2006, 22:31
Isn't our very own Mr Bale working for 4BR this weekend at Stevenage? Or is that just tomorrow?:confused:

No, Peter is there tomorrow only.

Shocking that 4br havent even got the draw on their site, let alone the results! They only have to look on here, or phone someone! The retrospectives for today will be interesting! :confused:

brassbailey
18.03.2006, 22:33
No, Peter is there tomorrow only.

Shocking that 4br havent even got the draw on their site, let alone the results! They only have to look on here, or phone someone! The retrospectives for today will be interesting! :confused:

Totally agree Dave!!

DaveR
18.03.2006, 22:33
The retrospectives for today will be interesting! :confused:

Or non-existent! Thanks for the clarification re. Peter too! ;)

PeterBale
18.03.2006, 22:39
Hi folks,

I've just got in from our concert with Kettering - where I met Vonny & Keeley for the first time - and I'm as surprised as anyone to find there's no information up. When I spoke to Iwan on Friday he confirmed that 4barsrest had someone coming down especially to cover Saturday, so I don't know what's happened - sorry :(

Redhorn
18.03.2006, 22:45
Kettering CB any good, Peter?...

Will the Sec
18.03.2006, 22:48
Second Section
Jersey brass
Denham
Egham
Epping
Betteshanger
ELB
Tilbury
Brighton
Grimsdyke
Cawston
Ware
YWD
Fairlop
Hitchin
Capital BrassResults courtesy of Sarah Bell ELB

ratley
18.03.2006, 22:49
Well (me being a saddo and all that), I've been watching 4br all day and am really 'not impressed' with the lack of 4br coverage. All the other area results are in, but in L&SC the draws still haven't been posted and it's 9.45!!!! PM!!!! The page layout has changed, so I hope that some results will be posted soon :|.

BTW, the only reason I have been indoors all day is that my band have forbidden me to go out as I'm so accident prone before a contest. I haven't told them that I tripped over Mogwai this morning and bruised my hand...:-?

Redhorn
18.03.2006, 22:49
Totally agree Dave!!

Meant to say, Chris- I thought the trio sounded brilliant on Sunday! Did you manage to sort Nobby out last night though?...;)

Redhorn
18.03.2006, 22:50
Isnt that two in a row for Jersey? I spot a trend here!!!! Hope we can break it tomorrow!

brassbailey
18.03.2006, 22:57
Meant to say, Chris- I thought the trio sounded brilliant on Sunday! Did you manage to sort Nobby out last night though?...;)

I thought the band as a whole sounded quite on form, Nobby and I did some extra bits with Garry last night ,trouble is hope we have a get together tomorrow before the stage to sort out a few bits with 'our fluff'

Will the Sec
18.03.2006, 22:58
Yep, third section last year and second section this year for Jersey.

And a national title last september thrown into the mix for good measure....

David Pegram
18.03.2006, 23:21
We at Chinnor wish LGB and Norfolk good luck at finals you will do the area proud.We are delighted with our 3rd place and promotion to 2nd Section.

Yoofman
18.03.2006, 23:26
Well (me being a saddo and all that), I've been watching 4br all day and am really 'not impressed' with the lack of 4br coverage. All the other area results are in, but in L&SC the draws still haven't been posted and it's 9.45!!!! PM!!!! The page layout has changed, so I hope that some results will be posted soon :|.

BTW, the only reason I have been indoors all day is that my band have forbidden me to go out as I'm so accident prone before a contest. I haven't told them that I tripped over Mogwai this morning and bruised my hand...:-?

Well you shouldn't have got in her way then!!!;)

Just give her a big scratchy on head and she'll be fine ...

I hope you'll still be able to play those semis in the morning, Rat ...!

Totally agree re. 4BR. It's unacceptable, once again London bands are last as far as they're concerned.:(

Will the Sec
18.03.2006, 23:28
Well done, Dave. I won't tell you what Steve Clapton said when I went "babaBUMPbum, babaBUMPbum" bright and early this morning...

Ray.Scotcher
18.03.2006, 23:28
Just got back from the celebations. Fantastic result for us at Chinnor. Looking forward to the second section nect year. Congrats to LGB and Norfolk.

Redhorn
19.03.2006, 00:14
Have you got the 2nd section updated league table on that spreadsheet, Will? Cant seem to access it if you have!
By my reckoning thats Jersey and Denham Hendon (both at 1st attempt) up to the 1st. Brighton and CCB fall through the trap door.

EDIT: seems CCB are reprieved by virtue of Fulbourn not participating this year. They fall down with Brighton.

GBH
19.03.2006, 00:58
EDIT: seems CCB are reprieved by virtue of Fulbourn not participating this year. They fall down with Brighton.

Yeh we're rather hoping so. Such a complete mare of a performance compared to how well we could play it. You rarely play as well as you do in rehearsal but this was so far wide of it I did wonder if the same 25 people were on stage! We certainly had no delusion we were in the frame but all the same we don't think it was worthy of last place. Someones goto come last though I guess.

YWD have got to be pretty gutted with their 12th too considering how they played - probably not top 3 but hardly 12th.

Still we'll keep battling and be back next year to fight those contest nerves.

G

MartinT
19.03.2006, 00:59
Well done, Dave and Chinnor Band! A richly deserved result.

Martin Taylor

Roger Thorne
19.03.2006, 07:22

An apology from Iwan appears on the 4BR website:

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=2861

;)

David Pegram
19.03.2006, 07:22
Congrats to the qualifiers. Very unlucky David and Chinnor - had you guys down as a very close 2nd behind Norfolk. Thought the band played very well indeed.

Listened to the whole section and got the top 4 right - in a slightly different order....!
Thanks Ali if your back in this area we are on the look out for a quality cornet player,join the revolution.

WhatSharp?
19.03.2006, 09:56
Yeh we're rather hoping so. Such a complete mare of a performance compared to how well we could play it. You rarely play as well as you do in rehearsal but this was so far wide of it I did wonder if the same 25 people were on stage! We certainly had no delusion we were in the frame but all the same we don't think it was worthy of last place. Someones goto come last though I guess.

YWD have got to be pretty gutted with their 12th too considering how they played - probably not top 3 but hardly 12th.

Still we'll keep battling and be back next year to fight those contest nerves.

G

Thanks G that's really made me feel better. Gutted is a bit of an understatement :D but thats contesting for you (though I made a complete balls up and we had a bit of a sticky moment in the last movement so it was never going to be a top 4 finish). Only danger for us is it means we now have to get a really good result next year to stay up! (jeez from top of the table to bottom in one fell swoop!). We heard Jersey through the doors and they sounded superb, well done guys thoroughly deserved.

SheldonBarwick
19.03.2006, 10:15
Well done to David and all at Chinnor Silver. A great result for you.

David Pegram
19.03.2006, 10:34
Well done to David and all at Chinnor Silver. A great result for you.
Good luck to you and all yours today.

Dave Payn
19.03.2006, 10:52
I suppose to be fair to them (which I haven't always been) 4br is a free service and as far as I'm aware are not contractually obliged to cover any part of any contest. I guess we've been spoilt in the past by them generally being so thorough.

Still, we know the results now.

yooflou
19.03.2006, 12:02
Just a quick note to say a thank you to David 2nd Euph of Fairlop who had to stay on stage and play Iamges again for us due to our 2nd Euph falling over and slicing her face and lip up at 12 o'clock yesterday. And a big WELL DONE to the rest of the band too!!!!! This is only my third contest and am still reeling from that fact that we will be going to the finals. Well done Jersey - sadly I missed your performance. Look forward to Harrogate.

picju96
19.03.2006, 13:38
Well done Jersey Premier Brass, I leave and you start winning. What's that all about?!

James Yelland
19.03.2006, 14:17
Second Section

Jersey brass
Denham
I seem to remember someone (it wasn't Mr Starperformer, was it?) suggesting that Denham Hendon Brass were looking for a quartet arrangement of Images of the Millennium. Looks like they found one, then...

Dave Payn
19.03.2006, 14:56
Good luck to you and all yours today.

And a hearty 'congratulations' from me too! Well done!

Will the Sec
19.03.2006, 16:57
OK, a further attempt at updating the tables for the second and third sections.

(Last night's attempt didn't accept an updated spreadsheet so I'm trying again.)

Edit - And again after observations by Owen. Absolutely unconfirmed, though.

Owen S
19.03.2006, 17:12
I've just got home after heading back to Egham to celebrate last night.

Congratulations to Jersey and to Denham. Also to us. :D

I wasn't intending to listen to anyone else, as I was sure that hearing another band cock up the cornet entry at bar 5 would send my nerves into overdrive, but eventually I realised I'd get very bored waiting till 6-30 otherwise.

I listened to bands 6 to 9. Before going in, I'd already heard through the doors that a few bands' lips were completely shredded by half-way through the third movement.

Jersey were excellent. Their performance was not perfect - there were a few splits in each movement - but they sounded like they'd really mastered the piece. They were also the only band I heard to even get close to filling the sports barn, when they opened up for the ending. I would expect them to be up in the top six next year as well, and they should do well at the finals.

Capital did OK, though it wasn't going to be near the top 6, and Yiewsley's performance was good overall and quite musical, despite the few problems. I think both results were a little harsh, and may have been affected by having to play either side of Jersey.

I didn't hear Denham because of the early draw, unfortunately, but best of luck to you all in Harrogate.

Oh, and to promotion and relegation, the table distributed with the results says: Jersey and Denham are promoted, Brighton and Fulbourn and Teversham RBL are relegated.

Di
19.03.2006, 17:13
Section 1:

Bands:

1. Haverhill Silver, Mark Ager, 13, 190
2. KM Medway, Graham Wilson, 7
3. Wantage Silver, Philip Bailey, 6, 188
4. Stonesfield Silver, Terry Brotherhood, 3, 187

Soloist prize: Soprano, KM Medway

From www.4bars.com (http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=2865)

David Pegram
19.03.2006, 17:51
Great stuff by more oxfordshire bands well done wantage stonefield,and now kidlington.

DaveR
19.03.2006, 18:30
Section 1:

Bands:

2. KM Medway, Graham Wilson, 7

From www.4bars.com (http://www.4bars.com)

Just to add another result here (until 4BR manage to get the whole lot out), Sandhurst came 7th. :woo

DaveR
19.03.2006, 18:33
Great stuff by more oxfordshire bands well done wantage and stonefield.

Indeed - they both had fairly early draws and very much set the standard for the day. Well done to Haverhill though - I heard most of the bands (think I only missed 3 out of the 16) and there was no doubt in my mind that they were the winners. :clap: Have a great time in Harrogate! :D

Owen S
19.03.2006, 18:37
OK, a further attempt at updating the tables for the second and third sections.

(Last night's attempt didn't accept an updated spreadsheet so I'm trying again.)
I just had a look, Will. The second section looks fine, though I don't have the unofficial table with me. However, in the third section, Woking have definitely folded, unfortunately, and I don't know whether Cantium, BAE, Castleton or Hilgay are still going. Looking at previous results, Cantium, Woking and Castleton would relegate under Rule (c) anyway, having not entered for three years.

Also, half the bands promoted or relegated into the section have 9.5+9 points, and the other half have 10.5+10, from 2004 and 2005.

Redhorn
19.03.2006, 19:26
1st section:

1. Haverhill
2. Medway
3. Wantage
4. Stonesfield
5. Horsham
6. Bedford
7. Sandhurst
8. Broseley
9. Cambridge
10. Regent
11. St Albans
12. Alder Valley
13. Chichester
14. Becontree
15. Crystal Palace
16. Colchester

Promoted: Wantage, Haverhill
Relegated: Chichester, Alder Valley

We are all absolutely gutted (and mystified!) by our 14th place! Absolutely lost for words afterwards. Most people we spoke to had us in the top 6! We heard some very bland performances today- and most of them beat us! Adjudicators notes were very unhelpful- my initial reaction was 'why do I bother!'
Will post again when calmed down! ;-)

PS Haverhill were winners from the moment they played. Fantastic stuff! (and I tipped them for 1st place on the prediction league!). Hearty congratulations to them and the other winners. Haverhill stand a v good chance of taking the crown at Harrogate!

Dave Payn
19.03.2006, 19:49
Just to add another result here (until 4BR manage to get the whole lot out), Sandhurst came 7th. :woo

A good 'marker' for your first time in the first section! Well done to Roger and the band!

I consider Roger and Crystal Palace's Mike Gray to be amongst the very best of lower section band trainers from my experience. (Amongst many talented folk in lower section band conductors). That you've both reached the first section from the lower reaches allied to the hard work from both bands' players, is a testament to that.

EDIT Yes, Crystal Palace didn't have a good result today but under MG I'm sure they'll come back better and stronger next year.

angei
19.03.2006, 20:07
Arrived back in sunny Norfolk this afternoon, after a weekend celebrating the fantastic results of the third section on Saturday morning in Stevenage! :woo
(Maybe not feeling quite that energetic! - more like -->:guiness :hammer )

Congratulations to everyone who competed in the third section - especially LGB and Chinnor! :clap: .

Di
19.03.2006, 20:11
Congratulations on your result Angei and also welcome and congratulations on your first post. :clap: What an excellent reason to post eh? :clap:

Magic Flute
19.03.2006, 20:17
Section 1:
2. KM Medway, Graham Wilson, 7, 189
5. Horsham Borough, Glenton Bacon, 4, 186
6. Bedford Town , C. Reeves, 15, 185
7. Sandhurst Silver, Roger Burke, 9, 184
8. Broseley Brass, Paul Fensom, 10, 183
9. City of Cambridge, C. Paterson, 16, 181
10. Regent Brass, Richard Ward, 1, 180
11. St. Albans City, Stuart Garman, 11, 179
12. Alder Valley Brass, S. Chislett, 12, 178
13. Chichester City, L. Bulchart, 2, 177
14. Becontree Brass, Graham Sheldon, 5, 175
15. Crystal Palace, Mike Gray, 8, 173
16. Colchester, M. Easener, 14, 172

Section 4:
1. Thundersley Brass, K. Schroeder, 18, 186
2. Waterbeach Brass, James Utting, 1, 185
3. Hungerford Town, T. Crouter, 11, 183
4. Watford, M. France, 2, 182

Results from: 4Bars Rest

The Cornet King
19.03.2006, 20:24
How many qualify from the London 4th section? 25 bands competed on the day...3 or 4 qualifiers??

David Pegram
19.03.2006, 20:30
How many qualify from the London 4th section? 25 bands competed on the day...3 or 4 qualifiers??
4 the rules are 25 and over.

The Cornet King
19.03.2006, 20:32
Cheers :tup
Just getting a list together who we're up against!

stephen_clapton
19.03.2006, 20:35
Looking over the results, its been a good weekend for Oxfordshire bands. Yesterday was great fun, and it was nice to see some old faces again. Roll on next year and the 2nd section :bounce

David Pegram
19.03.2006, 20:37
Cheers :tup
Just getting a list together who we're up against!
fear nobody with Garry at the helm.

Fridge
19.03.2006, 20:40
Anyone know full results for 4th section??

cornetcheese
19.03.2006, 20:47
Just back home after a strange weekend in Stevenage (could it have been anything else?) For my first experience L&SC banding, I have to say I was pretty impressed at the general standard! In comparing the bands to those up in Scotland that I have been very familiar with, I think the technical standard is actually a lot higher down here, particularly in the 2nd section, where I didn't hear one band that made a real meal of the piece (although I only heard 4)! The major difference to me was the sound of the bands here - in comparison with the ones up north, many (not all) had much harder sounds which emphasised tuning problems so perhaps that's where L&SC falls down?? Just a thought! That said, some bands I heard had great full rich sounds (Egham being one) which you don't hear very often!

In terms of the weekend personally, I was very pleased for Woodbridge after their performance - to have so many young players for whom this was their first contest outing I think they coped very well! It's always the same old story but if it wasn't for the nerve induced errors I reckon we could have featured much higher, but more experience will help that! They really have been a pleasure to conduct since taking over in January!

As for Becontree, I am still confused at our final placing - I thought our performance was pretty decent (apart from a few nervy moments and a loose set of triplets near the presto) and was shocked with the final 14th place. On a personal note though, I really have enjoyed playing again for the first time in about 3/4 years as they are a fantastic bunch and a decent band! I thoroughly enjoyed my "top man" experience today with them - a real confidence booster!

Congratulations to the winners, comiserations to the losers. I think, based on what I heard this weekend, there is a massive amount of potential in the L&SC region to really make a big mark on the national platform (as we've seen at recent national finals). Only 365 days until the next chance to really give it a shot!!!

Redhorn
19.03.2006, 20:56
Its worth saying too- I heard many people say what a great sound you had today, Alan! Shame they gave the best cornet prize to a soprano!

SteveT
19.03.2006, 21:01
Hot off the press

1st Aveley and Newham
2nd Staines
3rd Kidlington
4th Redbridge

Redhorn
19.03.2006, 21:09
1. Aveley and Newham, Nigel Taken, 11, 197
2. Staines Brass, Ian McElligott, 3, 196
3. Kidlington Concert Brass , Catherine Underwood, 9, 195
4. Redbridge Brass, Melvin White, 5, 193

From 4br!

Redbridge 4th!!?!??!?!??!?! Whats happened!??????

ratley
19.03.2006, 21:10
'Ave it Staines!!!!!!! Well done to jasonp and the gang!!!!!!!

:terrier :clap:

stephen_clapton
19.03.2006, 21:10

From 4br!

Congratulations to Jason and all at Staines, a fantastic result :clap:

Jan H
19.03.2006, 21:12
Woow, special congratulations to Kidlington Concert Brass! (MoominDave and the others) :clap:

ibrox
19.03.2006, 21:12
BBBRec said:
"Its worth saying too- I heard many people say what a great sound you had today, Alan! Shame they gave the best cornet prize to a soprano!"

Last time I looked it was a cornet!

David Cooper
Sop, KM Medway

Redhorn
19.03.2006, 21:15
Didnt say you didnt deserve it though, David! ;-) How come you werent there to collect the prize?.... :-)

PS Also- congrats to Stonesfield. Excellent result, really turned it around after last years result!

super_sop
19.03.2006, 21:15
congrats to staines, a cracking result well done J

ibrox
19.03.2006, 21:17
Had to get back to a sick wife!

Redhorn
19.03.2006, 21:21
Ah sorry about that! Hope the prize makes up for it, in some way! I guess its very rare for sops to win the prizes! Bet you're glad to see the end of that piece! ;-)

super_sop
19.03.2006, 21:23
well done staines!! a cracking result. well done J

sparkling_quavers
19.03.2006, 21:28
Well done Jason!!!!!! Certainly a fantastic result for Staines!

Yoofman
19.03.2006, 21:34
Congrats to Jason and all at Staines - what a fabulous result - enjoy the RAH!

super_sop
19.03.2006, 21:58
LOl ive just spoken to J and Kaz, and to say he is happy is something of an understatement!! he probably wont remember much about this afternoon, hes completely rat *****!!!!
well done mate when you see this. hope your heads not hurting to much!!!!

ibrox
19.03.2006, 22:00
Ah sorry about that! Hope the prize makes up for it, in some way! I guess its very rare for sops to win the prizes! Bet you're glad to see the end of that piece! ;-)

Sort of, but it didn't give me too many sleepless nights. Always nice to get some recognition though!

Maestro
19.03.2006, 22:08
Congratulations to my old mates at Staines. Fantastic result. See you all in October.

andyh
19.03.2006, 22:24
Just back home after a strange weekend in Stevenage (could it have been anything else?) For my first experience L&SC banding, I have to say I was pretty impressed at the general standard!
<snip>
In terms of the weekend personally, I was very pleased for Woodbridge after their performance - to have so many young players for whom this was their first contest outing I think they coped very well! It's always the same old story but if it wasn't for the nerve induced errors I reckon we could have featured much higher, but more experience will help that! They really have been a pleasure to conduct since taking over in January!
Alan is far too modest! Yes, we had a few new players and nerves did play a part but what isn't obvious from the result is the fact that Alan turned us around from last year's 15th place to this years 8th place. If that is what Alan can achieve in just 10 weeks the rest of you had better look out next year!

I'd also like to mention Jackie Walker. Had she not stepped up to the challenge when our last MD departed in August last year I very much
doubt if there would have been any band for Alan to take charge of in January.

Andy Hewett
Woodbridge Excelsior

angei
19.03.2006, 22:41
Congratulations on your result Angei and also welcome and congratulations on your first post. :clap: What an excellent reason to post eh? :clap:
Thanks very much Di - Norfolk Wherry were over the moon with the result!:tup

nickperc1
19.03.2006, 22:57
Alan also played a blinding cornet solo for Becontree today- a star in the making

brassbailey
19.03.2006, 23:47

From 4br!

THEY DREW No.5!!!!!!!!!

cornetcheese
19.03.2006, 23:49
THEY DREW No.5!!!!!!!!!

hahahahahaha!!! hilarious!!!!!

nickperc1
19.03.2006, 23:50
obviously fionas hunch was working overtime

brassbailey
19.03.2006, 23:51
Just back home after a strange weekend in Stevenage (could it have been anything else?) For my first experience L&SC banding, I have to say I was pretty impressed at the general standard! In comparing the bands to those up in Scotland that I have been very familiar with, I think the technical standard is actually a lot higher down here, particularly in the 2nd section, where I didn't hear one band that made a real meal of the piece (although I only heard 4)! The major difference to me was the sound of the bands here - in comparison with the ones up north, many (not all) had much harder sounds which emphasised tuning problems so perhaps that's where L&SC falls down?? Just a thought! That said, some bands I heard had great full rich sounds (Egham being one) which you don't hear very often!

As for Becontree, I am still confused at our final placing - I thought our performance was pretty decent (apart from a few nervy moments and a loose set of triplets near the presto) and was shocked with the final 14th place. On a personal note though, I really have enjoyed playing again for the first time in about 3/4 years as they are a fantastic bunch and a decent band! I thoroughly enjoyed my "top man" experience today with them - a real confidence booster!

Congratulations to the winners, comiserations to the losers. I think, based on what I heard this weekend, there is a massive amount of potential in the L&SC region to really make a big mark on the national platform (as we've seen at recent national finals). Only 365 days until the next chance to really give it a shot!!!

Alan ,you played an absolute corker today with us at Becontree - Only 365 days to go?????
Perhaps the most surprised position of the section coming 14th. was a bit harsh!!

cornetcheese
19.03.2006, 23:52
Alan is far too modest! Yes, we had a few new players and nerves did play a part but what isn't obvious from the result is the fact that Alan turned us around from last year's 15th place to this years 8th place. If that is what Alan can achieve in just 10 weeks the rest of you had better look out next year!

I'd also like to mention Jackie Walker. Had she not stepped up to the challenge when our last MD departed in August last year I very much
doubt if there would have been any band for Alan to take charge of in January.

Andy Hewett
Woodbridge Excelsior

Thanks for the kind words Andy! I would like to echo that sentiment re. Jackie - the work she put in to keep the band ticking along has to really be applauded. The standard of the junior players has also really impressed me a great deal - all very much down to Jackie's hard work and dedication!

brassbailey
19.03.2006, 23:54
BBBRec said:
"Its worth saying too- I heard many people say what a great sound you had today, Alan! Shame they gave the best cornet prize to a soprano!"

Last time I looked it was a cornet!

David Cooper
Sop, KM Medway

David it was nice to bump into your dad today (several times in fact!) but never got round to catching up with the news, perhaps another contest!!! congrats on today and give Ron my best wishes.

NeilW
19.03.2006, 23:56
PS Also- congrats to Stonesfield. Excellent result, really turned it around after last years result!

Thank you. We were very pleased with it. We came off feeling pleased that we'd pretty much done what we rehe***** - which is always nice!

Our take on the verbal comments from the stage (and I gather he said much the same thing last week in Derby) and what was written in our comments was that he was looking for "what was written on the score - tempos, dynamics and accents etc" and that 's what we'd tried to give him.
I didn't hear Becontree, so I can't say what you did, however we did pick the first two "correctly" and they were both "exciting" performances. I didn't hear Wantage either, I'm afraid.

Anyway, congratulations to Chinnor, Wantage and Kidlington for good local results to us.

Neil.
Neil.

markyboy
19.03.2006, 23:56
Congrats to all prize winners and Gavin Hall (former Meltham cornet player) on winning best soloist.

brassbailey
19.03.2006, 23:57
hahahahahaha!!! hilarious!!!!!

I was being bl**dy serious!!!!????>>>!!!!!!

cornetcheese
19.03.2006, 23:57
Alan ,you played an absolute corker today with us at Becontree - Only 365 days to go?????
Perhaps the most surprised position of the section coming 14th. was a bit harsh!!

Cheers - I have to confess, I was pretty chuffed with how it went especially after a big break from playing regularly! When I was younger I used to bottle quite a deal, but for some reason, now I just don't get so shaky... Maybe it's down to the obscene number of contests I ended up doing up north???

I still maintain 14th was very harsh, especially considering the great work that the band (and Graham!!) have put in... All the more reason to win it next year!!!

Redhorn
20.03.2006, 00:05
I'm still seething! ;-) Yeah, draw number 5 was a bogey number today!
Were we really that bad?.....

Am still narked off by his patronising comments towards the horn cadenza! What he SAID and what he WROTE were completely different views!
seeth.... seeth..... seeth! ;-)

Please do away with the prize fund and get 2 adjudicators next year!

nickperc1
20.03.2006, 00:09
if they have 2 adjudicators then they can have totally conflicting views and final positions become even more of a lottery- but agree with bbbrec that something needs to be done differently

cornetcheese
20.03.2006, 00:15
Since 2003 (I think) Scotland has used 2 adjudicators and I do think it has made a difference to the perception of the results as people seem to think that if 2 adjudicators give you a poor placing, something must be wrong!! Ask any banders up north and I think all of them would say they have preferred the new format for adjudication, but then the cost to the association has been higher I assume. One option would be to put an established adjudicator in the box with a younger, less established one - this gives the younger adjudicators a chance to gain valuable experience, while providing a second opinion on the performances. Just a thought!

Redhorn
20.03.2006, 00:20
Thats exactly it! If we had won then id be on here saying 'stick with one adjudicator', whereas if wed come 14th with two then theres more chance that we did something badly wrong- which we could address.
I was trying to explain the whole process to a relative this evening, someone who has no idea about brass bands- but even she thought it very odd that its just down to one mans opinion.
Perhaps we should go for 3 in the box?.... Theres all sorts of different ways I suppose, and not every one will be happy with all of them

postie
20.03.2006, 00:32
Very well done to Raspberry's old band Letchworth Garden City on coming in 6th place well done to all at the band.

PeterBale
20.03.2006, 01:02
Just back from Stevenage so just some brief, initial thoughts:

1st section: Haverhill worthy winners, with most of the listeners seeming to agree, and KM Medway scored highly with me for their overall sound as much as anything else. For me, David Horsefield under-estimated the importance of solo cornet in Voyage - not to detract at all from the award to the best soprano. Many bands nearly came unstuck when they hit the cornet solo towards the end, and I'd endorse the comments about Alan with Becontree - totally secure, and holding things together well.

I can't fathom out Becontree's low placing either, as I had them around 6/7. Overall, not a good day for euphonium players, and many of the horns had problems making it sound musical. Now to try and make snese of my notes to write up the retrospective - and to try and see why some of the placings were so different!

Championship: Staines well received in the hall, and very exciting at times, and Kidlington excellent value for 3rd - nice one moomindave ;) . A little surprised at Redbridge's 4th, as I thought there's was a well-controlled reading. Congratulations to Aveley on the win, and the euph prize as well.

One of those days when there were very few really bad performances, but very few perfect ones either! Several bands did well in the fast, exciting passages, and slipped up in the slow sections - the number of bands where the cornet and euphonium failed to finish their duet together was amazing! One more quibble: a few sops seemed to read "declamato" as "let's see if we can blow the roof off" (I thought Kidlington's sop was about the most musical on the day). Some good bass playing, especially good tone from Staines, Friary Guildford and Zone One, whilst that chap with Ipswich and Norwich showed potential - could go far :)

Thanks everyone for a good day's music-making!

PS: One apology: by the time I got back in after ringing through the 1st section results to Anthony at 4barsrest, Welwyn had already started so "Sorry, HBB", I missed you :mad:

HBB
20.03.2006, 01:04
S'ok Peter - gutted with 10th, we really played our little hearts out on stage, and was really happy with our performance which I suppose is the main thing, but that's contesting for you! :)

Congratulations to Staines, very well played and Avely were extremely exciting! :)