PDA

View Full Version : Official tMP Welsh Regional Thread 2006

dyl
04.03.2006, 10:17
This is the official tMP discussion thread for the Welsh Regional Contest of the forthcoming Regional Championships of Great Britain.

Feel free to discuss your thoughts and predictions for each section within the area - but don't forget to enter the tMP Predictions Competition- for your chance to contribute to the overall tMP Predictions. Details of the tMP Predictions Competition can be found here: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19589

We also ask that when the results for the various sections are announced, they are posted in this thread, and not posted as brand new threads - it has the potential to become extremely messy should this be the case. We will be creating and maintaining a complete set of results for viewing on the tMP Portal as they happen.

We do have one request though! Please remember, that when pasting directly from other sources, always credit the source please.

Saturday 18th March
Brangwyn Hall, Swansea

3rd Section - Draw : 10.30am, starts 11.30am
Adjudicator : Nigel Seaman

Beaumaris B (P Hughes) - Blaenavon Town (A Hathaway) - Harlech (C Evans) - Holywell (G Thomas) - Ogmore Valley (I Barnett) - Porthaethwy Menai Bridge (C Williams) - Radyr & Morganstown Mellingriffith (G Ritter) - Royal Oakeley Town (J Jones) - Severn Tunnel (S Crawford)

2nd Section - Draw : 12:45pm, starts after 3rd section
Adjudicator : David Read

Briton Ferry (D C Jenkins) - Conwy Town (K Jones) - Lewis Merthyr (L Price) - Newbridge (Celynen) (P Holland) - Newtown Silver (S Edwards) - RAF St Athan Voluntary (A Bourne) - Royal Buckley (P Lovett-Cooper) - Tylorstown Arriva Trains (G Davies) - Ynyshir (Stacks of Tiles) (D Evans)

1st Section - Draw : 4pm, starts after 2nd section
Adjudicator : Malcolm Brownbill

Ammanford Town (C Hogg) - Deiniolen (W Williams) - Llanrug (J Maines) - Markham & District (N Seaman) - Northop (T Wyss) - Penclawdd (DA Smith) - Pontardulais (A Jones) - Rogerstone (G O'Connor) - Thomas Coaches Mid Rhondda (A Gibbs) - Wrexham Brass (Newi) (W Rushton)

Sunday 19th March

4th Section - Draw : 10am, starts 11am
Adjudicator : Malcolm Brownbill

Abergynolwyn (A Williams) - Crosskeys Silver (K Bowden) - Crwbin (A Jones) - Dyffryn Nantlle (S Massey) - Ebbw Vale Town (J Rooke) - Glynneath & District (J Thomas) - Goodwick Brass (G Ritter) - Gwaun Cae Gurwen (G Rhys Davies) - Gwernaffield (M Robinson) - Llwydcoed (A Davies) - Loughor (H Evans) - Newport Borough (M Davies) - Oakdale ( R Probyn) - Pontypool Brass (J Pippen) - Upper Rhondda (J Tanaka)

Championship Section - Draw : 1pm, starts after 4th section
Adjudicator : David Read

Abergavenny (N Weeks) - Beaumaris (G Williams) - BTM (TBC) - Burry Port Town (M Thorne) - Buy As You View (Dr R Childs) - Cwmaman Institute (J Hudson) - Parc & Dare (C Roberts) - Tongwynlais Temperance (G Pritchard) - Tredegar (M Fowles) - Treherbert (G Sheppard)

tinytimp
06.03.2006, 15:53
Could somebody please clarify the Champ section qualification system for the Welsh area please? Seeing as only BAYV are pre-qualified this year is it them + 2 or them + 3 to go to London?

tubaturk
06.03.2006, 15:55
Could somebody please clarify the Champ section qualification system for the Welsh area please? Seeing as only BAYV are pre-qualified this year is it them + 2 or them + 3 to go to London?

Wishful thinking Miss Drums - it is BAYV + 2

dyl
06.03.2006, 18:05
I'm really looking forward to the contest now - just under two weeks ago. Still some work to do on Voyage - which we've enjoyed working on - but it's all coming together very nicely.

Also looks like the First Section may be down to 8 bands now, from the 10 that entered. Shame, would have been nice to compete in a full section in our first contest in the First Section for three years. Ah well.

tam-tam2
06.03.2006, 19:20
First Section down to maybe 8?! Who is likely to drop out then? I am looking forward to Voyage, still work to be done but it is coming together....slowly. I think we have finally sorted our personnel and am waiting for Graham O' Connor to pull it apart next week!! Rehearsals Tuesday through to Saturday should be fun!!! However many entries actually turn up I'm sure it will be a good contest with some very evenly matched bands taking part. See you there, Dyl!!:)

welshraz
07.03.2006, 11:24
I am a bit apprehensive about this years contest. Last years result was a real turning point for us we had a great season, but we just can't seem to pull together this year. We had a great rehearsal on Sunday but all the others have been terrible, with poor turn outs etc. Sunday's rehearsal was actually kind of a make-or-break rehearsal, as if we had had another bad turn out we would have pulled out. But we still have 6 rehearsals to go so anything can happen. I heared that we are favourites to win the 4th section, which is nice, but far from being a reality at the moment.

Bayerd
07.03.2006, 12:12
Good luck to all at Abergynolwyn Band, Aled, time to emulate younger bro's achievements, so we can see you in Harrogate in September!

Val
08.03.2006, 17:54
We didn't have a Band to go this year (first time we haven't gone to the Regional for over 20 years) but good luck to all the North Wales bands, and especially Menai Bridge, Conwy and Wrexham who are being helped out by our players.

stotty74
09.03.2006, 00:57
Also looks like the First Section may be down to 8 bands now, from the 10 that entered. Shame, would have been nice to compete in a full section in our first contest in the First Section for three years. Ah well.

So who else might be pulling out? Had heard a few weeks ago Llanrug were in danger of not going, no surprise really considering what happened to their bandroom, but a few people have now said they are going. I know its only rumours and nothing will be confirmed until the weekend.

Sorry to hear about Rhyl. Hope things get back on track soon.

Really looking forward to it (except for the coach journeys, but that's another topic ;-) ). Think this is the first area contest i've been to where the band is actually confident of putting in a good performance. 1st Section is going to be very tight this year - very interesting. Good luck to everyone that is attending - hope all of the N.Wales bands do well, and 1 or 2 of the S.Wales ones aswell :wink:

Deano
09.03.2006, 11:17
Hornblower RN said on another thread that Ammanford have pulled out, also heard that Treherbert have withdrawn from Championship, don't know how true it is though. We're still going at the moment unless we lose any more players to illness and holidays.

rebecca
12.03.2006, 20:30
It was a shame to hear that Llanrug will not be attending the area this year. That was a fine band at one time! Anyway good luck to all the North Walien bands competing next weekend! see you there!( sorry my last post didn't make sense)Teachers 'ey!

Dave_the_Flugel
13.03.2006, 23:07
Really looking forward to the Regionals, first time we've (Cross Keys) been since 2003. The band is sounding pretty good at the moment but we know how tough it will be on the day. 4 more rehearsals to go and we'll be there !!

Hornblower RN
14.03.2006, 10:29
Hornblower RN said on another thread that Ammanford have pulled out, also heard that Treherbert have withdrawn from Championship, don't know how true it is though. We're still going at the moment unless we lose any more player to illness and holidays. Quite true....the band is down to half it's members at present.....it really is sad to see members jumping ship when when a little "shoring up" will prevent it sinking. To think we won the first prize in the 2nd division Nationals back in 2001 and look at us now!!

LeDragon
15.03.2006, 19:30
Good luck to Buckley in the 2nd Section and to all the other North Wales bands that are making the long trip down to Swansea.

I'm going to be down there myself this year for the first time since I last played there with Point of Ayr in 2001 thanks to not having a clash of dates with the Area Contest that I now play in - so I'll cheer as many North Walians on as possible as well as having the odd sociable pint in the bar! Welai chi lawr yna!

dyl
15.03.2006, 20:23
all the other North Wales bands that are making the long trip down to Swansea.

Diolch Gaz! Get to have a bit of a lie-in this year, now that we've moved up a section! Only have to set off at 7.30am this time round, as opposed to 5am last year!

Welai chi lawr yna!
:tup

Anno Draconis
15.03.2006, 21:34
Had heard a few weeks ago Llanrug were in danger of not going, no surprise really considering what happened to their bandroom, but a few people have now said they are going. I know its only rumours and nothing will be confirmed until the weekend.

They are on the 4BR preview (which is now up) and nothing about the break-in is mentioned. However (and I bear in mind that this is purely hearsay and gossip) I was talking to their Rep player's girlfriend on Monday and she doesn't think they're going. I think the disruption was just too much. A damn shame, as I'm sure they would have been in the frame.

Good luck to everyone else, especially Northop and Holywell.

dyl
15.03.2006, 21:38
They are on the 4BR preview (which is now up) and nothing about the break-in is mentioned. However (and I bear in mind that this is purely hearsay and gossip) I was talking to their Rep player's girlfriend on Monday and she doesn't think they're going. I think the disruption was just too much. A damn shame, as I'm sure they would have been in the frame.
There's a message on the guestbook of their website, by a band member (been there for nearly 2 weeks now), saying they won't be competing at Swansea this year because "too many things are against them"

Pastit
16.03.2006, 10:24
Does anyone have the list of percussion equipment on stage to hand? It appears we have mislaid our copy. Could some one post the list or fax a copy. I'll pm my fax number if necessary.

dyl
16.03.2006, 11:21
Does anyone have the list of percussion equipment on stage to hand? It appears we have mislaid our copy. Could some one post the list or fax a copy. I'll pm my fax number if necessary.

I can get my hands on it tonight, if that's not too late.

banger
16.03.2006, 13:06
This is the list i've been given from my band secretary

The following percussion is supplied at the area:

Four Premier Timpani 25" 28" 30" 32" plus stool
Tam Tam
Premier Concert Drum & Cradle
2 x Glockenspiel
2 x Trap Trays
Tubular Bells
Xylophone
Vibraphone

stotty74
16.03.2006, 14:38
It is a shame if Llanrug don't turn up. I heard them at Pontins, and they sounded very good then. They have been excellent the last few years. I hope things turn round for them soon.

Anyone starting to feel nervous yet? Our coach isn't leaving 'til 8am, but i'll be leaving my house by 7 to make sure i don't miss it!!

Also, anyone suggest any 'decent' places to go in Swansea after the contest? Might be hard i know, but we always end up in (i think) the 'Potters Wheel'. Got to be some other places???

Pastit
16.03.2006, 15:59
This is the list i've been given from my band secretary

The following percussion is supplied at the area:

Four Premier Timpani 25" 28" 30" 32" plus stool
Tam Tam
Premier Concert Drum & Cradle
2 x Glockenspiel
2 x Trap Trays
Tubular Bells
Xylophone
Vibraphone

Thanks for that

tinytimp
17.03.2006, 15:53
Also, anyone suggest any 'decent' places to go in Swansea after the contest? Might be hard i know, but we always end up in (i think) the 'Potters Wheel'. Got to be some other places???

No not really! You'll probably be best sticking to that formula, or Wind (Wine) Street has got a huge choice of places so you're bound to find something to your taste!

We'll be sticking to the Wig & Pen or Bay View on the Sunday, it's just too much hassle to go into the city centre!

Good luck to everybody (but not too much to those competing against us! :tongue: )

nickjones
17.03.2006, 16:25
There is the all you can eat for a fiver curry house accross from the wig and pen pub by the Brangwyn , or the posh one with the massive golden G sign..if you want to shake your money maker try time in the centre of the city...or if you fancy a steak try Steak By Night by the Dragon Hotel , or the Weatherspoons just round the corner will have a fair few in it on the sat night...

PeterBale
17.03.2006, 16:54
All the best to Cantonian on your contesting debut ;)

imthemaddude
18.03.2006, 15:51
3rd section results from 4barsest
1. Beaumaris B, P. Hughes, 5, 184
2. Radyr and Morganstown Mellingriffith, Gareth Ritter, 2, 183
3. Holywell, G. Thomas, 9, 182
4. Blaenavon Town, Alun Hathaway, 8, 180
5. Royal Oakeley, J. Jones, 3, 179
6. Harlech, C. Evans, 4, 178
7. Porthaethwy Menai Bridge, C. Williams, 1, 177
8. Ogmore Valley, Ivor Barnett, 6, 176
9. Severn Tunnel, S. Crawford, 7, 174

Charmed
18.03.2006, 16:43
Well done Beaumaris B :clap: I'm slowly moving up the predictions table! Predicted the winners and got Radyr & Marganstown in a place!

Well done to you both.

imthemaddude
18.03.2006, 18:47
Section 2:

Saturday 18th March
Adjudicator: David Read
Test Piece: Images of the Millennium - Howard Snell
Commences: After Section Three
Draw: 12.45pm

Results:

1. Newbridge Celynen, Paul Holland, 8, 188
2. Tylorstown (Arriva Trains), Garry Davies, 4, 184
3. RAF St. Athan Voluntary, Alan Bourne, 3, 181
4. Newtown Silver, Steve Edwards, 9, 180
5. Lewis Merthyr, Lyndon Price, 1, 179
6. Conway Town, Keith Jones, 2, 178
7. Briton Ferry, Dr. Christian Jenkins, 5, 177
8. Royal Buckley, Paul Lovatt Cooper, 6, 175
9. Ynyshir (Stack of Tiles), D. Evans, 7, 174

4barsrest

brassneck
18.03.2006, 21:17
Well done to Tom Wyss and Northop winning the 1st Section

Section 1:

Saturday 18th March
Adjudicator: Malcolm Brownbill
Test Piece: Voyage of Discovery - Goff Richards
Commences: Follows Second Section
Draw: 4.00pm

Results:

1. Northop Silver, Thomas Wyss, 3, 190
2. Penclawdd, Tony Small, 1, 188
3. Wrexham Brass (Newi), Wayne Ruston, 8, 186
4. Markham and District, Nigel Seaman, 2, 185
5. Pontardulais Town, Paul Jenkins, 7, 184
6. Thomas Coaches Mid Rhondda, Alan Gibbs, 6, 183
7. Rogerstone, Graham O'Connor, 4, 181
8. Deiniolen, W. Williams, 5, 179
Llanrug, John Maines (withdrawn)

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=2859

DaveR
18.03.2006, 21:21
Well done to Wrexham Brass (my old band from years ago!) :clap:

tinytimp
18.03.2006, 21:38
Any comments on what David Read has been picking up on today? Could do with a few last minute pointers before tomorrow!

And well done to Penclawdd on a great result :clap:

Di
19.03.2006, 17:51
Section 4:

Sunday 19th March

1. Llwydcoed, Alan Davies, 13, 180
2. Crosskeys Silver, Keri Bowden, 1, 179
3. Glyneath, Jane Thomas, 11, 178
4. Goodwick Brass, Gareth Ritter, 15, 177
5. Gwaun Cae Gurwen, G. Rhys Davies, 8, 176
6. Pontypool Brass, Jonathan Pippen, 12, 175
7. Upper Rhondda, Jin Tanaka, 3, 174
8. Newport Borough, M. Davies, 14, 173
9. Ebbw Vale, Julie Rooke, 2, 171
10. Abergynolwyn, A. Williams, 5, 169
11. Gwemaffield, M. Robinson, 9, 167
12. Oakdale Silver, Ron Probyn, 6, 165
13. Dyffryn Nantlle, Sue Massey, 4, 163
14. Crwbin, A. Jones, 10, 162
15. Loughor, H. Evans, 7, 161

Youngest player: Casey Young, 9, Ebbw Vale

From www.4barsrest.com (http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=2868)

stotty74
19.03.2006, 20:09
Well done to Tom Wyss and Northop winning the 1st Section

:woo:woo:woo
Fantastic result for the band - only just got back and absoulutely shattered after the celebrations!!
Got to mention our 14y.o. timp player, who, due to some registration problems with another percussionist, was only drafted in to play on the Friday night. She was brilliant, especially as she has only played percussion a few times before (she normally playes cornet in the youth band).
The band have had a really tough last 5 years or so, so this has been a long time coming!!
Congrats to everyone that took part - i heard quite a few bands, and i really didn't know how we had done.
Well done also to Holywell and Beaumaris B in the 3rd Section, and Newbridge in the 2nd Section.

brassneck
19.03.2006, 21:41
Championship Section:

Sunday 19th March
Test Piece: Journey to the Centre of the Earth
Commences: After 4th Section
Draw: 1.00pm

Results:

1. Buy As You View, Dr. Robert Childs, 4, 194
2. Burry Port Town, Michael Thorne, 1, 191
3. Parc and Dare, Craig Roberts, 8, 190
4. Tredegar, Michael Fowles, 5, 189
5. Beaumaris, Glyn Williams, 7, 188
6. BTM, Jason Katsikaris, 3, 186
7. Tongwynlais Temperance, Gareth Pritchard, 9, 185
8. Cwmaman Institute Tower Colliery, John Hudson, 6, 184
9. Abergavenny Borough, Nigel Weeks, 2, 182

Section 4:

Sunday 19th March
Test Piece: Anglian Dances – Alan Fernie
Commences: 11.00am
Draw: 10.00am

Results:

1. Llwydcoed, Alan Davies, 13, 180
2. Crosskeys Silver, Keri Bowden, 1, 179
3. Glyneath, Jane Thomas, 11, 178
4. Goodwick Brass, Gareth Ritter, 15, 177
5. Gwaun Cae Gurwen, G. Rhys Davies, 8, 176
6. Pontypool Brass, Jonathan Pippen, 12, 175
7. Upper Rhondda, Jin Tanaka, 3, 174
8. Newport Borough, M. Davies, 14, 173
9. Ebbw Vale, Julie Rooke, 2, 171
10. Abergynolwyn, A. Williams, 5, 169
11. Gwemaffield, M. Robinson, 9, 167
12. Oakdale Silver, Ron Probyn, 6, 165
13. Dyffryn Nantlle, Sue Massey, 4, 163
14. Crwbin, A. Jones, 10, 162
15. Loughor, H. Evans, 7, 161

Youngest player: Casey Young, 9, Ebbw Vale

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=2868

JessopSmythe
19.03.2006, 21:42
Championship Section:

Sunday 19th March
Test Piece: Journey to the Centre of the Earth
Commences: After 4th Section
Draw: 1.00pm

Results:

1. Buy As You View, Dr. Robert Childs, 4, 194
2. Burry Port Town, Michael Thorne, 1, 191
3. Parc and Dare, Craig Roberts, 8, 190
4. Tredegar, Michael Fowles, 5, 189
5. Beaumaris, Glyn Williams, 7, 188
6. BTM, Jason Katsikaris, 3, 186
7. Tongwynlais Temperance, Gareth Pritchard, 9, 185
8. Cwmaman Institute Tower Colliery, John Hudson, 6, 184
9. Abergavenny Borough, Nigel Weeks, 2, 182

From 4BR (http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=2868)

Steve
19.03.2006, 22:05
Parc and Dare are apparently back in style then!!! Well done to the qualifiers :clap:

rutribal
20.03.2006, 00:07
Congrats to Burry Port! Another return to the RAH, just keep Rob away from Greek restaurants!

johnflugel
20.03.2006, 10:28
Does this mean that:

If BAYV win the European in April, will Burry Port go to the Europeans next year - or will that spare place go to the band that finishes 2nd at the European?

Jan H
20.03.2006, 10:43
Does this mean that:

If BAYV win the European in April, will Burry Port go to the Europeans next year - or will that spare place go to the band that finishes 2nd at the European?
When is the last time something like this happend? I think it was when Black Dyke were European champions and won the nationals, and YBS were invited to the Europeans because of their 2nd place at the RAH...

nutty sop
20.03.2006, 10:43
Well done to all qualifiers! A good weekend had by most I should think? Must admit I was personally glad to have a break from qualification as I then had the courage to tell our conductor that I would be in America for the finals ha ha ha ha oops!!!!!
Looking forward to playing in the championship section next year if a little aprehensive (i'm getting too old for end chair stuff!)

Soprano - Wrexham Brass

johnflugel
20.03.2006, 10:49
When is the last time something like this happend? I think it was when Black Dyke were European champions and won the nationals, and YBS were invited to the Europeans because of their 2nd place at the RAH...

But this time, the English representative will come from the New English Championships rather than the 'Nationals' (as we know it) in October.

tubaturk
20.03.2006, 10:53
Does this mean that:

Amongst the beer, singing and general shambles that was last night, I don't think any of us even thought about that.....very interesting!

Burry Port trying to organise themselves to go to Swansea is usually enough of a challenge mind you. Trying to get a logistically-challenged band like ourselves to Europe would have all the makings of an excellent docu-soap methinks.

It would also be remiss of me not to say WHOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

Congratulations my lot, Parc and of course BAYV!!

Cantonian
20.03.2006, 10:55
All the best to Cantonian on your contesting debut ;)

Thanks Peter.

Well what a day. We (Parc and Dare) met at 11ish at Swansea University's Taliesin Centre Annex for a final rehearsal-blow through and, an unknown to him, celebration of Carl Saunders 40th birthday!.

The news from Brangwyn Hall soon filtered through that there were no lights on stage so floodlights were being installed and a consequent delay to the 4th section. Further news was that the championship draw was now to be 1.15.

We decided to have a leisurely lunch and arrive at Brangwyn Hall about 2.30.
This we did to find the 4th section still going (congratulations to Llwydcoed including fellow Salvationists from Merthyr).

Around 4.30 the band drawn number 1, Burry Port were on. We were to meet at the rear of the Brangwyn at 5.30 for our number 8 draw so we managed to hear Burry Port, Abergavenny and BTM from the hall and then BAYV from the foyer before going to get ready. Nerves were jangling but eventually we were on stage with all mutes safely placed in appropriate places!

After several weeks of very hard work from all of the band and in particular, Craig Roberts our MD, we commenced. I came off stage relieved that I had got through OK and thought that we had played a very musical performance, albeit with a few slips that had never occurred in rehearsal although I felt that the Cornet, Flugel, Euph and Trobone solos were very good.

A former Parc bandsman who had heard all performances said that he thought we could be second or third which we were surprised at considering the opposition.

When David Read gave his preamble to the results he said that he was looking for musicality particularly in the slower middle movements and I started to get more hope.

When the announcer said " in third place with 190 points the band who played number 8" it was hugs and handshakes all round as well as the mandatory cheering.

My first (major) contest and we have qualified for the Nationals in October.

What a great day!!!!

topeuph
20.03.2006, 11:19
After all the celebrations last night, a somber thought entered my acheing head this morning. Does this mean we (Burry Port) won't be going to Pontins this year? ******, I was looking forward to Spending 2 Two shivering nights in Prestatyn. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to settle for the Albert Hall. YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Cantonian
20.03.2006, 11:23
A special mention must go to the soprano player of the Royal Welsh College Brass Band.
They played Year of the Dragon whilst we were waiting for the results and on a very hot stage the Flugel horn soloist fainted and he caught her just before she fell of the stage (a drop of about 8 feet).

Jan H
20.03.2006, 11:28
But this time, the English repheresentative will come from the New English Championships rather than the 'Nationals' (as we know it) in October.
So? I don't think that makes a difference for the Welsh bands...
The 2nd band of the Welsh Regionals would be invited, because that's the Welsh qualifier for the Europeans.

Dave_the_Flugel
20.03.2006, 12:01
Really 'chuffed' with our (Cross Keys') result. Rehearsal in the morning wasn't the best but we thought that might not be a bad thing as we honestly hadn't had a poor rehearsal for a few weeks, so it was better to get a poor performance out of the way rather than go wrong on stage.
The lighting situation could have unsettled us as we were first on, but we didn't let it get to us! Don't mention the national anthem, we were informed originally it was to be God Save the Queen before the contest a few weeks ago, then we get asked before going on stage, what anthem have you got? So our MD told the representative God save the Queen, to which we were told don't bother as we wanted The Welsh National Anthem to be played, but the association did admit it was their fault just before the results were announced.
Also our Bass Trombone player had dissapeared between where we rehe***** (a hall near the Vetch Field) and the Brangwyn - a distance of 1/2 a mile (if that), but fortunately he turned up just before we registered.

All in all we had a great day , well done to all bands for competing, espeicially our fellow qualifiers from all sections.
Keep an eye on 4barsrest for the photos that were taken at the results because that bloke who was our representative on stage, getting the certificate is a right looker. ;), (he actually looks a bit like me) !!

Cochyn
20.03.2006, 14:34
It is a shame if Llanrug don't turn up. I heard them at Pontins, and they sounded very good then. They have been excellent the last few years. I hope things turn round for them soon.

Thanks for that, as the performance at Pontins was a memorable one for all. Sadly, due to the brake in at the bandroom, band morale was pretty low, and we really wanted to improve from the last outing @ Pontins...not to mention giving Northop a run for their money again! :D

But what can I say, s**t happens, so onward and upward again ;)

Well done to all the band's, especially Geraint (Principal Cornet) and Thomas Wyss at Northop, Dave (Principal Cornet) and Burry Port Town, and Paul Hughes and Beaumaris B, who all gave great performances!

Pastit
20.03.2006, 14:37
Well done to Wrexham Brass (my old band from years ago!) :clap:

Are you the lad who came through the junior band on tenor horn? Think you were from Tarporley way

(Mods: Sorry to take the thread slightly off topic!!)

richieramsaran
20.03.2006, 15:29
:woo:woo:woo
Fantastic result for the band - only just got back and absoulutely shattered after the celebrations!!
Got to mention our 14y.o. timp player, who, due to some registration problems with another percussionist, was only drafted in to play on the Friday night. She was brilliant, especially as she has only played percussion a few times before (she normally playes cornet in the youth band).
The band have had a really tough last 5 years or so, so this has been a long time coming!!
Congrats to everyone that took part - i heard quite a few bands, and i really didn't know how we had done.
Well done also to Holywell and Beaumaris B in the 3rd Section, and Newbridge in the 2nd Section.

Just wanted to say well done to friends down at Northop!!!

Well done on your well deserved visctory.
Gutted I wasnt there to share it with you!!

All the best at the next round!!

Im keeping a close eye on you guys from over here in Italy!!!

tinytimp
20.03.2006, 15:47
As you've probably gathered, Burry Port are absolutely thrilled at qualifying for the Finals - with any luck we'll do a bit better than last time (18th :oops: ). It was such a great day for the band, even playing from a no. 1 draw which could have been the kiss of death! WOOHOOOO!!! :clap:

And a huge Congrats too to our sop player Jayne Thomas and Glynneath band with a well-deserved third place in 4th section.:tup

:woo

JayneSop
20.03.2006, 17:26
As you've probably gathered, Burry Port are absolutely thrilled at qualifying for the Finals - with any luck we'll do a bit better than last time (18th :oops: ). It was such a great day for the band, even playing from a no. 1 draw which could have been the kiss of death! WOOHOOOO!!! :clap:

And a huge Congrats too to our sop player Jayne Thomas and Glynneath band with a well-deserved third place in 4th section.:tup

:woo

Cheers Sarah

I hope you had a great night celebrating.... i can't tell you how gutted i was that I wasn't able to stay after the performance and enjoy the celebrations!!!!

What's this I hear about Gareth trying to ruin a pub quiz by singing!!! I just don't understand anyone who sings loudly in pubs when their not supposed to!!

And is it true that the band chairman spent hundreds of pounds on champagne!! and I missed it!!! Totally gutted!!!!

Oh well, London here we come!!!!

prince_turhan
20.03.2006, 20:15
"And is it true that the band chairman spent hundreds of pounds on champagne!! and I missed it!!! Totally gutted!!!!"

Well blinkin' heck, Champagne is my favourite drink!! I missed it too!!! Burry Port band needs to have a celebration party. Everyone was just fantastic - including David Read, my favourite adjudicator. :clap:

Thank you.

tubaturk
20.03.2006, 21:54
Quiet round here innit? :(

stotty74
20.03.2006, 23:40
Quiet round here innit? :(

Totally agree. Is it just me, or are there fewer tmp'ers on the forum from Wales than any other area aswell? I know we have one of the smallest entries in terms of bands in our regionals (55 this year maybe?) but there's not been much discussion so far.

What do people think of the reults? Correct or not? Does anyone think they were robbed, or were lucky to gain the result they did? I only managed to hear half of the 1st section, so i can't comment too much.

What do people think of the acoustics in the Brangwyn, and how has it affected results. Of the bands i heard, in the bar before the results we were talking about how they sounded, and it became obvious that depending where you sat really affected the sound of the band. I know all bands in all areas face this sort of problem, but it would be interesting to hear what people think of the place. Also, as all performances were (i believe) recorded, would the adjudicators come up with the same results again if they listened to the recordings?

DaveR
20.03.2006, 23:51
Also, as all performances were (i believe) recorded, would the adjudicators come up with the same results again if they listened to the recordings?

Now that would be a very interesting experiment. Wonder if there is any mileage in it - even as a one-off experiment. I suspect not. I could be wrong but I think if I was an adjudicator I would probably baulk at potentially leaving myself open to the embarrassment of coming up with a completely different set of results for the same set of performances.

I also wonder whether it would work if the contest was recorded, but with no adjudicator in the box. Then the adjudicator could listen to the recordings away from the arena (playing bits over and over if necessary) in order to make sure the comments were truly reflective of the performance. I guess the only fly in the ointment would be that bands probably wouldn't get to find out how they did on the same day which may lead to a bit of an anticlimax.....

Incidentally, would all the players from the "we woz robbed" brigade also think the same thing if they heard all the performances again? ;)

DavidSmith37
21.03.2006, 02:07
First up Congrats to Mike Thorne and everyone at Burry Port on a great result. They better stock up on beer in London for your visit in October!
Regarding the Europeans there's a lot of water to go under the bridge before April 2007 and the little matter of Buy As You View winning in Belfast in about 6 weeks time. It's the only one they haventwon in the current era and their performances over the last 5 years or so certainly have merited the top spot ... so watch this space.
The Euros in 2007 are being held in Brimingham Symphony Hall (that's the Midlands not Alabama) so there wont be any need to rush out for a passport or 's.
Secondly, a little birdie tells me that there was some doubt of Buy As You View attending this years Europeans due to the Welsh regional committee dropping their affiliation with EBBA. That's all been cleared up now and they are going but the selection process for deciding who gets "invited" has changed so you may want to check up on this.

Anyway, great result yesterday and congratulations to all at Buy As You View, Burry Port, and Parc & Dare.

Pastit
21.03.2006, 10:56
Congratulations to Northop and Penclawdd on qualifying from the 1st section. We at Wrexham were very pleased with our performance and hoped it would be enough to get a qualifying place, but it wasn't to be. Didn't hear anyone on the day but Northop's performance drew a numer of good comments I believe, so well done to you all.
Special thanks must go to Mark our solo trombone player who stepped into our regular player's (very large) shoes at about 10 days notice. He played a blinder!
Drawing last made it a pretty long day back and to from practice room to Brangwyn then hotel to book in and back to Brangwyn. Thought the hall might have been fuller for the last couple of performance before the results.

JayneSop
21.03.2006, 11:49
"And is it true that the band chairman spent hundreds of pounds on champagne!! and I missed it!!! Totally gutted!!!!"

Well blinkin' heck, Champagne is my favourite drink!! I missed it too!!! Burry Port band needs to have a celebration party. Everyone was just fantastic - including David Read, my favourite adjudicator. :clap:

Thank you.

Perhaps the band chairman might bring us a bottle in the next rehersal???!!!???

Jayne

Ps why did you choose this nick name?

stotty74
21.03.2006, 14:00
Congratulations to Northop and Penclawdd on qualifying from the 1st section. We at Wrexham were very pleased with our performance and hoped it would be enough to get a qualifying place, but it wasn't to be. Didn't hear anyone on the day but Northop's performance drew a numer of good comments I believe, so well done to you all.

I couldn't hear all the bands in the section due to warming up etc, but of the ones i did hear, i had Wrexham and Mid-Rhondda in the frame with us (almost right!!) You played really well, and were unlucky not to qualify. Sure you will do yourselves justice next year in the top section, maybe even do a parc!!

Little question about Northop aswell. Obviously we're not promoted this year because of points and things, but IF we were to win at harrogate, would we be automatically promoted? Is this the same for anyone who wins the finals? And would this then also mean the top section in Wales next year would have 11, or would 2 be relegated? Don't know how this works, so can someone enlighten me?
Thanks

Anno Draconis
21.03.2006, 14:27
Obviously we're not promoted this year because of points and things, but IF we were to win at harrogate, would we be automatically promoted?
Yes

Is this the same for anyone who wins the finals?
Yes

And would this then also mean the top section in Wales next year would have 11, or would 2 be relegated?
Yes, I think. Because the Harrogate result is not known until September if you or Penclawdd win there the Welsh Area would just add you to the top section for 2007 (making 11) and relegate an extra band next time.

[*ducks, and waits to be corrected;) ]

(EDIT - well done to everyone at Northop by the way. I sent Louise a text on Saturday night, as a former player (long ago!) I was well chuffed to hear of the result)

BandTaxi
21.03.2006, 14:52
NOT doubting that you're right (Honestly!) but just curious why you would relegate an extra band next time around if you ended up with 11 in the Championship Section. The Midlands programme stated on the Championship page "To meet with a directive stating that the Championship Section in each Region should have a maximum of Twelve Bands....."
So why are Wales only allowed 10?

Anno Draconis
21.03.2006, 15:39
Good point. Dunno.

Maybe because Wales is quite a small region in terms of number of bands, so if they insisted on 12 bands in the top section they would be robbing peter to pay paul?

brasscrest
21.03.2006, 15:46
NOT doubting that you're right (Honestly!) but just curious why you would relegate an extra band next time around if you ended up with 11 in the Championship Section. The Midlands programme stated on the Championship page "To meet with a directive stating that the Championship Section in each Region should have a maximum of Twelve Bands....."
So why are Wales only allowed 10?

Because maximum means "not more than". Doesn't say anything about having to have exactly 12 bands, just not more than 12. 10 is not more than twelve, therefore, it's within the directive.

I'm thinking that it's actually up to the Welsh regional committee to decide how many bands are "allowed" in the top section.

tam-tam2
21.03.2006, 23:24
I heard 7 of the 9 bands in the Championship Section (didn't hear Parc and Dare and Beaumaris....the bar was just calling too loudly at that point!) and really enjoyed listening to the testpiece. I had the bands in this order BAYV, BTM, Tredegar/Burry Port (couldn't separate those), Tongwynlais, Cwmaman and Abergavenny. I was suprised BTM didn't come higher and was really impressed by Burry Port, every player seemed to put in 110% (especially the cornets, but great euph work and trom too if I remember rightly). Well done to all that played.

My band, Rogerstone, came 7th in the First Section and we a little disappointed with that....anyone hear us? Well done to Nortop, who played before us, it did sound good from where I was. I'm not going to comment on the rest of the results because I didn't hear any other bands.

I heard Celynen in the Second Section too, having heard the bands that came second and third too they rightly deserved to win it by a country mile. Also enjoyed a few bands in the Fourth Section, great to see so many young players. I was impressed with Glyneath who had a lovely band sound and played really well, I thought you had done enough to qualify.

Well, that's over for another year, congratulations and good luck to all qualifiers and here's to a better year next year for everyone else.

Ps Hope the flug player (and the instrument!!) in the Welsh Col band is okay....cracking catch by the sop player!!

Big Gav
22.03.2006, 13:37
Got to say I really enjoyed the 3rd section contest. I was impressed that all the bands had got through it , and no one had any major disasters. Beaumaris B were on excellent form with many impressive moments. Also impressed with Radyr's performance, which was conducted by a very talented Gareth Ritter. ( obviously picked up some hints from Dr Childs from his days with BAYV!). Radyr showed a lot of space in the music and Gareth gave the music nice shape. Well done all! As for the others I thought Royal Oakely had some nice moments and thought they could have been higher in the placings. The contest showed that Entertainments is still a great test piece, both for the bands and the audience.

baribari
22.03.2006, 18:07
Congratulations to BAYV, Burry Port and Parc and Dare Bands. Hope you have a good trip to London and probably see most of you in the Goat afterwards. Personally, very disappointed with Cwmamans very nervous performance - so can't argue with the result from Mr Read.

Heard Burry Port and thought the opening quiet section was VERY good. Didn't hear anyone else unfortunately. I think that, perhaps one band aside, the Welsh Championship section is very, very tight these days.

Oh well...Grand Shield next, is it?

horn__blower
22.03.2006, 22:24
wow it really is quiet in wales compared to the other regions!
well done to all who qualified! commiserations to those who "woz robbed" and didnt!
:)

twm_trombone
22.03.2006, 22:40
Congratulations to all the Welsh qualifiers, especially to all those from the promise land (North Wales). Due to prior commitments and having to catch up with an old acqueintance (the bar at the brangwyn) i was unable to listen to many of the bands, of those i did hear (Parc in the championship section and Beaumaris, Menai Bridge, Radyr, Harlech and Royal Oakley in the 3rd) i was suitably impressed, and, if the 3rd section is anything to go by, banding in wales is very very healthy at present.

Once again congratulations to all the qualifiers and may they prosper in Harrogate, of those who were unlucky or were just darn robbed then better luck next time!!

Big Gav
23.03.2006, 13:32
Off the topic a little bit - Weren't those plastic Carling bottles a bit weird at the bar?!

DavidSmith37
24.03.2006, 00:48
3 bottles for a fiver ...... and a bottle just about filled a pint glass .... so 1.66'ish a pint seems like a good deal to me. Shame the Bay View has decided to become more of a restaurant than a pub, I was looking forward to giving them some of my hard earned cash.

tubaturk
24.03.2006, 12:47
Just been reading 4BR's retrospective and, in respect of BAYV's performance they state that "perhaps subconsciously the competitive edge had been dulled by the fact that the band had little to play for except pride (there was no European qualification place up for grabs either for the winners)".

I wasn't aware that this was the case. What's the story here? I'm was aware of some of the issues involving the EBBA and Besson, but still assumed that the Champion Band of Wales would be invited to the Euro Championships in Birmingham in 2007.

Anyone got any info relating to this?

DavidSmith37
24.03.2006, 15:10
I wasn't aware that this was the case. What's the story here? I'm was aware of some of the issues involving the EBBA and Besson, but still assumed that the Champion Band of Wales would be invited to the Euro Championships in Birmingham in 2007.

Anyone got any info relating to this?

Sounds totally political to me. But as I understand it (from a source), Besson approached Capital Promotions to run an alternative European Championships which you can imagine didn't go down well with EBBA. Band representatives from all the Welsh bands were then asked to vote at a Welsh Regional committee meeting on which to support and it went in favour of the Besson camp (which isn't surprising given that the person who runs Capital is an officer on the Welsh Regional committee). Which now means the Welsh region have dropped their affiliation with EBBA and therefore Wales don't get an invite via the area contest and the representative is invited using some other criteria. Sounds like the Royal we (as it was the welsh bands (or at leats the majority of the) who voted to go with Besson) have shot ourselves in the foot again!

This is only what I have heard and needs to be qualified, perhaps Mr. Fox can fill in the gaps now as he wrote the retrospect on 4BR?

If true 2 questions come to mind. What is the point of any Welsh Band that comes in the top 3 in London this year (e.g. 2006) going to the Area contest in Swansea next year (e.g. 2007) as they have already qualified for the 2007 finals (due to their top 3 place at the RAH the previous year) and there's no Europoean spot to be won? Seems no point, right?
And secondly who gets "invited" to the Euros in Birmingham 2007 if BAYV win in Belfast this year? BAYV will qualify as defending Euro Champs and under the old criteria it would have been Burry Port (as they were second last week) ..... but who knows now? If I was Burry Port I'd start to ask some questions just in case.

Sounds a bit like the Champions League to me .... who shall we invite, Liverpool or Everton?

These are the opinions and understandings of this poster only.

Jan H
24.03.2006, 15:39
Just been reading 4BR's retrospective and, in respect of BAYV's performance they state that "perhaps subconsciously the competitive edge had been dulled by the fact that the band had little to play for except pride (there was no European qualification place up for grabs either for the winners)".

Anyone got any info relating to this? from: http://www.niba.fsnet.co.uk/press_release.htm (january 2006)

WALES BACK IN EBBA
EBBA wishes to welcome the new organisation representing
the interests of Welsh banding in relation to the European
band movement, EBBA and EBBC. Wales is now again
a member of EBBA and has already nominated the
BAYV Band to EBBC 2006.
- We are delighted that Wales has been able to return
back to EBBA and we look forward to working closely
with the new organisation as soon as possible, says
EBBA-president Markus S. Bach.

Who or what this new organisation exactly is, is unclear from this press release...

PeterBale
24.03.2006, 15:44
Here's a link to the 4barsrest report about the situation. It appears as if the new Welsh Brass Band organisation will be responsible for selecting the band to represent Wales, so presumably it need not necessarily be the winner of the Welsh Regional:

http://4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?criteria=wales&offset=25&year=2005&Submit=find&id=2377

nutty sop
24.03.2006, 16:04
Well we waited long enough to read them (but sigh in disappointment) not alot to read really!
I did have a giggle about the soprano brown trouser moment in the 1st section! All those who had to play it will know what they mean! 4 bars state they heard 4 cracking top c's 3 near misses and one brilliant cheat?? now who could that be? Me for changing mouthpiece?(how else do they expect this old timer to get up there), or the band before us who, if I heard right through the doors, had the glock play it! Wish I had thought of that grrrrrrrrr!

A big well done to all the welsh qualifiers! :clap:go show them what wales has got to offer eh?

Nutty Sop
Soprano, Wrexham Brass

DavidSmith37
25.03.2006, 02:44
Here's a link to the 4barsrest report about the situation. It appears as if the new Welsh Brass Band organisation will be responsible for selecting the band to represent Wales, so presumably it need not necessarily be the winner of the Welsh Regional:

Which all backs up what was posted earlier ...... so exactly how does a Welsh band qualify for the European Championships these days?

It would have been nothing short of criminal for wales not to have had a representative at the Euros especially since we have had a band that has been No 1 or 2 in the rankings for the last x years. Congratulations and thanks has to go to the new "organisation" thta ensures we still have a representation at the European Championships.

So how about Wales putting forward a proposal and application to host the European championships in 2009/10/or 11?

Anyone heard the set test for Belfast yet? I'm hoping for something to test the best in Europe and something with a tune.

C' mon Wales

Jan H
25.03.2006, 08:14
So how about Wales putting forward a proposal and application to host the European championships in 2009/10/or 11? 2009 will be in Belgium (Ostend), so it will be 2010 at the earliest, but there are already other candidates:

European Brass Band Championships
EBBC 2006 Belfast, Northern Ireland, 27.4. - 30.4.2006
EBBC 2007 Birmingham, England, 28th April-4 May 2007
EBBC 2008, Stavanger, Norway, 30th April - 4th May 2008
EBBC 2009 Ostende, Belgium, 25th April - 3rd May 2009
For the years 2010, 2011, 2012 the European Brass Band Association is looking for organisers for the European Brass Band Championships and its side events. Interest so far has been shown from Austria, Scotland, Sweden, and Holland.
Interested candidates can write to:
Nelly Unternaehrer, EBBA Secretary, Pfistergasse 21, 6003 Luzern / Switzerland
E-mail: ebba@swissonline.ch
http://www.ebba.eu.com/eventcal_ebba.html

bassinthebathroom
25.03.2006, 12:20
Anyone heard the set test for Belfast yet? I'm hoping for something to test the best in Europe and something with a tune.

Well, you for one will be very dissapointed. The piece is a contemporary work by Ian Wilson, and is for the most part based loosely on isorhythms and sequential phrases. It is also all at 84BPM and under, with the exception of about 12 bars at 120BPM, and I wouldn't really suggest that melody is one of the composer's primary tools! That said, first run through and all...

Anyway, back to the topic in hand I guess...

DavidSmith37
25.03.2006, 13:23
Just got the following response back from 4BR after an e-mail I sent them, it reads as follows ...... "The decision to which band will be nominated as Welsh representataive for the 2007 contest will be made by the new Welsh European organisation after this year's European at Belfast, as the old committee which decided the matter no longer exists and has since been replaced by the new one which has yet to decide which criteria it uses to choose which band it sends to the following year's contest ......... Complex isn't it!"

So there you have it from the horses mouth so to speak. It's a case of watch this space after the Euros. But being first and foremost Welsh lets hope BAYV can bring the trophy back this time. They've been very close, in fact extremely close, on more than one occassion over the last 5 years ..... and then if they do succeed IMHO it should be the second placed band from Swansea that goes to Birmingham with them (Burry Port) as this is the only contest where all our champioship section bands have the opportunity to compete against each other.

Jan H
25.03.2006, 13:41
I suggest that we continue the discussion about the Welsh European Qualification in the new thread started by topeuph in The Rehearsal Room: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20324

This thread can still be used of course to discuss the Area results...

Thanks ;-)