PDA

View Full Version : Area dates

Dave Payn
22.02.2006, 22:57
Look, folks; I know I've been 'marooned' on a Scottish island for the past 16 months but there is something (not for the first time) I don't understand and maybe those with more nous in the contesting field can help answer this question. Why are the areas spread out over three separate weekends? Why are they not all held over the same weekend? Is it a lack of adjudicators, some of whom have been chosen to participate in more than one area? I know the Yorkshire area is first up and that's supposedly the strongest area etc. but why isn't it a level playing field if the best bands from each area are to be selected for the nationals? Whatever the assumed standards from one area to the next, the pieces selected for each section were announced at the same time, so why (a) does the Yorkshire area have two weeks less to prepare their pieces or indeed (b) why do some areas have two weeks MORE to do the same?

Or am I missing something obvious?

Constructive replies welcome.

Regards

WoodenFlugel
22.02.2006, 23:09
Dave, I think its simply a fact of not enough adjudicators to go around. With more and more areas adopting two adjudicators then the choice would be spread even thinner. To a lesser extent it would also prevent those people who like to travel to see other sections from doing so, as they would be playing.

Not so sure that it prevents a level playing field though - well, by that I mean there are other larger factors affecting the consistency of the results across the country (different standards within the sections, adjudicators preferences etc). But it does mean that those who have early regionals have a slight advantage in getting hotels booked for the Harrogate Nationals in particular, but even this in my experience isn't such a problem. To my mind the bands with later regionals start their intensive rehearsals later, as I believe you can only improve a piece for so many weeks before things start to become counter-productive.

Here in the Midlands the regional contest is spread over two weeks simply due to the venue, and not having room / time to get all the bands through in two days. I believe that we will be going back to one weekend next year though as the Midlands Regional Committee are using the Belvedere Club again.

PeterBale
23.02.2006, 00:04
Maybe not a reason as such, but an observation: with the Regionals spread out as they are, they are also each able to get reasonable coverage in the banding press - both in printed publications and online. If they were all the same weekend, the space available for each one would be very limited, both for previews and for reports.

Di
23.02.2006, 00:18
Here in the Midlands the regional contest is spread over two weeks simply due to the venue, and not having room / time to get all the bands through in two days. I believe that we will be going back to one weekend next year though as the Midlands Regional Committee are using the Belvedere Club again.

:confused: Earth calling Ian. :rolleyes: May I point my confused lil' pal towards the area date/venue reference (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showpost.php?p=332003&postcount=1)? ;)

DublinBass
23.02.2006, 00:55
Could it possibly be to feature the same professional MDs at more than one area and make more money for them (since I'd imagine many are on the board that makes this decision)

PeterBale
23.02.2006, 07:41
Could it possibly be to feature the same professional MDs at more than one area and make more money for them (since I'd imagine many are on the board that makes this decision)

As far as I am aware, there is no explicit co-ordination of the dates, although I presume some guidelines are laid down. It was certainly good for us in the L&SC region last year, as we had a good number of top names conducting in both the 1st and Championship Sections.

Anno Draconis
23.02.2006, 08:22
Also a lot of players in higher section bands are conducting lower section bands in different areas; if al the dates coincided some bands would be looking for a new conductor!

WoodenFlugel
23.02.2006, 08:30
:confused: Earth calling Ian. :rolleyes: May I point my confused lil' pal towards the area date/venue reference (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showpost.php?p=332003&postcount=1)? ;)

Yes I know they're using the Belvedere Club this year too, but because the dates were already set its still over two weekends. I believe next year they intend to run the contest on one weekend again.

Sheesh! :roll:

;)

PeterBale
23.02.2006, 08:38
Yes I know they're using the Belvedere Club this year too, but because the dates were already set its still over two weekends. I believe next year they intend to run the contest on one weekend again.

Sheesh! :roll:

;)

According to my reading of the list, 1st & 3rd sections are on Saturday 11th March, and 2nd, Championship & 4th on Sunday 12th March: correct me if I'm wrong, but one Saturday and the Sunday the day after it constitutes one weekend in my book ;)

WoodenFlugel
23.02.2006, 09:24
According to my reading of the list, 1st & 3rd sections are on Saturday 11th March, and 2nd, Championship & 4th on Sunday 12th March: correct me if I'm wrong, but one Saturday and the Sunday the day after it constitutes one weekend in my book ;)

Yeah, whatever. It's early.....:rolleyes: :oops:

Accidental
23.02.2006, 09:55
I think its just down to venue availability, and maybe a bit of history - for several years our area was the first weekend of March and it fitted into a regular pattern with other local contests.

BbBill
23.02.2006, 23:02
With the pieces getting annouced at the start of august last year, im sure bands would have had more than enough time to work on them, even if some are getting an extra 2 weeks to polish them off, (these ones will maybe be sick of practising them anyway!!!)

As has prob been said already, a mixture of venue issues and not enough adjudicators to go around most likely,.....oh and to leave everybody on tender-hooks to see who has won the tMP prediction competition of course!!! ;)

I think Peter's comment about the press coverage is quite a good bonus with them happening on different weekends, (although last year's Scottish writeup wasnt up to much, they lost the original report somehow enroute to New Zealand or that was the story....)

I suppose technically, if you thought well enough in advance and you got your transfers sorted out in time, you could sign for another band at another area contest at the later weekends? That is if you were a free lancer/band floater or you just wanted too that is.....!

PS are you heading across the water to Motherwell to hear the Scottish Championships then Dave?