PDA

View Full Version : porridge

michellegarbutt
14.09.2003, 19:58
After reading the weetabix debate it crossed my mind that this might be an ideal place to sort out an argument between ChewyTuba and myself. We both love porridge. I believe it should always be made by adding milk to the oats then served with sugar, golden syrup, cream or some other sweet accompaniment. Chewy belives it should be made by adding water to the oats and served with salt (yuk :hammer ). Who is right or are we both wrong. cast your votes now please

super_sop
14.09.2003, 20:37
definately to be made with milk, with a huge lump of jam stuck in the middle

Euph-Bari
14.09.2003, 20:38
Pure And Simply-

PORRIDGE IT WRONG!!!!!!

JessopSmythe
14.09.2003, 22:18
Pure And Simply-

PORRIDGE IT WRONG!!!!!!

That's not true at all. I thought it was a cracking series and really enjoy watching the re-runs on bravo and the like.

Euph-Bari
14.09.2003, 22:20
:wink: My Appologies , Yes it was Cracking!
:P

leisa
14.09.2003, 22:23

'Tis nice with jam, like rice puddin' also nice with a huge blob aof jam!!!

Naomi McFadyen
14.09.2003, 22:26

'Tis nice with jam, like rice puddin' also nice with a huge blob aof jam!!!

hmmm, funny you should mention rice pudding... :wink:

floral_dance
15.09.2003, 01:07
no, no, no, no, no, porridge should be made with milk and salt added, none of this sweet stuff, yuck!!!!!!!!!! :( :shock:

On the Horn
15.09.2003, 03:07
My god this is Old Mans food - My father has been trying to feed me this stuff since I was a child, can't stand it :x

Big Twigge
15.09.2003, 10:53
I'd say dark brown sugar is best tro sweeten porridge, but half milk and half water so its not too creamy.

Naomi McFadyen
15.09.2003, 11:37
My god this is Old Mans food

you're half way to 50 ;o)
some people think that's old :lol: :P

(just getting you back for your women and technology comment the other week ;o))

:wink:

On the Horn
15.09.2003, 11:53
Argh shiver me timbers, I better go and lie down, all this excitement, I need me nap!!

Naomi McFadyen
15.09.2003, 11:56
lol! :lol:

:wink:

rutty
15.09.2003, 11:59
I used to put a nice big swirl of Golden Syrup in the middle of my porridge, plus I liked it so thick that you could stand your spoon in it. Or even apply it as rendering to a wall ;)

timbloke
15.09.2003, 14:18
My dad's recipe for porridge was thus...

oats:milk:water ratio of 1:1:2 with a little cocoa powder mixed in... CHOCOLATE PORRIDGE!!! then loads of golden syrup all over the place, some in the bowl, and a bit of ice-cold milk to cool it down.

PeterBale
16.09.2003, 11:03
I had never taken porridge with salt until I spent a couple of months staying in Greenock. Now I am quite happy to have it either way - made with water and served with salt - with slice sausage to follow! - or made with milk and served with sugar . . . depends how the mood takes me :wink:

bladder
16.09.2003, 13:08
If you fancy porridge done slightly different try putting in a mashed banana while it's warming up, and use some honey to sweeten!!

Roger Thorne
16.09.2003, 22:32
I am quite happy to have it either way :shock:

sausage to follow! :shock: :shock:

depends how the mood takes me :shock: :shock: :shock:
Are to trying to tell us something here Peter! :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

faerie
16.09.2003, 22:57
I'd say dark brown sugar is best tro sweeten porridge, but half milk and half water so its not too creamy.

Thats how I like it too :) And really thick.
Cant beat a good bowl of porridge to start off a day in the field.

then loads of golden syrup all over the place, some in the bowl,
Oh really? ;) :)

ju33les
26.08.2004, 20:54
Instructions for making porridge:
Put on kettle.
Tear open sachet of instant Golden Syrup flavour porridge, and tip contents into bowl.
Pour on boiling water.
Eat whilst watching GMTV in the morning, slopping most of it down ones chin.
Go to work.
If not at work...skip first 4 instructions and slap two pieces of toast in the toaster!

Ooops - forgot most important part:
Skip all instructions and let hubby do it for you, apart from "going to work" (unfortunately)

TuTuKu
26.08.2004, 22:34
Tear open sachet of instant Golden Syrup flavour porridge, and tip contents into bowl.

Is that the oat so simple stuff?? That is nice.. better than all this traditional parp!

Dawnys_flug
26.08.2004, 22:55
Is that the oat so simple stuff?? That is nice.. better than all this traditional parp!
NO WAY!! That stuff is no way near as good!! With milk and sugar is the only way!

bigmamabadger
27.08.2004, 00:56
Porridge should be made with full cream milk, a tiny pinch of salt, and served up with copious amounts of black treacle. And possibly a little bit of cream "just to cool it down"
The rest of the day should be spent in the khazi or the gym. Either way you need to get rid of it...
BMB
xx

flugelgal
27.08.2004, 11:20
Well I appear to be the only person who likes it made with water and served sweet. I like it sweetened with any of the following (for sugar there should be a "thin" (thin is subjective...) layer sprinkled on top and left to go all "melty":

Granulated Sugar
Caster Sugar
Demarara (yum!)
Golden Syrup
I don't really like milk or honey (I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere...) so those are pretty much my options.

Disclaimer: The use of the symbol here does not signify any actual Registered Trademark.

Red Elvis
27.08.2004, 12:21
Porridge is the work of satan.
In the course of a days work , I see blood , vomit and a whole host of various bodily fluids of varying consistencies and smells.However, the only times I've ever thrown up in coming up to ten years of nursing is when I have had to mix and then dish out porridge and similar ( Don't even get me started on Ready Brek!!).
First thing I did when I got my own ward was to take the **** off the menu !!
Probably something to do with being force fed the stuff as a child.
Yuk !! Even thinking about the stuff is making me feel ill.Think I need to go and have a lie down now!!

flugelgal
27.08.2004, 12:24
First thing I did when I got my own ward was to take the **** off the menu !!
What about all those poor patients who actually like the stuff? :-(

As you are a nurse you must also know that oats are actually very good for you as they help to absorb some of the "bad stuff" in the gut on the way out (very technical :roll: )

:shock:

BoBo
27.08.2004, 13:15
Is anyone south of the border qualified to comment on this, 50 mile rule should apply :confused:

Red Elvis
27.08.2004, 14:30
What about all those poor patients who actually like the stuff? :-(

As you are a nurse you must also know that oats are actually very good for you as they help to absorb some of the "bad stuff" in the gut on the way out (very technical :roll: )

Tecnically you are right flugelgal ! Having said that , my gut contents did not last long when porridge was around !!!

From a cardiac health promotion point of view , porridge is actually good for you and I now serve it here ( but get one of my minions to dish it out!!!)

My first ward was an ITU - taking it off the menu was academic as no one there was eating anything in the normal way!!

Curiosity_Kills
06.09.2004, 17:02
... but half milk and half water so its not too creamy.
That's the way - but use honey .... mmmm.....

or jam ...

but salt?!?
You odd people!

lynchie
06.09.2004, 17:45
1 cup sainsburies economy porridge
1 cup milk
short splash of water
large dollop of jam (Rasperry works quite well...)
2 minutes, 40 seconds in the microwave on full power
Eat

It's got me through a year so far... although there have been dark times when I ran out of Jam... sugar is just not quite the same (and trying to throw in instant coffee for caffienated porridge does NOT work!)

Dave Payn
06.09.2004, 17:49
The porridge and Weetabix debates remind me of an old edition of Have I Got News For You, where it was revealed that scientists had spent an incredible 200,000 on researching why Corn Flakes go soft when you pour milk on them. The scientists tried to justify the research on the grounds that it can be unpleasant to cut your mouth on a dry cornflake.

Incredible......

lynchie
06.09.2004, 17:55
I like dry cornflakes!! Getting a bowl and milk is such a hastle... just shovel them in straight from the box!!

<--Never been cut by a cornflake but may be living on the edge...

TuTuKu
06.09.2004, 22:41
I like dry cornflakes!! Getting a bowl and milk is such a hastle... just shovel them in straight from the box!!
Not quite so keen on dry cornflakes, but dry frosties, or crunchy nut cornflakes are to die for!

ju33les
06.09.2004, 23:43
Sugar Puffs straight out of the box are the ones for me...apart from one side-effect- too many makes your wee smell of them!!

TIMBONE
07.09.2004, 00:34
I am surprised that ju33les spoke earlier in this thred about MAKING porridge, when her job is organising women who are DOING it!!!

Mrs Womble
22.09.2004, 19:57
Don't know who invented Porridge but who ever it was should be shot!! Sorry I really don't like the stuff :x :x :x :x

lynchie
22.09.2004, 20:48
Don't know who invented Porridge but who ever it was should be shot!! Sorry I really don't like the stuff :x :x :x :x
err... don't know how to tell you this, but I think they may already be dead...

Mrs Womble
22.09.2004, 20:50
Well thats good news Thanks Lynchie:D

err... don't know how to tell you this, but I think they may already be dead...