PDA

View Full Version : Expected Area results now

Nanny Ogg
08.02.2006, 09:12
Based on recent competition results. Where do people realistically think their band will finish in the areas?

2nd man down
08.02.2006, 09:35
Ooooohh!! Difficult one, how do you predict this without sounding either melodramatic or insultingly over confident??

We came 4th last year and we have improved no end since then, picking up a 2nd at Pogson Bray, 13th overall at Brighouse march Contest and 1st at Malton, so we'll be really gutted if we're not in the top three.

(Yorkshire 4th section)

Chunky
08.02.2006, 09:47
Where do people realistically think their band will finish in the areas?

No doubt where we will finish........In the Bar!!!!!

However no idea where we will be placed in the contest. We had a 3rd at the area last year (L & SC 2nd section) and a 1st at Leicester in the autumn. Who can really judge when we are playing Images of the Millenium!

CubbRep
08.02.2006, 10:20
I think that most bands,if they are honest would like to be in the top three.But ultimately we all want to come first.Judging the bands performance on past results,goes out the window at the area's.To me it is a lottery.It just depends how well you play on the day.Some bands peak too early and have a disaster on the day,others peak at just the right time and play a blinder.
Good luck to all bands on their day......Richard...CubbRep

Baritonedeaf
08.02.2006, 10:33
Somewhere between first and last :p

I agree with the above comments - it can be a real lottery as to which band turns up on the day, what disasters the band has to live with - there always seems to be something! - and how the adjudicator(s this year) like what we do...

Fingers are always crossed. But i really do think that is all you can hope for. 1st to last. Hopefully closer to 1st though :-).

WhatSharp?
08.02.2006, 11:31
You guys are lucky having two adjudicators, down here in L&SC we're still using the one man "lucky dip" method :D

Chunky
08.02.2006, 12:15
You guys are lucky having two adjudicators, down here in L&SC we're still using the one man "lucky dip" method :D

Maybe Steve but its served us both quite well over the years. Anyway after our customary early draw last year I was positive there were 2 adjudicators on stage!

Nanny Ogg
08.02.2006, 13:23
I think Lottery is best to describe it all. Will the nerves get to people, will the adjudicator(s) agree with your conductors interpretation of the piece. And its always best to end up in the bar. For me any improvement on last years area result will be a step in the right direction

stevetrom
08.02.2006, 13:29
Our last 3 results have been 8, 7, 6 so I assume 5th this year, hopefully we will get a change of draw, last and 1 from last in the previous 2 years - drinking time much reduced !

Sop_Or_Bass?
08.02.2006, 14:04
Our main goal is to try to avoid relegation! With a relegation from the Championship and then not being able to go last year (band nearly folded), we've spent the last 9 months rebuilding...

... and now we've got a band and can go - Hurrah!

Who knows what will happen in the section on the day, we'll have to see!

Stan Van Der Lager
08.02.2006, 15:07
I'm going to agree with some of those comments.... somewhere between 1st and last definately... I can even narrow this down to 1st and 12th as I hear a rumour that only 12 bands have entered our contest.
One comment even more certain than that is "the bar" Although bars are limited at the Burton venue so a small smokey pub round the corner is more like it...I might even stick my neck and say the greasy burger van in the car park might get a visit as well...

I think with Images it will be a lottery... a very much doubt any band will be able to play it correctly at tempo... so it all depends whether the judges go for a more accurate slower version or a not so accurate quicker version...hmmmm

I think Cilla Black should be the adjudicator as on that soap star super star she thought everyone was great... and she'd probably give a 12 way tie... that'll do me.

Cornishwomble
08.02.2006, 17:47
I think we are hoping to get promoted this year and looking at the rankings it means getting in the top 4. However I think we'll be dissapointed if we get promoted but miss out on a trip to Harrogate. The way we've been playing lately I think we could get top 2

Yorkshire 1st Section

stevetrom
08.02.2006, 17:58
when will the tMp prediction competition be open for business?

dyl
08.02.2006, 17:59
when will the tMp prediction competition be open for business?

When we have confirmation of all the competing bands in all the Areas!

ian perks
08.02.2006, 18:18
Our main goal is to try to avoid relegation!

We need to get in the first 6 for definate or else its 2nd section but we can come a slow as 8th providing 8 band s who are above us finish below us as 99% of us have said its a lottery it all depends if your face fits on the day:
And as im the best at using them::) ;) :confused: :mad: :ranting2: :woo
POST NUMBER 979

HBB
08.02.2006, 18:37
I think Cilla Black should be the adjudicator as on that soap star super star she thought everyone was great... and she'd probably give a 12 way tie... that'll do me.

LFMAO!! If i could still give rep... :clap:

1alexm
08.02.2006, 18:42
1st......... obviously

andyp
08.02.2006, 21:28
It's almost impossible to predict our section, cos there's bands from 2nd section local in it that you don't play against except at the Area, all we can do is give it our best and cross fingers!

Charmed
09.02.2006, 07:56
I think we are hoping to get promoted this year and looking at the rankings it means getting in the top 4. However I think we'll be dissapointed if we get promoted but miss out on a trip to Harrogate. The way we've been playing lately I think we could get top 2

Yorkshire 1st Section

:clap:

Well we may end up swapping with you! LOL

GingerMaestro
09.02.2006, 10:47
Our main goal is to try to avoid relegation! With a relegation from the Championship and then not being able to go last year (band nearly folded), we've spent the last 9 months rebuilding...

... and now we've got a band and can go - Hurrah!

Who knows what will happen in the section on the day, we'll have to see!

Well done to you all for the hard work that I know you have put in to get the band to a position where you can now compete with the best of them in your section again
you have a great bunch of people and a good man in the middle so the only way for you all I hope is UP

See you at the weekend and lets prove that Lydney are still a force to be reackoned with

vonny
09.02.2006, 11:34
Hey Chunky so your section just as the ONE ajudicator then?;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
You better get cracking on then with the practicing - as i am sure you are :biggrin:

Yvonne x

GingerMaestro
09.02.2006, 11:40
As I have only just joined the ranks of my band in time for the areas I believe that we need to come in the top 5 to get promotion to the 2nd section but we are definately not just aiming ofr that we want to go there with the intension of winning it and I'm sure with the hard work we have put in and the hard work put in by our conductor S P J we have a great chance of doing it

No less than a Win will do

Come on guys lets go for it

Thirteen Ball
09.02.2006, 12:52

Last year our area comments from one adjudicator said "Good, broad trombone sound at figure G. Shame basses don't match up with more volume."

The other chap's comments said "Trombones thin and scrappy at G, Basses clearly overblowing."

Both sets of comments were littered with conflict like that. How on earth is that any use? Beleive me, two adjudicators is no better than one. It just means you get two conficting opinions that don't make any more sense than the usual stuff from one man.

At least if it's a lottery you stand some chance of doing alright whatever happens!

After a last at the Areas (champ) 2nd last at the senior cup, nowhere at wilkinsons despite "having some fine moments and a good sound" (4br) you'd have some evidence to support expecting us to finish way down the order... but I don't think it's as cut and dried as that.

We only had about 7 rehearsals on montage due to our NZ tour, and Kev was only our stand in stick-waver then so we weren't used to his style. As for the areas, it was always on the cards. Go up to championship one year and it's a fairly safe bet you come down the next, especially in Yorkshire. We thought we'd done better at wilkos despite a couple of slips but never mind. It was a learning experience after a lot of changes.

Hopefully with all that out of the way, we should be stronger for this area. Get our contesting heads back on and consolidate our position. But there's no point going if you don't try to win...... ;)

iancwilx
09.02.2006, 15:24
[QUOTE=Stan Van Der Lager]
[I][COLOR=#0000ff] very much doubt any band will be able to play it correctly at tempo... so it all depends whether the judges go for a more accurate slower version or a not so accurate quicker version...hmmmm

You have put your finger fairly and squarely on the dilemma that faces all Section 2 M.D.s
Play it slow and safe or at set Tempo, you could end up 1st or Last according to the Adjudicators whim.
"Lottery" is truly the word !
- Wilky

Cornishwomble
09.02.2006, 16:57
:clap:

Well we may end up swapping with you! LOL

You only need a good performance and if you get placed about 9 or 10th that may be enough for you to stay up. Good luck!!

Griffin
09.02.2006, 17:15
Well based on my peformance on Sunday... Roberts, Crockford et al have nothing to worry about!

Band did well... i was ****e!

Cornishwomble
09.02.2006, 17:17
Well based on my peformance on Sunday... Roberts, Crockford et al have nothing to worry about!

Band did well... i was ****e!

Maybe you're just saving yourself for the big day!

madsaz
09.02.2006, 19:25
Michael -I heard you - I didn't think you were awful. Mind you, I didn't much like the piece either.

Lets be honest, we all secretly want to win and if we don't we'll all blame the adjuducator.

Griffin
09.02.2006, 23:41
Michael -I heard you - I didn't think you were awful. Mind you, I didn't much like the piece either.

Well, cheers. Nerves finally got to me, twas a long day... every1 keeps telling me it wasn't bad, but I know I can nail it, thats what's ****ed me off... don't want it playing on my mind when it comes to the areas.

Band played well tho, so looking forward to the areas, think we have to come in the top 6 to stay up! only have to beat the best bands in the world! :(

Cornishwomble
10.02.2006, 08:38
Well, cheers. Nerves finally got to me, twas a long day... every1 keeps telling me it wasn't bad, but I know I can nail it, thats what's ****ed me off... don't want it playing on my mind when it comes to the areas.

Band played well tho, so looking forward to the areas, think we have to come in the top 6 to stay up! only have to beat the best bands in the world! :(

You know there could be a TV series in that ;)

Steve
10.02.2006, 08:47
I didnt realise Tenacious D had antered!1

southisbest
10.02.2006, 12:42
why not just go to the oricle of all things banding ( 4barsrest ) where you can find the best predidtions of all!!!!????

2nd man down
10.02.2006, 12:53
why not just go to the oricle of all things banding ( 4barsrest ) where you can find the best predidtions of all!!!!????

Because there aren't any there yet??

Nanny Ogg
10.02.2006, 13:30
The thread is intend to find out how people feel, now they've had a few results. By the sounds of it all the same, hopes and fears are brewing in us all. We'll be nervous, play, head to the bar and after a few sherberts, results : think why do we put ourselves through the emotional rollercoaster and look forward to the ride next year!!!

2nd man down
10.02.2006, 13:38
Exactly, play good or bad, here's to you all.

cheers!

michellegarbutt
11.02.2006, 01:28
Well it's our first time in 2nd section, There are only 8 2nd section bands registered in our region. 2 of them I know are not in a position to compete so I predict we'll come somewhere in the top six.

Charmed
11.02.2006, 01:45
The thread is intend to find out how people feel, now they've had a few results. By the sounds of it all the same, hopes and fears are brewing in us all. We'll be nervous, play, head to the bar and after a few sherberts, results : think why do we put ourselves through the emotional rollercoaster and look forward to the ride next year!!!

I'm afraid our expectations are not high! The nerves will not be to put on a good performance to win, not in Yorkshire area anyhow, but to not come last. lol (first time in Championship Section this year)

Cornishwomble
11.02.2006, 16:36
I'm afraid our expectations are not high! The nerves will not be to put on a good performance to win, not in Yorkshire area anyhow, but to not come last. lol (first time in Championship Section this year)
At least you're there, even if you only last a year, it'ds better to be able to have a crack, and if you play your best on the day, the result is irrelevant. You'll always be able to say you competed against the likes of Dyke, Grimethorpe and B&R

Charmed
11.02.2006, 21:44
At least you're there, even if you only last a year, it'ds better to be able to have a crack, and if you play your best on the day, the result is irrelevant. You'll always be able to say you competed against the likes of Dyke, Grimethorpe and B&R

Yep, can just see the draw now.

4th Black Dyke
5th Hatfield
6th Grimethorpe
7th YBS

Oh yes, really looking forward to this year's area. But you are right, at least we can say we've been up there with some of the best in the country. lol

HANNAH
12.02.2006, 02:52
I think its really hard to predict where you're going to come. Especially when I'm not entirely sure who else in our section is going to be there. Plus with a piece like Images, who can possibly predict what will happen on the day! I think if we carry on the way we're going we will be able to do well, but it really just depends what happens on the day. Especially as we probably won't be playing til the afternoon because we only have one hall at Stevenage at Saturday, so people will either have had a few drinks or just be bored stupid waiting to play, then of course there's always the issue of nerves...and I'm not even going to go there. I'm thinking being principal in a band playing Images is really not a good thing!!!

bandcampgal
13.02.2006, 12:50
hopin we come top 6 cos we came 7th last yr and think we'v improved since then

Thirteen Ball
13.02.2006, 15:33
Yep, can just see the draw now.

4th Black Dyke
5th Hatfield
6th Grimethorpe
7th YBS

Not sure who followed us on last year, but I know we followed YBS on.

Not fun listening to that backstage. You know how even a ropey band sound good when you're backstage? Imagine how good a really top drawer band sound!!! Not sure about anyone else, but my confidence just drained right out of my boots. Then I saw Grimey play later, and realised we weren't even on the same planet.

Yorkshre champ section's tough, but as my old band seargeant from juniors told me (very nervous) before my first ever areas:

"Never forget, whoever you are, whatever band or section you're in, you are the equal anyone else who'll walk across that stage today, just by taking part. The contest isn't complete without you."

Good luck. See you in the bar!

Griffin
13.02.2006, 15:35
That's my sentiments too... Its gonna be tough comtpeting against Dyke et al, but at least we/i've got the chance to do it, even if it is only once.
Just gonna enjoy it, play me best, then probably get ****ed. what more could you want?

:tup

Cornishwomble
13.02.2006, 17:44
That's my sentiments too... Its gonna be tough comtpeting against Dyke et al, but at least we/i've got the chance to do it, even if it is only once.
Just gonna enjoy it, play me best, then probably get ****ed. what more could you want?

a nice kebab? ;)

iancwilx
14.02.2006, 20:20

Exactly - it'll be a great occasion for the band.
You've already won a great prize before you've played a note by qualifying to compete in the same Area and Section as the finest bands in the world.
We did it a few years ago - played in between Dyke and Grimey to a packed St.Georges Hall.
The Official Programme with the list of bands is one of my proudest possessions.
We've done it a few times and it's an honour on each occasion.
There's no pressure because success is just doing your best and not coming last will be a bonus. AND you never know, you may spring a surprize !!
Either way, it's a good excuse to meet old friends and sink a few jars of Ale !!
Good Luck
- Wilky

Will the Sec
14.02.2006, 23:02
I wouldn't like to guess where we'll finish to be honest - not because I think we'll be worse than any of the other bands, but because I wouldn't want to end up saying things like "We were banking on getting to the nationals this year" - a trap at least one band fell into last year.

Charmed
15.02.2006, 09:49
I wouldn't like to guess where we'll finish to be honest - not because I think we'll be worse than any of the other bands, but because I wouldn't want to end up saying things like "We were banking on getting to the nationals this year" - a trap at least one band fell into last year.

Well Good Luck to you anyway :)

At least that's one pressure off us this year! We won't be expecting to get to the Finals! lol :biggrin:

David Pegram
24.02.2006, 19:42
Don't know where we will come but we were robbed

barrytone
24.02.2006, 20:32
Really looking forward to the areas this year. Voyage of Discovery is a great piece, full of lots of solo work and alot of full band sounds. Don't feel under any pressure as such, we're not defending a title or pushing for promotion, just looking for a good, musical performance. There's alot of very good first section bands in Yorkshire so I am looking forward to the competition from them.

Good luck to one and all, may the best band win!

ekimmort
24.02.2006, 22:18
Walking onto the stage at Darlington and waiting for the stick to come down will be a result for me, anything else is a bonus after the the problems we will have overcome.:D

meandmycornet
25.02.2006, 18:32
Mr Musicman oh Mr Musicman are we having the amazing tMP Area Prediction Machine again this year?!?! pleeeeease say we are :D

dyl
25.02.2006, 18:48
I'm not Mr, Musicman, but I'll answer the question anyway!

Yes we are having the tMP Prediction Contest again this year - in fact, we'll be launching it very soon indeed!

Eyes peeled..................

lausonbass
25.02.2006, 22:22
this probably sounds horrible to my band, but i hope we get 3rd (which would be a great improvement from last year), but i'm moving away just after the area so would be absolutely gutted if they got to go to harrogate without me.

Am i horrid?

Di
25.02.2006, 22:49
Laura! You'd better be hoping for fourth then, as according to the Kapitol Rules here (http://www.regional-contest.org.uk/london/National%20Brass%20Band%20Championships%20Rules.pd f), three bands will qualify. Anyway, let us qualify you meanie. If we go to Harrogate, we'll have a drinkies for you. ;)

the assisstant
26.02.2006, 11:50
Well Good Luck to you anyway :)

At least that's one pressure off us this year! We won't be expecting to get to the Finals! lol :biggrin:

Less of the negativity charmed, why not? If our band was a horse running in a race and I looked at our past form figures, I would be having at least 50p each way on us. It might be at 250/1 but there is always a chance.

stotty74
02.03.2006, 14:18
Well, with my Area's record i'm not holding out much hope!!

1998 - 12th (and last!!) - Jayess '87
2002 - 7th - Northop
2003 - 9th - Northop
2004 - 9th - Northop (and relegated :( )
2005 - 6th - Northop (1st Section)

Must be me that's the bogey player!! But the band have done well in the last 18 months, getting some very good results, but just never in Swansea!! Plus 'Voyage' is the hardest opening to a test-piece i have ever played!!

ekimmort
02.03.2006, 21:39
Does anyone out there have a complete list of runners for the 2nd Section, North of England. I have heard that many stories of who is going or not going it would be nice to know the truth

sparkling_quavers
02.03.2006, 23:26
Does anyone out there have a complete list of runners for the 2nd Section, North of England. I have heard that many stories of who is going or not going it would be nice to know the truth
If you follow the "tMP Regional Predictions '06' link at the top of the screen (see screenshot if you can't find it) you will see a full list of entries for all the areas (and sections) . You can also make some predictions if you are up for a bit of fun! :tup

backrowbloke
07.03.2006, 16:58
TBH - I don't care where we finish :)
Contesting - Bah!