PDA

View Full Version : James Gourlay - British Tuba Concertos - NAXOS CD

brassneck
05.02.2006, 21:29
- I've just found potentially a serious bargain for low brass fans ... a new CD featuring the tuba concertos of Edward Gregson, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Roger Steptoe and John Golland played by Jimmy Gourlay and the Royal Ballet Sinfonia (James Sutherland). And for only £5 on the NAXOS label. Not got it yet, but is available on ...

http://www.naxos.com/mainsite/NaxosCat/naxos_cat.asp?item_code=8.557754

... or maybe in your local music shop selling NAXOS albums. Shame he didn't record the new Judith Bingham concerto he premiered recently.

post-edit:- this is where I first saw the summary of the album

http://www.tubanews.com/articles/contentid-257.html

James Yelland
06.02.2006, 07:31
This CD was on sale at the RNCM Festival of Brass last weekend - on the Brass Herald stand, for some reason.

I bought a copy and it's a fine addition to my collection. The Gregson concerto sounds very fresh. The strings replacing muted cornets in the middle movement make it sound as though the concerto was written originally for orchestra and rescored later for brass band, instead of the other way round. And I had no idea John Golland had written a tuba concerto until now.

nickjones
06.02.2006, 09:10
I am sure Mostyn music publish the John Golland concerto , it was first performed by Andy Duncan and the Halle Orchestra , I think the score was found after John Golland Passed away in 1993.

brassneck
16.02.2006, 17:03
I got the CD a couple of days ago ... Buy It! (... even if it is only just for the Golland and Steptoe concertos). Even non low-brass enthusiasts should get it out of curiosity for the price of £5.99 (£5 if you buy in 3 CD package in major stores).

James Yelland
15.03.2006, 23:15
Part of a review of this CD appears in the current edition of - Private Eye! It reproduces part of a review from Brittania Records as one of its 'news cuttings' features, as follows:

"This, seemingly the most comical of instruments, shows itself to having great emotional depths in this enervating collection."

Readers struggling to find the joke in the above quote should consult their dictionaries. I had to.

Bungle
16.03.2006, 09:44
Yep, went out and bought it on the recommendation. Great CD and it's nice to have a change now and again from listening to brass band music. Only problem is I've lent it to a sousaphone player (plays in jazz bands) who works at our place, he's enjoying it so much it might be a while until I get it back!

FlugelD
16.03.2006, 13:43
Part of a review of this CD appears in the current edition of - Private Eye!

Readers struggling to find the joke in the above quote should consult their dictionaries. I had to.

Glad it wasn't just me! :oops: