PDA

View Full Version : Who has their lineup sorted?

stevetrom
03.02.2006, 13:25
As far as I know we are now 1/2 players short of a full lineup for the Areas, how is everyone else doing?

what is the latest you would make changes to a line up?

Steve what is trombone lineup at GUS now?

Bass Trumpet
03.02.2006, 17:55
As far as I know we are now 1/2 players short of a full lineup for the Areas, how is everyone else doing?

I'll field that question! Me, Steve and Nigel Love on bass trom. We have got our line-up pretty much finalised already - a record I think!

ari01
03.02.2006, 17:56

which half of the player are you short?

stevetrom
03.02.2006, 18:02
which half of the player are you short?

well one or two of us could be described as 1 1/2 players !

tinytimp
03.02.2006, 18:40
We're only short of 1 percussionist now (and we've already had a reshuffle!). We've got someone lined up but she hasn't turned up yet!

ian perks
03.02.2006, 19:08
1 Percussion

euphfanhan
03.02.2006, 23:59
A sop, about 4/5 cornets, bass trom - so short in fact that we're not going! Gutted :(

Charmed
04.02.2006, 09:26
Still short of a Solo Horn!!!!!

dyl
04.02.2006, 10:37
Full band. And a couple of back-row cornets attending every rehearsal, just in case they'll be needed.

Rapier
04.02.2006, 12:21
We're still trying to fit not enough players onto too many positions! Need to decide which parts are least important to free the player up to play something else, 2nd horn or back row cornet and someone will have to play flugal from the solo cornet bench!

Dyl, how much do you want for those cornet players? ;)

The Cornet King
04.02.2006, 12:24
The Emley have a full line up for the areas now, all we need is one back row cornet for after the areas.
Things are looking good :tup

stevetrom
06.02.2006, 09:38
Full band. And a couple of back-row cornets attending every rehearsal, just in case they'll be needed.

I know I am probably opening a subject that has been discussed before, but if you have some 'spare' players why can't they be temporarily 'loaned' to a band who are short of players?

BeatTheSheep
06.02.2006, 10:31
this sounds like how most bands enter local contests!

would be useful if you could borrow at least one player from the same section for the area

Charmed
07.02.2006, 08:41
I know I am probably opening a subject that has been discussed before, but if you have some 'spare' players why can't they be temporarily 'loaned' to a band who are short of players?

To be controversial (:eek: ), Aren't contests, specifically the areas, there to test the 'band's' ability? If you borrowed players for this contest, would it not be the 'strapped for cash' bands that suffer, AGAIN. Those with the 'cash' could pay for excellent players to enhance their performance on this day, but not show a true reflection of the band that is the rest of the year. Just an observation :confused:

stevetrom
07.02.2006, 09:30
To be controversial (:eek: ), Aren't contests, specifically the areas, there to test the 'band's' ability? If you borrowed players for this contest, would it not be the 'strapped for cash' bands that suffer, AGAIN. Those with the 'cash' could pay for excellent players to enhance their performance on this day, but not show a true reflection of the band that is the rest of the year. Just an observation :confused:

I was'nt suggesting that any band should part with money, what I was suggesting was that if a band had more players than was allowed for a contest, amd those players did'nt want to leave but wanted to play in a contest, they should be allowed a temparary move to a band that was short of players.

If you want the areas to be a true test of a band then why not have a rule that if you could not show that the players for a contest had played at the previous 3/4 concerts then they would not be allowed to play for the contest !

PHA161
07.02.2006, 16:18
I'll field that question! Me, Steve and Nigel Love on bass trom. We have got our line-up pretty much finalised already - a record I think!

Hardly a record Bass Trumpet ~ years ago the line up never changed from year to year in the old GUS !

Steve
09.02.2006, 19:00
Hardly a record Bass Trumpet ~ years ago the line up never changed from year to year in the old GUS !

Unfortunately Trevor, John B et al were all otherwise engaged!!!!!!!

PHA161
10.02.2006, 13:39
Unfortunately Trevor, John B et al were all otherwise engaged!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, we've mostly all retired from top level playing, you as a band should not be looking backwards but try to attract young and upcoming players.
'In days gone past' there was always a queue for any empty chair, but I do realise that without full sponsorship and the lack of star names within the ranks possible applicants now have further options with other bands. I can only wish you well and hope that it sorts itself out.

Steve
10.02.2006, 14:04
Thanks for the kind words PHA161, The GUS band is in better shape than it has been for several years with some truly magnificent players around the stands and a magnificent team in Shawn (band manager) and David Stowell (MD).

We can only dream of having a queue of players applying, as can most bands in our area (and others). However, we will keep striving to improve ourselves and keep up the tradition that the great name holds for fine music making and, hopefully get the name on some more tropies.

Redhorn
17.02.2006, 15:28
We now have a full line-up, including 3 percussionists, for our all out attack of the L& S.C 1st Section title!
Just awaiting confirmation of one 3rd ct player- and if he can't do it will call in the reserves!

HANNAH
17.02.2006, 21:08
It must be nice to have yourlineup sorted!

Charmed
18.02.2006, 17:43
Still short of a Solo Horn!!!!!

This has now been sorted! Full band now.

Dave Euph
22.02.2006, 15:28
We've had a full line-up for some time now. The only problems that have arisen are with a solo Eb Bass. We have one booked for the Area who's helped us out before though.

I'm also noticing how lucky that makes us! :D

Accidental
09.03.2006, 15:01
If you borrowed players for this contest, would it not be the 'strapped for cash' bands that suffer, AGAIN. Those with the 'cash' could pay for excellent players to enhance their performance on this day...
All the cash in the world doesn't help if people just aren't available. I've discovered Rocking horse poo is easier to buy than vibraphone players!

ian perks
09.03.2006, 19:11
1 Percussion
:biggrin: meaning Full line up for contest on Saturday

BbBill
09.03.2006, 23:56
We've got 25 and percussion, managed to sign a sop player, and we've just got 1 EEb and 1 BBb bass playing, but are using two 2nd baris and two 2nd trombones. The spaces are there anyway, so may as well give the youngsters a go, and the bass part in Entertainments sounds fine for 2 basses and should work ok......hopefully!

We had a few folk shifting instruments/positions to boost up the relevant parts so hopefully it'll be ok come sat!

Deano
10.03.2006, 11:09
Still one backrow cornet short due to illness, if we can't find one within the next 4 days we'll either go one short or use a doctors note to borrow.

If there are any unregistered or can be de-registered cornet players in South Wales out there that fancy Images PM me.

Redhorn
10.03.2006, 11:56
Well, we thought we were full up- until we read this thread!:

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19831

So, blatant case of poaching another bands player- on a public forum! :clap: Not a great idea, id have thought! :mad:

Steve
10.03.2006, 13:32
Please would all members reading the link above please remember this thread is for line up discussions and not the rights and wrongs of the 'Horn Players Help Please' thread.

Thank you

Charmed
12.03.2006, 12:26
Well, we thought we were full up- until we read this thread!:

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19831

Anyone know why I can't access the above thread? When I pressed on the link it came up with a message saying I don't have permission :confused:

dyl
12.03.2006, 12:30
Susan, we received a request from the people concerned to remove the thread from public view.

Charmed
12.03.2006, 12:40
Ok, thanks, just thought I might have something wrong with my computer.