PDA

View Full Version : Which hand?

Lisa
10.09.2003, 15:30
There is supposed to be some kinda connection between left-handedness and creativity so was just wondering what handedness people are!

There seem to be an unusually high proportion of lefties in our band. 3 out of 4 of us solo cornet players are left handed and so is our conductor!
(Also, 3 out of 4 of us solo cornet players are female which is quite cool too! 8) )

We also have an ambidextrous Sop player - but have decided that she's just a freak :wink:
Of course, us lefties are just obviously amazing and brilliant and fantastic and far better than everyone else in the world! :wink: :lol:

Darth_Tuba
10.09.2003, 15:34
I'm right handed, but I'm definately more of a sciency bod than a creative one! :)

PeterBale
10.09.2003, 15:46
As I think I have posted previusly on another thread, the "experts" tell us that a greater than usual proportion of lunatics and geniuses are left-handed.

I can vouch for the left-handedness, but I'll leave it up to others to comment on the rest :oops: :oops: :oops:

Roger Thorne
10.09.2003, 15:48
We had a similar discussion recently about music pads, how left and right-handed peole sort them in different ways.
I'm left-handed (and left-footed) and I'm an 'arty' person and when I get the time I still occasionally paint (oil colours on canvas, not gloss on skirting boards).
Did anyone notice the pictures of Paul McCartney in the 'Bandsman' last week. I didn't realise that he was left-handed. There's a picture of him holding a cornet and using his left hand on the valves. There's also a picture of him conducting with his left hand.

I think that last paragraph should have gone in the useless information thread.

:wink:

Cantonian
10.09.2003, 16:29
I am right handed but once made a mistake when I realised I was shuffling and dealing cards like a left handed colleague. I said I thought that I may be a latent left-hander at which stage everybody fell over laughing.

Jo Elson
10.09.2003, 20:07
Also left handed people are more likely to survive from a stroke because they use both parts of their brain so when the one side goes they are still ok and can recover where as right-handed people only use one side of their brain and are less likely to recover - or something like that (it was in the news a month or so ago)

Janet Watkins
10.09.2003, 21:03
I'm another leftie!

At my previous band it seemed that around 50% were left handed. I have often wondered about the bias.

The following link has lots of info which may interest fellow lefties.

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/index.html

Not sure if I am genius or a lunatic.....................I am a bass player though!

Janet

Naomi McFadyen
10.09.2003, 21:17
I'm right handed...

Goff Richards is left handed... conducts with his left hand and stuff, but when it comes to computer usage he uses his right hand for the mouse...
Now theres something you may not have known! lol!

TheMusicMan
10.09.2003, 21:22
Right handed and right footed me, but I hold my fork in my right hand and my knife in my left...

leisa
10.09.2003, 22:02
im a righty!!!

Heather
11.09.2003, 00:34
I'm left handed and so is my mum!!

Pythagoras
11.09.2003, 00:43
Right-handed, but apparently I write like a left-handed person just with my right hand.

Mike Saville
11.09.2003, 11:52
I write left handed but do everything else right handed.

twigglet
11.09.2003, 11:53
Right handed, left footed. Just a bit of a mis match really, that pretty much sums up my brain aswell!

On the Horn
11.09.2003, 13:29
I am right handed but unlike right handed people I dont wear my watch on my left! Reckon I'm a Alien.

Lisa
11.09.2003, 14:28
I write left handed but do everything else right handed.

Yeah, kinda don't have much choice really coz most stuff is designed for right handed people. :dunno
Apparently you can get left handed pianos. I wonder if a left handed piano would actually improve my playing - i used to sometimes get the hands muddled up - try to play the left hand part in right hand and vice versa :dunno

Hilary Mateer
12.09.2003, 00:49
never had much trouble with left and right hand on piano but when I tried to learn to play a church organ I used to get my feet and left hand mixed up :?

Roger Thorne
12.09.2003, 01:29
Click on the link below to find some famous left handers:

http://www.ac2w.com/en_gauchers_celebres.asp

groovy
12.09.2003, 22:34
I'm right handed, burt I reckon we could all be ambidextrous if we just practise writing with our opposite hand. I can write ok with my left hand!

floral_dance
13.09.2003, 19:01
I am left handed as is my mum, i am arty but also have a science degree.

michellegarbutt
14.09.2003, 17:58
I am right handed but unlike right handed people I dont wear my watch on my left! Reckon I'm a Alien.

Nope I'm right handed and I also wear my watch on my right wrist

Euph-Bari
14.09.2003, 18:00
same here!

Despot
15.09.2003, 02:13
Right handed and right footed me, but I hold my fork in my right hand and my knife in my left...

Me too! Although I change depending on company I'm with!

I though I was alone! :D

geordiecolin
16.09.2003, 01:17
Well,

I kick with my left, i throw with my left (apart from Javelin, which I throw right handed), I bat right-handed when playing cricket, i can play tennis equally well (or badly??!!) with either hand, i write with my right hand, although i first wrote with my left, yet wear my watch on my right as well. At the bowling alley i use either for the first few throws and then decide which hand is "working" that day and use that one.

When younger I had the ability to write perfect mirror writing, yet my normal handwriting was almost illegible!

So, generally, I am, Left footed, Right handed, with a smattering of ambidextrousness thrown in for good measure! Can i check all 3 boxes then??!!

PeterBale
16.09.2003, 11:24
Don't forget, of course, that the origin of our term "sinister", meaning something dubious and untrustworthy, is found in the latin word for "left" - he says, sinisterly :wink: :lol: :lol:

Lisa
16.09.2003, 13:12
The devil is supposed to be left-handed :twisted:
Evil spirits lurk over our left shoulder, which is why you throw spilt salt over your left shoulder to ward them off.
Apparently a high proportion of criminals and murderers are left handed, including Jack the Ripper, the Boston Strangler, Black Panther and Billy the Kid.
Doesn't really give much hope to lefties! We're all just evil! :dunno

PeterBale
16.09.2003, 13:43
Apparently a high proportion of criminals and murderers are left handed, including Jack the Ripper, the Boston Strangler, Black Panther and Billy the Kid.

Shouldn't they be left-pawed, or left-hooved :?: :wink: :lol:

Sellers_Bird
16.09.2003, 19:36
whose a clever clogs..geordiecolin...cant jus be simple can ya!!>!>!?? :lol:

craigyboy1
17.09.2003, 08:44
Right handed and right footed. :!:

In Scotland it is possible to be right handed and a left footer. He He :D

PeterBale
17.09.2003, 09:49
Right handed and right footed. :!:

In Scotland it is possible to be right handed and a left footer. He He :D

. . . not to mention being a "first-footer" :shock:

titch
17.09.2003, 17:37
I'm a freak!!!! :lol:

I write with whichever hand the pen is in, I'm right footed and left eyed!
I do domestic things like cleaning and washing up and ironing with my left hand and cut with my right.

Am I the only one? :?: