PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Silent Brass SB-29 Euphonium

Mister 4x4
08.01.2006, 18:39
Does anyone have any experience with this device?

I'm asking because my wife has a rather bizarre schedule which makes home practice kind of tough to swing on any kind of schedule of my own. She's been very supportive of my recent delving back into the band scene, even to the point of sitting quietly and not picking on me while I practice. But there's times when she's asleep (could be any given moment of the day thanks to the medication she's on) that I'm ready to practice but don't want to risk waking her.

I recently purchased a Yamaha SB-29 from an eBay store and I'm waiting for its arrival - should be sometime next week... hopefully before the weekend of the 14th. Here's a link to the eBay listing: Linkage (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=7375443543)

I'm anxious to find out if it's worth the investment. I'll post my findings here if anyone's interested. But meanwhile, if anyone has anything to add, I'd be most appreciative.

Di
08.01.2006, 18:42
The quick and easy answer to this is "it does what it says on the tin".

There's very very little sound at all using this. Can certainly not be heard from one room to another with a closed door in between. :)

Mister 4x4
08.01.2006, 18:57
Thanks so much. I find it hard to believe that something so small can actually be effective in diminishing the sound coming from Nacho (my Jupiter 470). I was surprised to find that it's actually much louder than Not So Wee (my Blessing marching baritone), and keeping it's voice to a minimum seems an almost impossible task to me - especially when I'm aiming for the upper range. (these old chops ain't what they used to be ;) )

I'm excited to find out how it goes.

Aaron
09.01.2006, 09:45
I was in a similar predicament to yourself when i was on euph (now on bari), in that i live in a mid-terrace with young children/babies on either side of me, thus making evening practice not an option.
However, i made the bold investment into the silent brass system, & i have to say it is a great little piece of kit, my better half said that very little could be heard even when i was blasting out in the upper register, so i would defo reccommend it...a sound (sorry, no pun intended) investment in my opinion

cujo_134
15.01.2006, 03:33
Does the Euph one also work on baritones? I'm looking into getting one, and play 2 different instruments in 2 bands.

Mister 4x4
15.01.2006, 05:35
I would think it would... Just sit a little higher in the bell maybe.

I haven't seen one advertised for Baritone apart from the Euphs. I'm going to check it in both of my horns (Marching Bari & Euph), and I'll letcha know. I think the MB has a bell similar to the upright Baritone horn.

Should be here on Monday.

cujo_134
15.01.2006, 19:03
Thanks, I'm gonna need one when I go away to Uni in the fall. I'm sure my parents would love for me to get it now though!

persins
15.01.2006, 19:53
Although I've heard a lot of good regarding the silent brass solutions, I've always thought them very expensive!

Have you thought about trying one of the ssshhhhhmutes? They are brilliant.

Have a look at www.brassbits.com (http://www.brassbits.com) for more info.

Baritonedeaf
15.01.2006, 19:54
I am also intrigued if it will fit in a Baritone - as I was not sure what option to lookt at...

There is a quite a difference in the width of the bells and bell tubes between a Euph and a Bari...

HorniKaz
15.01.2006, 19:54
I use a trombone one in my horn. Apparantly its wonderful!!!! :rolleyes:

Neil Glynn
15.01.2006, 21:54
Have you thought about trying one of the ssshhhhhmutes? They are brilliant.

These mutes have had rave reviews, unfortunately they're not yet available for Euphonium, although I've been in touch with the company that make them and they have one planned for later on this year.

Mister 4x4
15.01.2006, 22:42
I use a trombone one in my horn. Apparantly its wonderful!!!! :rolleyes:

Based on what I've seen of proper Baritones, that might be the way to go. But I'll letcha know what I find out... tomorrow - hopefully.

Baritonedeaf
15.01.2006, 22:46
I have a standard British Sovereign so maybe a Bass Trom one would be right...

James Yelland
16.01.2006, 07:39
Does the Euph one also work on baritones?

The Silent Brass drive unit itself applies to all brass instruments - but I think I can safely say that the euphonium mute will NOT fit into a baritone bell. It does not taper in the way that a Wick or Gane mute does.

Baritonedeaf
16.01.2006, 15:44
Thanks for that - i though not!

cujo_134
16.01.2006, 20:35
So we've determined that the Euph mute doesn't work, but what about something that does. My baritone is a Besson Sovereign. Any ideas?

Mister 4x4
17.01.2006, 00:40
OK - here's the deal. I got the Silent Brass system in a few hours ago. And of course, what better time to test it out than while my wife's asleep in the next room. :D

First - the goods: It came in it's own box, which is actually a shipping quality box with cardboard dividers that also holds the individual components. It had three sections - the mute itself, the 'small parts' box, and the section for the carrying bag. Yes - it even comes with a cool carrying bag with a large, draw-string controlled section for the mute, and a smaller formed zippered section with a compartmented insert for the small stuff and accessories.

As soon as I got it out of the plastic bag, I pulled Nacho out and fit the mute into the bell (Nacho is what I named my Euph, FYI). It fit in the bell perfectly and sealed well. Now for the big test - how much noise would leak out? Well, on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being normal playing volume of mezzo forte, I'd say: 1. That's right - it's incredibly quiet. And I even tried blowing my brains out... and not more than a 2. Definintely, someone in the next room with the door closed will not be disturbed - even in a flat with paper-thin walls.

OK - satisfied that I would not be waking anyone up, I proceeded to unbox the rest of the goodies. In the 'small parts' box, there was the SB-9 Personal Studio, a small pair of earbud-type headphones, the input lead for the pick-up microphone in the mute, a snappy leather belt-loop carrying strap (for the SB-9), a 9-volt battery, and of course - instructions. Well, who needs instructions anyway?

I plugged it all in, and must say it's a little awkward keeping all the wires straight and getting everything hooked up while you're holding your horn in your lap... so I would recommend getting it all hooked up except for the mute and the horn, then grab your horn and install the mute, then plug the mute in and you're ready to play. Wire management is a trick, so I would plan on not having to move around very much with the system in use.

The pick-up microphone lead has a cool feature on the mute end. It has a screw-down fastener around the plug, allowing you to secure the pick-up lead to the mute... ensuring it won't come undone. Although it makes sense - I don't think it's entirely necessary. But a nice feature, nonetheless.

The sound through the SB-9 Personal Studio kinda sucked. Not being a fan of earbud speakers, I chose to use my own ultralights. Initially, it had very little sound output from the headphones... but then I realized my headphones have a volume control of their own, and it was on low. Cranked it up and: OK - much better - now I can at least hear myself playing. Although, it sounds a little weird. Most definitely not the rich, mellow tones you're used to hearing from your horn - but rather, just the tone of the notes and whatever air that slips while you're tongueing is greatly amplified - it may actually help someone smooth out their transitions a little hearing everything that goes on between notes. But it's nothing you can't get adapted to. We're just using this thing for practicing, of course. I definitely would not recommend using this device as an amplified output for your horn - what comes out of the speakers will suck on so many levels... without tons of sound processing, that is. Although, it might be fun to run it through a distortion pedal or some cool synthesizer pedals that most guitarist use. Hmmmm...

The mute does offer a little resistance, which makes lower register notes effortless. I guess a little backpressure aids in blowing the lower notes or something.

I think if you can get used to playing with this mute, then your overall sound might actually improve, since you can hear everything and make effort to eliminate the undesireable effects of tongueing and whatnot.

And unfortunately as suspected, this will most definitely not work with a proper Baritone horn. I've included a couple of pictures.

The first is both of my horns: A Jupiter 470 Euphonium, and a Blessing M300 Marching Baritone. I'm not sure how close to actual bell size a Marching Bari is to a proper Baritone Horn, but I offer it up for comparison against a Euph bell.
http://www.mister4x4.net/musicstuff/horns/arsenal2.jpg

The next is Nacho with the mute installed.
http://www.mister4x4.net/musicstuff/horns/ysb2.jpg

And finally, a shot of 'Not So Wee' with the mute installed - which barely rests in the bell, and will not stay put if I were to attempt playing it. We're talking an extra 40% of the mute is exposed, and the gasket of the mute cannot be fully installed into the Marching Bari. I also had to adjust the stand narrower to fit the Marching Bari... even though it looks bigger in the stand than the Euph.
http://www.mister4x4.net/musicstuff/horns/ysb3.jpg

So there it is - works like a champ for what you need it to do, albeit a little pricey ($155-ish USD), and unfortunately will not work in a proper Baritone Horn.

Hope this helps.

Di
17.01.2006, 12:33
Very glad you're pleased with your Silent Brass.

But again, your photos are not showing? What method are you using to upload them?

Mister 4x4
17.01.2006, 13:39
Apparently, I'm having server issues at home (how very odd). I'll have it fixed this evening. Sorry about that.

Baritonedeaf
18.01.2006, 09:30
Thanks for the pics - very helpful! Cheers.

Rapier
18.01.2006, 10:36
Those instrument stands are quite smart, too.

Baritonedeaf
18.01.2006, 11:04
http://www.k-m.de/D/Katalog/anzeige/produkte.asp?ID=238&spr=DE

Can be picked up from most music suppliers if you order them...

I use the Tenorhornstander for my Baritone - superb.

Baritonedeaf
18.01.2006, 11:08
http://www.k-m.de/D/Katalog/instrument/2index.asp?spr=EN

IN English!

Bit more helpful... nice case for the stands in there too...

Rapier
18.01.2006, 11:50
Thanks, not seen those before. Is the bell protected or does the horn just dangle from the top hook?

Rapier
18.01.2006, 16:02
You don't need to answer that. I now own one. :D Just passed my nearest music shop, after dropping my wife off at the station and low and behold, they had one; which now belongs to me. :D

Baritonedeaf
18.01.2006, 16:59
That hook is for the mouth pipe - so they sort of sit at an angle - well thats how i have always done it anyway!

Nice purchase :)

Baritonedeaf
18.01.2006, 18:27
Have a look at my Baritone Stand and the position of how to put it on for Rapier...

Its great!

Rapier
18.01.2006, 23:43
I see. The lead pipe on a Tenor Horn is not as big, so it fits the stand better if I have the instrument the same way as yours , but move it upright and then hook the centre pipe (the thick tube behind the valves as in your picture) over the hook support.

Mister 4x4
19.01.2006, 04:26
I believe I like that stand better than mine. There's a brace that tends to get hooked on Nacho that El Cheapo didn't have.

Baritonedeaf
19.01.2006, 07:20
Hmm - do you have a sovereign? Have always worried about scratching/denting the valve block if i didi that - i think that if you had a Bari like Mr 4x4 then you would put it vertical with the top pipe in the hook (how i believe it was designed) but that is how i alwya do it anyway...
You can pick it up qucikly and easily without risk of damage to the instrument.

Norwegianbaritone
04.02.2006, 23:40
So we've determined that the Euph mute doesn't work, but what about something that does. My baritone is a Besson Sovereign. Any ideas?

My baritone are also a Besson Sovereign.. (4-valves)
I bought a silent brass system for trombone andBass trombone, that works!!

Baritonedeaf
04.02.2006, 23:48
Nice one - do you have the model number please?

Norwegianbaritone
05.02.2006, 19:57
Nice one - do you have the model number please?

Of the silent brass system? its SB5-9
and the mute has got the number PM5

Baritonedeaf
05.02.2006, 20:31
Thanks!

:D