PDA

View Full Version : WoE 2nd Section Venue

IanHeard
03.01.2006, 16:49
I have just heard on the grapevine that it is the second section`s "turn" to endure the dodgy acoustic of the glorified sports hall, next to the main hall at the Riviera Centre at the forthcoming West of England Area Contest.
A decision a tad surprising after last years controversy re. the fourth section,where the acoustic in my opinion encouraged a rather "eccentric adjudication", which in turn led to a lot of ill feeling from some of the competing bands, who were wrongfully accused of cheating by the adjudicator.
I only hope that the Area Commitee`s decision to use this hall again does not come back to haunt them.
I.H.
Tavistock.
Devon.

SteveT
03.01.2006, 21:34
I have been invited to adjudicate at the 2007 WOE Areas ... Following earlier comment, could someone please give me some subjective comment on the accoustics of the Riviera Centre!?

Many thanks.

Rapier
04.01.2006, 10:33
Well the main hall is not too bad but makes bands sound a bit wooly. However the sports hall is awful!! Like playing in a swimming baths. I had the misfortune to have to play in the 4th section there and I said afterwards I'll never attend a contest that intends to use that hall!

If anyone can confirm whether the 4th will be subjected to that venue, as well. It would be appreciated, it'll give me plenty of time to tell my 'contest' band that I'm not available.

IanHeard
04.01.2006, 16:16
If anyone can confirm whether the 4th will be subjected to that venue, as well. It would be appreciated, it'll give me plenty of time to tell my 'contest' band that I'm not available.

I think the 4th section are spared it this year, just the one section are competing there I believe.
As regards the hall itself I have never played in there, but I have sat and listened to bands in the past and awful sums it up..very loud and splodgy...best of luck Mr Adjudicator!

meandmycornet
04.01.2006, 17:18
I think thats very bad! I mean its bad enough that the fourth section had to play in there, but the 2nd section????? what will they do next? put the championship section in there?

It really is awful in there, all I could here was the odd muffled sound of the trombones :tongue:

However the main stage is much better, and its nice to play on aswell! I've never played in the roller blading hall (thankgod!) so I don't know what its like too play in there, probably just as bad as when you listen in there though!

Did you know they use that hall for the dressing rooms/tradestands at the SWBBA contest! Its perfect for that :tongue: nice and big and spacious!

dyl
04.01.2006, 17:21
I think thats very bad! I mean its bad enough that the fourth section had to play in there, but the 2nd section????? what will they do next? put the championship section in there?

Sorry Fi - but I don't agree with that comment at all. If the hall's bad then it's bad for all sections - irrespective of what section it is. There should be no difference which section has to play in there. Why should the lower sections have to put up with it if the higher sections don't have to? At least it looks like the sections are being rotated.

persins
04.01.2006, 18:35
Why should the lower sections have to put up with it if the higher sections don't have to? At least it looks like the sections are being rotated.

I agree Dyl but at the risk of being hypocrytical, I would hate it if the Champ section was to be put in there.

Last year, that hall was used as the dressing room / warm up area for Championship section as there was nothing else going on in there. To be fair, the hall is only used when the sections overlap and there is, I believe, an intention to try and get most things in the Main Hall.
I have played at the Riviera Centre soo many times, and I don't particularly like either of the rooms.
The venues always used to be rotated between Colston Hall, Bristol and Riviera Centre and that was much better. I fail to see why the SWBBA cannot bring back this type of scenario?! Why not move the contest round the region since that would then even out the travel costs for some of the bands that are furthest away from Torquay as well as potentially exposing a wider population to the fact that things like this actually exist!

DaveR
04.01.2006, 18:44
Why should the lower sections have to put up with it if the higher sections don't have to? At least it looks like the sections are being rotated.

If the hall is that bad, then nobody should have to use it. That said, out of all levels of banding, the Championship section should be the one where the players are best able to cope with the poorer accoustics because they are generally more experienced and a better class of player (OK, I know that is a sweeping generalisation, but you know what I mean!). A poor accoustic isn't easy for anybody to play in, but I think it is comparatively much harder for a lower section band to play well in a bad one than it would be for a higher section band.

IanHeard
04.01.2006, 20:36
I agree Dyl but at the risk of being hypocrytical, I would hate it if the Champ section was to be put in there.

You can rest assured that the rotation will not include the Championship section as they would not put up with it!
I really miss the Colston Hall as it knocked the present hall(s) into a cocked hat as regards acoustic.
BTW it`s the West of England Regional Commitee who are responsible for the arrangements not the SWBBA, although they are represented on the commitee.

persins
06.01.2006, 17:19
BTW it`s the West of England Regional Commitee who are responsible for the arrangements not the SWBBA, although they are represented on the commitee.
Yeah, I realised that after I'd posted it but couldn't be bothered to change it! Good spot though!

Sop_Or_Bass?
07.01.2006, 00:11
I did ask this question to Brian Buckley earlier this year, as I had the misfortune to play in "that hall" last WoE. It was especially pertinent to me that the 4th section were criticised for not adjusting to the problems in the hall when they were the least likely section to be able to.

Good luck to the second section.

Shame anyone has to play in there - should remain a dressing room!

iggmeister
07.01.2006, 13:55
The venues always used to be rotated between Colston Hall, Bristol and Riviera Centre and that was much better. I fail to see why the SWBBA cannot bring back this type of scenario?! Why not move the contest round the region since that would then even out the travel costs for some of the bands that are furthest away from Torquay as well as potentially exposing a wider population to the fact that things like this actually exist!

I had some minutes of local BB association which regularly has a report from the West of England Council. In those minutes, it stated that the Riviera centre has been booked until 2010!

As for moving around, the County with the greatest representation in all sections of West of England must be/ is Cornwall. I vote to hold it down here every other year. Perhaps I'm biased. Problem is, Cornwall doesn't really have a suitable venue for all sections, even over 2 days.

I am not a fan of the Riviera Centre. The (school) hall which some of the lower sections have had to endure is not appropriate for a regional qualifier for any section. The Forum (main hall) is better but that is not to say thst it is realy that good. The Forum is quite dead and a lot of the bass end gets lost. Its more rewarding to listen in the audience than to play on stage, and then the closer you get to the stage the better. Its a hot stage as well, especally as the day goes on.

I too prefer the Colston Hall but it wont be back there soon. I understand that the the comparative cost of hiring each is what has prompted the West to book up the Riviera until 2010.

Igg

Chris Hicks
07.01.2006, 18:20
I saw or heard cant remember which one that they were thinking of holding the contest over two and a 1/2 days. So the 4th sec would be friday afternoon/evening 3rd and 2nd sat and 1st and champ sunday therefore everybody would miss out on the hall.

IanHeard
07.01.2006, 20:44
I had some minutes of local BB association which regularly has a report from the West of England Council. In those minutes, it stated that the Riviera centre has been booked until 2010!

As for moving around, the County with the greatest representation in all sections of West of England must be/ is Cornwall. I vote to hold it down here every other year. Perhaps I'm biased. Problem is, Cornwall doesn't really have a suitable venue for all sections, even over 2 days.

I find it strange that the Area Commitee would commit us to a venue that is patently unsuitable and is clearly is beginning to irk the people who make the day possible, ie the Bandspeople!
Clearly the Riviera Centre ticks a lot of the commitee`s boxes in some respects but in the most important one it fails miserably.

Igg,
You would`nt want the rest of our region the pleasure of experiencing the Duchy`s dreadful road network every other year..would you?
And besides think of those raucous coach journeys when you come home with the trophies that the Cornish bands would no longer have!
I.H.

Rapier
07.01.2006, 20:49
I saw or heard cant remember which one that they were thinking of holding the contest over two and a 1/2 days. So the 4th sec would be friday afternoon/evening 3rd and 2nd sat and 1st and champ sunday therefore everybody would miss out on the hall.

Well that would cut out a lot of the 4th. section then. Not many people can take a day off, just for a contest.

Cornishwomble
08.01.2006, 14:17

That might work in an area like Yorkshire where bands haven't got that far to travel but if a band in the deepest part of Cornwall like St Keverne or a band at the far east of the Area like Solent Concert would have difficulties in travelling to get to the contest for a Friday night

persins
08.01.2006, 19:14
Yeah, I doubt that would work in the west!
An interesting suggestion though

vcbjet
12.01.2006, 00:32
I have played in both halls at the Riveria Centre and neither are brilliant and neither are completely awful.

The Arena (the hall in question) has been where the 4th Section has been held for about 5 years and to be honest we can all moan and groan about the hall but that isnt going to win a contest. If the band is fully prepared and ready then the hall they are playing in should not matter, at the end of the day the music is still exactly the same!

To be honest it makes me laugh to hear us all moaning about hall acoustics, we are not pros so why should we be treated to world class venues. Also halls cost a lot of money and luckily for the West of England, Torquay has two that make it able to host all sections in an overall great centre in one weekend. Torquay is easily accessible for all parts of the reigon - it also has great hotels for bands to stay in - unlike say Bradford, Stevenage or Harrogate (which has hardly any hotels!).

As we can see on here most players in the lower sections have played in the Arena and hence should know what to expect - which is surely better that not knowing at all!

And for the record 4th Section are in the main hall this year along with all the other sectiona apart from 2nd,

Rapier
12.01.2006, 09:56
Have to disagree. The acoustics in the Arena mean that no matter how well any band plays the sound is lost. How is any adjudicator supposed to pick the best band when he can't actually hear the parts clearly? It makes a mockery of all the practice and hard work put in by bands for this contest and makes the result more of a lottery than usual! I pity the 2nd section bands, but NO section should have to play in there.

meandmycornet
12.01.2006, 09:56
Well that would cut out a lot of the 4th. section then. Not many people can take a day off, just for a contest.

Exactly, although me and quite a few members of my band have to take the day off to go to the contest on the saturday!

and Dyl I wasn't saying that it should just be 4th section that play in the rollerblading hall, I don't think anyone should be made to play in there! I don't understand why they need to use the hall to be honest, they only ever hold one section in there, so couldn't they just like start a bit earlier on one of the days and accomodate that section in the main hall? They used to hold the whole contest down the road at the Princess Theatre and they only had one hall then, and shouldn't think there's hugely more bands than there was then!

persins
13.01.2006, 21:50
True but Fi, remember that in the last few years there have been over 20 bands in the forth section. It takes nearly the whole day to just have that section!! Hence the need to run it at the same time as some of the others.

Rapier
14.01.2006, 10:29
So does anyone know, for a fact, that the 4th section and Championship are ALL playing on the 19th in the one hall?
It will help me decide if I should contest or not.

BigHorn
14.01.2006, 11:07
I don't know this venue and its accoustics at all, but having played the 2nd section piece a few times now, I suspect that the hall accoustics are not going to have a material effect on the outcoome. Its a level playing field and any band that can get through this piece relatively unscathed will shine out from the others despite any dodgy hall they are playing in. Its gonna be really messy in the 2nd section at this years areas.

GingerMaestro
02.02.2006, 14:36
If the band is fully prepared and ready then the hall they are playing in should not matter, at the end of the day the music is still exactly the same!

What a load of rubbish
The only way you can prepare for a venue like that is to either visit and play in the venue pre contest which is very unlikely for bands to do or find another hall with similar accoustics in your area which means more cost to add to the already costly aomount that bands have to fork out to get to the contest in the first place.

The other venue is much like most bands practice rooms if they are setup accoustically or like your average school hall so preparation for that venue is much easier to adapt to

Sop_Or_Bass?
02.02.2006, 19:03
Nice spelling of Police, Martin!

All the best with your new band.

IanHeard
03.02.2006, 16:55
I don't know this venue and its accoustics at all, but having played the 2nd section piece a few times now, I suspect that the hall accoustics are not going to have a material effect on the outcoome. Its a level playing field and any band that can get through this piece relatively unscathed will shine out from the others despite any dodgy hall they are playing in. Its gonna be really messy in the 2nd section at this years areas.

I think with the acoustic in question, the problem will be that it will act as a great equaliser, and the better quality bands might not be as easily identifiable to the adjudicator as they should be.
All bands whatever section deserve to judged in the "truest" acoustic available.
It should not be part of the test that bands battle with a dodgy acoustic as well as a tricky testpiece.

persins
05.02.2006, 22:52
I've just been looking at the line ups for thw WoE Regionals this year and once again there are well over 20 bands in the 4th Section.

An interesting one is that the Championship section will not start before 4.30pm.
That's going to make it a late one!! Lots of sleepy people going to work on Monday morning I'd guess. I'm now thinking that I've made a wise decision taking the monday off!!

Kiz7
06.02.2006, 01:14
On my reckoning 4.30 is quite an ambitious start time - 27 bands playing a 10 minute test piece with 5 minutes set up time means at best four bands per hour, so at least 6 hours playing time. Then two comfort breaks of around 20 - 30 minutes at least (1 hour give or take) for the adjuicator's which totals 7 hours. Kick off is at 9.00 so that means that on this basis the section won't finish until 4.00 at least. Best hope that the adjudicators don't want to talk too much and that the committee can fudge the reults quickly, otherwise the top section will be late starting!

Wasn't it Torquay that had that other horrendously late finish a few years ago? Top section - bring your own beer and food (and maybe a sleeping bag!)