PDA

View Full Version : Promotion/Demotion tables for Regionals

stopher
29.12.2005, 13:13
I know that this has been posted before for a few years ago but has anyone got any idea where you can get a copy of these apart from being in each year's regional programme.

Its the table that tells you how many points you are on to work out whether or not you are up, staying or down for the following year

Ta

Chris

DaveR
29.12.2005, 13:22
London and Southern Counties publishes it on their website. I expect that other regions do too. I don't know if there is a collated, nation-wide table though.

Cheers

DaveR

hellraiser
30.12.2005, 19:21
My understanding is that you simply add up the position of the bands from the last two years at the areas. For bands that don't turn up then they get automatic last place i.e. if six bands turn up and two bands withdraw then the two bands that don't turn up get 7 points each. This year's results will then be added to those totals.

Porthaethwy got 5th in 2004 and 4th in 2005, 5+ 4 = 9 points
Beaumaris B on 3+7 = 10 points.
Trefor on 6+6 = 12 points (& rumoured not to be attending in 2006)
Ebbw Vale on 7+7= 14 points
Harlech on 8+7 = 15 points

I'm not sure whether it's two or three bands that go down? Looks like Porthaethwy are pretty safe anyway ;)

stopher
02.01.2006, 11:30
My understanding is that you simply add up the position of the bands from the last two years at the areas. For bands that don't turn up then they get automatic last place i.e. if six bands turn up and two bands withdraw then the two bands that don't turn up get 7 points each. This year's results will then be added to those totals.

Porthaethwy got 5th in 2004 and 4th in 2005, 5+ 4 = 9 points
Beaumaris B on 3+7 = 10 points.
Trefor on 6+6 = 12 points (& rumoured not to be attending in 2006)
Ebbw Vale on 7+7= 14 points
Harlech on 8+7 = 15 points

I'm not sure whether it's two or three bands that go down? Looks like Porthaethwy are pretty safe anyway ;)

Cheers Rhodri

Just wondering who had been promoted/demoted and to also see how many bands are in the 3rd section as quite s few have not competed over the last couple of years.

Strange to see that only a few regional committees have websites and actually publish this - surprised that TMP or 4BR have not published these yet - an idea for the mods perhaps?

hellraiser
02.01.2006, 15:28
Yes it would be useful to have this kind of thing made clear to everyone in advance.

meandmycornet
02.01.2006, 17:06
London and Southern Counties publishes it on their website. I expect that other regions do too. I don't know if there is a collated, nation-wide table though.

Cheers

DaveR

West of England BBA doesn't even have a website! :tongue: I think some clever person should do all the maths and put it somewhere on tMP or 4BR! and then it could be kept uptodate more easily then!

DaveR
02.01.2006, 18:52
West of England BBA doesn't even have a website! :tongue: I think some clever person should do all the maths and put it somewhere on tMP or 4BR! and then it could be kept uptodate more easily then!

Well volunteered Fi! :clap: :tongue:

lausonbass
03.01.2006, 00:20

i agree it would make sense to have everyones for the whole country in the same place. it would make sense to be on 4BR, they cover all the contests show it wouldn't be that hard.

the whole thing just confuses me!!:confused:

iggmeister
03.01.2006, 00:47
I know that this has been posted before for a few years ago but has anyone got any idea where you can get a copy of these apart from being in each year's regional programme.

Its the table that tells you how many points you are on to work out whether or not you are up, staying or down for the following year

Ta

Chris

As secretary of my band, I know that I get a copy from our area secretary (West of England). Check with your secretary.

Igg

meandmycornet
04.01.2006, 16:19
Well volunteered Fi! :clap: :tongue:

If you give me all the stats and how to calculate it all.... I will.... try! :tongue:

persins
04.01.2006, 17:40
Doh!!! Looks like you've given yourself a right mission there!
4br result archive perhaps plus contact every regions' secretaries to get lists of competing bands and those that didn't!!
See you in 2008 then?!!
Actually, more like the Riviera Centre bar on weekend of 18-19th March?!

PHA161
11.01.2006, 18:02
London and Southern Counties publishes it on their website.Cheers DaveR

Makes a change for L & SC to lead the way !!

The_Eighth_Dwarf
06.02.2006, 15:28
If you give me all the stats and how to calculate it all.... I will.... try! :tongue:

being slightly sad, I have a spreadsheet for the south west going back to 2000 if anyone want s it pm me and I'll email it.

I thinks it about 98% accurate back to 2000

Accidental
06.02.2006, 21:29
Makes a change for L & SC to lead the way !!

I'm guessing you haven't been to many contests run by other people then? I have, and noone does it better than the Scaba & LSC people imho.

Back on topic.... we get the tables given out with our scores and adjudicators comments on the day, so all the LSC bands have known their gradings since last March. Seems a bit odd that the other areas don't do that too.

HBB
06.02.2006, 21:31
Ignore him Alex, he's just getting grumpy in his old age :p

Andy_Euph
06.02.2006, 21:46
http://www.er.band.btinternet.co.uk/nebbc/main.htm

Upgraded Northern tables can be found here

PHA161
07.02.2006, 08:31
I'm guessing you haven't been to many contests run by other people then? I have........................
You are absolutely right, you must have been talking to HBB !

PHA161
07.02.2006, 10:35
I'm guessing you haven't been to many contests run by other people then? I have, and noone does it better than the Scaba & LSC people imho.

With all your experience can you explain the follow ~ when a band is demoted nationally from first section to second by L&SC, why does SCABA not follow suit ?
The situation now arises that the band competes with all second section bands at the area, only to then compete with first section bands at SCABA contests, I have also heard that because of possible low entries, they amalgamate the first and championship sections together ~ which then makes the whole situation a farce !

stevetrom
07.02.2006, 11:06
Is there anyone on tMp with connection to the Midlands regional committee?

We used to have a table (official I think) posted in the bandroom showing the regional standings for our section, is this still sent out to bands?

We have changed band secretary so it could be them just being lazy!

Di
07.02.2006, 12:11
I have posted an unofficial set of tables (unfortunately I seem to have misplaced my calculations on the 4th section :mad: ) here. (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showpost.php?p=324822&postcount=4)

Accidental
07.02.2006, 12:50
With all your experience can you explain the follow ~ when a band is demoted nationally from first section to second by L&SC, why does SCABA not follow suit ?
Theres good reason for this, and SCABA is by no means the only association that does it. Its been discussed a few times on tMP... try here: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4500

I have also heard that because of possible low entries, they amalgamate the first and championship sections together ~ which then makes the whole situation a farce ! I don't think thats ever happened - the top section has been cancelled because of lack of entries though. If you're not happy with something the association is doing, you could always go along to a quarterly meeting....

(Sorry to hijack the topic mods ;) )

PHA161
09.02.2006, 16:21
I'm guessing you haven't been to many contests run by other people then?

Perhaps I should refer you to the following link:

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18247&page=2

AlanD
16.02.2006, 23:44
The scottish set of tables are set out very nice and neatly

http://www.sbba.org.uk/gradings.php

just incase anyones interested on wat goes on up here lol

meandmycornet
21.02.2006, 23:34
so how exactly do you work out what score each band has? :| if i'm guna attempt to do the WoE tables.... I need to know how i've got to do it :tongue:

DaveR
22.02.2006, 00:09
I think you add the positions for the last three years. So if South Molton got 2nd place in 2005, 7th place in 2004 and 15th in 2003 (these are entirely made up figures, I haven't a clue how you did :tongue:) you add them all up together - 2+7+15=24. Do that for each band that has entered over the last three years, and put them into order. The band with the lowest score is at the top of the section, and the band with the highest score is at the bottom. There will be a promotion zone (usually two or three bands) in each section except championship, and a relegation zone in each section (again usually 2 or 3 bands) except 4th.

I think that's right - I'm sure somebody on here will put me right if I've led you astray!

I feel a bit guilty now - I was only joking when I made the suggestion!! :oops: In any case, I think your local area will already have this table worked out, it is a national collation of all the areas that doesn't seem to exist. I did read a letter (maybe as a result of this thread?) on 4BR suggesting that this be created and they said they would look into it. Don't know how far they got on though....

Dave

Charmed
22.02.2006, 06:56
so how exactly do you work out what score each band has? :| if i'm guna attempt to do the WoE tables.... I need to know how i've got to do it :tongue:

Add 2004 and 2005 Area result of a band together, then add the result of this years contest to this total. That's what the band will be on after the area.

Don't know about other areas, but in Yorkshire, the programme has the points of what each band is entering the current area contest on.

Growler
23.02.2006, 23:23
How do bands that were promoted or relegated in the last two years work theirs out? It doesnt apply to my band but it gives you the bigger picture on what the band has to do to survive/ get promoted, its all very confusing!!!!:confused: :confused: For anyone whos intrested Ive collated all the WofE results in an excel spreadsheet, I just dont know what to do with it!!!

Charmed
24.02.2006, 06:38
How do bands that were promoted or relegated in the last two years work theirs out? It doesnt apply to my band but it gives you the bigger picture on what the band has to do to survive/ get promoted, its all very confusing!!!!:confused: :confused: For anyone whos intrested Ive collated all the WofE results in an excel spreadsheet, I just dont know what to do with it!!!

They are given an average point of how many bands played in that section in that particular year (I believe). Eg, 2004, 14 bands = 7 points. 2005, 16 Bands = 8 points. Therefore their starting points for 2006 will be 15 points.

meandmycornet
25.02.2006, 17:12
Ok.... I've just started trying to work out the 3rd section WoE table.... what score does a band get if they don't enter in one of the three years? :|

and what do you do when a band was in the section below one year.... and there was an odd number in the section they are in now? :tongue: do they do half points?

and what about new bands that have gone straight into the third section? how do we work them out? do they just get the average score aswell?

Jughead
25.02.2006, 18:51
Ok.... I've just started trying to work out the 3rd section WoE table.... what score does a band get if they don't enter in one of the three years? :|

and what do you do when a band was in the section below one year.... and there was an odd number in the section they are in now? :tongue: do they do half points?

and what about new bands that have gone straight into the third section? how do we work them out? do they just get the average score aswell? Last !!!

Accidental
25.02.2006, 19:30
All the regional committees must have current grading tables, and your band secretaries will have contact details for them - isn't it just easier to ask? :-?

Charmed
25.02.2006, 23:47

The last points, ie, 14 bands competed, they get 15 points

Yes, 15 bands competed in that section, they get 7.5 points

and what about new bands that have gone straight into the third section? how do we work them out? do they just get the average score aswell?

Yes, they get the average score for the last two years.

Hope that answers your questions. Just to clarify, bands will start this years area contest with the last two years points, and not the last three years.

meandmycornet
26.02.2006, 14:48
thanks susan :D I know that bands will be starting with the last two years results.... I just wanted to see where abouts we are in the table at the moment :D

meandmycornet
26.02.2006, 18:00
Ok people.... I have now finished the tables for the West of England Area... PM if your intersted... anybody got a strong preference for which area I tackle next? :tongue:

bumperman
26.02.2006, 18:03
Ok people.... I have now finished the tables for the West of England Area... PM if your intersted... anybody got a strong preference for which area I tackle next? :tongue:

Yorkshire please:tup

meandmycornet
26.02.2006, 18:55
Ok.... coming up.... in about 4 hours :tongue:

bumperman
26.02.2006, 19:05
Ok.... coming up.... in about 4 hours :tongue:

Sound as a pound:clap:

Aardvark
26.02.2006, 19:14
I keep an updated version of the L&SC tables (last 2 years scores plus entries and non entries for this year) if anyone is interested in a look let me know.

The_Eighth_Dwarf
28.02.2006, 11:06
.......and what about new bands that have gone straight into the third section? how do we work them out? do they just get the average score aswell?

With this question I am guessing you are refering to Denmead Brass? If so they were formerly know as Cosham Concert Brass and as such would carry their points.
Cosham concert 2003 - 14th
Cosham concert 2004 - 10th
Denmead Brass 2005 - 6th

meandmycornet
28.02.2006, 18:10
With this question I am guessing you are refering to Denmead Brass? If so they were formerly know as Cosham Concert Brass and as such would carry their points.
Cosham concert 2003 - 14th
Cosham concert 2004 - 10th
Denmead Brass 2005 - 6th

Oh thank you mr/mrs dwarf... I shall go and correct the table straight away!

Mr Bumperman.... I am going to have to redo the Yorkshire tables as I did them on my nana's laptop and not only did I not send them to myself.... it wasn't excel on her PC :confused: so I'll have them for you ASAP! :D