PDA

View Full Version : The tMP Band at Pontins 2005

dyl
30.10.2005, 00:19
tMP Provide Triple Tonic for Brass Band Aid!

Over the course of the 2005 Pontins Festival, members and supporters of the internet brass forum, theMouthPiece.com held their own unique fundraising activities.

Following the huge success of the tMP 'scratch band' at the Pontins Festival in 2004, an invitation was extended for the band to appear once more at this year's event - with a view to giving two concert performances over the course of the weekend. With tMP having been long-term supporters of the Brass Band Aid initiative, the management team at felt this could be an excellent opportunity for the tMP Band to be able to raise some much-needed funds for the project. Thankfully, kind permission was promptly received from the Pontins Brass Band Committee, and the hard work was underway to get a full band for the weekend.

What happened next was a complete shock to everyone involved with tMP! The turn-out for the band was much bigger than anyone could have imagined! On the Saturday night, the tMP Band consisted of 55 members, between them representing well over 20 different bands - ranging from the very top bands in the world to some of the country's youngest 4th Section outfits! The crowd were treated to a fun-filled, toe-tapping hour's music from the tMP Band, under the baton of the BAYV tuba star Gavin Saynor, who agreed to help out the band only a few hours prior to the performance, due to the unforeseen circumstance of the band's regular MD, Roger Thorne, being unable to attend due to work commitments.

The tMP Band then returned on the Sunday for a shorter performance just before the Championship Section results were announced, this time under the baton of tMP founder and owner, John Burns.

During both performances a collection was made towards BBA.

However, donations weren't just collected while the band were playing! In a prime example of the fun-loving and friendly nature of tMP, a request was made early on by a couple of the sites members, Vicki Reynolds and Fiona Loftus for the band to play Roger Thorne's arrangement of Zulu, both were challenged to raise 100 towards BBA by performing an hour's sponsored silence during the Pontins weekend - something which was considered at the time to be a bit of a challenge for the forum's most 'chatty' members! A thread of 'pledges' was started on the site, and the members of tMP pledged over 150 towards the cause - an amount that was boosted to just over 200 on the day!

So, in all, three separate collections were arranged by tMP over the weekend, and a total of just over 500 was collected towards the funds of Brass Band Aid - an amount which everyone at tMP are sure will be put to excellent use.

tMP wishes to thanks the following for their support over the weekend:
Frank Hodges and the Pontins Brass Band Committee
Gavin Saynor
Will Elsom
Vicki & Fiona
..................and every single one of its members and supporters who contributed to such an amazing weekend in the successful life of theMouthPiece.com!

---------------------------------------------

Just got back after leaving most of the tMP Band at the bar at Pontins - they were just starting what I suspect is going to be a long evening for them!

Tonight's gig was great, with a collection made for Brass Band Aid - and yes - Vicki and Fi did manage to stay silent for a whole hour this afternoon!

There will be more detailed posts about the tMP events at Prestatyn in due course, but in the meantime a huge thank you to Gavin Saynor of BAYV for stepping in last minute to conduct, due to Roger being unable to attend due to work committments, and our original replacement having to withdraw his services. Like Will said during his compering, it was so last minute, Gavin didn't have time to change clothes!! Gavin was asked to conduct literally 5 minutes before we were due to start our rehearsal at 3.30pm! We were very greatful, and glad that he said 'yes'! Cheers Gav!

Anyway, as it's getting close to Halloween, I thought I'd leave with a photo I took on my phone before I left - any ideas as to who this young 'lady' might be?

Edited to include Press Announcement.

WoodenFlugel
30.10.2005, 00:46
Anyway, as it's getting close to Halloween, I thought I'd leave with a photo I took on my phone before I left - any ideas as to who this young 'lady' might be?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's horrible -even worse than last year. Dyl I can only hope that this year he didn't fall over and flash his knickers. :eek:

dyl
30.10.2005, 00:48
Dyl I can only hope that this year he didn't fall over and flash his knickers. :eek:

No - you'll be glad to hear that he didn't flash his knickers.

He did flash his thong though. :oops:

WoodenFlugel
30.10.2005, 00:49
*vomits* :eek:

super_sop
30.10.2005, 19:46
*smiles*

dentondiva
30.10.2005, 20:00
thanks i had great fun playing saturday night i was so fed up when i had to go home sunday morning and couldnt play

rutty
30.10.2005, 20:25
Just got home. No need to see the pic of the blonde "lady" as I had too good a view of it last night, the little minx ;)

I've had a brilliant weekend and really enjoyed meeting all those tMPers that were there. The band sounded great from where I was sat - congrats to all on a fantastic event :)

I shall be there again next year for sure :cool:

WoodenFlugel
30.10.2005, 22:09
Just got home. No need to see the pic of the blonde "lady" as I had too good a view of it last night, the little minx ;)

Blimey mate those beer goggles must have been strong last night :p ;)

rutty
30.10.2005, 22:34
How could you say no to this:

http://www.davidrutt.me.uk/archives/craig.jpg

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :cool:

I know, I need help. But he/she did have a nice rack:

http://www.davidrutt.me.uk/archives/craig2.jpg

Plus there were some later improvements in the sartorial department once a certain lady give him/her some tips:

http://www.davidrutt.me.uk/archives/craig4.jpg

Di
30.10.2005, 23:40
Didn't she look lovely. :biggrin::clap:

vonny
31.10.2005, 11:37
Pretty please can i play with the tmp band again?

Yvonne x

TheMusicMan
31.10.2005, 13:21
Pretty please can i play with the tmp band again?

Yvonne xOf course.... ;):)

vonny
31.10.2005, 13:23
Of course.... ;):)

Hey and john do i get a special suprise because i played at such short notice - i'm open to offers ;) :)

Di
31.10.2005, 13:23
thanks i had great fun playing saturday night i was so fed up when i had to go home sunday morning and couldnt play

Hi there. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Didn't we tell you you would. ;) You're more than welcome anytime in the tMP band.

TheMusicMan
31.10.2005, 13:26
Hey and john do i get a special suprise because i played at such short notice - i'm open to offers ;) :)What... a special suprise when I'm apparantly (and I quote)... "not worth a bar of chocolate!!" - phah!:biggrin:

vonny
31.10.2005, 13:32
What... a special suprise when I'm apparantly (and I quote)... "not worth a bar of chocolate!!" - phah!:biggrin:

ohhhhhhhhhh i did say that :oops:

Sorry john :)

Chunky
31.10.2005, 13:42
What... a special suprise when I'm apparantly (and I quote)... "not worth a bar of chocolate!!" - phah!:biggrin:

Did she really say that about you John. Wonder what she says about me then :biggrin:

TheMusicMan
31.10.2005, 13:49
She most certainly did Ian... and gutted I was... totally gutted... never felt so undervalued in my entire life...:(

Neil Glynn
31.10.2005, 13:50
She most certainly did Ian... and gutted I was... totally gutted... never felt so undervalued in my entire life...:(

Don't worry John, the rest of us know you're worth it!!! :biggrin:

vonny
31.10.2005, 13:52

Oh dear i think the 'viola's' will have to come out - as they have a much fuller sound than the violins

john ;) ;)

Chunky
31.10.2005, 13:55

John leave this to me. Trust me I know how to handle her ;)

TheMusicMan
31.10.2005, 13:59
Thanks Ian... I am simply way too upset to respond more fully...

Chunky
31.10.2005, 14:04
Thanks Ian... I am simply way too upset to respond more fully...

Understood John, I know I should have been there and I feel bad for not being there and letting people down.

Curiosity_Kills
31.10.2005, 14:05
Don't worry John, the rest of us know you're worth it!!! :biggrin:

I agree, although with the state i was in on sunday following the conductor was added hassle .... hehe

But no, i did notice John wanting more bass trombone at the end of deep harmony ... or was it less bass trombone

and by the time we finished do-re-mi the accel. had got the better of me

Still ... one of the most entertaining concerts i've done in a long while

Pontins 2006 sign-up

Name: Rob Newton/Curiosity_kills

etc ...

Will the Sec
31.10.2005, 17:35
Wow. What a weekend...

Aside from the camaraderie, the excellent efforts of the players, the kindness of Gavin Saynor, and the Alcohol poisoning of some people on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.....

With Vicki and Fiona's sponsored scowl... I mean silence(!), sponsored taunting - not popular with Vicki and Fiona... sorry ladies... the spaghetti gunging of the bouncy one, and bullying people in the audiences to collect for us....

We raised just over 500 for Brass Band Aid.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed.

super_sop
31.10.2005, 17:39
Fantastic news will!!!
well done everybody:tup

Di
31.10.2005, 17:46
Thanks Will. Well, I've have my socks and shoes off to help with the counting and have come up with the grand figure of 519.07. :clap::clap:

Steve
31.10.2005, 21:01
Thats superb news, so proud to be able to put my name to the tMp event that they coincided a contest with.

HBB
31.10.2005, 21:51
Well done everyone!! :D:D What an amount!

dyl
31.10.2005, 22:31
A quick request here folks! Having just spent a good few minutes merging and moving threads because we seemed to have been swamped with loads of different Pontins stuff, can we please ask that you use this thread for any discussion about the tMP Band at Pontins 2005..

Any thoughts and comments on the weekend's contesting can go on this thread: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16656

and please use this thread for any general, random, stuff about Pontins 2005: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17319

This way it'll be easier for us all to keep track of things!

Thanks!

sevenhelz
31.10.2005, 23:27
wahey! an ace result for brass band aid!
craig sweetie, i'm so sorry to have not been out dancing with you on saturday - i blame myself, saving my energy for the tMP concert the next day.

oh and that contest thingy too

hehe anyway i'll say it again it was lovely meeting you all, had a barrel of laughs and let's do it again soon!
xx

tam-tam2
01.11.2005, 00:39
I'm sorry I didn't make it to play with the tMP band on Saturday night. I came to the rehearsal and I think I sat 6th 3rd cornet....shows the power of the the tMP!! I thought Lisa and esiuol were doing a fab job on 3rd so DaveRedhead tried to find a sop for me instead. Dave did a good job in finding one, but have to use the forum to apologise to him in not playing it, sorry Dave, I left you on your own. I did, however, come to listen to the concert, it was certainly a change to listening to Lorenzo. Well done to EVERYONE who played on a great turn out and raising so much money for good causes, bravo all.:tup :tup :tup :tup :clap: :clap: :oops:

Lisa
01.11.2005, 10:44
I thought Lisa and esiuol were doing a fab job on 3rd....

I can't believe you deserted us! We simply fell apart without you there playing too! :(:(:(

meandmycornet
01.11.2005, 15:24
WOW!!! :D:D:D we raised that much??? thats fantastic! :D:D:D do you think me and vic will make the front cover of the bandsman? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

dyl
01.11.2005, 15:40
do you think me and vic will make the front cover of the bandsman? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Depends if they actually want to sell any copies or not! :p

For your information, details of the tMP Band's fundraising at Pontins have been sent to the Bandsman (via Bob Thompson), 4BR (story's on there already), the Brass Herald and Brass Band World. So you never know, you might yet get a chance to become famous outside of tMP!

DaveR
01.11.2005, 17:01
Yes, Fi and Vicki get a mention in dispatches:

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=1900

PeterBale
01.11.2005, 17:21
Yes, Fi and Vicki get a mention in dispatches:

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=1900
That's only one step down from a medal, isn't it?

Bob Thompson
01.11.2005, 23:24
If Fi and Vicki get in touch I will present them with BBA medals which are on order as we speak!

:o)
Bob T
www.brassbandaid.com

Bob Thompson
01.11.2005, 23:24
Exactly who are, Vicki and Fi !

:o)

meandmycornet
02.11.2005, 12:39
Me me me its me!! Well I'm Fi anyway! :tongue: Vicki is Vickitorious! Did you hear that Vic?? We're guna get a medal!!!! :D:D:D:D

vonny
02.11.2005, 12:44
Me me me its me!! Well I'm Fi anyway! :tongue: Vicki is Vickitorious! Did you hear that Vic?? We're guna get a medal!!!! :D:D:D:D

Hey fi,

It was lovely to meet you on sun - i should have introduced myself properly :(

I did ask you if you was in hoover band - similar uniform, except your jacket a fancy golden trimming on the back :biggrin:

Yvonne x

meandmycornet
02.11.2005, 12:50
yeah :tongue: couldn't be much further from bolton! :tongue: thats my old old band jacket, my mum wouldn't let me take my brand new one! :tongue: our new jackets are much plainer and boring compaired too the one i was wearing on sunday! I realised that you and keely were you and keely anyway! :tongue: you look so alike!

Key2207
02.11.2005, 13:59
yeah :tongue: couldn't be much further from bolton! :tongue: thats my old old band jacket, my mum wouldn't let me take my brand new one! :tongue: our new jackets are much plainer and boring compaired too the one i was wearing on sunday! I realised that you and keely were you and keely anyway! :tongue: you look so alike!

:eek:

Don't upset me by saying that...

...:cry:

Anyway, it was lovely to meet you Fi, and i'll probz see you again at another tMP event and at Pontins next year:woo