PDA

View Full Version : Black Dyke Mills Band 150 Years Book

ian perks
20.09.2005, 17:10
Who as brought the Black Dyke Mills 150 Years book by Roy Newsome?
What do you think of it and would you tell others to go out and buy it?

I think its a BRILLIANT BOOK and is well worth telling other Brass Band players about and also people who like reading History as well.
Brought it on Saturday and already 3/4 of the way through it:tup

DublinBass
08.11.2005, 13:00
My wfe and I just got it this past weekend and have had a chance but to skim through it.

Although I look forward to reading it in more detail, I've already noticed a mistake.

On page 205 the picture is incorrectly captioned. The Massed Band is Black Dyke, Woolston Brass NZ (not Dalewool Auckland) and the Brass Band of Columbus (I only know because I still have the same picture up in my living room).

PeterBale
08.11.2005, 13:43
I found it mostly very interesting, with some good insights to the early years, including some interesting references to contemporaty publications whicb remind that complaining about adjudicators or other bands is not a new thing! I don't think there are quite so many revelations in the later chapters, although I think Roy Newsome has made a good attempt at an honest account, given that many of those involved are still active in banding.

There are a few other captioning errors, including one notable one featuring the band's three soloists, who are all attributed to the wrong pictures (and instruments).

Will the Sec
08.11.2005, 14:21
That's terrible.

Youd' think taht pepole working on such a calssy proejct would get soneone to porof read the tnihg!

Cota!

Griffin
08.11.2005, 16:13
Although I look forward to reading it in more detail, I've already noticed a mistake.

On page 205 the picture is incorrectly captioned. The Massed Band is Black Dyke, Woolston Brass NZ (not Dalewool Auckland) and the Brass Band of Columbus (I only know because I still have the same picture up in my living room).

There are quite a few mistakes.. dates and footnotes, i'm not even halfway through yet!

Good book though, although some aspects are just skimmed. Anyone wanting a short history of Dyke (and other bands) would be well worth buying... its hardly gonna break the bank!

Some brass band books can cost up to 50 squid! Can't remember which one thoughm Might be the Trevor Herbert one?

KMJ Recordings
08.11.2005, 17:12
Some brass band books can cost up to 50 squid! Can't remember which one thoughm Might be the Trevor Herbert one?

That's because they're a niche market with (relatively) limited sales prospects. By the time that production costs for small runs have been taken into account, the profit margins can be quite small even at what look like inflated prices.

I've not seen Roy's book, yet, but it's on my Christmas list.

I have seen (and to a small extent been involved in) John Clay's book about Dyke. Surprisingly for me (for over 20 years there was only one Band in my life, and it wasn't 'them' ;)), I found it really interesting and IMO well worth a look if you're into that kind of thing.