PDA

View Full Version : Gala concert -SUPERB!

Band Lads Army
18.09.2005, 23:59
Well that afternoon was something else and for only 11 pounds ,super seat and great great entertainment. I'd never been to a proper non SA band concert and I have to say it was fantastic.

Black Dyke ,Fodens ,Bayv ,Central florida all brought something different to the concert but it really was top class. I'd say my favourite moments were the ray far piece featuring the tune from "the holy war" and then the solos from Glynn Williams and probably my favourite moment Leslie howie's solo, what a player. I wasn't keen on Birthday variations from Fodens , but that's just my own opinion. Some super tuned percussion work from literally every percussionist.

The concert lasted about 4 hours! , but was brilliant.

Congratulations to Black Dyke on winning.:tup

Anyone else go ,thoughts?

James Yelland
19.09.2005, 07:28
The concert lasted about 4 hours! , but was brilliant.

Four and a quarter hours, actually.

Plenty of good playing but too b****y long. People were drifting out of the auditorium half way through Dyke's performance, and by the end I estimate about one third of the audience, possibly more, had left (and the hall was by no means full at the start). An entire block of people in the stalls left at the end of Foden's final number, before the performance of Gregson's Variations.

The soloists were indeed good, but from my seat were all too often swamped by the accompaniment - I reckon I heard less than half of the notes David Thornton actually played. And the Symphony Hall is renowned for its wonderful acoustic, after all.

By the end, I felt knackered. As I say, far too long.

Hornblower RN
19.09.2005, 08:43
Too long? Not a chance...my partner and I are in our 60s and stayed to the end. I had a two hour drive after that. Great concert and great entertainment. Leslie Howie was brilliant but overshadowed by the band. David Childs playing of Benedictus was out of this world...absolutely superb control. What an awesome sound from Dyke at the end of Elsa's Procession to the Minster. Full marks have to be given to Tony Small for his arrangement of A Mass for Peace.

IYOUNG
19.09.2005, 10:21
Too long? Not a chance...my partner and I are in our 60s and stayed to the end. I had a two hour drive after that. Great concert and great entertainment. Leslie Howie was brilliant but overshadowed by the band. David Childs playing of Benedictus was out of this world...absolutely superb control. What an awesome sound from Dyke at the end of Elsa's Procession to the Minster. Full marks have to be given to Tony Small for his arrangement of A Mass for Peace.

Totally agree, 11 for 4 hours (sorry 4 and a quarter) entertainment a bargain, look what you pay at Chelsea for 1.5 hours of err.....entertainment. Flippin organisers can't win can they with some people!

A Mass for Peace was indeed brilliant and DC in Benedictus was playing at its best.

A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.

Band Lads Army
19.09.2005, 12:17
Four and a quarter hours, actually.

Plenty of good playing but too b****y long. People were drifting out of the auditorium half way through Dyke's performance, and by the end I estimate about one third of the audience, possibly more, had left (and the hall was by no means full at the start). An entire block of people in the stalls left at the end of Foden's final number, before the performance of Gregson's Variations.

The soloists were indeed good, but from my seat were all too often swamped by the accompaniment - I reckon I heard less than half of the notes David Thornton actually played. And the Symphony Hall is renowned for its wonderful acoustic, after all.

By the end, I felt knackered. As I say, far too long.

I don't think everyone was leaving out of supposed boredom. I was on one of the ledges with a perfect view , one japanese group left and others left , but this could have been down to car parking issues or travelling issues. That said it did look bad from a bands point of view. What about the guy on the front row getting up with all his bags lol

I'll be going to see Dyke in november there that's for sure. As long as it's a good programme I don't care how long a concert is. It could have been reduced by 12 minutes as Birthday Variations was boring IMHO.

davidsait
19.09.2005, 12:18
The concert is always a bargain (even though the price of my ticket has gone up by about 3 this year), and each band always plays something you probably haven't heard before.

As I heard on thursday night, BBCF are much happier playing their own stuff than the test piece.

James Yelland
19.09.2005, 13:37
I don't think everyone was leaving out of supposed boredom.

Yes, I wasn't suggesting people were leaving out of boredom (although I suspect some of them had probably had enough for the day). Some of them no doubt had trains or coaches to catch, other evening commitments, a numb bum, or a combination of all three. I myself saw it through to the bitter end, but only because I was the guest of someone who had bought my ticket for me (although admittedly, the Gregson Variations were worth waiting for).

There's an old adage in the entertainment business about always leaving the audience wanting more. In this instance, some of them had had enough. Twice the quantity does not always equate to twice the quality or enjoyment, and as in many other situations, the law of diminishing returns comes into play. I expect to come out of a concert feeling exhilerated. Yesterday, as I said, I felt knackered and in need of some fresh air. Perhaps by the time I'm 60 I'll be able to hack it!

Cornishwomble
19.09.2005, 14:25
Sorry I thought the concert was spot on and there was plenty of time in between bands to have a quick leg stretch, toilet stop and crafty drink! I hope that next year it's the same and I don't want it watered down as I feel anything less than 5 or 6 pieces per band doesn't do them the justice and it's a bit of a long day just for a 20 minute spot.

Birthday variations was challenging to listen to I agree but I still enjoyed it and it was nice that there was a huge difference in pieces throughout the day.

The Florida band was great and I'd love to see them take part in something like Spennymoor where they seem more suited than a test piece style contest!

Black Dyke's ending piece Procession to the Minster was just awsome and how Peter Roberts didn't explode after hitting that top note I'll never know!!

IYOUNG
19.09.2005, 15:22
[QUOTE=Cornishwomble]
The Florida band was great and I'd love to see them take part in something like Spennymoor where they seem more suited than a test piece style contest!

I actually found that CBoF started off in Tremendous style but rather lost their way and it became rather too samey, very loud and in your face, but as Frank Renton said thats Americans for you, 3 peices arranged by the same bloke wasn't it? hmmm....... more variation please.

Cornishwomble
19.09.2005, 15:34
I disagree with that, i thought it was ok for the length of time they played. I did remark to someone that I wouldn't want to watch a whole concert of it but I thought it was ok. The conductor did do 3 arrangement but you can hardly call Bolero, a hymn and a jazz style piece all the same can you?

They were loud and brash at times but I enjoyed listening to something a bit different

IYOUNG
19.09.2005, 15:48
I disagree with that, i thought it was ok for the length of time they played. I did remark to someone that I wouldn't want to watch a whole concert of it but I thought it was ok. The conductor did do 3 arrangement but you can hardly call Bolero, a hymn and a jazz style piece all the same can you?

They were loud and brash at times but I enjoyed listening to something a bit different

Each to their own I guess

we wondered what CBoF made of the other 3 in terms of entertainment?

PeterBale
19.09.2005, 15:53
I thought that, both from the point of view of musical content and performance, it was the best of the Sunday concerts so far. I've now got to find time to write up my thoughts and get them off to 4barsrest.

drummerboy
19.09.2005, 19:08
I had to leave early (halfway through Foden's set) to get to work, but I do have afew thoughts on the concert.
BBoCF were extremely entertaining. Ok, they didn't play any of what you might call 'traditional' brass band pieces, but then when you're sharing a stage with 3 of the country's top bands, why struggle playing pieces you may be uncomfortable with?
BAYV were fantastic, although Trumpet Blues and Cantabile seemed unbalanced as wonderful player though she is, Michelle Ibbotson has never been the 'dominant' player in the same way Roberts et al. are, and I struggled to hear her.
Dyke were incredible. Simple as. Although I felt they started Elsa's Procession to the Minster way, way, way too loud. Yes the end was amazing, but if they'd have started it a true pp instead of a nice mf flugel solo I'd have been even more amazed.
Foden's were brilliant too. I really enjoyed their first piece. Yes it wasn't full of easy listening tunes, but modern music (in the broadest sense!) isn't necessarily so.
I left after Glyn Williams solo item so can't comment on anything else.
Though I agree with several other people, it was too long by far.

alks
19.09.2005, 20:11
Yes the concert was excellent. Florida were great, they moved around the stage and added that bit of extra entertainment.....something to look at!!.
Perhaps a little less stuffy?? than uk bands. Corys were also exellent, but dyke were amazzing, in another league. Fodens seamed to have a longer set than the others?and i thought that playing birthday variations wasnt right at that point in the afternoon. By the end of the day i was "brassed out" having been to the open the day before also!.

I was very disapointed with people leaving early. Not only that but i wonder if some people in the audience were even listining to the conductors words "florida band will join with fodens for a mass band...." . People were like sheep.....just because some people left they thought it was all over....and had to rush back when they realised that there was more!!. With the seating as it is in places it really disturbes/d people having to get up to let people through all the time. All with only a few left to play!. couldnt they wait just 10 minutes longer?

One american audience member (maybe related to florida band members) said as we left "I couln't belive it .....people were just getting up and leaving in droves..." That doesn't put the UK band seen in a good light does it?.

alks

HBB
19.09.2005, 20:44
What did Lesley Howie play?

PeterBale
20.09.2005, 07:37
Finale of the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto.

noddy
20.09.2005, 12:21
Decided to go to this concert despite a big hangover. Black Dyke were absolutely fantastic - Procession to the Minster was the best I've ever heard it played!
Fodens were also extremely good. Special mention for David Childs too - his solo was fabulous - very moving!Class act.

iggmeister
20.09.2005, 13:49
Was it just me or did it sound like the microphone was left on for Dyke's Procession to the Minster? It sounded like the band was amplified.

It was a truly huge ending - so much so that the old dear in front of me had her hands over her ears! Great playing nonetheless.

Igg

imthemaddude
20.09.2005, 17:43
will there be a dvd like last year?

PeterBale
20.09.2005, 18:13
will there be a dvd like last year?
There didn't seem to be any filming going on this year, but there are highlights of the weekend on "Listen to the Band" over the next two Fridays.

Brian Bowen
24.09.2005, 12:39
The concert had many good moments, but rather too long. One particular criticism: excessive use of the tam-tam. It was far too loud on several occasions, even to the point of becoming crude and uncontrolled especially at the end of the concert.

PeterBale
24.09.2005, 19:26
Apparently next Friday's "Listen to the Band" is concentrating on the Brass Band of Central Florida's programme.