PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Open Test Piece?

sudcornet
30.07.2003, 19:38
Anyone got the inside goss on what the test piece will be yet?
My money's on Paganini V's and we didn't even suggest that.

Sud

leebarrie
30.07.2003, 20:48
Maybe BLITZ????????? :wink:

Tuba Girl
30.07.2003, 23:17
What about variations on an enigma?
Well we should find out in a month or so

I have to admit i do not know which one will be choosen :( :(

Borfeo
31.07.2003, 00:50
I'm hoping and praying for Paganini
I wouldn't mind blitz, but I get sick of Sparkes stuff very easily. Enigma and Harmony Music just don't do it for me, whereas Paganini and Blitz are two of the best written testpieces I can think of.
Saying that, whatever the test piece, I'm looking forward to this contest immensely, should be a great day, and a full bar.

See you all there

jo
31.07.2003, 09:29
I heard on good authority that a composer has been commissioned to take all of the errata from the scores and parts of the last 10 champioship section pieces used and amalgamate them all into a new test piece specifically for the Scottish open.... :shock: :wink:

neiltwist
31.07.2003, 09:55
nah, it'd last two weeks! :wink:

Mike Saville
31.07.2003, 12:07
I heard on good authority that a composer has been commissioned to take all of the errata from the scores and parts of the last 10 champioship section pieces used and amalgamate them all into a new test piece specifically for the Scottish open.... :shock: :wink:

It'd be better than some of the tosh we have to play! :lol:

Aidan
31.07.2003, 15:29
iv never played blitz.. so id like that

SoloBaritone
31.07.2003, 21:05
I sooooo want it to be Blitz! NOT Harmony Music!

Jayne

PeterBale
01.08.2003, 07:59
Weren't bands asked to present suggestions?

No-one going to spill the beans and let us know what their band put forward, or are you just going to blame everyone else when they come up with something you don't like :?: :?: :!: :!: :!:

Aidan
01.08.2003, 11:55
yep.. all bands were asked to put forward 3 pieces, and the one with most votes would be chosen...
however.. this musnt have been simple enough.. as, once all votes were in... they decided we had to vote again!!! :S so still have to wait to find out the piece

Borfeo
01.08.2003, 14:07
30th August is the big day I believe, the excitement is almost unbearable :wink:

The first vote didn't produce a clear winner, so it goes to the shortlist of Paganini, Blitz, Enigma, and Harmony Music.

And I was looking forward to a good romp through Concerto Grosso or Riffs and Interludes, DAMMIT.

Phil Green
01.08.2003, 23:43
Weren't bands asked to present suggestions?

No-one going to spill the beans and let us know what their band put forward, or are you just going to blame everyone else when they come up with something you don't like :?: :?: :!: :!: :!:

We voted for Harmony Music, Variations on an Enigma and Paganini Variations in that order.
What's the betting it's Blitz!!!??? :lol:

Phil.

Tuba Girl
02.08.2003, 00:27
Rumour has it that Harmony Music may have got it. But who knows :?:

sudcornet
02.08.2003, 11:03
It would save us a lot of work for the Areas if it's Harmony Music. (If the rumours turn out to be true)

Sud.

mutsuj
06.08.2003, 14:21
Does the movement really need yet another contest, to be listened to by a half empty hall.

Bands standard of playing should be consistent throughout the year, being challenged by a variety of a busy diary of concerts programmes ( to full halls,) and recordings... Not having to rely on improving the general standard of playing by chucking in another meaningless contest.

KennyC
06.08.2003, 15:33
mutsuj,

Obviously you think the band movement doesn't need another contest. Without any knowledge of who you are or what band you play for, all I can suggest is that you don't know much about banding in Scotland. This is a contest that the Scottish band movement has been crying out for for years and the fact that it has been able to attract the standard of bands that it has tells it's own story. When was the last time bands from the very top drawer competed against the top bands in Scotland? Meaningless, maybe to you but I don't imagine Fodens, Tredegar, Whitburn, CWS, Kirkintilloch, Yorkshire Imps, Sellers......... will be treating as such. Who knows, maybe the hall will be half full!

Kenny

sudcornet
06.08.2003, 15:36
With my nose to the grindstone and an ear to the ground, a little sparrow just whispered to me.....to think of music commissioned in 1991 by the BBC for the, then, Band of the Year. Based on the 24th Caprice by a man dead since 1840 in the city of Nice. One of the educated who judges the good may be a trumpet player born in the year 1949, but, is he a descendant of the great Scottish hero?.........(wakes up from dreamlike trance to find he has typed these words.....)

Sud

leebarrie
06.08.2003, 18:43
Would the test piece consist of two words begining with P and then V?????? :wink:

SoloBaritone
06.08.2003, 19:34
And did mighty Hepworth come third at a certain contest this year playing it?

Jayne

sudcornet
07.08.2003, 07:51
Aahh, glasshoppers, you are close to enlightenment............(walks across rice paper without leaving a mark)

Sud.

SoloBaritone
07.08.2003, 18:25
Are you p***ed Nigel?! A little dickie bird told me what it is the other day.

Jayne

Jordan
08.08.2003, 18:50
Played Harmony Music for the first time last night, thought it was an excellent piece, though i luv blitz aswell , but enigma is brill, something for everybody in that piece!! :D

Jordan (percussion)
The BTM Band

Jordan
09.08.2003, 00:28
really wanna do blitz, great piece, just like all the bourgeouis stuff, the devil and the deep blue sea i wanna play in a contest, just missed out on it by a year when we did the nationals in 93, either that or enigma is great!!

Jordan
Btm Band
Percussion

alexandria
10.08.2003, 19:25
Im tired of waiting around to hear what the scot's open piece could be. :( Ive got an idea as to how we can find out sooner.....a representive from each band in the section should put their vote on here and then we'll know before the offical announcement will be made! he he he he...... :lol: :lol:

Think its going to be vairiations on an enigma.

Alex James
S.Wales

Borfeo
11.08.2003, 16:25
I think Mr Sutherlands hit the nail on the head on both counts, don't get your hopes up for Harmony Music Blitz or Enigma, it's all done and dusted bar the parping.

Incidentally, my band picked
1. Paganini 2. Blitz 3. Enigma 4. Harmony

Buchanan
24.08.2003, 17:09
The Scottish Open posters were on display at Troon yesterday announcing the test piece as Paganini Variations.

Jim Buchanan

Roger Thorne
12.09.2003, 17:28
The Scottish Open posters were on display at Troon yesterday announcing the test piece as Paganini Variations.

Jim Buchanan
Official announcement on 4BarsRest

Scottish Open announces test piece
Its an old favourite for inaugural Scottish Open

The forthcoming Scottish Open which will be held in Glasgow in a couple of months time have announced that the bands who will be taking part will have to tackle Philip Wilby's "Paganini Variations" as the set work for the contest.

So Nigel was correct with the first post of the thread!

My money's on Paganini V's and we didn't even suggest that.

Sud

:wink: