PDA

View Full Version : Tuba tribute to Fletch

PeterBale
17.06.2005, 12:18
I'd seen this advertised a few weeks back and decided to give it a go. The recording has been produced as a tribute to the late lamented tuba virtuoso John Fletcher of the PJBE and LSO amongst others.

The role call of participants is most impressive and the recording covers a wide range of styles. No doubt there will be some items that will appeal more than others, but I've been enjoying it hugely since it arrived. With repertoire ranging from Tchaikowsky to Ellington, with a couple of contemporary works thrown in for good measure, there should be something for everyone.

The playing is first class: difficult to single anyone out really, but James Gourlay and Owen Slade are outstanding, and Eric Crees's take on "Swing low, sweet chariot" for 4 euphs, 12 tubas & drum kit is a cracker.

I bought mine from the Midland cd club, whose price is particularly attractive at the moment:
http://www.ukcd.net/details.asp?ref=1445

AndyCat
17.06.2005, 13:38
Yep, an excellent CD. Good to hear some orchestral style Euph playing as well.

Hopefully, a review should appear in the Bandsman in the next couple of weeks.

brassneck
17.06.2005, 18:22
For all Fletch fans, one album to get is 'Le Tuba Enchantee'. Recorded in Japan (April 20 & 21, 1980, at the Ishibashi Memorial Hall in Tokyo) and accompanied by Michael Reeves (piano) it represents the peak of his tuba playing days.

Tracklist:-

1. Miniature Overture from 'Nutcracker Suite' (Tchaikovksy) [quartet, Fletch all parts]
2. Chanson de Matin (Elgar)
3. O Du Mein Holder Abendstein from 'Tannhauser' (Wagner)
4. Song Of The Flea (Mussorgsky)
5. Non Pui Andre from 'Le Nozze di Figaro' (Mozart)
6. Suite for Unaccompanied Tuba (Walter Hartley)
7. Sonata für Basstuba und Klavier (Paul Hindemith)
8. Sonatine für Basstuba und Klavier (Jennifer Glass)

- KICC 61 released by Firebird Records in 1981 under license from King Record Co. Ltd., 2-12-13 Otowa Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112, Japan.

brassneck
19.06.2005, 02:19
I have ordered the CD for the merit of the performers and pieces alone. One thing though, I'm sure the Steven's 'Liberation Of Sisyphus' was written for and premiered by Roger Bobo in 1990. Especially looking forward to hearing Oren Marshall's performances.

PeterBale
19.06.2005, 08:14
James Gourlay is the soloist in "Liberation of Sisyphus".

brassneck
19.06.2005, 10:57
James Gourlay is the soloist in "Liberation of Sisyphus".

... I think the work (and it is good) was written after John Fletcher's death in 1987, but was a commission from Bobo.

WorldofBrass.com
21.06.2005, 15:34
Yep, an excellent CD. Good to hear some orchestral style Euph playing as well.

Hopefully, a review should appear in the Bandsman in the next couple of weeks.

The review will be on page 9 of the BB this week, Andy.

brassneck
23.06.2005, 11:27
Got my copy today and will report back when I 'listen' to it (... Caravan, played & arranged by Oren Marshall is fab!).

brassneck
25.06.2005, 10:20
erm., ... have you ever had these moments when you have to hold back your feelings about something when you want to give an opinion? (... I have mixed views regarding this CD, but buy it to support the trust!). I would be interested to hear what The Bandsman has to say about it! :cool:

PeterBale
25.06.2005, 11:06
Andy produced a glowing review - maybe he'll elaborate in here in due course. I've listened to it several more times since my initial post and, although there are one or two tracks that I haven't really taken to, overall I'm enjoying it greatly.

AndyCat
25.06.2005, 15:39
I thoroughly enjoyed the CD, as my review states. I don't think there's much wrong with it at all, although it is an eclectic mix of pieces. As a "Tribute to Fletch", I think it fits the bill perfectly, especially when you consider his solo recordings (Le Tuba Enchentee, Best of Fletch etc.) are full of oddities and humour alongside the serious stuff.
The "poem" isn't really my scene, but I can see it as being something very "Fletch" and this is what it's about in the end.

Saying all this, I appreciate that it's only my opinion, and one mans meat is another mans poison etc., so don't mind what anybody says about it. I've certainly no gripes with anyone who doesn't like it!

I'd be interested to see what you all think yourselves. Say what you mean!

Big Gav
27.06.2005, 08:01
I agree with you Andy-It is a great CD! I ordered it as soon as I saw the thread and have listened to it several times. The ensemble work in the 'choral' pieces are class with some amazing balance between the parts. I would definately recommend this CD to everybody.

Gavin Saynor