PDA

View Full Version : Concert encores

PeterBale
15.07.2003, 17:40
I've just been listening to a tape of a (wind band - horror of horrors) concert that I was unable to attend. The playing was not bad, apart from some poor tuning, until it came to the encore. I couldn't tell whether their lips had gone, whether they had lost concentration, or whether the piece was beyond their capabilities anyway, but it really took away any pleasant memories that may have lingered.

I wonder what tMPers think about encores, either as a player or as a member of the audience. There are some bands whose encores have become so traditional that they may as well print them on the programme, like a regimental march.

What do you think?

Naomi McFadyen
15.07.2003, 17:51
It's gotta be a good'n!
Then the crowd cheer louder and louder
and if you're lucky you'll get another encore!

and another!...

Weeeell, we can dream... I know people aboard appreciate band music more than over here really so you do get more encores... I've heard of bands getting 4 or 5 encores aboard... must be a great feeling :D

Maestro
15.07.2003, 19:31
A couple of years ago, I heard Fodens, under Bram Tovey, at a cincert in Norwich.
The concert was quite superb as one would expect, but the encore completely left me gobsmacked.
It was one verse of Abide With Me.

It was the perfect end to the perfect concert. Thanks Fodens and Maestro Tovey.

Pythagoras
15.07.2003, 20:00
I think encores should be done sparingly, especially by fourth section bands an hour before closing time. We had to play Radetsky and Death or Glory after a concert had finished recently, and my lip was knackered. As the audience was mostly made up of people from other local bands, I suspect that this was just a cynical ploy to keep the beer for themselves.

aons'ghost
15.07.2003, 20:12
I think that the choice of an encor is down to the type of concert the venue the audience etc.etc.. But the one thing that gets right up my nose after nearly thirty year of playing.It's the NATIONAL ANTHEM. If there is ever a piece that can completely drop the excitement of an occassion it's the Anthem. I am fed up of 'hearing' that un- earie pregnant pause after it has been played, and the bemused look of the audience as it collectively thinks out loud. What do we do now??, get our coats applaud, hide. It really puts a damper on everything. Beside it being an awful toooon. AHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh

There i've finally got it off my chest. Lets BAN IT (Assuming of course that Bands still play it after each formal concert)

Keppler
15.07.2003, 20:26
Comments on National Anthem in this thread: http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=1829

floral_dance
15.07.2003, 20:55
At our last concert we finished with New York, New York and the audience loved it, either that or they clapped very loudly because we had finished :?

Euph-Bari
15.07.2003, 21:09
for the last few cocerts our oncores been one voice

aimee_euph
15.07.2003, 21:17
my youth band play "The Saints" at the end of every concert, and when played well its a great way to end a concert. It's a jazz/swing style arrangemtn of "OH When The Saints" its very good!

michellegarbutt
15.07.2003, 23:05
Can't beat Hootananny. We must have played this at least six times on our way out of Durham miners gala. Our supporters would lynch us if we didn't play it

Cantonian
15.07.2003, 23:28
More often than not we play the march Manhattan as a lollipop, trying to beat the record as checked by our ex-librarian's stopwatch.

On the Horn
16.07.2003, 01:39
I reckon if the band just, blasted a few notes, ran off the stage screaming and straight to the pub it would be a memorable occasion for the audience!

Cornishwomble
16.07.2003, 09:11
At our concert last week, we did "The Melody shop". It's a cracking piece to finish but a swine on the lips when you've just done a full concert!

bladder
16.07.2003, 15:27
At our concert last week, we did "The Melody shop". It's a cracking piece to finish but a swine on the lips when you've just done a full concert!

You big girl's blouse!! Anyways, the hard bit in 'The Malody Shop', is that nonsense at the end!

Mike Saville
16.07.2003, 19:16
Definately depends on the concert/venue/audience/players etc

I heard London Brass do a version of Amazing Grace in Germany which was as soft and as sweet as can be. However this played by less able players woud be a poor choice due to lack of chops/control.

geordiecolin
16.07.2003, 20:54
Can't beat Hootananny

in my opinion you can't beat hootenanny enough. a big stick works best i find! then go scrabble for those matches...................

Phil Green
17.07.2003, 09:43
We have always used Entry of the Gladiators as our normal encore although we do alternate sometimes.
Every so often we bash through Radetsky, singing the Trio section.
As Kev said, under Bram we often finish with a slow piece, often a hymn tune and Abide with me is one of Bram's favorites.
After the Dutch Open in 1995 we performed the Gala concert. Our last programmed piece was Harmony Music - the band played really well and the audience were on their feet. Then Howard decided to bypass Entry of the Gladiators and use Greensleeves as the encore. When Rob Fulcher came off his last note (20 seconds + long), there was a muted applause which continued as Howard led us off stage. They wanted another rip roarer. On that occasion we got it wrong.

Phil.

PeterBale
17.07.2003, 10:31
I suppose having started this thread I should say something about what we do!

With Hadleigh Band, depending on the venue and the layout, we will often close with a sung benediction, for which the band members move to stand among the audience, after which we can easily move off to speak to people. Clearly, if we do that, we are unable to play anything else, but if we are still sat in our places, we will generally play a march, most likely George Marshall's Soldiers of Christ.

There have been occasions when a quiet piece is better, and our bandmaster usually seems to make the right decision. Equally, when the band is on duty for the evening service we usually play following the benediction. If it has been an upbeat meeting then Norman Bearcroft's "They'll sing me a welcome home" always goes down well. As a quiet epilogue, it could be something from whichever band journal we are using that evening, or there are one or two hymn tunes that recur frequently, including Ascalon, Showers of Blessing and When the Glory.

At the end of a weekend away, it always used to be traditional to take part in a "wind-up", which could include some quite substantial pieces at times. In fact the first time I played Eric Ball's Triumph of Peace was sight-reading it in a wind-up - the band had often used it, but the BM had not thought that there would be several of us for whom it was new.

I think the worst thing for an audience at the end of a concert is not knowing whether or not an encore is going to be played, especially if you have got a fair distance to travel to get home. Often the band on stage seem unclear what is happening and you don't know whether to keep clapping in anticipation of another piece or to dash for the exit to miss the crush on the way out.

Straightmute
17.07.2003, 12:09
I'm not sure why we have encores. If a conductor plans a particular finale to a programme then presumably that's how he thinks the concert should end. I've been to so many concerts where a band have put considerable effort into their last programmed piece then followed it with something tacky or inappropriate, and spoiled the effect for me.

The original idea of an 'encore' was to play the same piece again if it was well recieved by the audience. The modern idea of the encore seems to be concerned with giving the audience a bonus piece - 'something for nothing' - so I guess the original idea wouldn't go down too well today.

On tour in Germany we played Old Comrades and the European Anthem as encores but back home we normally end with the last piece on the programme and try to make it a good one!

D

Mike Saville
17.07.2003, 12:31
On tour in Germany we played Old Comrades and the European Anthem as encores but back home we normally end with the last piece on the programme and try to make it a good one!

D

You'll never go wrong with Old Comrades in Germany or Sembre et Meuse in France for that matter!

Maestro
17.07.2003, 13:16
.....or Marche Lorraine Mike

twigglet
17.07.2003, 13:30
I've been to so many concerts where a band have put considerable effort into their last programmed piece then followed it with something tacky
D

This is my favourite type of concert ending! A really good finisher then a really tacky, light hearted encore to wake up the old dears and to do a bit of shoulder dancing while I attempt to blow the notes! In the mood, Lightwalk something along those lines and how can we ignore the legendary Floral Dance!! Chheeeeeeeesssseeee please

Anyone agree??

blondie
17.07.2003, 13:41
To right elin. We do do some fantastic encores played properly of course, it is the way to go out on a light-hearted note, without anybody wondering wether there is more to come or ruining the atmosphere that you spent all night creating.

So definately the cheesier the better!!!!

Straightmute
17.07.2003, 16:18
Ah well, looks like I'll be first to the bar!

D

Griffin
08.11.2004, 17:05
I know this is a bit old... what the hell!!!

At the mo, we've been finishing with Amparita Roca (complete with ridiculous Piccallo-type frilly bit). Sometimes The Irish Blessing though, which is nice - but not for me cos im usually knackered!!!

tubafran
08.11.2004, 17:15
Concert finishers - last night we did a Remembrance and Proms concert and our official final piece was Pomp & Circumstance (Land of Hope & Glory) with an encore of the final coda. Still not enough for the audience so we gave them Backdraft - lots of loud timp and loads fff.

Still left them standing and shouting for more. One of the best concerts we have done for some time and a complete sell out.

bigmamabadger
08.11.2004, 21:13
Since I've been at Barnton we've never done an encore once. Mind you we usually share our concerts with the local operatic warblers. [makes sign of averting evil eye and spits over left shoulder, narrowly missing spouse/] They own the *&%$* venue... and they do enough encores for us all.

It's a tricky one and a skill which I think MD's have to learn. To encore or not to encore. I've been in bands where an encore was always played whatever the reception and you end up playing to someone's deaf grandma and an old tramp and his dog who just came in to get out of the rain. I've also played with bands who would never do an encore, which sometimes seems a little ungrateful, given that people have come out to have a good listen and to support their local band.

[traumatic childhood moment] When I was about 8 we went to listen to a very famous band whose name escapes me. Embarrassment number one was when daddy, proudly wearing his natty new blazer (c. 1977, remember) was mistaken for a waiter, and pretended to take an order. Embarrassment number two was after one particularly fine rendition of something daddy rose to his feet, clapping like a seal and bellowing, "encore, encore". We got one; "for the gentleman who asked"[/traumatic childhood moment]

These things are crippling when you're only 8.
BMB
xx

DublinBass
08.11.2004, 23:08
You'll never go wrong with ...Sembre et Meuse in France for that matter!

Or in Ohio (especially Columbus!!)

flugelgal
08.11.2004, 23:40
We had 2 concerts last week (yes, we also had 2 rehearsals and a contest :shock:). At the concerts we used the finale from William Tell as an encore. It went down a storm!

I do think that Nizwa Fort, one of the new Darrol Barry pieces that we played at Whitburn would be a very good encore. It's still going through my head - I would love to have a go at the rest of the pieces from "Forts of Oman"...

[/plug] ;)

WoodenFlugel
08.11.2004, 23:58
Generally for a "formal" concert we would normally have something ready, whether we use it or not depends on the audience reaction. Sometimes we will repeat the last number (especially if we've done a proms style concert, finishing with Pomp & Circumstance) or we might do something relatively fast and furious. In the past we've done stuff like Amporita Roca, Finale from Pineapple Poll, although an arrangement of "Bring Me Sunshine" used to go down particularly well.

As far as the original question goes, I dunno, I guess it depends on the individual concert as to whether doing an encore is appropriate or not. And quiet encores can be really effective but you have to be brave to do them!!

Whatever you do though just one thing: you have to make sure you play it well!!!! :D

Jan H
09.11.2004, 00:04
Normally, our conductor tells us which piece we will play as an encore, and he decides whether we really play it or not, depending on the audience's reaction.

Usually he chooses a piece from the previous year's program. For instance, in our last concert, we played Gaelforce as an encore.

MattB
09.11.2004, 09:55
I think like has already been mentioned, a good encore will depend on whether you've been able to tell if the band is knackered or not, and if the audience is still with you. We did a job once, and the audience was so quiet in the 1st spot I remember using the line 'Let's all join hands and contact the living'. Some of them actually laughed! The band certainly did!

WhatSharp?
09.11.2004, 10:36
We've recently been doing the Muppet Show as an encore, goes down very well.