PDA

View Full Version : Mutes for Tubas?

cobrebandnerd
24.03.2005, 19:28
I'm in the market for a Tuba practice mute. Is there any mute that is better than the rest? I'm especially looking into the Yamaha Silent Brass System. Is there anything better?

prudhoebass
24.03.2005, 20:20
Have you tried a dead sheep??

katharine
24.03.2005, 21:16
i've got me one of those don maslet / dennis wick practice mutes. works pretty well, but can't use it for too long in one go cos it affects the tuning quite a lot.

fits easily in to the bell inside a gig bag, so easy to carry around.

not really the same type of thing as a silent brass, but it is a cheaper alternative.

Darth_Tuba
24.03.2005, 22:45
I agree on the Don Maslet mute. It's handy as it stays in the gig bag etc so it's easy to take wherever you go. I found the silent brass to cumbersome and a pain to set up. I could never be bothered using the headphone system and it is just generally too big.

brassneck
24.03.2005, 22:56
... you have to watch the Yamaha mute as it's weight can tip the bell balance changing the embouchure if you play with it tilting slightly. I've never had a problem with tuning with the Don Maslet on my Yamaha Maestro 632S.

katharine
24.03.2005, 23:31
... I've never had a problem with tuning with the Don Maslet on my Yamaha Maestro 632S.

maybe you're just better at tuning than me! :oops: but i'll blame it on my Sovereign for now! :clap:

brassneck
24.03.2005, 23:46
maybe you're just better at tuning than me! :oops: but i'll blame it on my Sovereign for now! :clap:

... it was only when the sealing ring was shoved out of position that it affected upper register!

Bass Man
25.03.2005, 00:02
I play a sovereign and find that a Don Maslet is the best mute to use, however, I tend to agree that a dead sheep is also quite good

Gorgie boy
24.05.2005, 14:12
I use a Silent Brass and find it's ok - just a bit of trouble in the upper register. I agree that it's a bit of a nightmare putting it together all the time - so I stopped dismantling it and just hide it in the spare room!

Whatever mute you use, it's just not the same as practising without one though.

Paul Drury

brassneck
25.05.2005, 01:16
I use a Silent Brass and find it's ok - just a bit of trouble in the upper register. I agree that it's a bit of a nightmare putting it together all the time - so I stopped dismantling it and just hide it in the spare room!

Whatever mute you use, it's just not the same as practising without one though.

Paul Drury

erm., I keep my silent brass package (in it's case) on top of my wardrobe and it sorta fell off a month or two ago, breaking two of the securing clips that hold the mute together. :oops: However, after not being able to find spares anywhere, I resorted to some D.I.Y.. What did I use? Self-adhesive Velco strips from B&Q for less than 3 and laced them through the clip assembly to attach to the stuck-on hook strips. Works perfectly (... just remember to line up the mic in a position to suit!). I dread to think how much replacement elasticated clips for the silent brass would cost! :mad: