PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire Co-op's NZ tour

brass journo
03.03.2005, 09:54
United Co-op Yorkshire in final stages of preparation for mega tour

The United Co-op Yorkshire Brass Band is less than two weeks away from departure on its mega tour of Singapore and New Zealand to perform in the 125th New Zealand Brass Band Championships.
Once this weekend’s Regional Championships have passed it will be all systems go for final preparations including rehearsal of all the concert and contest repertoire which includes Kenneth Downie’s epic test-piece St. Magnus, an own-choice test-piece and an entertainment programme for the Band of the Year Championships.
The band has five engagements to fulfil prior to the contest including workshops, high profile functions and three major concerts and a week of intensive rehearsals.
Said Tabby Clegg of the band: “It has been hard word to get this far but the work has been worth it. This is a trip of a lifetime and an opportunity to perform in places only ever dreamed about. The band is proud to get this opportunity to represent its country at such a major event and whilst it will perform to its highest possible standard, the real achievement is having the commitment and drive to contemplate such a project in the first place.”
“We have to thank so many people for helping us organise the tour, especially Simon Hocking of House of Travel in New Zealand and the organising committee of the Championships who have been an amazing support and a great help. They are a wonderful team who have thought of every detail to make the Championships a great success. Thanks must also go to Richard Adams in Singapore, Kirsten Sharman of Titan Hutt City Brass and Simon and Alex Kerwin of Trusts Waitakere. The band would also like to express thanks to all the bands in New Zealand who have been in contact wishing us well and offering us equipment and help. The camaraderie of the bands towards us ‘foreigners’ has been overwhelming!”
The band departs from Manchester on 16 March and returns on 2 April and its full playing itinerary is:
Friday 18 March – Workshops and performance at Paya Lebar School, Singapore
Friday 18 March - Concert at Mrs. Lee Choon Guan Concert Hall, Singapore
Saturday 19 March – Private function at the British High Commissioner’s private residence, Eden Hall in Singapore
Monday 21 March – Concert with Trusts Waitakere in Auckland Town Hall, New Zealand
Wednesday 23 March – Concert with Titan Hutt City Brass in Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand
Saturday 26 March – 125th New Zealand Brass Band Championships – set work
Sunday 27 March – 125th New Zealand Brass Band Championships – own-choice work
Monday 28 March – Band of the Year Championship

Tabby Clegg
Secretary
United Co-op Yorkshire Brass Band

Tour to Singapore and New Zealand 2005 with support from United Co-op, Simon Hocking House of Travel, Singapore Airlines, Kiwi International, Apollo Lodge Motel, Awards for All, London 2012, Kirklees Music, Obrasso Verlag and Rightnowmusic.com

kiwiposaune
04.03.2005, 04:19
looking forward to seeing and hearing the band - have a safe trip down here!

brass journo
04.03.2005, 08:18
cheers - make sure you come and introduce yourself - I play principal cornet for the band!

We can't wait now - lots to do though before we get there!!

see you in a few weeks!

Tabby

kiwiposaune
05.03.2005, 00:43
I certainly will - and I'll bring all the uncultured Kiwis I can drag along (they're the most fun). I'm looking forward to hearing your own choice - one of my all time faves!

robcav
05.03.2005, 00:50
Best of luck to Yorkshire Co-op in New Zealand and of course at the Yorkshire Areas. Would love to be going along with you but work has a happy knack of getting in the way of life's real pleasures.

Best wishes
Rob C

Kerwintootle
05.03.2005, 06:28
Looking forward to seeing you guys. Not long now. Good luck for the areas!

brass journo
05.03.2005, 09:13
Looking forward to seeing you guys. Not long now. Good luck for the areas!

need all the luck we can get!!!

see ya soon!

Tabbs