PDA

View Full Version : A complaint

kate_the_horn
18.02.2005, 19:59
i am sorry to say that i have a complaint about tmp.

there are far too many words on it.

k x

Naomi McFadyen
18.02.2005, 20:00
oh... well... spose thats what you get for being on a talkative forum!

:p :)

HBB
18.02.2005, 20:05
at least it isn't dead!

yonhee
18.02.2005, 20:06

k x
riiiight
ok everyone stop riteing in words!
My work is done :p

Will the Sec
18.02.2005, 21:01
Well, in order to get the number of words down, Kelly, you could ignore threads that seek to belittle the efforts of a friendly national based forum in an area where two bands happened to have booked concerts on the same night.:mad:

drummergurl
18.02.2005, 21:56
LOL what a random complaint kel!!

thought you was gunna complain about summat worth complaining about like erm the weather!!

Keppler
18.02.2005, 22:10
Never use one small word when multiple words of lengthier countenance will obfuscate the meaning more efficaciously.

drummergurl
18.02.2005, 22:15
Never use one small word when multiple words of lengthier countenance will obfuscate the meaning more efficaciously.

pardon? :|

becks164
18.02.2005, 23:13
say what?? dumb that down for me plz lol

drummergurl
18.02.2005, 23:18
exactly what i thought... only now im also wondering why its now in thread games when it was just in the random one... mods?

Naomi McFadyen
18.02.2005, 23:20
Totally Random!!!

Mrs Fruity
18.02.2005, 23:56

let me facilitate your velocitous extramuralisation then mate! ;)

drummergurl
18.02.2005, 23:57
let me facilitate your velocitous extramuralisation then mate! ;)

ya what?

PeterBale
19.02.2005, 00:38
F U N E X ?

S. I F M N X

(Is that better?)

yonhee
19.02.2005, 11:51
F U N E X ?

S. I F M N X

(Is that better?)
no.....
An also what what do
''Never use one small word when multiple words of lengthier countenance will obfuscate the meaning more efficaciously.''
an
''let me facilitate your velocitous extramuralisation then mate!''
mean cos i dont understand big words

drummergurl
19.02.2005, 13:28
F U N E X ?

S. I F M N X

(Is that better?)

in a word mr bale... no

CAN NO-ONE SPEAK IN PLAIN ENGLISH THAT IS LITTLE WORDS FOR US THICK PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND?!?!?!?!

edit: like words of 1 or 2 syllables... 3 at the most!!

Will the Sec
19.02.2005, 18:23
''Never use one small word when multiple words of lengthier countenance will obfuscate the meaning more efficaciously.''

This is incomplete!!!

"Never use one monosyllabic pronouncement when words of lengthier countenance will obfuscate the meaning more efficaciously"

or

Never say "now" when you could say "at this precise moment in time".

or

Never use a simple word when a longer word or phrase might deliberately confuse people.

www.confuseblingteenagers.com (http://www.confuseblingteenagers.com) has got hundreds of these, but you have to be 20 to gain access :biggrin:

2nd man down
21.02.2005, 01:19
kelly...is it not time you got back in your box now? sheesh!

PeterBale
21.02.2005, 01:49
For drummergurl:

F U N E X ?

S. I F M N X

(Is that better?)

in a word mr bale... no

CAN NO-ONE SPEAK IN PLAIN ENGLISH THAT IS LITTLE WORDS FOR US THICK PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND?!?!?!?!

edit: like words of 1 or 2 syllables... 3 at the most!!

Translation:
"Have you any eggs?"

"Yes. I have ham and eggs!"

;) ;) ;)

drummergurl
21.02.2005, 14:39
:woo

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

finally something i understand.... thank you mr bale!!!

sevenhelz
27.02.2005, 17:19

well you categorically obfuscated the signification exorbitantly adequately. let us forthwith perdure in discomfiting the commonality.
xx

becks164
27.02.2005, 17:38
you can what????
i do not understand that at all

drummergurl
27.02.2005, 17:42
yeah words of one or 2 syllables... that us common folk can understand!

Naomi McFadyen
27.02.2005, 17:44
^

espeically for us ficko drummers

;-)

mikelyons
27.02.2005, 18:49
Now do you believe that language is power?

Will the Sec
27.02.2005, 18:52
yeah words of one or 2 syllables... that us common folk can understand!

So not "syllables" or "understand", then? :rolleyes:

drummergurl
27.02.2005, 18:52
no... language isnt power... and neither is money... power is for the greedy.

mikelyons
27.02.2005, 18:58
I don't disagree. Control of the language gives the power to the greedy. This is why jargon exists. It is also why politicians speak the way they do.

yonhee
27.02.2005, 20:42
whats jargon?
And people stop using long words to confuse me on purpose its evil.

Naomi McFadyen
27.02.2005, 20:49
Yonhee, you should keep www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com) in your internet favourites!

jar·gon
Nonsensical, incoherent, or meaningless talk.
A hybrid language or dialect; a pidgin.
The specialized or technical language of a trade, profession, or similar group. See Synonyms at dialect (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dialect).
Speech or writing having unusual or pretentious vocabulary, convoluted phrasing, and vague meaning

Or in other words.... just a load of twaddle....

yonhee
27.02.2005, 21:19
I dont have favourites anyway it'd be useless cause i'd have to look up the words that define the word i type in and so on.It'd be alot easier if people just used normal speak i mean its not like anyone goes round using all these big words theyre just doing it to confuse me an the other easily confuddled people. :mad:

jonford
27.02.2005, 21:23
whats jargon?
And people stop using long words to confuse me on purpose its evil.

I don't think people are trying to confuse you on purpose! You certainly like the word evil ;)

yonhee
27.02.2005, 21:26
I don't think people are trying to confuse you on purpose! You certainly like the word evil ;)
They are in this thread!! I do like the word evil but i dont use it as much as i did last year its normally other words i cant post on here now.

sevenhelz
27.02.2005, 21:55
well i am, not specifically her, but people in general... i agree with mikelyons, language isnt the ultimate power but its a fantastically powerful tool...

was that simple enough for ya ;)

yonhee
27.02.2005, 21:59
well i am, not specifically her, but people in general... i agree with mikelyons, language isnt the ultimate power but its a fantastically powerful tool...

was that simple enough for ya ;)
Yes.But its only a fantasticly powerfull in books an stuff not when your just talking.

mikelyons
27.02.2005, 21:59
Very true. I never claimed that language was the ultimate power, but it is a very powerful tool for control. It's why the Catholic church insisted on Latin as the language for its services until the 1960s. It had power over its congregations because of this.Incidentally, I do use these words all the time.

If you don't use it you lose it.

yonhee
27.02.2005, 22:05
Very true. I never claimed that language was the ultimate power, but it is a very powerful tool for control. It's why the Catholic church insisted on Latin as the language for its services until the 1960s. It had power over its congregations because of this.Incidentally, I do use these words all the time.

If you don't use it you lose it.
Not true.
But most Catholics didn't know latin so they wouldnt have understood any of it.

sevenhelz
27.02.2005, 22:08
Yes.But its only a fantasticly powerfull in books an stuff not when your just talking.

i have to say i disagree - what about political speeches? or the questions in interviews?

im an eng lang student so we study conversational language, and believe me you can persuade and control just as well in verbal as in the written word. :) guess what the most powerful word is...

IMAGINE

and mike, yeah, latin gave authority but the snooty words and accents they had in english will've helped.

an expansive vocabulary is a wonderful thing in life. language helps shape thoughts, so the range of your knowledge of language is linked to the kind of topics you can think about, and how much detail you can spot in other people's language - for instance the difference of my using "expansive" fthan if i'd used "large". language is also one of the main ways we bond with each other - you might've noticed that you don't feel so good about someone if you havent talked to them for while.

where did this thread begin?
lol

mikelyons
27.02.2005, 22:10
Not true.
But most Catholics didn't know latin so they wouldnt have understood any of it.

Try not practising for a year - see how good your tongue is!

Exactly. Because the priesthood knew the language they had power over their congregation.i.e. they could conduct the services and the people couldn't. Therefore the priests were closer to God than the congregation and were, therefore, better than the ordinary worshippers. They formed an elite and many of them became enormously wealthy.

mikelyons
27.02.2005, 22:13
I'm enjoying this. Don't spoil it by wondering what the initial impetus was.

yonhee
27.02.2005, 22:13
Try not practising for a year - see how good your tongue is!

Exactly. Because the priesthood knew the language they had power over their congregation.i.e. they could conduct the services and the people couldn't. Therefore the priests were closer to God than the congregation and were, therefore, better than the ordinary worshippers. They formed an elite and many of them became enormously wealthy.
but thats stupid i dont actually believe in God but still just because you know latin how can that make you closer to God as you put it.

yonhee
27.02.2005, 22:19
i have to say i disagree - what about political speeches? or the questions in interviews?

im an eng lang student so we study conversational language, and believe me you can persuade and control just as well in verbal as in the written word. :) guess what the most powerful word is...

IMAGINE

and mike, yeah, latin gave authority but the snooty words and accents they had in english will've helped.

an expansive vocabulary is a wonderful thing in life. language helps shape thoughts, so the range of your knowledge of language is linked to the kind of topics you can think about, and how much detail you can spot in other people's language - for instance the difference of my using "expansive" fthan if i'd used "large". language is also one of the main ways we bond with each other - you might've noticed that you don't feel so good about someone if you havent talked to them for while.

where did this thread begin?
lol
political speeches must be one of the most boring things ever well to me they are.And the only time i find the english language interesting and actually want to understand it is when im reading but thats just me.

sevenhelz
27.02.2005, 22:21
he's right, latin was the prestigious language - the one only the scholars and monks knew, so they made the commoners think it made them closer to God. the commoners didnt have the education and the freedom of speech we have now so it seems most of them believed it. mostly we dont now, but its still seen as quite a learned thing - anyone with two or more languages must be reasonably intelligent.

and yes, political speeches are boring, to most of us - but to the people who care, the language used is as critical as the actual issues involved.

yonhee
27.02.2005, 22:24
he's right, latin was the prestigious language - the one only the scholars and monks knew, so they made the commoners think it made them closer to God. the commoners didnt have the education and the freedom of speech we have now so it seems most of them believed it. mostly we dont now, but its still seen as quite a learned thing - anyone with two or more languages must be reasonably intelligent.

and yes, political speeches are boring, to most of us - but to the people who care, the language used is as critical as the actual issues involved.
I know that we did it in history.Is that why im no good at languages cos im not intelligent? I think i'll tell my french teacher that when i get my test reults back :p

sevenhelz
27.02.2005, 22:27
lol that's not what i meant - more that in general it is supposed that bilingual people are more intelligent

was gonna put something like presumed/perceived there :P

mikelyons
27.02.2005, 22:28
If you control the language you control what can be said. In the period under discussion, the people believed what they were told. It was better than being branded a heretic

yonhee
27.02.2005, 22:33
lol that's not what i meant - more that in general it is <i>supposed</i> that bilingual people are more intelligent

<i>was gonna put something like presumed/perceived there</i> :P
Yeh but its a good excuse for my french teacher!An the whole language thing is i can speak to friends/teachers etc without any problems so i don't need to know complicated big words but when im reading i like having big words cos it sounds better.

yonhee
27.02.2005, 22:34
If you control the language you control what can be said. In the period under discussion, the people believed what they were told. It was better than being branded a heretic
I'd rather have been killed than have been forced to believe something i didnt believe.

mikelyons
27.02.2005, 22:36
You are discovering the need for different levels of language. When you speak to other people in your social group you may not need complicated structures, but you will find them used in more formal situations and you will also find many subtle shades of language being used in different situations.

sevenhelz
27.02.2005, 22:39
oh dear mike's about to go all technical and talk about the "frame" of a conversation *sigh*

yonhee
27.02.2005, 22:39
You are discovering the need for different levels of language. When you speak to other people in your social group you may not need complicated structures, but you will find them used in more formal situations and you will also find many subtle shades of language being used in different situations.
Am I? Argh i really should go to bed instead of having conversations about language my english teacher will be pleased though!Which reminds me i have a english test tomorow. :(

mikelyons
27.02.2005, 22:40
Moi? :eek: Not likely!;)

yonhee
27.02.2005, 22:42
oh dear mike's about to go all technical and talk about the "frame" of a conversation *sigh*
lol
I actually learn alot from tmp!
Do you two realise we've spent two pages discussing this!
Im going to bed before my brain explodes I'll leave you two to discuss the use of english language further.

sevenhelz
27.02.2005, 22:47
lol
I actually learn alot from tmp!
Do you two realise we've spent two pages discussing this!
Im going to bed before my brain explodes I'll leave you two to discuss the use of english language further.

fair enough, sleep it off; it'll come running out of your ears while you sleep and you'll have a lovely pile of language on your pillow :P

Jamie
28.02.2005, 00:17

That's the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis on linguistic relativity. Says language shapes what we think and essentially therefore what we are able to think, and so on.

And a nifty use of language can get you everywhere... rhetoric and effective oratory could sell ice to the eskimos!

sevenhelz
28.02.2005, 00:46
we learn it as Piaget's theory - language is linked to cognitive development. you can only talk about things you understand, and you can only really understand things you can talk clearly about. so being able to talk in different styles is truly mind-broadening. squee!

Keppler
28.02.2005, 12:14
you can only talk about things you understand,

That's never stopped me before... :wink:

My interest in language is more in the development and formulations - etymolygy to phenomics. I suppose being a computer science boc, I like some sort of formal structure. Also nearly doing a PhD in computer linguistics helps. Alas I was lured into the private industry be the promise of bad pay...

sevenhelz
28.02.2005, 13:38
:P okay but as a child you cant learn to talk about, say, the past, until you understand what the past is!

aww bless the lil supermoderator... *pats*... *runs away*

yonhee
28.02.2005, 22:16
:P okay but as a child you cant learn to talk about, say, the past, until you understand what the past is!

aww bless the lil supermoderator... *pats*... *runs away*
The what?
No i didnt get any language on my pillow :( But why'd it come running out my ears?
I had a horrible english test though which was hard and weird and confusing.

sevenhelz
28.02.2005, 22:59
sorry, randomness on my part. what was your test on? did it have words in?

mikelyons
01.03.2005, 00:22
Can be accused of wordiness :p

sevenhelz
01.03.2005, 18:38
wasnt that a ^the person before... post?

tch, tch... adding random words now :P

mikelyons
01.03.2005, 18:40
The original complaint was about wordiness. I had to grit all my teeth out of shape in order to cut down my previous statement to the barest minimum capable of transmitting my meaning.

:p:p:p

sevenhelz
01.03.2005, 19:04
:clap::tup
xx

mikelyons
01.03.2005, 19:05
So pleased you approve :)

yonhee
01.03.2005, 19:27
sorry, randomness on my part. what was your test on? did it have words in?
Yeh it did how unfair!it was a comprehension an it was hard :(
AN today i had to do the writing test an we only had 20 mins for it when we were ment to have 30 grr stupid teacher.

sevenhelz
01.03.2005, 21:09
:eek::(

:clap::p
xx

yonhee
01.03.2005, 21:32
:eek::(

:clap::p
xx
i dont follow...

sevenhelz
01.03.2005, 22:49
see, needs words. nasty test, well done, was basically all i was trying to say.
xx

yonhee
01.03.2005, 22:52
see, needs words. nasty test, well done, was basically all i was trying to say.
xx

ugh but still it doesnt need big words....

MoominDave
24.04.2005, 11:19

k x

Sorry.

Naomi McFadyen
24.04.2005, 11:22
I wudnt complain about having too many words on here...... I'd complain there are too many BIG words on here that we dont know what they mean... they aren't in the dictionary.... and half the time, people dont know what they are on about.... or be remarkably randomly random, and babble on about a load of stuff which then, has nothing to do with the thread, or go on and on and on about stuff which is really pathetic....

:) ;)

MoominDave
24.04.2005, 11:24
I don't know who you're talking about :dunno

Naomi McFadyen
24.04.2005, 11:26
. . . u assuming I'm on about you?!

No.... never assume.... I'm tlaking about a LOT of people, in general....

;)

:p

MoominDave
24.04.2005, 11:28
Really? Then I must try harder!

On second thoughts, I might go and clean the kitchen. Displacement activity is a wonderful thing...

Naomi McFadyen
24.04.2005, 11:38
Try harder?....

Nah.... there's a lot of people on this forum remember.....

Besides, if you say you're gonna TRY something... you will not suceed.....

mikelyons
24.04.2005, 14:11
I'm quite happy to wear this particular hat. I don't mind using long words so I can show off the vocabulary which my aunt spent so many years pounding into my head.

Naomi McFadyen
24.04.2005, 18:23
Can you put definations in bracets when you do it please? :biggrin: Cos words in word association thread are hard to follow sometimes... some of the words aren't in the dictionary :p

mikelyons
24.04.2005, 22:19
Can you put definations in bracets when you do it please? :biggrin: Cos words in word association thread are hard to follow sometimes... some of the words aren't in the dictionary :p

Given that it's actually definitions, brackets and because , I think you had better get a new dictionary. :p

That's gonna take ages and slow down my post rate :(

Naomi McFadyen
25.04.2005, 00:51
tough.... :p

I use dictionary.com by the way........... besides, you should learn to type quicker :p do you a whole lotta good ;)

TIMBONE
25.04.2005, 01:36

Why say it in a sentence, when you can say it in a paragraph?

PeterBale
25.04.2005, 01:40
tough.... :p

I use dictionary.com by the way........... besides, you should learn to type quicker :p do you a whole lotta good ;)
Or even "more quickly" :oops:

drummergurl
25.04.2005, 11:41
i fort it were quicker??? :confused: :rolleyes:

sevenhelz
26.04.2005, 00:02
i believe you'll find that is grammatically incorrect.
but i'm all for variety and individualism :P

Naomi McFadyen
26.04.2005, 04:04
Or even "more quickly" :oops:

hmmmmm......

......same thing :p

:dunno :hammer

mikelyons
26.04.2005, 19:47
not at all.

DublinBass
28.04.2005, 23:08
This thread disgusts me...as there are way too many words in it!!!

Look what you've done Kelly, just added to the problem!!!

:p

mikelyons
28.04.2005, 23:49
I am drunk enough to have misread the title of this thread to read "a compliant", but sober enough to wonder "a compliant what?"

DublinBass
29.04.2005, 03:50
^ Perhaps you should view the thread http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13717 ;-)

mikelyons
29.04.2005, 11:59
^should be aware that <-- very rarely gets a hangover.

cornetshell
30.04.2005, 15:54
???!! I am suffering extreme pericombobluation after reading this thread.....

:confused: