PDA

View Full Version : Members and Guests

stevetrom
10.02.2005, 14:51
Just noticed that at present (or at least when i looked) there are currently 32 members logged on and 37 guests.

Apart from the occassional browser, why would anyone visis tMp if they are not interested in brass dands, and if they are interested in brass bands then why would they not register as a member and join in the fun !

NeilW
10.02.2005, 14:58
I can only speak for myself on this...

At home, I run with my browser set to discard cookies when I end the session. Thus I don't auto-logon to tMp, and hence show up as a guest.

The same is true on the "shared Internet" access machines at work - cookies are destroyed at the end of the session.

I think you're probably seeing members who haven't bothered to log on in that session...

Neil.

stevetrom
10.02.2005, 14:59
I can only speak for myself on this...

At home, I run with my browser set to discard cookies when I end the session. Thus I don't auto-logon to tMp, and hence show up as a guest.

The same is true on the "shared Internet" access machines at work - cookies are destroyed at the end of the session.

I think you're probably seeing members who haven't bothered to log on in that session...

Neil.

That makes some sense - thanks

IckleSop
10.02.2005, 15:51
Guests should Still join up!!!!,

Roger Thorne
10.02.2005, 18:56
The different search engine spiders (Google etc) also show up as guests, and in recent weeks we've had loads of different spiders searching the forum so this may account for a large proportion of guest visitors.

;)

yonhee
10.02.2005, 19:18
The different search engine spiders (Google etc) also show up as guests, and in recent weeks we've had loads of different spiders searching the forum so this may account for a large proportion of guest visitors.

;)
Why are the spiders searching us?

PeterBale
10.02.2005, 19:22
They just drop in for a "fly"ing visit ;) :D :oops:

brasscrest
10.02.2005, 19:26
Usually because the pages are being indexed into search engines.

In the case of the Google spiders, you might notice that there are "Ads by Gooooogle" boxes on many of the pages. This is part of a program that John joined where content-specific advertising is added to the page from Google, so Google looks at the page and analyzes the words to determine which ads will be displayed. Some of the Google spiders are probably doing this.

(By the way, if you want to help support tMP, but can't afford to subscribe or buy a banner ad, just click on an ad or two from time to time. :) )

Di
10.02.2005, 20:04

Oooh, there's a whole discussion on Google Spinders here. (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12043&highlight=google+spiders)

HBB
10.02.2005, 20:08
Aarrgh! Spiders :cry:

TheMusicMan
27.03.2005, 08:23
Just as an aside, and in response to a post made by alanl58 in this thread - http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13297 - Guests can view all threads etc but are unable to reply to any of them - except that they can reply to posts made in this forum category http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=32.

Guests have always been allowed to view the content on tMP Alan, I don't see the point of setting permissions any other way. tMP is viewable by all and postable/replyable by members only. In other words, people can read everything that is posted in the public areas of tMP, and if they want to have their say on those (or any other) matters, then all I ask is that they register with us.:biggrin:

I noted earlier that there were eight members and 38 guests viewing the Forum.....

Is it not about time that the "guests" were restricted to topic titles only, and the contents only available for "members" to see, thus encouraging "guests" to join in, even as viewers?

Only a thought.......

alanl58