PDA

View Full Version : Preston Contest Results

WoodenFlugel
06.02.2005, 19:11
Brass at the Guild (Preston) contest results.

News just in:

From Lottie4744....

Championship section:

1st: Alliance Brass
2nd: Pemberton Old Wigan
3rd: Wingates
--------------------

From Rachel (sparkling_quavers)....

2nd Section:

1st Borshurst
2nd Flixton
3rd Hebden Bridge
--------------------

From sterlingsop...

3rd Section:

1st Nelson
2nd Trinity Girls
3rd Middleton
--------------------

and courtesy of kate_the_horn...

4th Section:

1st Oldham Band
2nd Rivington & Adlington
3rd Formby
---------------------

Youth section:

1. St Helens Youth
2. Northop Youth
3. Pemberton Old Wigan Youth
----------------------

Well done to all of the winning bands. Thanks for the various updates folks - much appreciated :tup

sterlingsop
06.02.2005, 20:21
The 3rd section results are: 1st Nelson, 2nd Trinity Girls and 3rd Us (Middleton) :) . The soloist prize went to the top man at Nelson (I think)

notsosilentbob
06.02.2005, 20:28
We won the fourth section, 2 clear points I think (might be wrong on that, had a few jars) :o

Get in there Oldham Band (Lees)!

Just got back, our 2nd ever contest and a great day all round.

Our Soprano player also won Best Soloist so hats off to him for a magnificent performance.

:p

Congrats to all winners from each section.

rickcowens2005
06.02.2005, 21:13
3rd's not bad also winning best soloist prize grant on princ cornet,didnt play asgood as at uppermill contest but its a good push for the band heading to the areas! well done to flixton exelent result! hot faverets for the areas!! anyone know the full results for all sections?

lottie4744
06.02.2005, 21:39
Go Flixton

Championship section:

1st: Alliance Brass
2nd: Pemberton Old Wigan
3rd: Wingates

drummergurl
06.02.2005, 22:15
yay... wlel dpne 2 every1 who got int prizes, n every1 who played,. im sure u all polaying well

aimee_euph
06.02.2005, 22:40
yay! go St Helens!

Well done to everyone though my mummy says everyone played fabulous!

but....especially Paulos!!!!! yay!

euphfanhan
06.02.2005, 23:14
yay... wlel dpne 2 every1 who got int prizes, n every1 who played,. im sure u all polaying well

somebodys a bit drunk...

Bazza
06.02.2005, 23:25
Come on Middleton!! we did ourselves proud, especially playin Purcell Variations!! Chins up!! I was very impressed with our performance!! too bad for some of our members apparently gettin barred from Yates, mentionin no names, Kev!!! Brilliant day!! Playin at 10 o'clock in the mornin takes its tole tho!! congrats to the other winnin bands in our section :)

drummergurl
06.02.2005, 23:28
somebodys a bit drunk...

ahem... *cough*... yes

HorniKaz
06.02.2005, 23:51
Just wanted to say a big WELL DONE to my new pals at Flixton!

Naomi McFadyen
07.02.2005, 00:50
Well done to all the prize winners! (especially Flixton, who had a slight WHOOOOPS situation at the end.... played superb!!!!) :D
I had a very good day... helped Blackburn out who got a very fair and respectable 9th placing... saw LOADS of people I knew so was good to say hey and catch up.... heard some bands in second and top section, whch was cool....

Full results on 4BR btw...

jonford
07.02.2005, 01:17
Well done to everyone. Interesting results! What did the bands play?

Naomi McFadyen
07.02.2005, 01:18
Well done to everyone. Interesting results! What did the bands play?
Ive just told u some on msn! :P

jonford
07.02.2005, 01:19
Ive just told u some on msn! :P

Yeh I want to know the rest!

Brian Kelly
07.02.2005, 01:37
Congratulations to the winners in all sections!

Thank you for the kind comments about our (Flixton's) performance.

We played "Renaissance"

Boarshurst played "Diamond Heritage"

Hoover (Bolton) played "Variations for Brass Band"

Blackpool Brass played "Trittico"

Vernon Building Society Poynton also played "Trittico"

Wingates played "Dances and Arias"

Nelson Brass played "Tam O'Shanter's Ride"

Parr (Richardson Ltd) St Helens played "Facets of Glass"

They are the only pieces I heard or know of

notsosilentbob
07.02.2005, 09:07
Oldham Band (Lees) played Divertimento, the 4th Section Area Test Piece.

PS - Nice to see Facets of Glass getting an airing, cracking piece!

Colin K
07.02.2005, 10:31
Pemberton played "Variations on an enigma"

sterlingsop
07.02.2005, 10:36
Middleton played Purcell Variations (blinding performance if I say so myself!), Eccleston played Tam O'Shanters Ride, Greenfield played Oceans and I heard one band (very sorry, I forgot who you are!) played Call Of (To?) The Righteous. Never heard of piece before and the announcer kinda burbled the title so I didn't catch it properly. Nice piece though! As for other sections, I think Blackburn played Essence of Time and Alliance played Rienzi.

Hats off to Alliance, well done boys. Sheer class John - I stand in awe!!

HorniKaz
07.02.2005, 10:42
2nd Section bands played the following:

Blackpool Brass - Trittico (James Curnow)
Boarshurst Silver - Diamond Heritage (Darrol Barry)
Elland Silver - Variations for Brass Band (Vaughan Williams)
Flimby Saxhorn Band - Variations for Brass Band (Vaughan Williams)
Flixton - Renaissance (Peter Graham)
Greenalls - Kaleidoscope (Philip Sparke)
Hebden Bridge - Royal Parks (George Lloyd)
Hesketh Bank - Connotations (Edward Gregson)
Hoover (Bolton) - Variations for Brass Band (Vaughan Williams)
Pilling Jubilee Silver - Tam O'Shanter's Ride (Denis Wright)
Rainford - The Call Of The Righteous (don't know who its by!!!!)
Royal Buckley Town - Variations on Laudate Dominum (Edward Gregson)
South Yorkshire Police - Sorry, don't know what they played!!

Daniel Sheard
07.02.2005, 11:04
Northop played Quintessence in the top section. We're pretty pleased with fourth especially as our percussion section was taken out by 'flu and we had to do an emergency borrow. Thanks to the two from Wingates who sightread for us.

Daniel

johnflugel
07.02.2005, 11:09
Well done to all the prize winners - never realised so many bands went to this contest!

What did Alliance and the other 'top' section bands play?

lewis
07.02.2005, 11:45
Well done to all the prize winners - never realised so many bands went to this contest!

What did Alliance and the other 'top' section bands play?

Look up three posts!!!!!

It would be nice if anybody knew what all the others bands in the section played though!?

AndyCat
07.02.2005, 11:56
We (Freckleton) played Diversions on a Bass Theme, with no upsets or major mistakes, so are disapointed (to say the least) with our 14th placing!

PeterBale
07.02.2005, 13:32
2nd Section bands played the following:

Rainford - The Call Of The Righteous (don't know who its by!!!!)

Leslie Condon ;)

horn1
07.02.2005, 13:57
We (poynton) played trittico, which went very well. Very pleased with our 6th place!

HorniKaz
07.02.2005, 14:47
Leslie Condon ;)

Cheers! Very short for a test piece though!!!!!

Maz
07.02.2005, 15:24
Who cares what all the bands played - did you see the freebie stuff that World of Brass were giving away? Lil cute wallet size packs of mints with World of Brass on them - how fab!

BOC mints!!!

Brilliant advertising!

iancwilx
07.02.2005, 15:36
We (Kippax) played "Prisms" (Peter Graham) in Section "A"
We had to go on with only 3 Basses as one of our BBb's was taken ill on Saturday night, so we were OK with 13th - well done all Soloists.
Some cracking performances in the Top Section - Well done to ALL the bands.
A great contest in a great venue.
- Wilky

NAS
07.02.2005, 16:41
Cheers! Very short for a test piece though!!!!!

Your right it is pretty short, but its got everything that most other test pieces have... a nice middle movement, a cheesy section and technically demanding section.
Qualtiy piece, it would be great to see more bands use it:-D

ps. heard that Hoover played well!

matti_raz
07.02.2005, 17:17
Ray Payne supplies percusion for all major nw events plus the nationals!!!
He's a really nice guy, but he needs to sort his gong, we had problems in Rhyll Playing Firebird!!!!!!!:rolleyes: TUT!!!!

HorniKaz
07.02.2005, 18:08
ps. heard that Hoover played well!

Thanks. They did! I was sat in the audience chewing my nails but I was really proud - one or two slightly iffy bits but generally - AWESOME- but not good enough. Bring on Blackpool

Lucky Beaver
07.02.2005, 18:32
In case anyone's still interested (and hopefully my memory is ok!):

Champ Section -
Longridge - Essence of Time
Tintwistle - Ballet for Band
Hade Edge - Rienzi
Derwent Brass - Rienzi
Riddings - Journey Into Freedom

2nd Section -
South Yorkshire Police - Variations for Brass Band

4th Section -
Rivington & Adlington - Divertimento

Well done to all but particular congrats to some lovely sop playing from Oldham Band, Trinity Girls, South Yorks Police and Riddings.

bigmamabadger
07.02.2005, 20:15
OMG, we barfed it, totally, utterly, completely and in a humiliating fashion. Thankfully we were on at some ungodly hour in the morning and only had about 6 spectators.

I can only hope the band can take it as a kick up the **** and get their fingers out for Blackpool. Otherwise I will be attending Blackpool disguised as a Dementor.

It truly was an embarrassment and I did not wear my purple badger-wings in protest.
Embarrassed Badger.
xx

Brian Kelly
07.02.2005, 21:11
Your right it is pretty short, but its got everything that most other test pieces have... a nice middle movement, a cheesy section and technically demanding section.
Qualtiy piece, it would be great to see more bands use it:-D

Don't forget that it was not written as a test piece either. Like "Renaissance", "Variations on Laudate Dominum", "Quintessence", and other Salvation Army pieces now being used in contests, it was originally written for concert use.

stotty74
07.02.2005, 22:40
Northop played Quintessence in the top section. We're pretty pleased with fourth especially as our percussion section was taken out by 'flu and we had to do an emergency borrow. Thanks to the two from Wingates who sightread for us.

And Northop Youth gave a very good performance of 'Music for a Festival' by Philip Sparke. And to think i wasn't going to let the band play this until this time next year!! Really looking forward to the Youth Championships at RNCM and Pontins now.

Totally gobsmacked with the Seniors!! Was convinced we'd have been lucky not to have been placed last when i came off stage (maybe thats because of the expectations in the bandroom now!!). Confidence (and expectations) for Swansea now very high!!

Great day for everyone at Northop

dyl
07.02.2005, 23:09
Great day for everyone at Northop

And a huge congratulations to you from everyone at Deiniolen.

All the best for the Areas - let's hope both of us have a result to celebrate back at the hotel (which I believe both bands are sharing on the Saturday night!)

stotty74
08.02.2005, 00:15
All the best for the Areas - let's hope both of us have a result to celebrate back at the hotel (which I believe both bands are sharing on the Saturday night!)

So i've heard - should be VERY interesting :guiness:guiness:guiness

Good luck to you aswell, i'm sure you'll do well with Gav leading you!!

drummergurl
08.02.2005, 00:20
st helens youth played essay by edward gregson.

congrats to all who played in the youth section, as john maines said "the 4th section could learn a few things from the playing in the youth section" (well it went something like that)

huge congrats to formby brass who came 3rd in the 4th section, and it was their first contest!

yeah well done to everyone!

great to see loadsa people around too (didnt see any purple spangly wings tho bmb!!!)

oh and ignore anything i posted yesterday :oops:

NAS
08.02.2005, 10:42
Don't forget that it was not written as a test piece either. Like "Renaissance", "Variations on Laudate Dominum", "Quintessence", and other Salvation Army pieces now being used in contests, it was originally written for concert use.

I realise that being ex SA myself:-D. Just saying call of the righteous is a good test (as are all the above pieces):-D.

hellraiser
08.02.2005, 11:39
I was helping Llanrug and we played Comedy Overture.

Lauradoll
08.02.2005, 13:52
Who cares what all the bands played - did you see the freebie stuff that World of Brass were giving away? Lil cute wallet size packs of mints with World of Brass on them - how fab!

BOC mints!!!

Brilliant advertising!

Bring on the BOC mints. They look fabtastic on my mantlepiece.

sparkling_quavers
08.02.2005, 14:14
I can't believe i missed out on BOC mints! :frown: maybe I will have to make sure I get around to visiting the trade stalls before they close. We didn't play till just after 4 so my the time I had had a drink (or 2..) all the stalls were shutting. I missed AndyCat as well! DOH

bandcampgal
08.02.2005, 15:27
our Youth band played Summer Fantasy by Kees Schoonbeek (or summat like that) no1 i talk 2 knows the piece, but its 1 iv played many times over the years!

As sum1 sed, we played Variations on an Enigma. me and pete on solo horn mustv played a bit too hard on the last note cos wen we finished we both nearly fainted! Ooops! Congrats to Jamie Ogden from our band on winning soloist prize! i told him he would but he dint believe me!

becks164
08.02.2005, 16:16
we didnt play as good as i thought we could play and kate the horn would say the same maybe but hey we gave it our best shot!! well done barton lol

kate_the_horn
08.02.2005, 16:55
BMB lies, she forgot her wings!!

and beck is right, we didn't play terrible, ubt we can do a lot better!

come on barnton!!

:D

kel x

Edwarrdz
09.02.2005, 12:50
Well Done to The Oldham Band (Lees)

Nice to see them back on the scene after a prolonged abscence!

Off to winning ways too, lets hope they continue at The Winter Gardens!!

I wish I was in ?______?

The Wizard
09.02.2005, 14:11
Congrats to Poulton le Fylde Band on their 5th place in the top section. Well deserved. All the best for the area.

Steve Hartley

blueorange
09.02.2005, 15:28
Well done Oldham Band (Lees). :clap:

Bring on Blackpool!!

Brian Kelly
09.02.2005, 23:21
I realise that being ex SA myself:-D. Just saying call of the righteous is a good test (as are all the above pieces):-D.

I agree, it is a great test and one of my favourite SA pieces of music. My comment was intended as an explanation of why it is a short piece by normal test piece standards.

vonny
14.02.2005, 14:18
May I take this opportunity to congratulate members of The Middleton Band, on gaining 3rd place... 'Purcell Variations' is by far a difficult piece to play - well done!!!

Yvonne
solo cornet
Eccles Borough Band

Bazza
14.02.2005, 21:55
May I take this opportunity to congratulate members of The Middleton Band, on gaining 3rd place... 'Purcell Variations' is by far a difficult piece to play - well done!!!

Yvonne
solo cornet
Eccles Borough Band

thankyou, thats really nice of you, it definately is a really hard piece to play but we made a good job of it and didnt show ourselves up at all!! we like a challenge!! bring on Tam O'Shanters Ride! Blackpool here we come!! lets hope we can do aswell on that!