PDA

View Full Version : Silent Brass

spookybiking
30.11.2002, 21:38
Just recieved it today and its great good piece of musical equipment

What your thought about it???????

Keppler
30.11.2002, 21:47
I've been thinking about getting one of these..
would it be an improvement on my trusty practice mute?

spookybiking
30.11.2002, 21:56
they are good and u can hear your playing in more detail

Keppler
30.11.2002, 22:00
they are good and u can hear you playing in more detail

oh god.. you're talking like that's a good thing! ;)

spookybiking
30.11.2002, 22:05
I payed 95 for mine trombone one for horn and my mate from another company paid 90 and that is a cornet one.

Anonymous
01.12.2002, 07:06
I bought a euphonium Silent Brass a couple years ago. Just the mute, as my daughter already had the trumpet and Flugel mutes and the electronics. I haven't used it in quite some time. I found it didn't respond well to the lowest register. Now they've changed Silent Brass, and I understand the electronics are closer to a little studio, with effects.

The guy who plays bass trombone in our orchestra uses his SB mute as a straight mute for practice. I'm not sure he's ever plugged it in.

Highams
01.12.2002, 11:26
I have had the SB euphonium mute for some time, and now only use it about once a month as a sort of 'refresher' to hear the sound close up and dry.
I much prefer the Dennis Wick practice mute which can really ring when played true.
The SB is good for the various acoustics and direct recording but the weight on balance are problem.
( This is on a Willson 2900 )

spookybiking
01.12.2002, 15:30
I've heard they make a Tenor Horn ( Where would i find out about them)

Aidan
10.10.2003, 12:41
see!!! the beeper has gone mad!!! its beeped the si-lent out of si-lent brass!!!!!

asteria
10.10.2003, 17:42
I asked around about silent brass once and was told there is no specific tenor horn one made but the trombone one fits fine.

Never bought one in the end, couldn't afford it so just got a practice mute instead. From what i'm told the silent brass works as well as a practice mute, unless you have the reverberance on church mode all the time!

Think the *beepety* *beep*ing *beep*er is fixed now! :)

On the Horn
10.10.2003, 18:04
I use the french horn one - fits fine and works for me , dont know if its much different from the trombone one or not.

horn1
10.10.2003, 21:19
I have the trombone one. I find it very useful for warming up, practising late on etc. but if you use it all the time it can effect your sound.

Darth_Tuba
10.10.2003, 22:18
I used to have one for in halls, but sold it in the end and bought one of the little wallace collection jobbies. They're quite good, but I always had CBA setting up the headphones etc. Beware putting it on "church mode" and thinking you sound great! :wink:

tewkeshorn
10.10.2003, 22:52
I've been wanting to get this system for years and all the advertising sounds great, but my main problem is the neighbours (we have thin walls and floors!), the advertising says that you can't hear anything unless you're plugged in but surely that's rubbish?? Especially if some people use them as practice mutes (and they must be able to hear without plugging it all in!)

Keppler
11.10.2003, 01:25
you'd be amazed at how much practice mutes actually do dampen. When you're playing it, I find I actually feel more through the vibrations than hear the sound.
Yes it is audible, but my apartment also has very thin walls, and I've been told I can't be heard.

Naomi McFadyen
11.10.2003, 03:03
practise mutes are very effective- I have friends who have them and they're really quiet... I need to get hold of one someday... (and no, not to stick in my drum kit! :P)

leisa
11.10.2003, 09:30
ive got one i just dont use it anymore!

blue euph
11.10.2003, 20:35
I have a silent brass mute for my euphonium. They're ok if you're in a college dorm situation if you don't have access to the music buidling and a practice room. The main thing that I hate about it is its like you are dealing with a bunch of wires (ac adapter if you use it, the wire that hooks up from the mute to the modual headphones, metronome if you plug it in to the modual). If they made one that's wireless that would be cool. As somebody metioned earlier, the low register doesn't speak to well with the mute.

I hardly use mine nowdays except occasionaly I use just the mute as a practice mute.

lynchie
11.10.2003, 22:52
i've got a good old denis wick practice mute. i heard the SB system didn't give you the same advantages in tone and breathing as a traditional practice mute so I'm a bit wary of splashing out all that money...

Railybobs
12.10.2003, 08:12
I guess the Tuba version will be big. But why can't these smart gits invent one for percussion. You know a kinda box type thing that you get a crane in and lower it down over the player so that you can't hear him.

or would that just be an answer to prayer ! ! ! ! ! :D

Seedhouse
22.10.2003, 11:20
I've got a Euph one, alright for when you can't practice without it- i.e. make too much noise. I just find sometimes it can get quite annoying avoiding the wires, and the sound can get distorted a tad at times. Other than that i've found it a really useful buy, for those times when I need to practice but cant- hotels etc.

Emb_Enh
22.10.2003, 11:55
Yes they are very handy...but...on the down-side, they alter your AIR projection thru the instrument giving you a false impression of ther REAL back pressure [or lack of it!] from your instrument. This in turn then affects your mpc pressure levels/control over intonation. I personally would'nt use one as a main form of practice.

Seedhouse
22.10.2003, 12:45
Agreed.

Mike Saville
22.10.2003, 15:25
I remember posting on this topic before - can't find it now however . . .

The point is that there is a fundamental difference between a Denis Wick Practice Mute and a Silent Brass System. The Silent Brass System is designed to make you quieter when you practice, whilst also enabling you to hear yourself clearly. Here's the difference - a DW Practice Mute is NOT designed to make you quieter when you practice. The DW Practice mute is a great practice device when used correctly. When you put the correct amount of air through the instrument (and therefore the mute) the end of the mute will start to buzz. Play with this buzzing sound for any length of time and you will feel your diaphragm/embouchure/breathing really start to work.

I know this from first hand experience with Mr Wick himself. :)

Emb_Enh
22.10.2003, 15:30
The danger of course in adding ANY mute to the end of your instrument for pro-longed periods is that it changes the blow pattern, and for the less able player results in greater mpc pressure [bad news] and ultimately a myriad of other problems as the OVERALL playing equation is out of balance.

Mike Saville
22.10.2003, 15:45
The danger of course in adding ANY mute to the end of your instrument for pro-longed periods is that it changes the blow pattern, and for the less able player results in greater mpc pressure [bad news] and ultimately a myriad of other problems as the OVERALL playing equation is out of balance.

I agree to an extent with this - however if you do a lot f Jazz/Big Band/Studio stuff then you need to be comfortable playing with a Cup/Bucket Mute for several numbers in a row . .. .

Not sure I agree with the MP pressure bit. This may be true of some students but with the proper guidance this should not be the case.

Of course in practice terms you are correct in that by using a practice mute you are addressing only some areas of technique (breathing and support). This should be balanced by unmuted pratice of all other areas of technique.

rdouglas1976
22.10.2003, 17:09
I have both a Dennis Wick practice mute and a silent brass system for my trumpet. I found the SB kit very useful when I was staying in hotels but didnt really use it again until now as I have just moved house and dont want to annoy the neighbours just yet!

The Dennis Wick mute does have the advantage of expanding your sound and power. If you do use it for loud practice you will be suprised how much easier it is to play louder without that horrid razzing sound, as it does tend to open up the throat muscles more. I would definitely reccomend it if you are thinking of playing in Berlioz's Requiem!!!!! :D

CaharleyFarley
29.10.2003, 20:57
"When you put the correct amount of air through the instrument (and therefore the mute) the end of the mute will start to buzz. "

Erm..I often use the DW practise mute - but can't say I have ever heard the end of the mute "buzzing". Does this mean that I never get the right amount of air going through the instrument? OMG this is disaster!!

How loud is the buzzing noise?

I feel a vibration through the cornet.....does that count?

neiltwist
29.10.2003, 21:14
"When you put the correct amount of air through the instrument (and therefore the mute) the end of the mute will start to buzz. "

Erm..I often use the DW practise mute - but can't say I have ever heard the end of the mute "buzzing". Does this mean that I never get the right amount of air going through the instrument? OMG this is disaster!!

How loud is the buzzing noise?

I feel a vibration through the cornet.....does that count?

you need to blow a lot louder into the practice mute, you'll know when it starts buzzing!

Mike Saville
30.10.2003, 00:30
you need to blow a lot louder into the practice mute, you'll know when it starts buzzing!

Do what the man said! :D