PDA

View Full Version : Which Baritone?

Accidental
19.01.2005, 12:39
Just switched from my own lovely two year old maestro horn old with fab valves to a dodgy old band bari..... need to do some serious shopping so I'm after some recommendations please!

Last time I played bari (10-15 yrs ago) I got a new Sovereign after trying out Sterling, Courtois & Yamaha (4 valve). Have any of them changed significantly? What are the 4 valve Sov's like? Help!

(and the horn's not for sale, sorry! ;) )

DublinBass
19.01.2005, 13:29
Just switched from my own lovely two year old maestro horn old with fab valves to a dodgy old band bari..... need to do some serious shopping so I'm after some recommendations please!

Last time I played bari (10-15 yrs ago) I got a new Sovereign after trying out Sterling, Courtois & Yamaha (4 valve). Have any of them changed significantly? What are the 4 valve Sov's like? Help!

I personally like the Yamaha four valver as that's what I had gotten used to. The Yahama has quite different pitch tendencies than the courtois and sovereign (which are similar)...either way its just a matter of getting used to it.

On my yamaha the valves are quite good too. It seems though that many bands in the UK like the sound of the sovereign/courtois better. They have a slightly smaller bore, but bigger bell, which I guess is better for playing louder, but (in my opinion) does have as nice a tone.

Mrs Womble
19.01.2005, 13:39

I have tried the 4 valve sov out and found it was very heavy to hold, I didn't use the 4th valve cos I kept forgetting it was there.

At the moment i'm playing a 3 valved Besson (sovereign) with a smaller Bell then I'm used to but the valves are like a dream, they are so light and springy it's lovely to play.

Hope this helps

brasscrest
19.01.2005, 15:50
Currently using a 4-valve Yamaha, which is much, much freer blowing than the 20-year-old Sov I used to play. Intonation is quite a bit different, but not worse, just took somoe getting used to.

We have had some rather serious valve issues, however. We have two Yamahas that were both purchased in the fall of 2001 (consecutive serial numbers). Both have issues with the second and third valves failing to come up when playing. This was diagnosed as a flaw with the pressure on the valve failing to dissipate properly when it was released (like when you pull your slide out withour pressing down on the valve, and it "pops", but in reverse). The tolerances are almost too tight. After considerable work, they are OK now, as long as they are kept very clean. My understanding is that Yamaha has corrected this problem in newer instruments.

baritone boy
25.04.2005, 19:00
I play a 3 valve sov at present but i used to play on 4 for different band much better just looking at investing myself ( the weight is heavier but i found negliable)

ian perks
25.04.2005, 21:06
I will only ever play Soverign Baritones have owned 3 in total over the years and if another new model came out i would get that one:clap: