PDA

View Full Version : More Options... tMP releases another User style

TheMusicMan
11.12.2004, 11:08
http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/tmpnews.gif Yet More Options... tMP releases another User style..:)

Some of you may have noticed that we have been testing some functionality on tMP during these last few days... well... this was because we have been trying out and configuring a new alternative style that is available now as an alternative to the default and tMP303 styles. This latest style has a bright, fresh look and appeal and as such have decided to called it 'Clean' and we hope it will add to your viewing pleasure.

The 'Clean' style is selectable from the drop down menu at the bottom of all tMP screens and you can also set this as your default theme within your USerCP if you wish.

If you have any suggestions as to how we could improve this style we'd love to hear from you so please contact myself or indeed any member of the tMP team and as ever, we will make the ncessary amendments.

Enjoy...

Pookiyama
11.12.2004, 11:27
I like it.

TheMusicMan
11.12.2004, 11:29
Many thanks... glad you do...:tup

Cornishwomble
11.12.2004, 11:49
Really like this one, took a minute or 2 to get used to it but I think I'll stick with it for a while

Jan H
11.12.2004, 12:41
I've just been trying out this new them, and it looks realy nice (although I'm not so fond of the fixed page width on my big, high resolution screen ;) )

Only one small question: How do I get to the Articles section with the new theme? Im the tMP theme, there is a button at the top and a link at the bottom...

super_sop
11.12.2004, 12:53
I've just been trying out this new them, and it looks realy nice (although I'm not so fond of the fixed page width on my big, high resolution screen ;) )

Only one small question: How do I get to the Articles section with the new theme? Im the tMP theme, there is a button at the top and a link at the bottom...
i like it to, but as Jan says it does look a bit thin when yo have a nice new 17 tft screen. can this be changed?

TheMusicMan
11.12.2004, 13:19
Jan: re Articles.... oops...!!! I overlooked including that link... I will add this later for you. However, I still have to make several amendments to the Arcade System so that it will work with this style.

Jan & Super_Sop: I will be including a full-width version of this new 'Clean' style within a few days, which I am certain will look great on your large resolution monitors.

Hows that!!!?? :)

Jan H
11.12.2004, 13:39
Jan: re Articles.... oops...!!! I overlooked including that link... I will add this later for you. However, I still have to make several amendments to the Arcade System so that it will work with this style.

Jan & Super_Sop: I will be including a full-width version of this new 'Clean' style within a few days, which I am certain will look great on your large resolution monitors.
Thanks for the quick respons John! The new theme looks fantastic! Of course I only wanted to help you, by pointing out a few (minor) problems that I noticed... I'm always availbale if you need a beta-tester for new tMP features :biggrin::wink:

TheMusicMan
11.12.2004, 13:52
You're welcome Jan... always happy to receive feedback...:tup thanks for this.

super_sop
11.12.2004, 14:03

Hows that!!!?? :) Fantastic service as usuall:metal:

brasscrest
11.12.2004, 14:10
Very nice. Fixed-width is OK for me, since I'm generally running my browser in a smallish window (multitasking, oooo!)

Brian Bowen
11.12.2004, 14:54
I think I'll stick with the default style for the time being. The Clean style glares too much for me (background is too white).

BUT can we have the the contributors' details back on the left side where they used to be, please (i.e. not horizontal across the top as now)? I prefer the resulting narrower column article width for easier reading.

TheMusicMan
11.12.2004, 14:58
BUT can we have the the contributors' details back on the left side where they used to be, please (i.e. not horizontal across the top as now)? I prefer the resulting narrower column article width for easier reading.
Hi Brian

I made a change to the way the code work yesterday that now allows users to select where they want this users information displayed. By default it is at the top but you can change this by doing the following;

UserCP>Edit Options>Thread Display Options>User Information Layout>Choose "Top" or "Left" from pull-down menu

That should do it for you.

Brian Bowen
11.12.2004, 15:05
It works, John -- thanks!

MRSH
11.12.2004, 16:30
I think this new look is quite cool,:clap: but I'm afraid I just cannot use it.

Y'see - the 'themouthpiece.com' logo at the top doesn't have a christmas hat - and that just isn't right :-):o

I feel rather naked without it:biggrin:

TheMusicMan
11.12.2004, 16:43
hehe MSRH... I was workign on that earlier with Mr Dyl... however we ran out of time before we could update the logo. it will be done before nightfall..ish... :)

Will you use it then...??

MRSH
11.12.2004, 18:06
hehe MSRH... I was workign on that earlier with Mr Dyl... however we ran out of time before we could update the logo. it will be done before nightfall..ish... :)

Will you use it then...?? Possibly. I do like the look of it although, like has been said earlier in the thread, a wider version to fill up the screen a bit more would top it off. But, hey, fantastic job, John. Well appreciated. :D:tup:lol:

Cheers.

TheMusicMan
11.12.2004, 18:46
There you go... one tMP Christmasified logo for ya!

Oh and I am expecting delivery of the fullscreen version of this style soon. As soon as I have it I will install, test and release...:tup

MRSH
11.12.2004, 19:31
There you go... one tMP Christmasified logo for ya!

Oh and I am expecting delivery of the fullscreen version of this style soon. As soon as I have it I will install, test and release...:tup Phew!! I feel fully clothed again. Thanks John. ;):D

I'm gonna give this 'Clean' style a go. See how I get on with it. It certainly is very easy on the eye - which I s'pose will help all the late night, drink induced posters ;):cool:.

MRSH
11.12.2004, 19:45
Quick question about the 'Clean' layout.

In the tmp '3.03' layout at the bottom right hand corner of every post in a thread there is a lttle box that, if you click on it, will take you back to the top of the page. But it isn't on the 'Clean' layout?:( Is it something that's gonna be added 'cos that is so useful?

Cheers

TheMusicMan
11.12.2004, 21:37
I will see if I can add that function...:)

HBB
11.12.2004, 21:53
I asked tMM about that too! Great minds think alike :shock:

MRSH
11.12.2004, 22:16
I will see if I can add that function...:) Cheers, John :tup

I asked tMM about that too! Great minds think alike :shock: Scary :-):cool:

HBB
11.12.2004, 23:20
:cry: Not Nice :cry:

MRSH
11.12.2004, 23:31
:cry: Not Nice :cry: Ooooh. No offence. I actually meant it was scary the thought of me having a great mind :shock::shock:

Although it is scary that somebody thinks the same as I do :cool:

HBB
11.12.2004, 23:34
Sorry, I was only joking :shock: :)

euphfanhan
12.12.2004, 00:03
on the portal where's the link to the home page?

MRSH
12.12.2004, 00:06
Sorry, I was only joking :shock: :) No need to apologise. I did think you were joking. :cool::biggrin::)

TheMusicMan
12.12.2004, 00:24
on the portal where's the link to the home page?
Hi euphfanhan

You can see where the 'Home' button is in the screenshot in the areas I have made red... when you are on teh Home page this says 'Forum' and when you are on the Forum this says 'Home'. Hope that helps...

http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/home.gif

MRSH
12.12.2004, 01:07
I will see if I can add that function...:) John - You absolute hero. Thank you. I would like to say my life is now complete - but I can't. Although navigating tMP is far easier now.

So whilst I've been bored to my bones tonight (see Random thread) you've been working to make tMP even better. :clap::tup

Cheers.

HBB
12.12.2004, 01:09
WOw! THat's great! Nice one :) That's probably the most handy feature for ease of use! :tup :tup
:)

HBB
12.12.2004, 01:12
I'm loving the alt text John ...

DublinBass
12.12.2004, 01:16
Many of the quotes in the Default Style and Clean style seem to come out not separated from the rest of the text (like in reply #10 of this thread by super_sop).

Is that an error in the software or people just not using the quotes properly. I think I have had that problem when quoting others as well.

TheMusicMan
12.12.2004, 01:19
John - You absolute hero. Thank you. I would like to say my life is now complete - but I can't. Although navigating tMP is far easier now.

So whilst I've been bored to my bones tonight (see Random thread) you've been working to make tMP even better. :clap::tup

Cheers.
Hehe... have you seen the alt-text associated with that image MRSH...:):biggrin::biggrin:

MRSH
12.12.2004, 01:22
Hehe... have you seen the alt-text associated with that image MRSH...:):biggrin::biggrin: Yes I have John. Excellent stuff. :clap::tup:tup:tup:tup

TheMusicMan
12.12.2004, 01:23
Many of the quotes in the Default Style and Clean style seem to come out not separated from the rest of the text (like in reply #10 of this thread by super_sop).

Is that an error in the software or people just not using the quotes properly. I think I have had that problem when quoting others as well. Hi Pat

This is a bug somewhere in the software that to-date, not even vBulletin have been able to solve...:-? I have this registered as a bug with the designers too!!!

I am monitoring this issue for fixes as it is a real pain in the butt!! If you simply edit your post once you have submitted it, but do nothing to it and simply resave, for me anyhow this seems to resolve the quote issue and all then appears on the page as it should. Try it and see!

TuTuKu
12.12.2004, 01:57
I'm liking this new style, think we'll get on quite well together!

Excellent Stuff!!

Thank you!

Brian Bowen
12.12.2004, 02:03
Hi euphfanhan

You can see where the 'Home' button is in the screenshot in the areas I have made red... when you are on teh Home page this says 'Forum' and when you are on the Forum this says 'Home'. Hope that helps...

http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/home.gif John,
The point euphfanhan makes is exactly the problem I have with the default style (and have mentioned before). When I open tMP (with Firefox) the Portal appears but there is no direct way of accessing the Home page (or any other page) as the lower bar you show above is completely absent. (The top bar is nothing like you show either.) Am I the only one experiencing this problem?

TuTuKu
12.12.2004, 02:12
John,
The point euphfanhan makes is exactly the problem I have with the default style (and have mentioned before). When I open tMP (with Firefox) the Portal appears but there is no direct way of accessing the Home page (or any other page) as the lower bar you show above is completely absent. (The top bar is nothing like you show either.) Am I the only one experiencing this problem?No, I also had this problem with the default style.. only in the last few days though. Don't think we're using firefox.. the way I had to acess the forums was either by the "new post" in the user CP on te left or "latest forum topics". It's fine with this new clean skin though

Jan H
12.12.2004, 11:14

Is that an error in the software or people just not using the quotes properly. I think I have had that problem when quoting others as well.
There is a thread about this issue here (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9488)

DublinBass
12.12.2004, 11:20
There is a thread about this issue here (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9488)

The problem isn't different types of quote boxes (like in the thread you referred me to), but I see NO quote boxes :?

Jan H
12.12.2004, 11:31
The problem isn't different types of quote boxes (like in the thread you referred me to), but I see NO quote boxes :? It's basically the same problem... Just experiment with it, and you'll see.

TheMusicMan
12.12.2004, 11:37
John,
The point euphfanhan makes is exactly the problem I have with the default style (and have mentioned before). When I open tMP (with Firefox) the Portal appears but there is no direct way of accessing the Home page (or any other page) as the lower bar you show above is completely absent. (The top bar is nothing like you show either.) Am I the only one experiencing this problem?
Hi Brian

Okies I understand your issue but I took that screenshot using FireFox V1.0 and all runs fine for me. On teh default style there is currently no navigation bar as I have turned this off by default. The navigation bar need to be either on or off for ALL styles, as the tMP303 template has been developed with a bespoke set of navigation buttons it is turned off and the navogation bars then need to be included in the header section of whichever alternative styles are on offer.

The navigation bar is only turned off for the portal page and is on for all other pages of vB.

As I have included a new navigation bar for 'clean' ie: you see it in the screenshot, I also need to do the same for 'default' which up to now has not needed one because I have only had the tMP303 style available on the portal page.

As you say you dont see the navbar when using Firefox - could you pop us a screenshot please so I can see whats happening? Also, have you upgraded to the full release of firefox...?

J

MRSH
12.12.2004, 12:53
One other small thing, John.

Aardvark asks whether she can have the "<<Previous Thread|Next Thread>> " option at the top of the page as well as the bottom in the 'Clean' style, please??????

It is very useful ;):D

TheMusicMan
12.12.2004, 13:20
One other small thing, John.

Aardvark asks whether she can have the "<<Previous Thread|Next Thread>> " option at the top of the page as well as the bottom in the 'Clean' style, please??????

It is very useful ;):D
:tup - all done...:)

mikelyons
12.12.2004, 13:50
Hi Brian

Okies I understand your issue but I took that screenshot using FireFox V1.0 and all runs fine for me. On teh default style there is currently no navigation bar as I have turned this off by default. The navigation bar need to be either on or off for ALL styles, as the tMP303 template has been developed with a bespoke set of navigation buttons it is turned off and the navogation bars then need to be included in the header section of whichever alternative styles are on offer.

The navigation bar is only turned off for the portal page and is on for all other pages of vB.

As I have included a new navigation bar for 'clean' ie: you see it in the screenshot, I also need to do the same for 'default' which up to now has not needed one because I have only had the tMP303 style available on the portal page.

As you say you dont see the navbar when using Firefox - could you pop us a screenshot please so I can see whats happening? Also, have you upgraded to the full release of firefox...?

J:hammer:hammerMy Brain Hurts!!!!:confused: :hammer

Brian Bowen
12.12.2004, 14:01
Hi Brian

J John,
The only way I know how to "pop you a screen shot" is the old-fashioned way with a camera.:) This I've done via email. Hope it's what you wanted.

I also wonder if the problem I'm experiencing is the same for anyone new to tMP and finding it for the first time. Presumably they get it in default mode also.

TheMusicMan
12.12.2004, 14:09
Have replied by email Brian...

Also: I will be trying to fix the 'No Navigation on Portal when default style selected' issue later this evening... apologies ...

New unregistered users / visitors to tMP see the tMP303 template.

jimothy
12.12.2004, 16:04
These recent changes do nothing, so far as I can see, to add value to the site. They just seem to make it more difficult to navigate your way around. I, for one, will be using the site less often than I have in the past because I just don't have the time to spend trying to find out how the site works. Other message board sites that I use for other subjects are much more straight forward in operation and get a great deal more of my attention. C'est la vie I suppose.

TheMusicMan
12.12.2004, 16:32
These recent changes do nothing, so far as I can see, to add value to the site. They just seem to make it more difficult to navigate your way around. I, for one, will be using the site less often than I have in the past because I just don't have the time to spend trying to find out how the site works. Other message board sites that I use for other subjects are much more straight forward in operation and get a great deal more of my attention. C'est la vie I suppose.
Jim - I'm sorry, but I find your comments ridiculous and I simply fail to see how these improvements... "do nothing to add value to the site. They just make it more difficult to navigate around"... phah... bah humbug I say to that.

You have a choice as to using any of the styles available. Nothing has been added to tMP that confuses anything at all and you wouldn't even know about the new styles or features if (1) you hadn't managed to find your way to the 'very difficult to find of course' latest posts or clicked on the 'Clean' style link to change your default style.

What's difficult about clicking on New Posts to return all new posts since you last visited; or clicking on the Home button to go to the tMP Home Page; or even clicking on the Search button... guess what that does...;)

Please tell me... what is so difficult that causes you to write a post such as this...

MRSH
12.12.2004, 16:39
:tup - all done...:) 27 minutes. Quality John. Cheers.

Jim - I'm sorry, but I find your comments ridiculous and I simply fail to see how these improvements... "do nothing to add value to the site. They just make it more difficult to navigate around"... phah... bah humbug I say to that. Couldn't agree more. tMP is one of the easiest to use and quickest to get to know sites I use. And I use a lot. Take no notice John and just keep up the excellent work. I'm sure I speak for (nearly) everybody on her when I say that 99.9% of us appreciate everything you do.:D:tup

Aardvark
12.12.2004, 18:17
:tup - all done...:) Efficient as ever.

Thanks John :biggrin:

TheMusicMan
12.12.2004, 18:20
John,
The only way I know how to "pop you a screen shot" is the old-fashioned way with a camera.:) This I've done via email. Hope it's what you wanted.

I also wonder if the problem I'm experiencing is the same for anyone new to tMP and finding it for the first time. Presumably they get it in default mode also. Brian: I have now found a way to include the navbar on the portal for the default style. This should now function as before and you should see the navbar on the default style portal page. Please let me know yeah...:tup

MRSH: many thanks for your support, nice to know that my efforts are apreciated

Aardvark: we are here to please.... thanks for the suggestion. I will always try to make things more effective and easier for the user and I am glad to receive constructive feedback. Thanks for the public support.:)

mikelyons
12.12.2004, 19:44
These recent changes do nothing, so far as I can see, to add value to the site. They just seem to make it more difficult to navigate your way around. I, for one, will be using the site less often than I have in the past because I just don't have the time to spend trying to find out how the site works. Other message board sites that I use for other subjects are much more straight forward in operation and get a great deal more of my attention. C'est la vie I suppose.Polyps!

All these little improvements in functionality are beneficial to everyone.
Keep tweaking, John. It makes a great deal of difference. My brain (as I said before) hurts just reading about the mind-boggling things you are doing for everyone else's benefit. You know, you could give someone a million pounds and they'd want it in fivers with 100 in coins :p
:shock: :shock: :shock:

dyl
12.12.2004, 22:34
These recent changes do nothing, so far as I can see, to add value to the site. They just seem to make it more difficult to navigate your way around. I, for one, will be using the site less often than I have in the past because I just don't have the time to spend trying to find out how the site works. Other message board sites that I use for other subjects are much more straight forward in operation and get a great deal more of my attention. C'est la vie I suppose. Jim - you don't have to use the new style - you can still use any of the original two. We are realistic here and by no means expect everyone to like what we do and offer - but what you must remember is that everything you see here is provided FOR FREE by John - and apart from the s, he puts in so much time into tMP - even into something which may look as trivial and of no value to you as a new style. He does it cos he wants to - and because he believes in tMP and it's members, and wants to offer people a choice.

If you do decide to give 'this site' as you call it, less attention in the future,sure, it is sad that you feel that way, but it is you who will be worse off. Looking at your profile, I see you have used tMP in the past to:

advertise your own business
advertise for new players for your band
promote your band's web-site
ALL FOR FREE - and I make no apologies for re-iterating that fact btw.

I have to agree with you on one point in your post though......"c'est la vie." :cool:

Brian Bowen
12.12.2004, 23:09
After mentioning the problems I've been having navigating the default skin style, I'm pleased to say all is well now -- thanks to the hard work of theMusicMan (John).:clap:

euphfanhan
12.12.2004, 23:30
Hi euphfanhan

http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/home.gif

Cheers John, I see now that I am going blind in my old age! I have to agree with everyone else and say that the new stlye rocks! (That's a compliment btw!) But then again, the old stlye was great, as was the original so in my eyes, you can't really do anything wrong. You don't happen to be Scottish do you??

TheMusicMan
13.12.2004, 11:25
As several people have asked, I have now added a full width version of tMP's new 'Clean' style as 'Clean - Full Screen'. This is available from the drop down style chooser at the bottom left of each tMP page. See screenshot below...

http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/cleanwide.gif

Enjoy...;)

Jan H
13.12.2004, 11:36
As several people have asked, I have now added a full width version of tMP's new 'Clean' style as 'Clean - Full Screen'. Wow, that's great John! :tup
It's now set as my default theme!

TheMusicMan
13.12.2004, 11:42
Yeah, I like this one too Jan... still a few tweaks I can make here and there as well as some more fabulous functionality on the way very soon. Keep peeled and we'll announce sometime soon.

dyl
13.12.2004, 11:42
Have to agree with you Jan - the new 'wider' Clean style is by far my favourite.

super_sop
13.12.2004, 14:30
Have to agree with you Jan - the new 'wider' Clean style is by far my favourite.

Same here Dyl, looks realy good now.
keep up the great work John

MRSH
13.12.2004, 14:36
Same here Dyl, looks realy good now.
keep up the great work John Same here - looks fantastic.

mikelyons
13.12.2004, 18:26
Yes it looks fantastic, even on my laptop. Just one little jibe, could the default font be a tad larger? It is a bit like being at the optician's, when you can't quite make out the tiny letters on the bottom row :) My resolution is 1400*1050, BTW

Brian Bowen
13.12.2004, 19:02
I just hope the quote tool can now be made to work properly. It's been working just fine for me up to a short time ago. Today I posted into a thread and used the quote tool a couple times and all looked correct even after I submitted it. But when I returned to the thread some minutes later the shading and indentation were missing so that the quotations and my comments now appear all run into one paragraph, making little sense.

mikelyons
13.12.2004, 20:07
I just hope the quote tool can now be made to work properly. It's been working just fine for me up to a short time ago. Today I posted into a thread and used the quote tool a couple times and all looked correct even after I submitted it. But when I returned to the thread some minutes later the shading and indentation were missing so that the quotations and my comments now appear all run into one paragraph, making little sense.
Ah Brian, I'm used to making little sense :)

mikelyons
14.12.2004, 18:41
Superb, John. Much better now I can read without eyestrain! Even if I can't type properly!:roll:

How can anyone complain about the level of service offered on tMP?

DublinBass
15.12.2004, 09:05
John -

Any chance you could put the same list of options in the clean menu as in the regular 3.03 (For instance I can't seem to find the link to 'new in the past 7 days')

TheMusicMan
15.12.2004, 09:30
John -

Any chance you could put the same list of options in the clean menu as in the regular 3.03 (For instance I can't seem to find the link to 'new in the past 7 days')
There you go Pat... how's that?

http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/quicklinks.gif

DublinBass
18.12.2004, 22:14
Fantastic!!!

Thanks John :)

Jan H
22.12.2004, 08:56
John, another small thing for you to sort out: (whenever you have some spare time ;) )

In the new "clean" style, the quick search doesn't work from the portal page (home). I mean the little search box that appears when you click on the "search v" button on top of the page. When you enter some words in the box and press "go", it will bring you to an error page that says something like "URL not found".

On other pages, like on the "forums" page, the Quick search does work normally and also in the other styles I didn't encounter any problems with this.

My guess is that it is just a small error in the URL of the search script or something like that.

regards,

Jan

TheMusicMan
22.12.2004, 11:28
Hi Jan

Yep, there was a missing path entry for that form. Should all be fixed now on both 'Clean' and 'Clean - Full Screen' styles. Thanks for pointing out, always willing to make amendments...:)