PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool Football Club

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

ian perks
10.12.2004, 14:53
Well after Wednesday Night i am in Cloud 9.As RAFAS MIGHTY REDS have got through to the last 16 of Champions Leauge.
How many of you Support LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB ON HERE and do you think they will get to Final?:D

TheMusicMan
10.12.2004, 14:58
Ahhh Mr Perks sir... I see you are still posting (now very nearly 300 times) on your 2nd fav?? online banding site then eh...;)

lewis
10.12.2004, 15:02
I'm a big liverpool fan, but as much as I would love to say we're gonna go all the way I can't see it happening this year. But the future does suddenly look a lot brighter with Benitez at the helm (keeping Gerrard is a must though!), so who knows next year?

dyl
10.12.2004, 15:29
Ahhh Mr Perks sir... I see you are still posting (now very nearly 300 times) on your 2nd fav?? online banding site then eh...;)
LMFAO!!!!!

To answer your question Mr. Perks:

1) I support Liverpool
2) No, we won't make the final

Chris Sanders
10.12.2004, 16:52
Well after Wednesday Night i am in Cloud 9.As RAFAS MIGHTY REDS have got through to the last 16 of Champions Leauge.
How many of you Support LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB ON HERE and do you think they will get to Final?:D

i) I do not Support Liverpool

ii) You will make the final

iii) Hopefully Everton destroy Liverpool in the Derby!! 4-1??

super_sop
10.12.2004, 23:24
I must admit, that ruff-as-hell-beneathus does seem to be doing a good job. not quite as good as the manager of the peoples club of course. the Mosiah over at Goodison is doing a fantastic job.

Tomorrows derby has the makings of an excellent match.
may the best team win. oh yes of course we will.

come on you blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScrapingtheBottom
10.12.2004, 23:26
A couple of good games and you start saying you'll win the Champions League - lets get real here!

dyl
10.12.2004, 23:59
A couple of good games and you start saying you'll win the Champions League - lets get real here! I've read through this thread countless times since your post - and I'm yet to find anyone mentioning winning the Champions League. :confused:

Dave Payn
11.12.2004, 01:04
I've read through this thread countless times since your post - and I'm yet to find anyone mentioning winning the Champions League. :confused:

Fair play to Liverpool, they're now (after some early dodgy results domestically and in the CL) looking a cohesive unit. Liverpool have an outside chance IF Gerrard stays fit.

Still, it pains me as an Arsenal supporter to say that again, we won't. Whilst there's signs that Arsenal are turning the corner again after spending a month feeling sorry for themselves after 'Pizzagate', I can't see it happening in the CL. It's annoying for me, because over the past few seasons, Arsenal when playing at the top of their game, are quite capable of beating absolutely anybody, but maybe lack the 'steel' required to triumph in a tournament like the CL. They're too inconsistent. They come up with the odd spectacular result (Leverkusen 4-1, Juventus 3-1 and Inter Milan 5-1 away spring to mind over the last few years) but rarely go on to consolidate those performances. Add to the fact, they're really not very good at killing teams off when going ahead, particularly this season. Defence is suspect too, noticeably when Campbell's not around. And Vieira should have gone to Madrid because his heart doesn't seem to be in it anymore. Didn't notice his absence early in the season when Fabregas was around but it's not fair to expect a 17 year old to play consistently at a high level, and he seems to be struggling at the moment. Perhaps Arsenal need to draw a big gun like Barcelona in the next round to gee them up to play their best. They'll have to.

Still, for all the doom merchants who rubbish the Premiership, how many other European leagues have 4 teams all getting through to the knock-out stages? Well done to all the Prem clubs, I say.

For me, Chelsea, Barcelona or Juventus will triumph.

DublinBass
11.12.2004, 09:22
come on you blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed ;)

http://www.chelseafc.com/images/-STOCK/badge_gold1.gif

And may Watford rule you in the Carling Cup!!

ScrapingtheBottom
11.12.2004, 11:49
I've read through this thread countless times since your post - and I'm yet to find anyone mentioning winning the Champions League. :confused:
I wasn't talking about people on this thread - have you read some of the liverpool message boards recently?

dyl
11.12.2004, 12:26
I wasn't talking about people on this thread - have you read some of the liverpool message boards recently?
Yes - sure have! And the ones I visit are very reasonable and realistic. Are you sure you weren't looking at Man Utd message boards?

super_sop
11.12.2004, 14:42
One nil to the Everton!!!!!!!!

ScrapingtheBottom
11.12.2004, 17:19
Yes - sure have! And the ones I visit are very reasonable and realistic. Are you sure you weren't looking at Man Utd message boards?
Really lfconline had some choice ones such as the guy who believes that liverpool will beat AC Milan, Chelsea, and Madrid on their way to the final with Man Utd who they will beat to lift the cup, ha ha...

dyl
11.12.2004, 17:21
Really lfconline had some choice ones such as the guy who believes that liverpool will beat AC Milan, Chelsea, and Madrid on their way to the final with Man Utd who they will beat to lift the cup, ha ha... Yeah, well, every message board has at least one muppet! ;)

Andy Moore
11.12.2004, 17:26
Hi

I'm very pleased to see Everton won today, I find it pleasing, as a Manchester Utd fan to see this kind of thing happening to Liverpool.

There's no chance that Liverpool will be in the final ... they lack the consistency to beat teams like Real Madrid and Chelsea over 2 legs.

I hate to say it, but I think Chelsea may be in the final, hopefully they won't win it though.

Andy M

madandcrazytromboneguy
11.12.2004, 18:15
liverpool rnt the team they were when they were mostly a british 1st 11, now that its a mostly foreign 1st 11, its a failing team, fair enuff 1 or 2 like hyppia and cisse(despite his horrid injury)have done well but other big guns like kewell and dudek who were thort 2 b 2 of the best signings made 4 liverpool since the premiership was formed, have not come up 2 standard, im a leeds fan and even im surprized at how bad kewell has been, coz he was world class when he was at his peak at leeds. as 4 the other foreigners, heres just a few fluffs, EL-HADJI DIOUF, SALIF DIOU, DJIMI TRAORE, STEPHANE HENCHOZ, IGOR BISCAN, just 2 name a few there, neway, just 2 rub it in, EVERTON 1 liverpool 0, damn thats pretty funny, and a 12 point gap aswell, impressive, maybe we shud change this thread 2 summin like, WILL EVERTON CARRY ON THIS FORM TILL THE END OF THE SEASON?

Dave Payn
11.12.2004, 18:18
Hi

I'm very pleased to see Everton won today, I find it pleasing, as a Manchester Utd fan to see this kind of thing happening to Liverpool.

There's no chance that Liverpool will be in the final ... they lack the consistency to beat teams like Real Madrid and Chelsea over 2 legs.

I hate to say it, but I think Chelsea may be in the final, hopefully they won't win it though.

Andy M

I have no particular axe to grind against Everton or Liverpool, but with Everton now leapfrogging Arsenal in the Premiership, one has to say 'Well done David Moyes'. I saw doom and gloom for them when Rooney left, but perhaps that was the best thing for both parties. I think Moyes is already in line for Manager of the Year, and may well succeed as Scotland manager if things don't go according to plan with Walter Smith. Some might argue he should be there already....

ScrapingtheBottom
11.12.2004, 19:34
I have no particular axe to grind against Everton or Liverpool, but with Everton now leapfrogging Arsenal in the Premiership, one has to say 'Well done David Moyes'. I saw doom and gloom for them when Rooney left, but perhaps that was the best thing for both parties. I think Moyes is already in line for Manager of the Year, and may well succeed as Scotland manager if things don't go according to plan with Walter Smith. Some might argue he should be there already....
I would say Moyesy might be next in line at Old Trafford - but why leave to go to a worse club?

super_sop
11.12.2004, 20:21
Just out of curiosity, did anybody else hear what beneath us is going to do when he wins the league?

super_sop
11.12.2004, 20:22
Just out of curiosity, did anybody else hear what beneath us is going to do when he wins the league? Turn off is playstation 2 and go to bed!!!:p:p:p:p:p:p

TADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Lauradoll
12.12.2004, 14:58
Everton Everton Everton
Everton Everton Everton
Everton Everton Everton
Everton
Everton!!

Davie Moyeses Barmy Army

Red And White *****!

Am Just Getting Over The Football Result Yesterday!

Get In!!!

(and I Know I'm Shouting!!)

super_sop
12.12.2004, 17:57
Everton Everton Everton
Everton Everton Everton
Everton Everton Everton
Everton
Everton!!

Davie Moyeses Barmy Army

Red And White *****!

Am Just Getting Over The Football Result Yesterday!

Get In!!!

(and I Know I'm Shouting!!)
you mean your getting over it!!!????? im still as high as a kite, and if the other match today stays as it is at the mo, ill be getting higher!!! TALK ABOUT NOSE BLEEDS............................................ .........

COME ON YOU BLUES

EVERTON EVERTON EVERTONNNNNNNNNN
EVERTON EVERTON EVERTOOOOOOOON
EVERTON EVERTON EVERTON EVERTON.......REPEAT AS REQUIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

super_sop
12.12.2004, 18:08
ARSENAL 2- 2 CHELSKI

I KNOW THIS IS A BRASS BAND SITE, AND IVE SLIGHTLY HIJACKED A THREAD, BUT COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE WEEKEND JUST GETS BETTER!, SECOND PLACE IN THE LEAGUE, AND ONLY 4 POUINTS BHEIND MONEY BAGS!

WE'RE GONEA WIN THE LEAGUE,
WE'RE GONA WIN THE LEAGUE,
E I EDIO WE'RE GONA WIN THE LEAGUE

:clap::clap::clap::clap::terrier:terrier:terrier:t errier:metal:

DublinBass
12.12.2004, 20:35
While, personally a Chelsea supporter, I do have to say that I have enjoyed Everton's success, mainly because at the begining of the season many of their supporters and the media had written them off as not having a chance and giving up because they sold Rooney. Who needs Rooney now?

May the Evertone BLUES finish second only to the Chelsea BLUES!!

Wonky_Baton
12.12.2004, 20:58
Not too bothered about any other teams apart from Sunderland. However Bob Paisley was canny bloke. He was born in Hetton-Le-Hole and when Liverpool won the european cup he brought the cup to hetton community centre so the local kids could see it and to sign autographs. Top bloke he was too!! :)

Steve
13.12.2004, 11:42
I'm a liverpool fan but there is no way we will win the CL this year. We need a takeover sorting out asap so we can a.) invest in players that can win us the league and b.) start concentrating on the football and not the boardroom situation. We have two players that would interest Arsenal/Chelsea/Red Scum and that isnt enough. A fair few good players but that isnt nearly good enough for Liverpool. Dont even get me started on consistency!!!! Wednesday night was good though, shame I didnt see the Greek lads sat behind me before I started shouting at the little cheats on the tv

Lauradoll
13.12.2004, 15:29
I'm a liverpool fan but there is no way we will win the CL this year.

Well spotted Sherlock!!

uncle eric
13.12.2004, 19:38
oooh friends i've a marvellous idea!

why don't we model our football on the scottish equivalent? that would make for a marvellously exciting league - only here in england! we could have just a very small proportion of the teams.....err say for arguments sake arsenal, manchester (i believe that is the name, its a place you know, not a brand name) and hmm another one, maybe chelsea, and they could be much richer then all the rest, like our friends in scotland have. then they could command a much larger revenue share and hold the other clubs (say in lower divisions...) to ransom over sponsership, money etc. don't you see? all the other competition would effectively be eliminated from being competetive, and those three clubs (or two as our friends in scotland have) could just fight it out year upon year, and no-one would know who was going to win!!!!!!!!! (out of those three obviously)and over a period of time, fans would walk away from their own teams and just support the big two/three and so all the other teams would get weaker, whilst they got stronger! i've personally always admired people who support a big club despite where they live or were born, i think it showswhat clever and ambitious people they are, they they are astute enough to follow the crowd, after all then you can watch them in the comfort of your own home and not have to waste money travelling to watch them, because they're on telly more often than the others after all!?
those people who were idiot enough to support their local club would still have the excitement of whether or when they were going to go out of buisness or not, and anyway, why should all these places have teams when most people have sky tv, don't they.

i'm hoping that in within the next few years there are exciting times ahead in premiership football for the big three. all this everton/liverpool thing will die down soon when they realise that they are the hearts and dunfirmaline of england. i believe football crwods are down in the premiership especially this season. i think people are finally getting the message-football is buisness, not competition after all...isn't it?

regards

uncle eric

Chris Sanders
13.12.2004, 19:49
err say for arguments sake arsenal, manchester (i believe that is the name, its a place you know, not a brand name)

Manchester... Do you mean City?? We're skint!! Nearly 63 Million in debt in fact...

Or do you mean that United Scum from Salford??

Chris Sanders
13.12.2004, 19:54
Howz aboot if FIFA internationally restricted player wages to £50, 000 per year and the top flight got back to playing good quality football... As they did Pre-Premiership?? If players trained hard enough they would'nt have time to spend all that dosh...

That spare money could reform the NHS and the Education system!!

Steve
14.12.2004, 12:08
Well spotted Sherlock!!

Elementary my dear Lauradoll

geordiecolin
14.12.2004, 14:08
Just a few musings on the current premiership table and football generally

1) Everton are there only by luck, I know I'll get shot down for saying it, but in my opinion any team that plays 4-5-1, generally gets battered for 85 mins before nicking a goal cannot claim to be among the "best in the league". The table doesn't lie you say, perhaps it doesn't, but i would have thought that any self respecting everton fan would be aware that their team isn't really truly where they are through merit. As soon as Lady Luck leaves you (and perhaps restores a modicum of luck to the toon) you'll slip down the table. Surely having Big Dunc fit for more than 45 minutes requires a seasonload of luck alone!! I defy any Everton fan to honestly claim that everton haven't had more than their fair share of luck all season.........

2) What exactly is happening at the toon? Everton have stolen all our luck (just look @ when we played them at SJP) and our defence seem incapable of not gifting second half goals to teams. Its ridiculous.

3) Having said that, its great to see JJ back to his best

4) I was pleased to see liverpool go through. Reminded me of the Toon v. Feyernoord (3-2) a few years back... aaah, those were the days.....

5) Referees always give teams wearing RED more decisions. You watch any edition of match of day!!!

6) Patrick Kluivert is an idle waste of space.

7) Blackburn are going down. Rudderless and clueless, a bit like the toon, but worse.

8) Spur's Timothee Atouba is clearly the most amusing premiership player around at the moment, mainly because he's terrible.

9) Chelski to win the league :-( Arsenal 2nd :-( Man Utd 3rd :-(

10) I said it then, I'll say it now, "Why on earth did we sell Nol Solano???

11) At least the premiership is particuarly poor this season. Newcastle are dreadful but still aren't in any danger of going down!

Chunky
14.12.2004, 17:00
Some of my observations having watched football this season

1) Arsenal are definetly the best side I have seen this season
2) Everton great work rate, however take out Graversen and they will be in trouble
3) Blackburn, nasty thugs, belong in the fizzy sticky brown stuff league
4) Aston Villa, over rated
5) Liverpool when Alonso allowed a free reign, are superb
6) Southampton, plain awful, but with Arry in charge who knows what might happen
7) Bolton see Aston Villa
8 Fulham, poor side but a great find in Papa Bouba Diop if thats how its spelt!
9) Portsmouth, Arry jumped ship at the right time!

Tips to go down; West Brom / Palace / Blackburn

But back to the original topic, Liverpool on their day are a very good side, been a bit unlucy with injuries. However under Benitiez they are at last starting to play the style of football that those of us of a certain age grew up watching and admiring.

madandcrazytromboneguy
17.12.2004, 06:33
ARS = iffy goalies, good outfield when all fit, henry best striker in league
CHE = full of star players, not sure on 1 or 2 of them but should win the league
MAN U = no rio, no defence. midfield good when all fit, upfront 1 of best in league
LIV = not convinced, 2 many poor foreigners, not the team of a few seasons ago
NEW = dont like souness, poor defenders allround, good young players 4 future
AS.VI. = not bad, not gr8, should finish top half, o'leary 1 of the top current bosses
FUL = similar 2 a.v., no star quality but again should finish top half
MID = very strong when all fit, a suprize package, 5th place 4 uefa cup next time
BOL = my other tip 4 uefa cup next time, 6th place could prove their good quality
EVE = doin well so far, cahill a good signing, will only finish top half tho
BIR = good last time, this time, a few signings not playing well, midtable finish
BLA = very average, will only stay up coz of poorer teams behind them
SOU = niemi/keller not bad, phillips/beattie not bad, poor elsewhere, low2midtable
CHA = good last time, this time average, even with a similar team, midtable finish
MAN C = not a bad squad but dont play well as a team, a low table finish
POR = will suffer without redknapp+smith, a low finish now with an average team
TOT = good strikers, rest of squad poor 2 average, will not do anything this time
NOR = average team with no depth, relegation battle all the way
WE.BR. = better than norwich but not good enough 4 premiership, relegation
CR.PA = johnson a good goal scoring striker, rest of team poor, will be relegated

end of season prediction

1. CHELSEA
2. ARSENAL
3. MAN. UTD
4. LIVERPOOL
5. MIDD*****ROUGH
6. BOLTON
7. NEWCASTLE
8. EVERTON
9. FULHAM
10. A.VILLA
11. CHARLTON
12. TOTTENHAM
13. MAN. CITY
14. BIRMINGHAM
15. SOUTHAMPTON
16. PORTSMOUTH
17. BLACKBURN
18. W.BROM
19. C.PALACE
20. NORWICH

dodgy prediction i know but should get a few of you passing comments, look forward to reading them. ENJOY :-D

Chunky
17.12.2004, 12:07
ARS = iffy goalies, good outfield when all fit, henry best striker in league
CHE = full of star players, not sure on 1 or 2 of them but should win the league
MAN U = no rio, no defence. midfield good when all fit, upfront 1 of best in league
LIV = not convinced, 2 many poor foreigners, not the team of a few seasons ago
NEW = dont like souness, poor defenders allround, good young players 4 future
AS.VI. = not bad, not gr8, should finish top half, o'leary 1 of the top current bosses
FUL = similar 2 a.v., no star quality but again should finish top half
MID = very strong when all fit, a suprize package, 5th place 4 uefa cup next time
BOL = my other tip 4 uefa cup next time, 6th place could prove their good quality
EVE = doin well so far, cahill a good signing, will only finish top half tho
BIR = good last time, this time, a few signings not playing well, midtable finish
BLA = very average, will only stay up coz of poorer teams behind them
SOU = niemi/keller not bad, phillips/beattie not bad, poor elsewhere, low2midtable
CHA = good last time, this time average, even with a similar team, midtable finish
MAN C = not a bad squad but dont play well as a team, a low table finish
POR = will suffer without redknapp+smith, a low finish now with an average team
TOT = good strikers, rest of squad poor 2 average, will not do anything this time
NOR = average team with no depth, relegation battle all the way
WE.BR. = better than norwich but not good enough 4 premiership, relegation
CR.PA = johnson a good goal scoring striker, rest of team poor, will be relegated

end of season prediction

1. CHELSEA
2. ARSENAL
3. MAN. UTD
4. LIVERPOOL
5. MIDD*****ROUGH
6. BOLTON
7. NEWCASTLE
8. EVERTON
9. FULHAM
10. A.VILLA
11. CHARLTON
12. TOTTENHAM
13. MAN. CITY
14. BIRMINGHAM
15. SOUTHAMPTON
16. PORTSMOUTH
17. BLACKBURN
18. W.BROM
19. C.PALACE
20. NORWICH

dodgy prediction i know but should get a few of you passing comments, look forward to reading them. ENJOY :-D

Indeed I cannot resist passing comment. I assume you have seen the likes of Southampton, West Brom, Blackburn and Palace play live this season. If you had I doubt you would have them above Norwich.

OK you may say that is me speaking with canary tinted glasses, but now having seen most of the side in the Premiership live I can afford to be a bit biased.

Perhaps we could ask the mods nicely if we could have a Premiership Prediction Competition?

Maestro
17.12.2004, 13:18
Indeed I cannot resist passing comment. I assume you have seen the likes of Southampton, West Brom, Blackburn and Palace play live this season. If you had I doubt you would have them above Norwich.

OK you may say that is me speaking with canary tinted glasses, but now having seen most of the side in the Premiership live I can afford to be a bit biased.

Perhaps we could ask the mods nicely if we could have a Premiership Prediction Competition?

You have a pair of 'canary' tinted glasses sir?

Surely not. A more unbiased city fan I have yet to meet.

madandcrazytromboneguy
18.12.2004, 02:02
why has it put *'s in the middle of boro? i didnt put them there!

PeterBale
18.12.2004, 09:38
why has it put *'s in the middle of boro? i didnt put them there!
It' just one of the blips in the protection system that has not been ironed out yet - didn't like the presence of "l.e.s.b.o" in the middle of the word :shock:

madandcrazytromboneguy
19.12.2004, 23:55
wot about other words that accidently have a word in it that ppl might not like, i mean if u know that a word like m'boro is a p[erfectly normal word then i think ppl wud c it as m'boro rather than midd L.E.S.B.O. rough, no offense but it seems 2 b pretty lame

ian perks
03.04.2005, 19:41
Its down to 1 point now with EVERTON blowing it today:biggrin:

Well done W.B.A:clap:

dyl
03.04.2005, 21:44
They can't handle the pressure mate! ;)

Chris Sanders
03.04.2005, 21:51
1. CHELSEA
2. ARSENAL
3. MAN. UTD
4. LIVERPOOL
5. MIDD*****ROUGH
6. BOLTON
7. NEWCASTLE
8. EVERTON
9. FULHAM
10. A.VILLA
11. CHARLTON
12. TOTTENHAM
13. MAN. CITY
14. BIRMINGHAM
15. SOUTHAMPTON
16. PORTSMOUTH
17. BLACKBURN
18. W.BROM
19. C.PALACE
20. NORWICH

Well predicted... Pains me to say it, but I can realistically see us coming 13th...

Very much doubt everton will slip to 8th though...

Jamie
03.04.2005, 22:01
Glad to see a few Arsenal (grudgingly or otherwise) supporters (in even the most tenuous sense...) I have every faith we'll finish 2nd. Vieira has been pants in the latter half of the season at least, but have been well impressed with Fabregas' efforts to pick up the pieces. And we do have iffy goalies, yes. But I was well glad of one of them while I was sat watching the penalties at Sheffield Utd a while ago!!

As for Liverpool... not paid any attention for a while... I thought Owen was still there!!

Chris Sanders
03.04.2005, 22:08
I have every faith we'll finish 2nd.

I hope so... Arsenal are a great squad... A bit overshadowed by Chelsea this season... But nevertheless still great...

As for Liverpool... not paid any attention for a while... I thought Owen was still there!!

He's left?? At least they still got good old Fowler and his bezzy mate Macca... Alan Kennedy too, he'll never leave... :D

ian perks
06.04.2005, 15:27
Well what a great game last night 2-1.

The goal by Luis Garcia was a real stunner that had the RAVIOLI BOYS STUNNED:biggrin:
Just hope they can do the same in a weeks time, over in Turin and it will be SEMI FINALS HERE RAFA'S ARMY COME.
But it will not be easy.
The tension at band practise was a bit high with us 3 Liverpool Fans,a bit hard to concentrate with us dashing out to cars when we had our break and reaching for mobile phones to check on the latest score from the game.

IYOUNG
06.04.2005, 15:53
[QUOTE=ian perks]Well what a great game last night 2-1.

The goal by Luis Garcia was a real stunner that had the RAVIOLI BOYS STUNNED:biggrin:
Just hope they can do the same in a weeks time, over in Turin and it will be SEMI FINALS HERE RAFA'S ARMY COME.
But it will not be easy.

Indeed it won't be easy at all, I have a feeling that Juventus may well run riot next week. Need to get this into perspective Liverpool looked good for 30 minutes against a poor Juventus who you could just see had the view of................ ''nothing to rash'' in the first leg please.
Garcia goal was like many similar ones could have gone anywhere really, Hypia's was much better.

postie
06.04.2005, 16:03
It was a bit of shame conceding that away goal might prove to be absolutely crucial.

Chris Sanders
06.04.2005, 16:19
It was a bit of shame conceding that away goal might prove to be absolutely crucial.

I must admit I was preying for Liverpool to be Slaughtered 5-0 last night and hoping for at least eight injurys before Saturdays fixture, however since that didnt happen I will of course be cheering for the English side in the away fixture...

Go on Liverpool...

dyl
06.04.2005, 17:31
Indeed it won't be easy at all, I have a feeling that Juventus may well run riot next week. Need to get this into perspective Liverpool looked good for 30 minutes against a poor Juventus who you could just see had the view of................ ''nothing to rash'' in the first leg please.
Garcia goal was like many similar ones could have gone anywhere really, Hypia's was much better.

Are you a Man Ure fan by any chance?

Chris Sanders
06.04.2005, 17:37
Says he conducts Chalgrove Band??

Aint they in Oxford??

Oxford in the south??

The south where most Man Utd fans come from??

You're probably right...

IYOUNG
06.04.2005, 18:04
Are you a Man Ure fan by any chance?

Dear me thats even worse!!!!!!!

Just think that although it was good win I admit lets keep it all in perspective

Jamie
06.04.2005, 20:08
Lets not be rash... the South is a big area... we're not all United fans!! Perish the thought!

...Although, admittedly, relative to the north, there's probably more of them here!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/518v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm867ANUS)

Chris Sanders
06.04.2005, 20:25
Although, admittedly, relative to the north, there's probably more of them here!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/518v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm867ANUS)

Probably all of them there... Ever noticed how the M6 southbound is always mad at 5:15pm on Saturdays... ;)

I pity you having to live amongst them...

geordiecolin
07.04.2005, 11:22
I don't see what all the fuss is about. Juve rarely play well in England. When I saw the toon beat them at St. James a few years back they were pretty average. Nedved was awful, his only major contribution being a foul throw and when Andy Griffin boshed Di Vaio into touch with a fantastic tackle in the first 5 mins, there wasn't a peep out of him for next 85..... I think that away may count against the scouse, i find it difficult to not see Juve scoring at home and that defence is pretty solid, especially in Turin.

DublinBass
07.04.2005, 11:38
I hope the current aggregate hold steady and we see two matched between Chelsea and Liverpool. They have had some fantastic games recently!!

IYOUNG
07.04.2005, 15:11
Can't agree i'm afraid, watching Liverpool is quite tedious at times and gulf in class will tell in the end. You have only got to look at the Premiership table to see that.

Red Elvis
07.04.2005, 18:56
Whilst I think that Liverpool will probably get well beaten in Turin , there was something incredibly nostalgic about seeing the kop with scarves raised , flags flying on a big european night. Took me right back to the 70's / early 80's.

Getting on for 25-30 years ago now , and probably have that long to wait before Champions league footy is back at Elland Road !!!

Jamie
07.04.2005, 22:17
Probably all of them there... Ever noticed how the M6 southbound is always mad at 5:15pm on Saturdays... ;)

I pity you having to live amongst them...

I can't say I have noticed the M6... I hardly ever get that far north! Nottingham's as far as I go! And I only live among them part time... its forest and county fans here... I live on Trent Bridge so when the football kicks out, you dont leave your house. Any attempt to use the roads is prevented by the hoards of fans, police horses and riot vans!!

geordiecolin
08.04.2005, 11:40
I think its clear that only 1 English team will win European silverware this season. And they aren't Chelsea or Liverpool! Utterly bonkers idiosyncratic clown referees permitting of course!

Chris Sanders
08.04.2005, 11:58
I think its clear that only 1 English team will win European silverware this season. And they aren't Chelsea or Liverpool! Utterly bonkers idiosyncratic clown referees permitting of course!

Doubt it somehow??

Would be nice though...

DublinBass
08.04.2005, 12:01

I was a bit slow on that one Colin...I assume you are talking about Newcastle?

I think Chelsea or Liverpool is a safer bet.

Besides UEFA Cup is more like European Plasticware...It'd be the same as referring to the Carling Cup as "true" silverware...or winning Butlins or Pontins makes you British Champs.

Chris Sanders
10.04.2005, 10:28
MANCHESTER CITY 1

LIVERPOOL 0

geordiecolin
10.04.2005, 11:55
I was a bit slow on that one Colin...I assume you are talking about Newcastle?

I think Chelsea or Liverpool is a safer bet.

Besides UEFA Cup is more like European Plasticware...It'd be the same as referring to the Carling Cup as "true" silverware...or winning Butlins or Pontins makes you British Champs.

To be honest Pat, even if we won the LDV Vans Trophy, Tyneside would go bonkers!! The wait for success in Newcastle has been far too long!! I still think we're on for a famous cup double!

I wouldn't say UEFA is Plasticware... The InterToyTown or the Anglo-Italian Cup or even the old Cup Winners Cup (which Chelsea won ;)), now they were Plasticware competitions!!

postie
10.04.2005, 12:04
Well I would say Liverpool won't make the Champions League if they carry on losing to the likes Of Man City. Although they have the chance if they win the Champions League.

Chris Sanders
10.04.2005, 16:28
Well I would say Liverpool won't make the Champions League if they carry on losing to the likes Of Man City. Although they have the chance if they win the Champions League.

Chelsea lost to Man City this season... :-?

In fact Man City are the only team to beat them in the league... :-?

So by your reckoning they wont make the Champions League?? :p

Made youself look a damn fool with that comment boyo...!! :hammer

postie
10.04.2005, 20:09
Chelsea lost to Man City this season... :-?

In fact Man City are the only team to beat them in the league... :-?

So by your reckoning they wont make the Champions League?? :p

Made youself look a damn fool with that comment boyo...!! :hammer

Fair point Sandman but in Liverpool position they have to win matches like that. I will give credit to Man City they deserved to win by all accounts. By the way love the avatar always enjoyed Cannonball Run!!!!!!!!

Chris Sanders
10.04.2005, 20:22
Fair point Sandman but in Liverpool position they have to win matches like that. I will give credit to Man City they deserved to win by all accounts.

I am not just saying this because I am a City Fan, but City are very unpredictable...

Football itself is unpredictable... Just because we had a great game doesnt mean Liverpool arnt generally a very strong team... It could have happened to anyone... In the last few years we have beat teams such as Chelsea, Barcelona, Lazio and absolutely slaughtered Man Utd twice... But before anyone else reminds me, i'll also mention we have also this season been beaten by West Brom and Oldham Athletic...

Liverpool are much more consistant, and have recently had a good run of results...

I am sure saturdays game was just the kick up the back side Liverpool needed, just to remind them not to become to complacent!!

postie
10.04.2005, 23:24
Hey don't worry about it Man City are a complete enigma you never know with them what you are going to get. All I can say is won't Liverpool being annoyed if Everton get a Champions league place.

Chris Sanders
11.04.2005, 09:22
All I can say is won't Liverpool being annoyed if Everton get a Champions league place.

Ha... Champions League was that tool Rooneys excuse for leaving Everton...!!

lewis
11.04.2005, 10:39
Liverpool are much more consistant, and have recently had a good run of results...

Beating Juve meant that was only the second time this season we've managed to string three wins on the trot :mad:. That's not consistant that's ****** rubbish! Liverpool just didn't look up for it against Man City which is essentially how they've looked all season, apart from when playing the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Juve. Not good enough I'm afraid.

As for finishing below Everton, please someone pinch me! It's the unthinkable!

ian perks
11.04.2005, 14:24
Liverpool just so inconsistant even RAFA said that on Match Of The Day and also said IT WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
As a REDS fan i was 100% with him on that:clap:

Chris Sanders
11.04.2005, 16:11
Beating Juve meant that was only the second time this season we've managed to string three wins on the trot :mad:. That's not consistant that's ****** rubbish! Liverpool just didn't look up for it against Man City which is essentially how they've looked all season, apart from when playing the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Juve. Not good enough I'm afraid.

As for finishing below Everton, please someone pinch me! It's the unthinkable!

Much more consistant was what I wrote was it not...?? You are much more consistent than us!!

Even though we beat Chelsea this season we also got beat by Oldham Athletic... Is that not more inconsistant??

lewis
11.04.2005, 23:47
More consistant than you or not, without Gerrard I fear the worst tomorrow night! It was nice while it lasted.

Chris Sanders
12.04.2005, 09:15
More consistant than you or not, without Gerrard I fear the worst tomorrow night! It was nice while it lasted.

Alls you need to do is defend tightly... Doubt you'll pull this one off!!

Gerrard is and incredible player, probably the best English player around...

geordiecolin
12.04.2005, 15:43
naah, Lampard's better at the mo IMHO

postie
12.04.2005, 16:16

I agree with you Lampard is a super player probably slightly better in my opinion than Gerrard.

dyl
12.04.2005, 16:26
Who's Colin Lampard? ;)

Chunky
12.04.2005, 16:29
Who's Colin Lampard? ;)

The result of a run in between Frank Lampard Senior and Neil 'Colin' Warnock?

Chris Sanders
12.04.2005, 18:40

I dont know between the two of them... Both class..

I think Terry is an awesome too... He should be Captain without a doubt... Forget Beckham and Owen...

Cornishwomble
12.04.2005, 18:59
I think Gerrard and Lampard are too different kind of players and can't really be compared. You couldn't replace them like for like in a team. They are both brilliant at what they do and I think it's exciting as an England fan to see them in the heart of our midfield

DublinBass
12.04.2005, 19:08
I think Gerrard and Lampard are too different kind of players and can't really be compared.

They both score key goals for Chelsea in big games :p

super_sop
12.04.2005, 19:22
LMAO!:clap::clap:

geordiecolin
13.04.2005, 14:56
Gerrard is and incredible player, probably the best English player around...

Actually stuff Gerrard and Lampard. Shearer is easily the best English Player around!!! ;) :roll:

Cornishwomble
13.04.2005, 15:31

Well they say the best way to get employed by someone is to offer your services for free for a while ;)

DublinBass
13.04.2005, 18:03
Sorry Roy, I couldn't help it, it was the perfect set up ;)

In all seriousness I hope Liverpool just light up Juventus tonight as I think Chelsea/ Liverpool would be two fantastic matches - and maybe some extra time.

(hmmm....after last night in Italy, maybe I shouldn't say "light up")

Chris Sanders
13.04.2005, 19:32
Actually stuff Gerrard and Lampard. Shearer is easily the best English Player around!!! ;) :roll:

Silly Boy!! I saw him at Eastlands this season, he is still an excellent player and his goal was absolutely top class... However, he is no-longer at the top of his game... Saying that I would rather have him than most other Premiership Strikers...

He's not the best... But he's still excellent... :clap:

dyl
13.04.2005, 19:39
Just to bring this thread back on topic ..... 5 minutes to go and I just hope the red men can do us proud - there have been some magical nights in Europe for us this season - one more would be good! Either way - it's been an experience, and if it ends tonight so be it - I am sure we're on the right track with Rafa - coooooooooooooooome on!!!!

super_sop
13.04.2005, 19:44
Just wanna say good luck to the lads from the other side of the park, and heres hoping all the supporters come back safe and sound:tup

dyl
13.04.2005, 20:39
Just wanna say good luck to the lads from the other side of the park, and heres hoping all the supporters come back safe and sound:tup

Nice one Craig - and the last part of your post is the most important thing tonight I think. All said and done, it's half-time - and so far so very very good - both on and off the pitch.

Will the Sec
13.04.2005, 21:33
3 minutes??? Outrageous!

Will the Sec
13.04.2005, 21:35
Well done the Reds!

dyl
13.04.2005, 22:41
Come on!

An interesting bunch of stats just mentioned on Sky Sports News:

1978:
Wales won the Grand Slam
The Pope died
Liverpool lost the 'league cup' final to the team that went on to win the league
and.............Liverpool won the European Cup!

:)

Fingers crossed that everyone who travelled to Turin get back safely tonight.

lewis
14.04.2005, 00:23
Too many people questioned us before tonight but the boys have done us very proud indeed. Chelsea are obviously a great team now but I honestly believe that we have a chance now.

Bring on two weeks time!!!! :p:p:p:p:p:p

Chris Sanders
14.04.2005, 10:14
Will Gerrard be fit again...??

He'll need to make a good impression for his next seasons team mates!!

Chunky
14.04.2005, 10:48
Great performance by Liverpool. Has made my day easier my Sales Director is a Liverpool supporter!! He was not due in the office today, but just thought he would pop in! Funny that, wonder if he would have done had the result gone against them!!

geordiecolin
14.04.2005, 12:57
Well done Liverpool!!

On a more serious note though, although the match went off alright, there was crowd trouble before the match, which appears from most reports to have come from the Juve side. Now I'm thinking that now, after a season which has seen 2 Italian Champions League matches ABANDONED and now another one with violence, surely UEFA has to consider sanctions against the Italian clubs.

If for instance, Chelsea fans had thrown stuff at Anders Frisk (a la Roma), Man Utd fans had thrown flares (a la Inter) or Arsenal fans had thrown chairs and bottles (a la Juve), I reckon that English clubs would once more be staring a European ban in the face. No doubt, the clubs will all be fined about £2.50 and allowed to get on with it.

I think that UEFA is biased and corrupt. The amount of violence and racism in the rest of Europe (primarily Italy, Spain, Turkey) is disgraceful, but what is worse is that it repeatedly goes unpunished whilst English clubs regularly are castigated. (Newcastle were once investigated for having a flare among their fans - it was thrown into our fans from the Inter end). UEFA don't do anything about it because the Spanish and Italian clubs have long held the European power and money. It is for this reason, and the fact that they feel threatened, that UEFA seem to have declared war on Chelsea!

Rararar! Rant over! An English club in the final, and they aren't Manure!! Woohoo!!

Cornishwomble
14.04.2005, 13:33
It does seem a bit bad when Morinho get an £8000 (or was it £9K?) for making an allegation that now seems to be true. And yet the Spanish FA get a 2,500 Euro fine for their fans making monkey chants at black players. And lets not even think about the paltry fine Luis Aragones got for his remarks about Thierry Henry!

English football was bad in the past and we did deserve the band but I think it's time that UEFA started coming down hard on other countries now and stop using us a scapegoats.

Liverpool deserve to go through on performance alone but I'm also glad they did because now one set of thugs wont be allowed to enjoy the Champions league any more this season.

I just hope to God that there is no trouble between Liverpool and Chelsea and hopefully we can show the rest of the world that they don't need to worry about the spectre of English hooligans in Europe again

DublinBass
14.04.2005, 16:45
Come on!

An interesting bunch of stats just mentioned on Sky Sports News:

1978:
Wales won the Grand Slam
The Pope died
Liverpool lost the 'league cup' final to the team that went on to win the league
and.............Liverpool won the European Cup!

There was another one in the Sun today
1981: Prince Charles gets married (a few other bits) &
Liverpool wins the European Cup

Ban Inter for 3 years and Juve for 1 for the disgracegul acts of their fans!!!
(Oh and you can give one of those spots in the Champions League to Liverpool if some how they win Europe, but don't finish in the top 4 domestically)

ian perks
14.04.2005, 16:57
GOOD BYE RAVIOLI BOYS:biggrin:
RAFAS MIGHTY REDS JUST MARCH ON.:tup :tup :clap: :woo

I heard game on Radio yes a few scary moments but CISSIE back, playing just got to be good news.
The last 4 now just think no one rated us to get past the last 16!!!!or get to knock out stages:biggrin:

Cornishwomble
14.04.2005, 17:04
Chelsea are being touted as the favourites, but Juventus were favourites to win the Champions league at the start of the campaign, which makes Liverpool's victory even sweeter.

I think it will be one hell of a game and as usual Anfield will provide a "12th" man for the Reds, something that I don't think will be found at the bridge

madandcrazytromboneguy
18.04.2005, 15:26
1. CHELSEA
2. ARSENAL
3. MAN. UTD
4. LIVERPOOL
5. MIDD*****ROUGH
6. BOLTON
7. NEWCASTLE
8. EVERTON
9. FULHAM
10. A.VILLA
11. CHARLTON
12. TOTTENHAM
13. MAN. CITY
14. BIRMINGHAM
15. SOUTHAMPTON
16. PORTSMOUTH
17. BLACKBURN
18. W.BROM
19. C.PALACE
20. NORWICH

that was my old prediction a few pages ago, this is my new prediction which i'll just about stick with now coz we are near the end of the season

1. CHELSEA
2. ARSENAL
3. MAN. UTD
4. EVERTON
5. BOLTON
6. MIDDLESBROUGH
7. LIVERPOOL
8. TOTTENHAM
9. ASTON VILLA
10. CHARLTON
11. MAN. CITY
12. NEWCASTLE
13. BIRMINGHAM
14. FULHAM
15. PORTSMOUTH
16. BLACKBURN
17. SOUTHAMPTON
18. WEST BROM.
19. C. PALACE
20. NORWICH

Dont know whether u'll prefer that prediction 2 my previous 1 but any comments on it would be interesting, where do you all think everyone will finish this season?

lewis
19.04.2005, 18:18
Sadly I'm not sure I completely disagree with your prediction of Liverpool coming 7th but I do still have a good feeling about the semi-finals! Come on you reds!:terrier:terrier

dyl
03.05.2005, 22:09
One word:

GETTIN!

Did anyone mention the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL?

Oh, and another word, especially for Mr. Mourinho:

Sssssssshhhhh!!!

Will the Sec
03.05.2005, 22:17
:mad:

Bang goes Fulham's money making at Stanford Bridge...... bet you didn't consider that, DID you, Dyl.

Nevertheless
:clap:

as a true Brit, I will be cheering the Scousers on in Istanbul, and praying that the fans get to and from the event unscathed. Daft place to hold the final, IMHO.

Will the Sec
03.05.2005, 22:19
that was my old prediction a few pages ago, this is my new prediction which i'll just about stick with now coz we are near the end of the season

Dont know whether u'll prefer that prediction 2 my previous 1 but any comments on it would be interesting, where do you all think everyone will finish this season?

I'm sure BBC Bari will happily do an analysis of your prediction once it's all over...

:eek:

dyl
03.05.2005, 22:28
Bang goes Fulham's money making at Stanford Bridge...... bet you didn't consider that, DID you, Dyl.

You should have said so earlier Will - then I'd have wanted the 'cheaing chavs' to go through! Believe that, and you'll believe anything!

And another thing - John Terry - best English defender? Pah! Step forward Jamie Carragher - like the 'over-rated' Steven Gerrard said - "immense performance". :clap:

DublinBass
03.05.2005, 23:05
I'm sure BBC Bari will happily do an analysis of your prediction once it's all over...

:eek:

I'll pass on that one...

hmph Dodgy goal hmph

dyl
03.05.2005, 23:12
hmph - would you have preferred a penalty and red card for Cech then? - hmph

;)

lewis
03.05.2005, 23:48
Amazing, I nearly pulled all my hair out and haven't done my knuckles any favours but it was all worth it. I've already had people right us off against AC but bring it on!!!

The mighty reds are back in their rightful place.

2nd man down
04.05.2005, 00:32
Amazing, I nearly pulled all my hair out and haven't done my knuckles any favours but it was all worth it.

:shock:

well quite...

Well done the Pool, just hope you can carry in on past Milan. Good to see you back near the top of the European scene tho.

Band Lads Army
04.05.2005, 01:33
:shock:

well quite...

Well done the Pool, just hope you can carry in on past Milan. Good to see you back near the top of the European scene tho.

Was just about to start a thread if there wasn't one already. Huge LFC fan ,whata night.

How lucky was I ,Sa Band practice was called off!! :biggrin:

Thank You lord :tup

Liverpool are going all the way!

Chelsea who?

Chunky
04.05.2005, 06:21
Great result for Liverpool last night, and as people have said, what a performance from Jamie Carragher, he was awesome last night.

I could not understand though how Baros got booked for his challenge on can't quite remember who, yet Caravallo sp? was consistently fouling, yet did not get shown a card!

Great to have any English side (with one exception) in the Champions League Final, but especially to see Liverpool back there is great. Good luck the Reds

DublinBass
04.05.2005, 07:31

;)

I wouldn't be a proper bitter supporter if I didn't think the adjudictors..err.. referees stile the match from Chelsea ;)

Well...hopefully Liverpool will bring the Silver back to England...I'll leave it up to Chelsea to keep in the country the next few years then ;)

Chunky
04.05.2005, 08:36
I wouldn't be a proper bitter supporter if I didn't think the adjudictors..err.. referees stile the match from Chelsea ;)

You would have to be bitter and misguided! The referee was definitely favouring Chelsea otherwise he would have at the very least booked Cech for the initial foul that lead to the goal.

As I said above Caravallho should have been booked for persistent misconduct.

6 minutes added time, where from?

Please note proper supporters do not blame the officials for their own teams faliure to create scoring chances from their possession!

DublinBass
04.05.2005, 08:50
You would have to be bitter and misguided! The referee was definitely favouring Chelsea otherwise he would have at the very least booked Cech for the initial foul that lead to the goal.

As I said above Caravallho should have been booked for persistent misconduct.

6 minutes added time, where from?

I have to admit all I saw was form the highlights on ITV as we had band rehearsal preparing for the spring festival this weekend :S so I didn't see Carvallho's persistent misconduct.

I heard the added time hd something to do with the nutters that ran out on the pitch...don't know how much that really delayed play though.

Please note proper supporters do not blame the officials for their own teams faliure to create scoring chances from their possession!

True...but Proper BITTER supporters do ;)

(Actually it is quite pathetic to think that in 270 minutes of regulation cup time against Liverpool, Chelsea never put the ball in the back of the net!!)

lewis
04.05.2005, 12:13
(Actually it is quite pathetic to think that in 270 minutes of regulation cup time against Liverpool, Chelsea never put the ball in the back of the net!!)

I think as liverpool fans we have to be thankful that Lampard had the worst miss of his season in the first leg and that Drogba and Kezman are consistantly useless!

As for cheating refs the rules clearly state that if the referee is unsure then the benefit of the doubt should be given to the attacking team, which it was ;-)

And agree, 6 mins?? If Gudjohnson had scored in the last minute I might well have killed someone in the pub last night. Carragher, Hypia, Biscan, Hamann, Finnan and Gerrard defended as if their lives depended on it last night they were utterly amazing.

ian perks
04.05.2005, 14:34
RED IS THE COLOUR LIVERPOOL & RAFA IS THE NAME

we are all together and GOOD BYE CHELSEA we showed you our GAME:biggrin:

Well its now into the final, i bet not many would have said LIVERPOOL would get into the final at the very start of Champions Leauge, group stages.
At long last its GREAT to see LIVERPOOL BACK where they belong.
There were 5 Very Happy LIVERPOOL Fans at band practise last night.
But our concentration was not the best until we knew what the result was.
So come on AC MILAN lets see what you can do now/ can PSV come up with a shock result tonight?
Did anyone see Match Of The Day on Saturday Night?
Rafa was not to happy with LIVERPOOL but now its:biggrin:

IYOUNG
04.05.2005, 15:46
Well well, although I will confess Liverpool did defend well in both legs is this what its come to then?

The total stifling of the team with the flair

A sad day for lovers of the beautiful game

Aardvark
04.05.2005, 18:22

;)

Might as well have sent him off as he had nothing to do after that ;)

Actually - I think the chosen one missed a trick there - he should have taken Cech off and put another outfield player on (probably still wouldn't have scored the way they played:rolleyes: )

But, as an Everton fan - I have to say.....it wasn't pretty (yes, we know all about that....before you say it) but Liverpool deserved to win last night.

dyl
04.05.2005, 18:42
Well well, although I will confess Liverpool did defend well in both legs is this what its come to then?

The total stifling of the team with the flair

A sad day for lovers of the beautiful game

That has to be one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen - and that includes your constant Stevie G bashing on the other thread! No flair involved in Liverpool's preparation for the goal then? No flair in the not-world-class SG's pass to Baros?

As for defending well and nicking a one-goal lead - how many 1-0s did Chelsea have at the beginning of the season?

Yes Liverpool did stifle Chelsea - please show me where in the rules it says that's not allowed. And what was the master tactician's - the self-styled 'chosen one's answer? Stick a central defender up front for the last 15 minutes and hoof the ball up to him! Give me a break - there are many ways to win a football match.

Anyway - I don't care about any bitter opinions - Liverpool are in the Champions League Final - having beaten Deportivo, Juventus and Chelsea along the way - even the bitterest of blues or mancs can't say it's not deserved.

DublinBass
04.05.2005, 18:52
Anyway - I don't care about any bitter opinions - Liverpool are in the Champions League Final - having beaten Deportivo, Juventus and Chelsea along the way - even the bitterest of blues or mancs can't say it's not deserved.

They just better be d*** well sure they bring the f****** cup to England...errr. Britian (sorry Dyl ;))

Will the Sec
04.05.2005, 19:23
They just better be d*** well sure they bring the f****** cup to England...errr. Britian (sorry Dyl ;))

Nope, right the first time.

Welsh clubs CAN qualify for Europe in their own right via the League of Wales and about 300 qualifying rounds. Which raises the question - What is Dyl's local team?:evil:

dyl
04.05.2005, 19:57
Hehe - nice one! Don't see Deiniolen managing to qualify for the Champions League somehow! ;)

IYOUNG
04.05.2005, 22:38
That has to be one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen - and that includes your constant Stevie G bashing on the other thread! No flair involved in Liverpool's preparation for the goal then? No flair in the not-world-class SG's pass to Baros?

As for defending well and nicking a one-goal lead - how many 1-0s did Chelsea have at the beginning of the season?

Yes Liverpool did stifle Chelsea - please show me where in the rules it says that's not allowed. And what was the master tactician's - the self-styled 'chosen one's answer? Stick a central defender up front for the last 15 minutes and hoof the ball up to him! Give me a break - there are many ways to win a football match.

Even the most die hard red surely will accept Chelsea have been the team of the year and thats coming from an ARSENAL supporter.

I never said it was in the rules either, what I said was i would rather watch flair football than a defensive game that Liverpool put up. Indeed there are many ways to win a footie match (George Grahams team ten years or so back had it to a fine art), but good to watch it is not IMHO.

You say you don't care, thats fine your choice and if I may say half the problem with supporters in general very blimkered. I care about quality in my football thanks.

This is a thread about footie opinions isn't it? and anti Liverpool comments if thats how you see it are just as valid as pro ones i'm afraid.

Ian

Chunky
04.05.2005, 23:05
I for one had no problem with Liverpools tactics. What it did show was you can have all the money you want, assemble the finest team with the best players, but you still need to score a goal. Chelsea failed to do so, and to be honest, really create a clear cut chance, with the exception of Gudjohnsens chance in the last minute.

Purist football does not have to be free flowing it can be just as enjoyable seeing 2 managers at the top of their game play a chess like tactical game.

Be proud that we have a representative in the Champions League Final again and that they have betaen some top sides to get there.

Perhaps Arsenal could learn from Liverpools tactics. Now don't tell me you would not be happy, if Arsenal qualified for the Champions League Final (or even a semi-final would be good for them) playing that style because you would be talking rubbish.

I support my beloved Norwich, and as much as the win over the Mancs was fantatsic I would have far rather played out 38 goaless draws and stayed up then come next weekend say well we went for it, beat Man Utd, played football yet still got relegated.

Please join us in the real world Mr Young.

lynchie
04.05.2005, 23:36
greece did the same thing in the european chamionships... I think that it says a lot about the heart of players. Greece were by no means the best team in Europe, but they worked hard, and never stropped about like some of the "world class" guys that were flouncing about...

IYOUNG
05.05.2005, 09:49
I for one had no problem with Liverpools tactics. What it did show was you can have all the money you want, assemble the finest team with the best players, but you still need to score a goal. Chelsea failed to do so, and to be honest, really create a clear cut chance, with the exception of Gudjohnsens chance in the last minute.

Purist football does not have to be free flowing it can be just as enjoyable seeing 2 managers at the top of their game play a chess like tactical game.

Be proud that we have a representative in the Champions League Final again and that they have betaen some top sides to get there.

Perhaps Arsenal could learn from Liverpools tactics. Now don't tell me you would not be happy, if Arsenal qualified for the Champions League Final (or even a semi-final would be good for them) playing that style because you would be talking rubbish.

I support my beloved Norwich, and as much as the win over the Mancs was fantatsic I would have far rather played out 38 goaless draws and stayed up then come next weekend say well we went for it, beat Man Utd, played football yet still got relegated.

Please join us in the real world Mr Young.

I don't deny Liverpool a place in the final, as you say their tactics were good enough to win them through against a dissapointing Chelsea on the night and previous teams before them.

I can understand Liverpool supporters excitement as well.

However blindly following your team without any consideration of their style and tactics and how that impacts on the game in general is in IMHO rather short sighted. I prefer the bigger picture.

If all that anyone can come back with is an accussation of Bitterness from a supporter of another team then that again is rather tame debate.

Greece winning the EURO's was a similar scenario, yes great for Greece fans but at the end of the day I want to see a final celebrating all that is good about football. I doubt Liverpool will give me that.

Chunky
05.05.2005, 10:04
However blindly following your team without any consideration of their style and tactics and how that impacts on the game in general is in IMHO rather short sighted. I prefer the bigger picture.

So please answer my question. As an Arsenal supporter you would not be happy if your team reached the Champions League Final by nullifying the oppositions strengths?

IYOUNG
05.05.2005, 10:58
[QUOTE=Chunky]
Now don't tell me you would not be happy, if Arsenal qualified for the Champions League Final (or even a semi-final would be good for them) playing that style because you would be talking rubbish.

Haven't you already answered this for me?

Unless I give you the answer you want you will say I am talking rubbish

Arsenal Chelsea and Man Utd have taken the quality of football played in the premiership to a new higher level, I don't beleive Liverpool have attained a similar level as yet (i'm not saying they won't)

Chunky
05.05.2005, 11:16
Haven't you already answered this for me?

Unless I give you the answer you want you will say I am talking rubbish

Arsenal Chelsea and Man Utd have taken the quality of football played in the premiership to a new higher level, I don't beleive Liverpool have attained a similar level as yet (i'm not saying they won't)

I may have answered it, but thats my opinion not yours which is what I would like to hear and that is what I was asking to hear. As I said I find it hard to believe you would rather see your side lose and be relegated, than be defensive and secure results. Whilst it would be lovely if clubs and supporters felt like that so we could all enjoy the pure game, it will never happen due to the competitive nature of the sport.

As for the 3 clubs you mention taking it to a new level, I agree they are a class apart, but I feel it is better for the game overall if sides find ways of negating theses clubs therefore making the league more competitive and interesting. Afterall who wants to watch a 3 horse race year in year out, when you could watch a 10 or 20 horse race!

Until the likes of Liverpool beat these clubs on a more regular basis, by whatever tactics and challenge the supremacy the top 3 have, the clubs playing catch up will never attract the kind of players needed for more clubs to play the beautiful game.

IYOUNG
05.05.2005, 11:27
I may have answered it, but thats my opinion not yours which is what I would like to hear and that is what I was asking to hear.

As for the 3 clubs you mention taking it to a new level, I agree they are a class apart, but I feel it is better for the game overall if sides find ways of negating theses clubs therefore making the league more competitive and interesting. Afterall who wants to watch a 3 horse race year in year out, when you could watch a 10 or 20 horse race!

Until the likes of Liverpool beat these clubs on a more regular basis, by whatever tactics and challenge the supremacy the top 3 have, the clubs playing catch up will never attract the kind of players needed for more clubs to play the beautiful game.

I support my team passionately, probably as much as you do, but what i won't do is follow them blindly without a proper opinion on whether they play attractive football or not.

Of course if they win thats great but I wouldn't come on here with statements suggesting they are something they are not.

If you want to bring the standard down in the premiership by negative tactics then thats an view you can rightly have. Wouldn't you rather have a growing number of teams competing at a higher standard in the long run?

dyl
05.05.2005, 17:24
negative tactics

Negative tactics? If the tactics in question achieve a positive result - in this case a place in the Champions League Final - how can they be termed 'negative' - surely the tactics in use have had a positive effect? :rolleyes:

Stats from the match:

First Half
BALL POSSESSION
Liverpool: 52%
Chelsea: 48%
TOTAL SHOTS
Liverpool: 3
Chelsea: 2
SHOTS ON TARGET
Liverpool: 2
Chelsea: 0

Second Half
BALL POSSESSION
Liverpool: 47%
Chelsea: 53%
TOTAL SHOTS On GOAL
Liverpool: 7
Chelsea: 12
SHOTS ON TARGET
Liverpool: 4
Chelsea: 1

Hmmmm - doesn't look to me like there was a huge gulf in the different tactics used - possession more or less evened itself out (especially considering Chelsea had an extra 6 minutes to do something in the 2nd half), total shots 10-14, on-target: 6-1

Which game were you watching? ;)

IYOUNG
05.05.2005, 20:03
Negative tactics? If the tactics in question achieve a positive result - in this case a place in the Champions League Final - how can they be termed 'negative' - surely the tactics in use have had a positive effect? :rolleyes:

Which game were you watching? ;)

Nice try Dyl, sure the negative tactics produced a positive result for Liverpool but not to the millions wanting entertainment from '' two of the best 4 teams in Europe''

watched the same game as you but from a neutral perspective without Red tinted glasses.

Good now to see the FA making a sensible decision about the 4th spot in next seasons competition

dyl
05.05.2005, 22:18
Nice try Dyl, sure the negative tactics produced a positive result for Liverpool but not to the millions wanting entertainment from '' two of the best 4 teams in Europe''

I guess the same could be said for Chelsea's lack of clear-cut scoring chances. Mind you, Arsenal did provide a great deal of entertainment in this year's competition, particularly to Bayern Munich fans! :p

Good now to see the FA making a sensible decision about the 4th spot in next seasons competition

Totally agree with you there (makes a change eh ;) ) - the fourth placed team, and it certainly looks like being Everton, deserve to be there on merit, and fair play to them, it's not fair to change the rules 'after the event'.

manx_yessir
05.05.2005, 23:10
For those of you sla*ging The Mighty Liverpool™ for being negative, I bet you'd be jumping up and down if it were your team through to the Champion's league Final wouldn't you!? Now sit down and SSSSSSSSHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Ave IT!!!

Champions League, we're havin a laugh
etc......

Tell me ma, me ma
I won't be home for tea
We're going to Tuuuurkey
Tell me ma, me ma!!

Come On!!

The End :D

IYOUNG
09.05.2005, 13:24
saw the mighty red machine at first hand yesterday afternoon

You Reds out there need a reality check.....the gooners totally outplayed you

super_sop
09.05.2005, 18:04
For those of you sla*ging The Mighty Liverpool™ for being negative, I bet you'd be jumping up and down if it were your team through to the Champion's league Final wouldn't you!? Now sit down and SSSSSSSSHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Ave IT!!!
:D

I would imagine there are a few teams wishing they were in Everton FC's place, with a chance of champions league football next year!!!:biggrin::wink:

Chris Sanders
09.05.2005, 19:07
Very impressed with the way Jamie Carragher (http://www.lfconline.com/news/loadfeat.asp?cid=ED31&id=109024)'s played this season.

If you dont get into the Champions League and Gerrard stays I expect we'll see Liverpool having a good Premiership run next season...

dyl
09.05.2005, 20:21
You Reds out there need a reality check.....the gooners totally outplayed you

............for 45 minutes (just to finish off the sentence for you)

IYOUNG
10.05.2005, 10:00
............for 45 minutes (just to finish off the sentence for you)

Thanks for confirming my initial thoughts that a reality check is required!!

dyl
10.05.2005, 23:04
Thanks for that - you've also confirmed something to me - but I'll keep it to myself.

Now come on - are you seriously suggesting that Arsenal 'totally outplayed' Liverpool for the whole match? I've already agreed with you that was the case in the first half - but not even the most blinkered Arsenal fan can say that's the case for the second half - or were the prawn sandwiches blocking your view by then? I don't know - you're sounding more and more like Arsene Whinger with every post!

Enough is enough - we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one - enjoy your final match of the season - we have another two to play - one being the Champions League Final :p

geordiecolin
11.05.2005, 12:31

I always thought it was:

City of Culture? You're having a laugh
:eek: :biggrin:

Bob Basquavic
11.05.2005, 16:53
I think you'll find newcastle's fine team spirit is the thing to be laughing at these days!:wink:

Chris Sanders
11.05.2005, 17:30
you're sounding more and more like Arsene Whinger with every post!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

geordiecolin
11.05.2005, 20:24
I think you'll find newcastle's fine team spirit is the thing to be laughing at these days!:wink:

Yeah shut and go back to your goats Brown.

DublinBass
12.05.2005, 07:33
Now come on - are you seriously suggesting that Arsenal 'totally outplayed' Liverpool for the whole match?

While that is debatable...

There is no doubt that Arsenal outplayed the other Merseyside Squad the entire match last night...what a pasting!!!

IYOUNG
12.05.2005, 07:50
While that is debatable...

There is no doubt that Arsenal outplayed the other Merseyside Squad the entire match last night...what a pasting!!!

I recall earlier in the thread I mentioned the '' Beautiful Game'' I trust you were all watching last night.......

Fantastic

Chris Sanders
12.05.2005, 08:39
I recall earlier in the thread I mentioned the '' Beautiful Game'' I trust you were all watching last night.......

Fantastic

They were fantastic last night... :clap:

WoodenFlugel
12.05.2005, 16:24
I've just recieved this....it could be the news all you reds are wanting to hear....

http://www.aircollector.com/uefa.htm (http://www.aircollector.com/uefa.htm)

;)

ian perks
14.05.2005, 17:34
well its the last game of season.

But it would be nice to win it:clap:
And then we step forward to THE BIG ONE:biggrin:

dyl
21.05.2005, 23:43
Well the Cup Final today showed an excellent free-flowing attacking style of football from the Gooners didn't it?

;)

IYOUNG
22.05.2005, 19:06
Well the Cup Final today showed an excellent free-flowing attacking style of football from the Gooners didn't it?

;)

HA HA GET IN

Don't you just love it - played absolute pants and still the great Red Devils can't win !!!!

Makes it even sweeter!!!!

lynchie
22.05.2005, 19:34
so are you planning to moan angrily about how your team played rubbish defensive football, and fluked the win? I doubt it...

Double standards anyone?

IYOUNG
22.05.2005, 20:47
so are you planning to moan angrily about how your team played rubbish defensive football, and fluked the win? I doubt it...

Double standards anyone?

Firstly: Fluked the win? Since when has drawing 0-0 followed by scoring more penalties than the other team been a fluke? I agree choosing a winner on a shoot out is a lottery but never a fluke Did you see the 5 Arsenal penalties? top drawer all 5. Man Utd had 4 top drawer penalties and one well saved by Lehman enough said.

In addition missed a hatful of chances hardly Arsenal fault?

Anyhow: I'm not niave enough or foolish enough to give you what you want and defend the Gooners display yesterday. What I would say is that I think you would have to agree that over the past 2 seasons Arsenal can hardly be described as dull and boring can they?

Not sure any real Liverpool followers could put there hand on their heart and say their team is the most attractive to watch.

Chris Sanders
23.05.2005, 00:20
Firstly: Fluked the win? Since when has drawing 0-0 followed by scoring more penalties than the other team been a fluke? I agree choosing a winner on a shoot out is a lottery but never a fluke Did you see the 5 Arsenal penalties? top drawer all 5. Man Utd had 4 top drawer penalties and one well saved by Lehman enough said.

In addition missed a hatful of chances hardly Arsenal fault?

Anyhow: I'm not niave enough or foolish enough to give you what you want and defend the Gooners display yesterday. What I would say is that I think you would have to agree that over the past 2 seasons Arsenal can hardly be described as dull and boring can they?

Not sure any real Liverpool followers could put there hand on their heart and say their team is the most attractive to watch.

ARSEnal were lucky...

And as much as I love to see the scum lose, ARSEnal didnt earn that trophy, and you know it as much as everyone else...

It was all about luck... Forget Pens, Forget Matches, next season we should draw the winner from a hat!!

Chris Sanders
23.05.2005, 00:23
Since im impartial, I think it is fair for me to say that I would much sooner watch any Liverpool match than ARSEnal yesterday... Where was the class we saw against Everton...??

DublinBass
23.05.2005, 00:31
ARSEnal were lucky...

And as much as I love to see the scum lose, ARSEnal didnt earn that trophy, and you know it as much as everyone else...

It was all about luck... Forget Pens, Forget Matches, next season we should draw the winner from a hat!!

I have to disagree with you a bit Sand man (BTW we were alongside Hade Edge at a few venuw at whits and I couldn't seem t find you).

****-ANAL's goal I think was to hold it even and take it to PKs as that's the only chance they had...

Their defenCe held strong and they did it

Now all the English Cups are in London...where they will probably stay the next 5 or so years!!!

Chris Sanders
23.05.2005, 00:39
BTW we were alongside Hade Edge at a few venuw at whits and I couldn't seem t find you

Sorry, I was busy organising routes and running around... It was madness...

I didnt think either team were worthy of silverware?? Is it me but was there no spark of top-class??

Now all the English Cups are in London...where they will probably stay the next 5 or so years!!!

I agree, but hope not....

IYOUNG
23.05.2005, 09:16
ARSEnal were lucky...

Once again we have someone telling me what I know

I am afraid that UTD didn't put the ball in the net which I think you will agree is a major aspect of the game. That is UTD's fault not Arsenal's . Lehman made some good saves and that is what he is there for. Llunjberg made a great goal line clearance which I agree was great defending but not lucky in any way.

Would you say Lehman was lucky saving Scholes penalty.........no I thought not

As I have said Arsenal didn't play well at all I admit it, defensive just for once they may have been but lucky they weren't.

Jamie
23.05.2005, 11:27
For my 2p's worth... Arsenal were pretty rubbish. However, if, in something like 10 shots on goal you can't put it in, you're not all that worthy of the silverware either. When it comes down to it, all those fans arguing that it was just a matter of time before Utd scored need to explain exactly when they thought that would be... how long do you need?!

In the end, neither team played their best football, but Arsenal were particularly lame. Those who want to accuse Arsenal of being rubbish, however, and then say it's their fault they didn't win, want to have their cake and eat it. If Arsenal were rubbish but weren't beaten, then Utd can hardly make themselves feel better by complaining that they were robbed when they couldn't do any better... they can't have been all that great either.

Anyway... that's enough of that. And yes, I am an Arsenal fan. ;)

WoodenFlugel
23.05.2005, 12:56
Folks, the title / topic of this thread is LIVERPOOL football club not "did Arsenal deserve to win on Saturday". If you have any comments with respect to Saturday's result then please post them in the "FA cup" (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14372) thread. In the meantime, lets return to posting on-topic replies here please.

manx_yessir
25.05.2005, 12:22
Yeah go bore someone else with your ARSEnal and Man Ure rubbish. :wink:

Back to The Mighty Liverpool - so who thinks we can win tonight?
My prediction? Liverpool to win 2-1, scorers Cisse & Hyypia

Ave it!! :bounce

flower girl
25.05.2005, 13:28
ha ha ha, so u lot really do believe that liverpool have a chance tonight.... i needed something to make me laugh so thanks

Cornishwomble
25.05.2005, 16:49
ha ha ha, so u lot really do believe that liverpool have a chance tonight.... i needed something to make me laugh so thanks

So speaks someone who knows nothing about football ;)

Liverpool on paper haven't got a chance, but then they didn't on paper against Juve and Chelski but still did the business.

AC Milan were pony against PSV and if they play like that tonight then Liverpool will definately win.

I just hope that Liverpool don't freeze on the big occasion and that AC's defence show signs of age and not experience. Not quite convinced that Kewell starting is a good idea but then again he might have the game of his life.

Good luck Liverpool!!

super_sop
25.05.2005, 17:01
Aye, what ^ said.

good luck to liv erm........ the other team on Moyseyside:biggrin:

manx_yessir
25.05.2005, 17:06

So say's Emley's version of Alan Hansen. Not. :rolleyes: Sticking to knitting chuck there's a good girl. :biggrin: :lol:

If we don't happen to win tonight, we'll just rob the cup anyway, being the thieving scousers that we are! :biggrin: 8)

Steve
25.05.2005, 17:22
Have been watching this thread with interest and Im really pleased to see there is so much support from other English fans for the only English team left in Europe!!! Granted, I wont be cheering Everton on in the early rounds next year but this is a chance for English football to win back some much deserved credibility.

We DO stand a chance tonight, I have a good lump of money on us winning and I am seriously tight with cash so............... do it for Crazy Horse chaps. 2-1 Liverpool

Chris Sanders
25.05.2005, 18:18
We DO stand a chance tonight

Theres always a chance...

Go On Liverpool!!

Never thought id see myself type that as a Mancunian Blue...

dyl
25.05.2005, 18:20
do it for Crazy Horse chaps

Well said mate. I take it the other tMP Reds are bricking it as much as I am? Anyhow - finished work early - Stellas are cold - and win or loose - I'm going to enjoy tonight.

Chunky
25.05.2005, 18:41
............... do it for Crazy Horse chaps. 2-1 Liverpool

Yep I'm sure the great man will be looking down with pride tonight. I don't care how the do it, but do it for all of England and the great man Emlyn.

I also hope Liverpool win for a personal reason. My boss is in Istanbul having spent a considerable amount of cash on tickets and flights. If they lose, I dread seeing him back in the office!

bigmamabadger
25.05.2005, 18:58
To the tune of Cwm Rhondda:

"Going down, going down, Liverpool are going down, Liverpool are going down!"
Ha ha!

Demon Badger:p :p :p
xx

dyl
25.05.2005, 20:41
win or loose - I'm going to enjoy tonight.

Correction - not enjoying this one bit. :oops: :(

bigmamabadger
25.05.2005, 20:41
OK, was being inflammatory with that last post, but at 3-0 down going into the 2nd half, am not sanguine about L'pools chances!

Hmmm.
BMB
xx

Jan H
25.05.2005, 21:01
3-2 now and 35 minutes to go...!

LeDragon
25.05.2005, 21:05
I can't believe what i'm watching here - what a match!!!!

WoodenFlugel
25.05.2005, 21:45
Correction - not enjoying this one bit. :oops: :(

I'll bet you enjoyed the second half more than the first Dyl :D

...hoping they finish the job now

MRSH
25.05.2005, 22:32
Speechless - what a game. And all credit to Liverpool. What a comeback.

As one hoping that Liverpool didn't win - I was actually cheering for them in the end.

I take my hat off. And a big big well done.

On the second half performance they deserved it.

Cheers

Will the Sec
25.05.2005, 22:32
"And Milan is happy in the middle of the pitch! Oh. Milan Baros, that is!"

Quality!

bigmamabadger
25.05.2005, 22:38
Jammy scouse *******s! How did they manage that! Not a bad match I suppose.
OK, the badger eats humble pie. Always magnanimous in defeat, badgers. EvilDaddyBadger is prancing round the room singing "You'll Never Walk Alone". Git.
BMB
xx

MickM
25.05.2005, 22:59
WE ARE THE

CHAMPIONS
:woo :woo :woo :woo :clap: :clap: :clap:

IYOUNG
25.05.2005, 23:03
Well Well Well an exciting match involving Liverpool whatever next!!!!!!

Seriously great game and all credit to Liverpool for an amazing come back and what a save from Dudek at the end there.

Boneman
25.05.2005, 23:18
Well done Liverpool - A fantastic result.

dyl
25.05.2005, 23:22
I'll bet you enjoyed the second half more than the first Dyl :D

Why? What happened?

;)

What an unbelievable match!!!!! It's been one hell of a ride in the Champs League this season .... boy has that team done us proud. Thanks!

super_sop
26.05.2005, 00:00
fantastic result, and a great second half to the game.

well done reds

DublinBass
26.05.2005, 00:10
Congrats to Liverpool...glad to see the European Cup is in England...hope it stays there!!!

I think Inter ought to have to play Liverpool to qualify for next year. (kick those nasty fans out!!)

McChambo
26.05.2005, 00:26
".........over the moon Gary!"

Superb result for the mighty reds!

HorniKaz
26.05.2005, 00:29
:clap: What a come back!! Steven Gerard played a blinder!!:clap:

IYOUNG
26.05.2005, 07:48
Us tmp'ers know exactly what we are talking about don't we

all thas been said on this thread, we saw it all last night

For 45 minutes Liverpool were awful
For 20 minutes Fantastic
The remaining minutes Defensive

So we are all right.......well done everyone!!!!

and once again congratulation to the Reds and those marvellous fans

manx_yessir
26.05.2005, 09:30
After last night I'm now going to have to retire from cornet playing........after I'd finished chewing my fingernails, I started on my fingers, so I'm now fingerless!!

What a fantastic, mindblowing, awesome, nailbiting, awe inspiring, unbelievable, heroic, nerve tingling, game of football!!

COME ONE!!

During all of Liverpool's other Chamions League games, I've watched while wearing my yellow away top, but last night I decided to wear the red T-shirt I'd bought, that has all Liverpool's results from previous rounds on. At half time I went upstairs and changed back into the yellow one and my girlfriend laughed at me and said it'd make no difference! I beg to differ!! Supersticious nonsense maybe, but it worked!!

The Mighty Liverpool are back!
As has been said, that one was for Emlyn & the 96

You'll Never Walk Alone

2nd man down
26.05.2005, 09:38
what a game

what a disastrous first half

what an inspirational captain

what a come back!!!!

what a double save late in extra time

what a dramatic shoot out

what an atmosphere

what a party

what a hangover

what the hell was the final doing being played in Istanbul?!?!?

The REAL reds are back, and that European cup is staying where it belongs.

manx_yessir
26.05.2005, 09:38
Oh yeah, I nearly forgot...........Ave it!!

:clap: :woo :clap: :woo :clap: :woo :clap: :woo

:metal: :guiness :bounce :lol: :wow

flower girl
26.05.2005, 10:16
Fantastic match, i take back all i said yesterday about them not winning (hey there's a first for you, a mancherster united fan admitting to being wrong) however, still not sure how they managed it :clap:

2nd man down
26.05.2005, 10:20
Fantastic match, i take back all i said yesterday about them not winning (hey there's a first for you, a mancherster united fan admitting to being wrong) however, still not sure how they managed it :clap:

huh?? You're a Blackpool fan aren't you?!?!? You definitely told me Blackpool!!

flower girl
26.05.2005, 10:28
yeah but i dont like admit to that, i've grown up wi both teams, if it came down to it i'd pick blackpool no contest.

Cornishwomble
26.05.2005, 12:30
Told you she wasn't a proper football fan! OOh I'll suport the team that has won stuff. ;)

I had a feeling that AC Milan would bottle it last night but for the whole match, would never have belived that they would throw away a 3 goal lead.

Rafa has proved what a top manager he is. It's easy to be a manager when you have a great team and they go out and blast the opposition away. When you are 3-0 down then you have to earn your money and he did it big time.

Great for English football and I believe that we could in a couple of seasons begin to dominate the European cup as we did 20 years ago

AVE IT!!!!

flower girl
26.05.2005, 12:36
actually they're the teams i was brought up with because of where my families from :tongue: . n blackpool dont do winning

2nd man down
26.05.2005, 12:38
Told you she wasn't a proper football fan! OOh I'll suport the team that has won stuff. ;)

I had a feeling that AC Milan would bottle it last night but for the whole match, would never have belived that they would throw away a 3 goal lead.

Rafa has proved what a top manager he is. It's easy to be a manager when you have a great team and they go out and blast the opposition away. When you are 3-0 down then you have to earn your money and he did it big time.

Great for English football and I believe that we could in a couple of seasons begin to dominate the European cup as we did 20 years ago

AVE IT!!!!

Absolutely, you earn your plaudits when you can inspire your team to come back from that, and under all that pressure too.

Congrats Liverpool, having defeated the Italian Champions and their next nearest Italian rivals, AND the English Champions too along the way, nobody deserves that trophy more. :clap:

becks164
26.05.2005, 13:04
A couple of good games and you start saying you'll win the Champions League - lets get real here!

we did get real by watching the mighty reds play last nite what a second half performance that was out of this world!!!! get in liverpool i knew you could do it

Cornishwomble
26.05.2005, 13:08
How we've missed his wisdom ;)

manx_yessir
26.05.2005, 15:00
watching Liverpool is quite tedious at times

Ha HA Ha!! Found this earlier in the thread. Yeah it was so tedious last night that I started dozing off....not!

You want ketchup on those words mate!? :clap:

Chunky
26.05.2005, 15:13
Has to be the greatest comeback in a major final of all time. Many congratulations to all Liverpool supporters on here. :clap: :clap:

Steve
26.05.2005, 15:20
Sore neck, pulled muscles in my shoulders, hangover, losing my voice and have honestly never felt better. What a night, what a performance, what a team, what a club. Thank you for one of the greatest nights of my life...so proud.

Chunky
26.05.2005, 15:35
Sore neck, pulled muscles in my shoulders, hangover, losing my voice and have honestly never felt better. What a night, what a performance, what a team, what a club. Thank you for one of the greatest nights of my life...so proud.

Back on topic Steve, this is about Liverpool FC not about our performance Friday night :wink:

ian perks
26.05.2005, 15:44
Kick Off AC Milan 0 Liverpool 0:cool:

51 Seconds Maldini GOAL :eek: AC Milan 1 Liverpool 0
18th minute Kewell off injured:redface:
39 Minutes Crespo GOAL:frown: AC Milan 2 Liverpool 0
44 Minutes Crespo GOAL :mad: AC Milan 3 Liverpool 0

HALF TIME:oops:

Second Half
Didi Harman on as subtitute
54 Minutes Gerrard GOAL :) AC Milan 3 Liverpool 1
56 Minutes Smicer GOAL :clap: AC MIlan 3 Liverpool 2
58th Minute Penalty :tongue: Missed:frown:
Hang on:
59 Minutes GOAL Alonso AC Milan 3 Liverpool 3:biggrin:
Extra Time
AC Milan 3 Liverpool 3
Its Now Penalties

FULL TIME RESULT&OUTCOME
THE CUP AS COME BACK HOME:woo :woo :woo

uncle eric
26.05.2005, 16:07
hello friends,

me and our ada watched the match last night. when liverpool's inside right half back or something, i think his name was gerald, kicked that goal, i nearly choked on my rich teas. ada thought i was having one of my turns! and drew deck in the goal, he looks a bright prospect, doesn't he? lovely.

and lovely to see that the sports governing body u.e.f.i.f.a or some such thing are letting in all those teams that didn't win something as well. makes for a much fairer competition.

IYOUNG
26.05.2005, 16:18
Ha HA Ha!! Found this earlier in the thread. Yeah it was so tedious last night that I started dozing off....not!

You want ketchup on those words mate!? :clap:

No agreed the first half wasn't tedious - it was HILARIOUS

Fair play though to come back like that against a top team deserves credit
why they had to go back into their defensive shell having got AC Milan on the run is typical though isn't it.

Liverpool fans understandably ecstatic but keep it in proportion like your manager is

Cornishwomble
26.05.2005, 16:55
How can you put a European cup win into "proportion" especially when you are 3-0 down at half time and it's a competiton you haven't won for 20 years? I'm not a Liverpool fan but even I can see why it's such a great achievement for them.

2nd man down
26.05.2005, 16:58
No agreed the first half wasn't tedious - it was HILARIOUS

Fair play though to come back like that against a top team deserves credit
why they had to go back into their defensive shell having got AC Milan on the run is typical though isn't it.

Liverpool fans understandably ecstatic but keep it in proportion like your manager is

Oh and your team is bored of winning it i suppose?!?!? :confused:

IYOUNG
26.05.2005, 17:12
Oh and your team is bored of winning it i suppose?!?!? :confused:

Yawn Yawn!!!

My team has nothing to do with it, I have already said what a great come back it was from Liverpool and I congratulate them on that.

Liverpool winning is a real acheivement and at the end of the day like Arsenal on saturday they scored the same number of goals as the opponents and more penalties.

The hard facts of the match were that they were plain Awful in the first half
played well for 15 minutes and then defensively for the remainder.

Benitez is rightly calm in the face of this hysteria

geordiecolin
26.05.2005, 17:56
Excellent game last night, thought the Scousers were dead and buried at half time but all credit it to them....

Watching some of Milan's football at times in the first half was simply mesmerising, great stuff.

Congratulations Liverpool!! I was very very jealous last night, won't ever see Shearer lifting that cup.

My only gripe was Gabby Logan prattling on pre-match about Liverpool's trophy drought.. err, hang on, didn't they win a treble a few years back?? Newcastle or Spurs, now there's 2 clubs with trophy droughts!

Chris Sanders
26.05.2005, 18:58
Now reflecting on last nights performance and acheiving the silverware at the top of club football...

Do the non-beleivers still question Gerrard as a world class player??

dyl
26.05.2005, 22:00
Yawn Yawn!!!

Never a truer word spoken!

Liverpool winning is a real acheivement and at the end of the day like Arsenal on saturday they scored the same number of goals as the opponents and more penalties.

And you celebrated Arsenal's win, right?

The hard facts of the match were that they were plain Awful in the first half
played well for 15 minutes and then defensively for the remainder.

That 15 minutes was 20 earlier i nthis thread as posted by yourself - get your facts right please. Agreed with the fact that we were awful in the first half - but matches last for more than 45 minutes if you check the rules.

Benitez is rightly calm in the face of this hysteria

Calm? CALM? The guy hasn't stopped smiling since last night - that's the type of guy he is - calm on the outside but beaming on the inside - not wanting to take the credit and let his players take in the plaudits - makes such a change fro mother moaning managers who look for an excuse for everything.

Well done red men - you are all legends.

dyl
26.05.2005, 23:00
And just to emphasise what last night meant to everyone involved with Liverpool FC, from today's Independent:

Agony, tension... and then joy sweeps Anfield
Liverpool come from 3-0 down to win on penalties
By Ian Herbert, North of England Correspondent
26 May 2005

So profound was the gloom that had engulfed Anfield's Sandon pub that the fag man resumed his nightly round, hawking a large bag of contraband smokes. That was at 9pm, moments before Steven Gerrard's header began one of European football's most remarkable comebacks.

The fag man was almost up-ended when Liverpool's second was fired home two minutes later by Vladimir Smicer - and had vanished entirely by the time of Xabi Alonso's third, to be replaced as the main spectacle by a man in a kilt and a fez doing an Irish jig outside on Oakfield Road, in the shadow of Liverpool's Anfield football ground.

Amid all the mayhem, Tony Hope leaned forward and tapped this correspondent on the shoulder. "Know where I've been at half-time....? Down the memorial," he said - a reference to the eternal flame that has burned outside Anfield since 1989, when 96 of the club's fans died in the Hillsborough disaster.

"I told them: 'We're here for you every day of the week and now we need you to be here for us.' So now we've got 96 of them, running on the pitch for us."

A survivor of the disaster, he pulled up a black T-shirt to reveal his left breast, adorned with a tattoo bearing the words "96: You'll never walk alone."

Alan McNabb, 60, a mechanical fitter, was in Rome to see the late Bob Paisley lift their first European Cup in 1977. "We were the best team in Europe back then," he said, as his team completed their victory. "Now we're not the best in Europe, or even the best in England. We've done this on incredible grit and determination."

Outside on the cold pavement, men stripped to the waist and rolled around, perilously close to the cars which klaxoned and swayed their way down to the city. This was the fulfilment of an expectation which had been growing since Chelsea were overcome in the semi-final, at Anfield two weeks ago.

By yesterday, any self-respecting Liverpudlian could recite the omens: every time Liverpool had won the European Cup they defeated teams in white - just like AC Milan; the Star Wars saga began in 1977 (Paisley's year) and has just concluded; the Aussie cricket team tours England this year,as they did in 1977.

After the hype and gloom and the ecstasy came the agony. Kilt-man, Stephen Murphy, a Hearts fan from Pennycuick, outside Edinburgh, came down to earth as extra time dragged on. "It's unbearable," was all he could say, although his friend, Darren Brock, who as an Everton fan is more accustomed to footballing agony, told him it was "not all over till the fat lady sings."

He was right. A desperate double save from the Liverpool keeper sent the chant of "Jayzee Dooodek" (Liverpudlian for Jerzy Dudek) ringing.

And through it all, the appropriately named Tony Hope remained motionless until the end. "See what I say," he murmured as Dudek saved his second spot kick and Liverpool erupted in jubilation. "96 ****** goalkeepers we had out there tonight. Didn't stand a chance did they?" And with that he was off, back to the memorial to pay some thanks.

IYOUNG
27.05.2005, 09:07
Never a truer word spoken!

And you celebrated Arsenal's win, right?

That 15 minutes was 20 earlier i nthis thread as posted by yourself - get your facts right please. Agreed with the fact that we were awful in the first half - but matches last for more than 45 minutes if you check the rules.

Calm? CALM? The guy hasn't stopped smiling since last night - that's the type of guy he is - calm on the outside but beaming on the inside - not wanting to take the credit and let his players take in the plaudits - makes such a change fro mother moaning managers who look for an excuse for everything.

Well done red men - you are all legends.

Glad you agree Dyl that one liners about my team that have no relevance to this thread are tiresome!!

15 / 20 minutes don't be pedantic now the general picture was evident!

I did indeed celebrate Arsenal win but you will note the absence of loads of posts going on and on about how my team are legends etc etc
No over the top stuff just calm pleasure.

Totally agree that more Benetiz type managers would be good for the game.

2nd man down
27.05.2005, 09:46
Glad you agree Dyl that one liners about my team that have no relevance to this thread are tiresome!!

15 / 20 minutes don't be pedantic now the general picture was evident!

I did indeed celebrate Arsenal win but you will note the absence of loads of posts going on and on about how my team are legends etc etc
No over the top stuff just calm pleasure.

Totally agree that more Benetiz type managers would be good for the game.

Excuse me, not sure if I'm just being thick here.
Point 1. I was not having a dig at Arsenal (who incidentally i regard in the 10 ten teams in the world) I was pointing out that supporters of teams that bring home the European cup have every right to be overjoyed and sing about it...I wish I could. (Huddersfield Town fan patiently waiting for his team to be great once more)

Point 2. If you don't want to hear or read about Liverpool fans extolling the vitues of their club, what on earth ate you doing reading a thread entitled "Liverpool Football Club"?!?!? :confused:

IYOUNG
27.05.2005, 10:45
Excuse me, not sure if I'm just being thick here.
Point 1. I was not having a dig at Arsenal (who incidentally i regard in the 10 ten teams in the world) I was pointing out that supporters of teams that bring home the European cup have every right to be overjoyed and sing about it...I wish I could. (Huddersfield Town fan patiently waiting for his team to be great once more)

Point 2. If you don't want to hear or read about Liverpool fans extolling the vitues of their club, what on earth ate you doing reading a thread entitled "Liverpool Football Club"?!?!? :confused:

'' Oh and your team is bored of winning it - I suppose''

Thats either a dig at me or my team isn't it?

Ah so what we are saying here is this thread really should be called '' Liverpool Football Club - only post on here if your going to be saying how great Liverpool are no other comment allowed''

Its called Football banter - a game of opinions everyone has one

Chris Sanders
27.05.2005, 10:55

Ah so what we are saying here is this thread really should be called '' Liverpool Football Club - only post on here if your going to be saying how great Liverpool are no other comment allowed''

But football isnt a game of opinions...

Its a game of facts...

Liverpool have acheived outstanding success this season, so only a fool could fault them...

Throughout the rest of the year I will hate Liverpool, but since they were the representitives of our fine nation in the final, I am proud of them. I am not bitter that my team wasnt good enough to get there as many ARSEnal and Man Ure fans are...

2nd man down
27.05.2005, 11:11

Ah but don't move the goal posts here, your comment appeared to be aimed at the fans obvious pleasure rather than the teams acheivement! You were asking them to pipe down and be more like their manager.

Of course they're going to praise their team on here, this is the thread to do it in surely?

IYOUNG
27.05.2005, 11:13
But football isnt a game of opinions...

Its a game of facts...

Liverpool have acheived outstanding success this season, so only a fool could fault them...

Throughout the rest of the year I will hate Liverpool, but since they were the representitives of our fine nation in the final, I am proud of them. I am not bitter that my team wasnt good enough to get there as many ARSEnal and Man Ure fans are...

and I have stated several times my congratulations to Liverpool on their fantastic success on Wednesday winning the cup against all the odds. So no bitterness here

What I am trying to get to is a proper analysis of the game without all the hype that surrounded the result, and in my humble opinion Liverpool were on top for only 15/20 minutes. I don't deny their fantastic spirit / powers of receovery.

Chris Sanders
27.05.2005, 11:13
Of course they're going to praise their team on here, this is the thread to do it in surely?

Agreed...

Should I start a "Bitter Arsenal Fans" thread??

Chris Sanders
27.05.2005, 11:15
and I have stated several times my congratulations to Liverpool on their fantastic success on Wednesday winning the cup against all the odds. So no bitterness here

What I am trying to get to is a proper analysis of the game without all the hype that surrounded the result, and in my humble opinion Liverpool were on top for only 15/20 minutes. I don't deny their fantastic spirit / powers of receovery.

To fight back from 3-0 down away from home and in a foreign country and go on to win it...

They deserve it!!

IYOUNG
27.05.2005, 11:34
Agreed...

Should I start a "Bitter Arsenal Fans" thread??

You may and you won't find anything from me on there !!!!!

Cornishwomble
27.05.2005, 15:00

Proper analysis mm. Well I can either take your proper analysis which seems to say that it wasn't really anything exciting and people shouldn't be going over bnoard about

Or

I could take the analysis given by nearly every football writer in Europe, nearly every "proven" football player/ manger/ pundit from this country and in others including Italy (even AC Milan's manager) where they say that it was an incredible achivement ranking up there with the all time finals in the history of football.

Well I've thought about it and I think I'll go with the second option. Football is about opinions and you are entitled to yours and if that's the way you feel then that's your right but in my opinion you are way way way off of the mark.

IYOUNG
27.05.2005, 18:29
Proper analysis mm. Well I can either take your proper analysis which seems to say that it wasn't really anything exciting and people shouldn't be going over bnoard about

Or

I could take the analysis given by nearly every football writer in Europe, nearly every "proven" football player/ manger/ pundit from this country and in others including Italy (even AC Milan's manager) where they say that it was an incredible achivement ranking up there with the all time finals in the history of football.

Well I've thought about it and I think I'll go with the second option. Football is about opinions and you are entitled to yours and if that's the way you feel then that's your right but in my opinion you are way way way off of the mark.

Youve fallen into the same trap as everyone else Roy if you don't mind me saying

Yes it was exciting Ive never said it wasn't and a great comeback, but the proper match analysis will tell you (as should eyes not covered with rose tinted spectacles) that liverpool were out played for the majority of the game, that is all I am saying.

As an avid Gooner I should know what it is like to be outplayed and still win - shouldn't I.

The result will show Liverpool FC Champions of Europe - thats fair enough

As an aside I note after the cup final the pundits deploring that penalties are a poor way of settling a big occasion, not so after Wednesday.....funny that

Cornishwomble
29.05.2005, 12:40
I haven't fallen into any trap and I don't wear rose-tinted glasses as I've never supported Liverpool.

What I do have is a passion for football that extends to loving an underdog come back against adversity. They didn't play well, they went 3-0 down, in fact they were underdogs all season to win the thing and the fact is they won.

They are an english team so I'm chuffed for them I'm also chuffed becuase of the nature of the win. As I said I love the underdog, it's why my fondest memory of football was watching my team Wimbledon at Wembley beat Liverpool after enduring a day of scousers patting me on the head tellingme that I should enjoy the day cos we were lucky to be there and it's still good if you lose.

The record won't just say Liverpool champions of Europe the story will be told time and time again how a team underachieving in the league managed against the run of form to come back from 3-0 down againxt a "legendary" defence in an Italian team not known for shipping goals and won.

No-one who has this view has fallen into a trap, it's just that we have a certain point of view. One that I'm glad to share with most of the respected people in the football business. It's just you don't share that view which is fine. But please don't tell me I am wrong because I'm not. Just as you are not wrong in the way you feel.

The only reason Arsenal's result last weekend doesn't comapre is because;
1 You haven't played too bad this season so can't be considered and out of form team
2 The game finished 0-0 so it wasn't the same impact as coming back from 3-0 down

And as my old man is a gooner I'm quite chuffed they won!

Dave Payn
29.05.2005, 17:05
As an Arsenal fan I've noticed that this thread has developed into a bit of a tit for tat between Liverpool's win and Arsenal's FA Cup win. So....

Firstly, as this thread is entitled Liverpool Football Club, I'll start with them. I'm absolutely chuffed for them! An incredible comeback which I daresay even the most diehard Liverpool fan wouldn't have dare predicted. To dismiss their achievement, by simply saying that in the second half, that they played well and scored three quick goals and then went defensive again shows, in my view, a lack of understanding. Once Liverpool had got those goals back, if they had continued to lay siege to the Milan goal, they would have doubtless been nobbled on the counter attack (a la Milan's second just after Liverpool had a penalty claim denied them). If they played for penalties thereafter, so what? It's part and parcel of the rules of the final and Milan certainly helped themselves to a Champions League win against Juventus on penalties after one of the dullest ever finals I can remember! At least Liverpool scored some goals in outfield play prior to the penalty shoot out! (Unlike Arseanl against Man Utd in the FA Cup final but more of that later....). In any case, a team which knocks out Chelsea, Juventus and Milan, however it was done, deserves to have a case for winning that trophy!

Some might argue that Liverpool, who finished fourth in their league last season and 35-ish points behind the Premiership champions this season, have devalued the Champions League somewhat by managing to win it. Maybe, maybe not, but if they don't get the opportunity to defend their trophy, that will devalue the competition even further. It's why I don't agree that the world champions (in this case, currently Brazil) don't now automatically qualify for the next World Cup as holders. Liverpool won it fair and square and should be given the right to defend it. If anything's at fault here, it's the 'rules' about the number of qualifying teams. Perhaps UEFA assumed that no team finishing outside the qualifying parameters in their domestic league when four teams automatically qualify could possibly win the CL. Well, tough! It's happened now! And think about it, if Liverpool met Everton in the CL next season! Surely an attractive fixture domestically, anyway!

As for Arsenal.... well, I was embarrassed by the way they played and on the balance of play, of course Man U deserved to win it, but if you don't score goals in outfield play, you can't 'automatically' win games. Arsenal outplayed Liverpool in the 2001 final, had a cast iron penalty turned down (in my view) but Liverpool deserved to win it because they took more of their chances. OK, not quite the same scenario as last Saturday as Arsenal didn't score in normal or extra time, but as I said with regard to the CL final, the penalty shoot out was part and parcel of the rules of that particular match. Maybe penalties are the wrong way of deciding a one off match like that, but no one's come up with a more workable solution yet (you notice that 'golden' and 'silver' goals seem to be being phased out?) and in any case, Arsenal can't be blamed for the way the rules are set up!

So..erm.. there! ;)

MickM
29.05.2005, 17:19
^Wow! Follow that :clap: ^

Cornishwomble
29.05.2005, 19:10
Yes Dave couldn't agree more :clap:

Dave Payn
29.05.2005, 19:26
Thank ye kindly, Mick and Roy.

And whilst we're on topic, I could not believe Mourinho bemoaning that the best team didn't win in the semi finals. Liverpool won with (an albeit disputed) goal, but those things happen. Over 180 minutes, Chelsea could not break the Liverpool defence once. Football IS about quality defending as well as quality attacking (The Milan v Juventus final I referred to previously was, in my view, shoddy attacking play rather than quality defending). Chelsea probed and probed, but in the end, it's difficult to feel sorry for a side that, despite the multi millions available to them, ended up with three players playing out of position because of 'squad shortage'? Que?? Makes me wonder whether Mourinho is quite the manager he's cracked up to be, certainly regarding 'talent spotting'. I still rate Wenger, Ferguson and even David Moyes higher in that capacity!

2nd man down
30.05.2005, 00:10
Well said Dave. :tup

Roll on the Huddersfield Dynasty, then you can all stop having to talk about two bit clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea.

Dave Payn
30.05.2005, 17:10
Well said Dave. :tup

Roll on the Huddersfield Dynasty, then you can all stop having to talk about two bit clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea.

Ah, Crawford but there is a link between Huddersfield and Arsenal you know......

Herbert Chapman. He left the Huddersfield Dysentery and went to Arsenal where he really kick started their trophy winning years! ;)

IYOUNG
30.05.2005, 20:10
To dismiss their achievement, by simply saying that in the second half, that they played well and scored three quick goals and then went defensive again shows, in my view, a lack of understanding. Once Liverpool had got those goals back, if they had continued to lay siege to the Milan goal, they would have doubtless been nobbled on the counter attack (a la Milan's second just after Liverpool had a penalty claim denied them). If they played for penalties thereafter, so what? It's part and parcel of the rules of the final ;)

Some valid points Dave, I must come back at you on a couple though

there is no lack of understanding on my part i can assure you, how can you be so ''undoubtedly sure'' Milan would have nobbled Liverpool? seems to me that unless Dudek hadn't pulled off a wonder save Liverpool would have lost anyway.
I saw with my own eyes as you clearly did.

As for ''playing for penalties''........that line says everything I have attempted to write.

Yes pefectly within the rules
Yes Milan and many others have done the same and succeded and good luck to them.
Exciting for the neutral - well yes in a way

what football should be about.....no

dyl
30.05.2005, 20:40

Football's a sport, right? And as such - everything is geared towards winning? Right? :cool:

Dave Payn
30.05.2005, 20:42
Some valid points Dave, I must come back at you on a couple though

there is no lack of understanding on my part i can assure you, how can you be so ''undoubtedly sure'' Milan would have nobbled Liverpool? seems to me that unless Dudek hadn't pulled off a wonder save Liverpool would have lost anyway.
I saw with my own eyes as you clearly did.

As for ''playing for penalties''........that line says everything I have attempted to write.

Yes pefectly within the rules
Yes Milan and many others have done the same and succeded and good luck to them.
Exciting for the neutral - well yes in a way

Good questions. But....

Liverpool achieved what was pretty unthinkable anyway by pulling those three goals back. I doubt if any team in such a situation would have succeeded by continuing to press forward thereafter for the rest of the second half without being 'nobbled' on the counter attack, particularly against a side as skilful in that department as Milan are. Liverpool got back to parity and to continue risking all for a winner in that particular situation (which after all, is quite rare in major football finals) would have been footballing suicide on their part. How many other teams have pulled back three quick goals against a Milan defence in recent years? Once they achieved that, why shouldn't they earn the right to keep it cautious?

'What football should be about.... no'

What should football be about, then? Being 3-0 down at half time in a major final, getting back to 3-3 against a renowned defence and using the penalty shoot out as a get-out clause if needs be. In that rare situation, I reckon many other teams would have done the same. Sure, Dudek pulled off a great save followed by a flukey save (nothing wrong with a fluke, mind you) but that's how football happens sometimes. 'If it had gone in'. Well how many games would have changed course if a ball had gone in the net or a cast iron penalty not been denied or the referee/assistant referee had spotted a ball going over the line etc. etc. etc.?

dyl
30.05.2005, 20:49
Dave - I really think it's time you left this thread alone - you're making way too much sense! ;)

IYOUNG
30.05.2005, 21:35
Good questions. But....

Liverpool achieved what was pretty unthinkable anyway by pulling those three goals back. I doubt if any team in such a situation would have succeeded by continuing to press forward thereafter for the rest of the second half without being 'nobbled' on the counter attack, particularly against a side as skilful in that department as Milan are. Liverpool got back to parity and to continue risking all for a winner in that particular situation (which after all, is quite rare in major football finals) would have been footballing suicide on their part. How many other teams have pulled back three quick goals against a Milan defence in recent years? Once they achieved that, why shouldn't they earn the right to keep it cautious?

'What football should be about.... no'

What should football be about, then? Being 3-0 down at half time in a major final, getting back to 3-3 against a renowned defence and using the penalty shoot out as a get-out clause if needs be. In that rare situation, I reckon many other teams would have done the same. Sure, Dudek pulled off a great save followed by a flukey save (nothing wrong with a fluke, mind you) but that's how football happens sometimes. 'If it had gone in'. Well how many games would have changed course if a ball had gone in the net or a cast iron penalty not been denied or the referee/assistant referee had spotted a ball going over the line etc. etc. etc.?

I have to keep saying I don't deny it was a great comeback don't I, that is not in dispute neither is their passion and desire, both of which they should be proud of.

In my book it would have been more entertaining if they had continued to search for a 4th, sitting back almost cost them dear, be adventurous and go for the ''jugular'' why not?

thats what the beautiful game is about.

Jose Murhino touched on it after the semi final I recall.

2nd man down
31.05.2005, 12:26
Ah, Crawford but there is a link between Huddersfield and Arsenal you know......

Herbert Chapman. He left the Huddersfield Dysentery and went to Arsenal where he really kick started their trophy winning years! ;)

You don't need to tell me Dave, oh how our history would have been written if he'd not jumped ship to Arsenal.

6 consecutive league titles with two different clubs speaks for itself. The man was a god.

(Of course we have a pretty good link with Liverpool too, the got the late, great Bill Shankley from us! ;) )

madandcrazytromboneguy
01.06.2005, 03:31
heres my end of season review

chelsea have bought the title, but i do agree that mourinho has done a good job making 11 good individual players play well as a team
pos. lampard and cech have been excellent this season
neg. perhaps a slight lack of regular goal scoring

arsenal never really recovered after gettin their 1st league loss since leeds beat them the season before they went completely unbeaten in the league, glad to see them finish above man utd tho
pos. good young players given the chance to shine this season
neg. big name players getting injured too much, cost them the title

man utd did well in defence considering that they didnt have a settled gk and no decent player to team up with rio, heinze and silvestre, all there other 1st team defenders i dont rate at all!, only rooney and smith at times shone in attack
pos. some young players given a chance, and 3 good defenders mentioned above
neg. poor upfront, shouldn't have brought ruud back straight away, very poor

everton have done great considering the sale of rooney and gravesen, they brought in cahill whos been superb and nigel martyn has had a very solid season
pos. cahill, and a very solid defence, not much got through it
neg. not great upfront, top scorer i think was m.bent and he didnt score too many

liverpool in the league have not met their usual high standards, cisse's leg break was horrid and i wouldnt want that to happen to too many players(i could name a few tho;)), they had 6 very good mins in the champs lg final and ended up winning it, but they arent the best team in europe, and ive heard some rubbish that they are gonna relegate everton to the uefa cup and put liverpool in their place in the champs lg, its totally wrong!, and i dont think liverpool should be able to defend their title coz they didnt do well enough in their domestic lg!, if it happened to another team, fifa or uefa wouldnt make special changes in the rules for them!, it makes me sick and they should have played better to earn 4th place!
pos. i think cisse and morientes would have made a good strikeforce, hyppia solid
neg. some poor foreigners, too inconsistant, should play in uefa cup next season

bolton have done great this season and some good experienced players brought in, jussi in goal has made some excellent saves all season, very solid defence, some skillfull midfielders, and diouf upfront has found a new leese of form, a uefa cup slot well deserved, good job big sam!
pos. good allround team effort, should be well equipped in the uefa cup
neg. hierro retiring, they could need someone like him for the uefa cup

middlesbrough have done well considering all their injuries this season, their 1st 11 when all fully fit would have beaten most teams this season, an exciting finish against man city to get the hard fought last uefa cup slot
pos. jones, mcmahon, morrison, downing, graham, all good young players
neg. too many injuries, they will need a fully fit squad for the uefa cup

man city had an unexpected rise of form and it was down to 1 man, psycho stu pearce, he's tightened up the defence, got the midfielders passing the ball, and the strikers baggin a few goals, he's got the basics workin and im pleased for man city that pearce has got a chance to do well next season
pos. stuart pearce, a great manager for the future and for next season
neg. too many average players, pearce might need a clear out for next season

spurs might feel a bit down after failing to get into europe, a lot of signings made but jol has given spurs a new spirit within their team, with the right 1st 11 picked, they could be a uefa cup possibility for next season
pos. robinson, solid as ever, defoe, scoring plenty of goals, good goals at that!
neg. too many new players all at once, and santini got them off to a bad start

aston villa have been a team that you didnt hear much of this season coz they were what their final position is, average!, o'leary when given the cash can buy some very good players, but he might need more than ellis is willing to give
pos. not sure to be honest, not bad playing as a team, fairly solid at times
neg. not enough quality to better their position, finished on a minus goal tally

charlton have done this season what they seem to do every season, they push for a uefa cup spot and then they fluff it with about 8 games to go, curbishley is a good manager and he's proving it every season but he needs that bit extra to see his team in the uefa cup, could do with another star player to boost the 1st 11
pos. yet another top half finish, rommedahl not a bad signing
neg. yet another no uefa cup slot, need a bit of extra quality for next season

birmingham have not done as well as i thought they could have done this season, last season they did very well, even finished ahead of their neighbours aston villa, this season they have been too average, too much money spent on average players has not helped them at all!
pos. pennant and pandiani looked good at times, even heskey scored some goals!
neg. just too average, some more quality needed to get back into the top half

fulham with some of the players they have should do a bit better, god knows how they let in 60 goals with vandersar in goal!, this will help me with their pos. and neg. comments coz ive not seen too much of fulham this season
pos. papa bouba diop, 1 of the prems best midfielders this season
neg. their defence!, 60 goals let in!, sign a decent centre back or 2 cc!

newcastle have been the BIGGEST! flop of the season for me, good goalie, rubbish defence till boumsong and babayaro got signed, midfielders have majorly under acheived this season, shearer got the goals in europe but only 7 in the league i think, kuivert was hopeless and should have been much better
pos. not sure, although i though milner did ok when he finally got a chance!
neg. nearly everything!, 2 more good defs. and a striker needed, midfield average

blackburn have had a hard season, only the south african and new zealand captains signed and they really could do with a pre season clearout and try and sign some good out of contract players to add some quality
pos. friedel has kept the goals down to just 43 let in
neg. poor up front and not enough quality in midfield

portsmouth werent helped by the change of managers all season, they couldnt get any decent form going and i thought with yakubu upfront and what should have been hislop in goal, they should have been ok at both ends of the pitch
pos. perrin could be a good manager for next season, need to keep yakubu
neg. too many staff changes, chalkias not suited in goal, 39 a poor points total

west brom were extreamly lucky to stay up and it was partially down to southampton having man utd and arsenal in their 2 last games of the season and norwich getting totally battered! 6-0 on the final day
pos. gera has been excellant to be fair, 1 of the better midfielders this season
neg. slack at the back, kanu and earnshaw should have been good upfront

crystal palace have just not had enough quality all season, andy johnson and gibor kiraly have shone though and should attract interest from prem teams next season, can't see c.p. keeping their young talent either
pos. johnsons goals, kiraly's saves, some good younger players
neg. defence and midfield too poor all season, not enough quality or experience

norwich had some wins against some of the bigger teams, beating man utd just to name 1, but had some bad losses against teams around them in the table, the 6-0 bashing just to mention 1, not enough goals from huckerby or mckenzie, ashton was a good signing eventually but was signed way too late on
pos. dean ashtons goals, robert green not bad at times
neg. awful defence! 70 goals let in, the worst! in the premiership!

southampton were unlucky to finish rock bottom after that last game and a gutsy performance against man utd just wasnt enough in the end, paul smith depped well for niemi when needed and crouch, phillips, and camara all had their moments upfront, and i think that harry and jamie together can steady the ship there for next season, they need to keep their good players though to stand a chance of promotion as the championship is a wide open division to play in
pos. good strikers, good goalies, midfield not bad at times
neg. defence very poor, need to sign a rock solid centre back for the championship

an unusual season with some teams shining above their own expectations, others failing miserably, the points gap at the top was far greater than the points gap at the bottom and 5 teams scoring under 40 points was quite a surprize, can't see much happening from the teams coming up but they will need some extra quality to stay up, this seasons poor teams that have avoided the drop though could be the 1s worst off for next season, i think another relegation battle will be the exciting part of the prem next season, london seems to be dominating the premiership nearly as much as glasgow dominated the spl, can anyone stop chelsea?, arsenal with a fully fit squad maybe, man utd need 1 more quality defender, a star goalie, and some more consistancy upfront, maybe the midfield aint all its cracked up to be either, ronaldo and rooney though have done well, liverpool need more consistancy in the league, perhaps not too many signings needed, prolly more sales actually, and as for newcastle, well i think they can be erased from the BIG teams brigade now, sack souness, get a manager in who knows what he's doing, and have a major clearout of the averageness which is half their squad and give their very good young players some quality experienced players to help them out, shearer should become manager with an experienced assistant at his side. would like to see the good smaller teams do well next season, everton, bolton, middlesbrough, aston villa and fulham would be the 1s i would look out for next season, man city just need to carry on their good form under new boss pearce and spurs under jol aswell, spurs could be very good but they need to sort out their youth academy, they can't keep signing the great youth from elsewhere forever, birmingham, pompey and blackburn need to sort themselves out to avoid a releation battle next season, the 3 teams coming up need to spend their money wisely, or go back down again!, bring on 2005/2006!

Chris Sanders
01.06.2005, 09:42
he's tightened up the defence

Nope, the defence was already tight, our best asset all season was Richard Dunne, he's been excellent (except for the derby).

and the strikers baggin a few goals

Purely down to Robbie Fowler, he's finally found consistency in his form, and dispite a lack of pace he's still got the class when he's near the box...

too many average players, pearce might need a clear out for next season

We have a small squad and a £62 million pound debt, we cant afford to...

madandcrazytromboneguy
01.06.2005, 23:02
what has pearce done that keegan wasnt doing tho coz you went from being a couple of places above the drop zone to almost pushing for the uefa cup, just by changing manager and somehow finding a new batch of good form?

Chris Sanders
02.06.2005, 10:44
what has pearce done that keegan wasnt doing tho coz you went from being a couple of places above the drop zone to almost pushing for the uefa cup, just by changing manager and somehow finding a new batch of good form?

12th isnt just a couple of places above the drop zone...

Keegan wasnt doing a bad job... But Pearce did an excellent job in his 9 games...

Pearce is a breath of fresh air... I hope it lasts...

manx_yessir
03.06.2005, 12:49
Copied from www.liverpoolfc.tv

I nearly fell off my chair laughing at this!! :clap: :lol:

Joe Cole claimed he couldn't bear to watch the Champions League final but it seems a few fans from Chelsea couldn't resist. This is a transcript of their conversation on an unofficial Chelsea website on the night of May 25 2005.
The transcript is from the message boards of CFCnet, "the intelligent forum" for fans of the Champions, Chelsea FC" and hundreds of Liverpool supporters have emailed it in to liverpoolfc.tv asking us to publish it in all its glory.

Remember this is taken from an unofficial Chelsea supporters website and not the Official Chelsea Football Club website. The supporters nicknames are presented in bold with their comments below. Enjoy.

h3rby

Liverpool are 1-0 down already :S ..not Crespo though :(

hernancrespo

Crespo almost scored!

dannyblue

bot bothered about crespo, just want milan to in so dont have to face "champions league your havin a larf" from the scousers next season. come on milan!!!

Paul Mcgoochan

Stop laughing you lot, he says, wiping tears from his eyes.
LOL,LOL,LOL.

Scott Miller

Kewell looks set to come off with a thigh injury. What a waste of money he was.

davidleighfisher

Kewell - the new Darren Anderton???

HA HA HA

h3rby

Crespo!!!!!!!!!!..................2-0

hernancrespo

I've scored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Mcgoochan

CRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOO OO
2-0

johnnysunshine

goal to Crespo! come on Chelsea!

Alex Kirke

2-0 2-0

IT'S CRESPO :D

davidleighfisher

Paying half his wages for a season, was well worth that one moment!

Well done Crespo - the boy done good!

BYE BYE Mickey Mousers - Losers in 2 finals, 5th in the league and 37 points behind the CHAMPIONS, they must be sooo proud!

h3rby

omg crespo again!!!!!>...........get in 3-0

dannyblue

hernan crespo hernan crespo oooh oohh hernan crespo hernan crespo. yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!!!!!!!

hernancrespo

Crespo 3-0!

Alex Kirke

I loved that!

'Chelsea's revenge'

Paul Mcgoochan

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Am I going to enjoy work tomorrow.

h3rby

woooohooo a 4-0 pummling would be nice srespo hatrick muhahahahaha

Scott Miller

Sorry lads, I've got a meeting in a couple minutes and I won't be able to approve any of the second half posts. This isn't the normal match day thread where the posts don't require approval. Hopefully another moderator will be around for the second half.

3-0 at half-time. Silly Silly Scousers! They can add that to their wonderful history!

Jackass1987

Kaka! Kaka! Kaka!

Kaka was amazing! Hes superb! Bid for him! 100m!!!

Anyway Crespo ....2 for Chelsea!

Khobar

Thanks Liverpool - FOR EMBARASSING THE PREMIER LEAGUE!!

LMAO :-) A few million on Crespos transfer fee methinks.

2nd man down
03.06.2005, 12:59
There's an old saying, something to do with egg and faces, just can't bring it to mind at the moment. I bet that message board was like a ghost town during the second half (or at very least had a rather swift change of subject!).

Wonder what the conversation will be like when Abramovic gets bored and takes his wonga elsewhere...it would take Chelsea generations to get over the debt that would leave them in (if at all possible!)...hope they can enjoy it while it lasts.

manx_yessir
03.06.2005, 13:10
Paul Mcgoochan

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Am I going to enjoy work tomorrow.

Scott Miller

3-0 at half-time. Silly Silly Scousers! They can add that to their wonderful history!

Khobar

Thanks Liverpool - FOR EMBARASSING THE PREMIER LEAGUE!!

I can't decide which is my favourite line! absolutley PRICELESS!! :biggrin:

2nd man down
03.06.2005, 13:57
I bet Paul McGoochan had a WONDERFUL day at work!! PMSL!!! He'll have had a face like a slapped a*se!!! :D

ian perks
11.06.2005, 17:41
Well its a early start for 2005-2006 but

RAFAS MEN ARE IN:clap: :biggrin:

rutty
13.06.2005, 12:39
http://www.davidrutt.me.uk/archives/scousercup.jpg

IYOUNG
13.06.2005, 12:43
http://www.davidrutt.me.uk/archives/scousercup.jpg